PDA

View Full Version : Brushing... half of your hair

catoala
May 21st, 2019, 01:56 PM
Hi hi!

Does anyone here brush their hair, but only half of it? The top, slightly length but not ends at all (to keep waves).. funny, but I found out it works for me!

Dung Beetle
May 21st, 2019, 02:34 PM
Yep. I will brush all of it at times...but mostly I'll just take a comb, go about as far as my ears, and call it good. :)

LadyCelestina
May 21st, 2019, 02:34 PM
Yes :) I only brush the roots, up to around chin to shoulder length, depending on how curly my hair is.

blackgothicdoll
May 21st, 2019, 02:48 PM
Yep, when I'm putting my hair in a bun I only brush the top to smooth it out, and don't even tough the ends.

Groovy Granny
May 21st, 2019, 04:00 PM
OMG nope :tmi: my ends would be :slap: in a huge tangled mess :lol:

I brush/detangle , add serum or a spritz or rosewater & glycerin on the length, then bun for 20+ min. or scrunch, and my wurls are refreshed nicely :heart:

lithostoic
May 21st, 2019, 10:28 PM
Nope I've tried that to get a smooth ponytail without disrupting my waves. My hair got so matted that I had to rewash it.

Liz H
May 22nd, 2019, 12:56 AM
Cool! If I ever manage braid waves on my 1b/1c hair, I might try this.

catoala
May 22nd, 2019, 08:00 AM
Cool! If I ever manage braid waves on my 1b/1c hair, I might try this.

I think I have 1b/c hair and its amazing :-) Braid while damp, then let it be that way for half of a day, take out and brush fhe top, looks veryyyy nice..

Suortuva
May 22nd, 2019, 08:17 AM
I often brush only my ends/ the bottom half. Because it's often the only part needing attention.

littlestarface
May 22nd, 2019, 08:23 AM
Uuuh HECK no, if i even tried that my hair would be one huge massive matted frizzy blob. I can't even imagine someone could get away with this without looking funny. I'm imaging how it looks on me and no no no loool. Flat scalp with a huge fuzzy matted hair from neck down oh lord.

catoala
May 22nd, 2019, 08:25 AM
Uuuh HECK no, if i even tried that my hair would be one huge massive matted frizzy blob. I can't even imagine someone could get away with this without looking funny. I'm imaging how it looks on me and no no no loool. Flat scalp with a huge fuzzy matted hair from neck down oh lord.

I know! But, in my case it's not like that somehow.... Makes my hair look sooooo good.

LadyCelestina
May 22nd, 2019, 08:42 AM

I think you probably wouldn't have even guessed that it was done.

https://imgur.com/a/vxvIeul

The first pic is 3rd hair day, the 2nd pic is after a wash. Suprisingly, the brushed out part is NOT where the ringlety curls start, I cannot get my brush that far.

But oh well, maybe it does look funny, but much better than going around without brushing it. It helps my hair dry quicker, removes the tangles I get on top of my hair, and makes my buns neater. For these reasons alone I will continue doing it, regardless of it looking funny or not :p

empoppet
May 22nd, 2019, 02:25 PM
Yes - day after wash I often just do the fringe and tidy, but don't brush at all. And other days I'll just do the ends to get rid of tangles, then tidy by running a brush over the top.

Liz H
May 22nd, 2019, 08:22 PM
How do you braid your hair? For example, One on each side, a single down the back, etc. I tried for braid waves the other day, with very poor results. I think my front braids were too tight, and my hair not quite damp enough. Can you describe how damp your hair is when you braid?

I think I have 1b/c hair and its amazing :-) Braid while damp, then let it be that way for half of a day, take out and brush fhe top, looks veryyyy nice..

MoonRabbit
May 22nd, 2019, 08:45 PM
That's a big no for me. I can't even smooth my roots out with a brush for an updo without getting a matted monster. Doesn't even matter if I freshly detangled. A brush has to go through every section from end to root then root to end or else a knot will form.

zmirina
May 26th, 2019, 12:48 AM
My brushing routine is: brush my hair before wash, wash my hair, wait until it's only slightly damp, brush it, braid it -> not brush it until the next time I'm about to wash it, unless I'm making a fancy hairstyle

That way I retain some texture from braids, as opposed to pinstraight natural state

Liz H
May 26th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Lady Celestina, your hair is gorgeous!

I think you probably wouldn't have even guessed that it was done.

https://imgur.com/a/vxvIeul

The first pic is 3rd hair day, the 2nd pic is after a wash. Suprisingly, the brushed out part is NOT where the ringlety curls start, I cannot get my brush that far.

But oh well, maybe it does look funny, but much better than going around without brushing it. It helps my hair dry quicker, removes the tangles I get on top of my hair, and makes my buns neater. For these reasons alone I will continue doing it, regardless of it looking funny or not :p

catoala
May 26th, 2019, 05:05 AM
My brushing routine is: brush my hair before wash, wash my hair, wait until it's only slightly damp, brush it, braid it -> not brush it until the next time I'm about to wash it, unless I'm making a fancy hairstyle

That way I retain some texture from braids, as opposed to pinstraight natural state

Lucky! Mine gets super tangled and it bothers me.

zmirina
May 26th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Lucky! Mine gets super tangled and it bothers me.
Well, it gets tangled a fair bit, but nothing that a careful 10 minute brushing cannot resolve. As I said, it's naturally super straight, so even when I try to pretend that I have waves, I really don't

catoala
May 26th, 2019, 11:03 AM
How do you braid your hair? For example, One on each side, a single down the back, etc. I tried for braid waves the other day, with very poor results. I think my front braids were too tight, and my hair not quite damp enough. Can you describe how damp your hair is when you braid?

Sorry, didn't see this before. I blow dry my hair until it's about 70% dry, then I do the single braid down my back. For sleeping, sometime I might do two on sides, but usually one since two tug too much... Maybe your hair is far too slippery, could that be the case? :)

Lions-mane
July 13th, 2019, 03:31 AM
I have wavy B2 hair/ so I am able to do this but I don't like the way my ends look when they are clumped together , so Ill brush just the ends and leav ethe mid lengths un brushed if this makes sense lol After that ill put a potion in and it looks nice.

Liz H
July 16th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thanks Catoala. I just saw your reply today! Trying to return to damp hair after it's mostly dry may be part of my problem. I don't think I distributed the water evenly. Fortunately, I can get pretty bun waves, and they work well with the natural bit of wave in my hair.

Sorry, didn't see this before. I blow dry my hair until it's about 70% dry, then I do the single braid down my back. For sleeping, sometime I might do two on sides, but usually one since two tug too much... Maybe your hair is far too slippery, could that be the case? :)

NyanNinjaGirl
July 16th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Yep, when I'm putting my hair in a bun I only brush the top to smooth it out, and don't even tough the ends.

I do exactly that as well. It annoys my mom a bit, but why put all that effort into brushing the whole length if the only part that matters in the bun is the top?