PDA

View Full Version : Scalp too dry after shampoo

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 12:21 AM
First off, the hair below my ears was previously dyed. Though I double condition this area, it's still not as soft as my virgin hair. Recently. I've noticed my scalp is dry, a bit sore and itchy. It usually feels OK by the time I wash again, which is a week or more later. With my fine hair, the top few inches get greasy very fast. I'd like to moisturize my scalp, but keep my hair clean. Any suggestions?

I used to let my hair get really dirty, 2 to 3 weeks between washes. (I'm usually home, and couldn't wash my hair without health issues.) I conditioned the whole head once, and immediately rinsed it out. My scalp felt fine but my hair didn't look that great. I can try a light conditioner on my scalp hair, but I'm looking for other ideas.

akurah
May 22nd, 2019, 12:27 AM
I would actually go to the doctor if your scalp is sore and if nothing has changed significantly in your routine, especially if this is new. If nothing else, just to rule out the potential "bad" reasons like a yeast or fungal infection, or ingredient sensitivity

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 01:46 AM
It could be ingredient sensitivity. It doesn't seem like a fungal infection. The change might be significant. I used to accumulate sebum on my dirty hair for 2 more weeks before washing. I think my scalp is getting a lot cleaner, maybe stripping off too much sebum. I always try to brush scalp oil down the length of my hair, maybe I should keep the brush off the scalp itself?

I would actually go to the doctor if your scalp is sore and if nothing has changed significantly in your routine, especially if this is new. If nothing else, just to rule out the potential "bad" reasons like a yeast or fungal infection, or ingredient sensitivity

Joules
May 22nd, 2019, 02:57 AM
Is your scalp sore or is it hair follicles?

If your hair follicles feel painful when you touch or move your hair around (like when putting it up), it could be due to fungal infection. Especially considering that you used to stretch washes so much.

I second the suggestion to go to a doctor. Who knows what can be an issue. If you want to do something asap, try an anti-dandruff shampoo (leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing out), if it helps it could indicate that you have malassezia overgrowth. But still, make an appointment :)

lapushka
May 22nd, 2019, 03:13 AM
It could be ingredient sensitivity. It doesn't seem like a fungal infection. The change might be significant. I used to accumulate sebum on my dirty hair for 2 more weeks before washing. I think my scalp is getting a lot cleaner, maybe stripping off too much sebum. I always try to brush scalp oil down the length of my hair, maybe I should keep the brush off the scalp itself?

In all honesty, if you aren't a doctor, you can't know it's not a fungal infection. Washing less than a week with oily scalp and feeling "dry" effects is exactly what I have sometimes, and I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis which is a fungal overgrowth. Not that you HAVE TO have the same thing going on, but just to say... you can't just wipe if off the table without having a doctor examine your scalp.

I would let the doctor decide, Liz H.

Don't just think it's an ingredient.

Because if it is fungus and you let it "fester", your hair will start to fall out.

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 05:10 AM
Would I feel some buildup on my scalp if it were? I've had psoriasis before and could definitely feel the thick plaque-like flakes. It just feels clean, not even any sebum.

Joules
May 22nd, 2019, 06:25 AM
Would I feel some buildup on my scalp if it were? I've had psoriasis before and could definitely feel the thick plaque-like flakes. It just feels clean, not even any sebum.

Let's not mix psoriasis here. It's a whole different issue with different causes and symptoms.

My Mom has dry scalp with occasional flaking, it is sensitive to regular shampoos. She tried so so many things to treat it, from sulfate-free shampoos to hormonal creams, guess what helped? Good old Head&Shoulders. Seborrheic dermatitis can manifest itself with dry scalp, so it's better to be safe than sorry and visit a dermatologist/trichologist.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2019, 07:55 AM
Let's not mix psoriasis here. It's a whole different issue with different causes and symptoms.

My Mom has dry scalp with occasional flaking, it is sensitive to regular shampoos. She tried so so many things to treat it, from sulfate-free shampoos to hormonal creams, guess what helped? Good old Head&Shoulders. Seborrheic dermatitis can manifest itself with dry scalp, so it's better to be safe than sorry and visit a dermatologist/trichologist.

^^ Fully agree with that!

Jo Ann
May 22nd, 2019, 11:34 AM
I agree with the other responders--see your doctor about the dry, sensitive scalp. Head & Shoulders shampoo is worth a try, too.

Regarding the previously dyed hair: try a protein treatment on your lengths. There are some nice ones out there (Garnier, Shea Moisture) and see if it makes a difference on your lengths. I have bleached hair and did a protein treatment on my hair and it made a huge difference!

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 07:37 PM
Jo Ann. Thanks for the reminder.

Everyone else, do you think my regular doc could see if there is a problem, or do I definitely need to see a dermatologist?

akurah
May 22nd, 2019, 09:15 PM
Jo Ann. Thanks for the reminder.

Everyone else, do you think my regular doc could see if there is a problem, or do I definitely need to see a dermatologist?

You may need a referral to a dermatologist, so start by calling your GP. They might be able to see you or they might just refer you without you needing an appointment with the GP