PDA

View Full Version : Is wearing a headset 5+ hours a day causing breakage?

Athelina
May 22nd, 2019, 01:20 PM
As the title suggests, I spend an awfully long time every day with my headset on. The hair around my ears are very short compared to the rest, and it doesn't seem to grow. I can't remember if it has ever been long in the past...
But I do remember a time when I could have all of my hair nicely in a ponytail. Now the hairs around my ears fall out of it.

Have anyone else experienced something like this? Should I perhaps switch to speakers and earbuds? Or is the headset even the problem? Is it normal to have short hair around the ears?

lapushka
May 22nd, 2019, 01:26 PM
If it's just short hairs around the ears, we all have those, so I wouldn't panic if it's that. Check out the wispy hair club here on the LHC:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555&highlight=wispies

Or is it *truly* breakage into the hairline from the headset, because that is different.

Do you have a picture of the issue? Maybe we can assess it better then.

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forum. :flower:

zmirina
May 22nd, 2019, 01:32 PM
MY hair keeps getting stuck in my headset, so when i take it off i hear it snapping
so i guess it depends? try to braid it, so that it's not moved/sucked into the headset as much

TreesOfEternity
May 22nd, 2019, 01:50 PM
All the hair around my ears is short and won’t grow, and I’m pretty sure it’s not breakage. It doesn’t look the best but oh well what can we do.

I don’t think it’s breakage but you can share a pic so we can judge it better if you wish :) Otherwise there are certain hairstyles to catch those little hairs in an updo.

Athelina
May 22nd, 2019, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply! So I might be overreacting and it's just wispy hair, but here's a picture anyways:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163965735@N08/47910840101/in/dateposted-public/

I'm just afraid that having the same places rubbed by an objekt almost everyday will cause breakage...

And thanks for welcoming me! :heartbeat

lithostoic
May 22nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
I have some minor breakage around my hairline from wearing glasses but I don't mind because it blends into my baby hairs. It doesn't interfere with the length of my hair.

Athelina
May 22nd, 2019, 02:10 PM
(I don't think I'm allowed to share pictures yet haha)

lapushka
May 22nd, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply! So I might be overreacting and it's just wispy hair, but here's a picture anyways:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163965735@N08/47910840101/in/dateposted-public/

I'm just afraid that having the same places rubbed by an objekt almost everyday will cause breakage...

And thanks for welcoming me! :heartbeat

Yes you can always share if they're hosted on a photohosting site. :flower:
You just have to link it properly.

I think you have nothing to worry about, IMMHO! That looks normal to me!

littlestarface
May 22nd, 2019, 02:18 PM
Unless you hear the breaking or see pieces of hairs in the headset itself I wouldn't blame it on that. I wear my headphones for a really really really long time and I have no breakage.

Ylva
May 22nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Just make sure you place the headphones on gently so that they aren't pulling on hairs or causing tangles. While gaming, I often wear a headset many hours a day, and I haven't seen it fit to worry about it that much. :)

Sora Rose
May 22nd, 2019, 02:57 PM
I don't think I have any breakage from my headsets, although I only I wear mine for brief stints, but my youngest brother has a literal dent in his hair where his headsets rest. It looks quite strange, and I'm still not sure if it's from the headsets pressing his hair flat, actual breakage, or his haircut.

So maybe it's possible, depending on your hair and the headsets you use.

MusicalSpoons
May 22nd, 2019, 03:32 PM
It's possible, if your headset is tight or you move it often, but from your picture that just looks like normal new growth :)

Wusel
May 22nd, 2019, 03:52 PM
I wear a headset up to 3 hours per day but I never experienced any breakage from it. But I think it depends on the headset.

Khristopher
May 22nd, 2019, 04:06 PM
OMG your hair is to die for and I love your shirt :heartbeat
Ok so on topic- I think those are normal wispies. I've used headsets since many many years ago and only now I have some wispies that I suspect are regrowth from a shed I had last year. But everyone has wispies on the front of their hairline! Sometimes they blend better and sometimes they just stick out and are more noticeable. If they have a tappered end, it's not breakage.
Even so, if you're still worried, maybe a beanie/soft hat under the headset can protect your hair, while being stylish haha

Athelina
May 22nd, 2019, 11:27 PM
I think you have nothing to worry about, IMMHO! That looks normal to me!

Ok, thanks so much! That puts my mind at ease haha :o

Jo Ann
May 22nd, 2019, 11:31 PM
FWIW, I sleep with a headset on (yeah, WEIRD https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/suspect.gif I listen to music or documentaries while I sleep), and I have no noticeable breakage.

Athelina
May 22nd, 2019, 11:34 PM
OMG your hair is to die for and I love your shirt :heartbeat
Ok so on topic- I think those are normal wispies. I've used headsets since many many years ago and only now I have some wispies that I suspect are regrowth from a shed I had last year. But everyone has wispies on the front of their hairline!

Aww thanks, angel :heartbeat
But yeah, you're probably right haha! But I do think I want to attempt going without the headset to see if I notice a difference. Thanks for the advice!