PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hair, Hydral Fatigue, and how to prevent it?

blackgothicdoll
May 21st, 2019, 06:25 AM
Hi all! It's gotten warm here again so I'm reaching my daily hair-wetting/washing habit (not sure if it's a bad habit)? When it's very hot like it is now, I need to wet my hair/scalp every day to a.) cool myself down and b.) remove sweat as I am a heavy sweater, then c.) it is easier to style my hair when wet, and since I can't do a long term style because I'm going to sweat, wetting my hair every day is both more comfortable and more convenient.

But of course, I fear hydral fatigue. All I do is rinse with just water, if I sweated a lot I will shampoo all of my hair, and if I'm somewhere in the middle I'll rinse the length with conditioner. I don't get a chance to get tangles so I just finger detangle, then add a leave-in, gel over my canopy and a good amount of oil and stick it in a bun. Because it is in a bun, it never dries, though I take the bun down before bed and switch to two braids it usually is a little damp in the morning still. I think I experience either dryness or build-up from doing this last summer, but I was not educated in clarifying and I used conditioner every day, so it's possible that is why. Still, I want to plan ahead on how to keep my hair healthy while remaining comfortable over the loooong summer ahead.

Would applying a heavy coating of oil after each wash/rinse help?

Thanks in advance :flower:

luckydandelion
May 21st, 2019, 06:36 AM
Hi blackgothicdoll !
I would apply the oil before the washing as a pre-poo. I don't know the exact science, but as far as I remember it helped prevent the swelling of the cuticle? I think coconut or avocado could work well since those attach to the protein structure.
Protein treatments could also help balance out all the moisture your hair is getting- looking for a leave in that's a little more protein heavy could help without having to change your routine.
I hope this helps!:heartbeat:

lapushka
May 21st, 2019, 08:50 AM
I believe there are people who even wash their hair daily - so I wouldn't worry. :)

milosmomma
May 21st, 2019, 09:07 AM
I think oil would make it take longer to dry, I'm not sure if you are trying to avoid that? But oil also helps it hold moisture longer until your next wash. But if you're going to be washing frequently or even everyday, maybe only minimal oil would be needed. What about cool blow drying, or sometimes just sitting near a fan will speed up drying times.

AutobotsAttack
May 21st, 2019, 09:08 AM
Hygral fatigue only happens from the hair being wet for prolonged amounts of time. I’m talking months worth of being constantly wet. So you have nothing to worry about.

I would say just wash a bit earlier in the day, if you can, so that your hair will have enough time to dry. I wouldn’t keep layering product though. I am currently washing everyday, and applying a fresh new coat of product which ensures I’m not causing buildup or anything. It’s up to you how frequent you use either shampoo or just conditioner though.

Micro fiber towels help too when you’re drying your hair. I’d just keep your hair up in one for as long as possible so get your hair drying in a timely manner.

blackgothicdoll
May 21st, 2019, 10:52 AM
Hi blackgothicdoll !
I would apply the oil before the washing as a pre-poo. I don't know the exact science, but as far as I remember it helped prevent the swelling of the cuticle? I think coconut or avocado could work well since those attach to the protein structure.
Protein treatments could also help balance out all the moisture your hair is getting- looking for a leave in that's a little more protein heavy could help without having to change your routine.
I hope this helps!:heartbeat:

I think oil would make it take longer to dry, I'm not sure if you are trying to avoid that? But oil also helps it hold moisture longer until your next wash. But if you're going to be washing frequently or even everyday, maybe only minimal oil would be needed. What about cool blow drying, or sometimes just sitting near a fan will speed up drying times.

Hmmm lol so I am confused about the oil part. It may be habitual for me to put oil on my hair after I wash, which is technically also before I wash (LOL) but I can see how it could make my hair take longer to dry - which I don't want. So I can adjust and try to be lighter on the oil, maybe just on my ends which dry the fastest, and then try oiling before washing - not a bad idea at all.

Thanks for the advice!

blackgothicdoll
May 21st, 2019, 10:57 AM
Hygral fatigue only happens from the hair being wet for prolonged amounts of time. I’m talking months worth of being constantly wet. So you have nothing to worry about.

I would say just wash a bit earlier in the day, if you can, so that your hair will have enough time to dry. I wouldn’t keep layering product though. I am currently washing everyday, and applying a fresh new coat of product which ensures I’m not causing buildup or anything. It’s up to you how frequent you use either shampoo or just conditioner though.

Micro fiber towels help too when you’re drying your hair. I’d just keep your hair up in one for as long as possible so get your hair drying in a timely manner.

So, are you saying you use shampoo every wash? Build up is definitely another concern, which is why I typically like to work in conditioner to help remove some product when I'm not ready to shampoo again. I was thinking shampoo too much will definitely irritate my dry scalp, but I could always do water on my scalp on in between days, and then shampoo on my hair with a non-harsh shampoo. I'm not sure. I will still do my full wash routine once a week, which is a hot oil treatment, shampoo and deep conditioner, so I'll definitely get build up off by the end of the week, but I don't want to accumulate too much during the week.

I typically don't use anything to dry my hair because my hair is in its most presentable, manageable and cooperative state when it is wet. xD So then, I can apply a leave-in, gel, and manuever it into a somewhat presentable bun without tying it too tight, or even a little peacock twist if I don't mind my sides poofing a bit. Once a towel, blow dryer or otherwise is introduced, I may have to be a bit more aggressive to get my hair into a bun. I have gotten into the habit of squeezing water and excess product out with my hands - while that's pretty minimal, it at least helps and my hair isn't dripping. :lol:

Reluctantlylong
May 21st, 2019, 03:11 PM
My daughter had mbl ( type; 1b M iii)hair well teaching swimming lessons in an outdoor pool for two summers ,had also been in the pool a couple of days a week in the winters before. These were full of Chlorine so she had to shampoo/condition daily. The sun pool water combination made her hair lighter and reddish but it was healthy and smooth. The only thing she did was leave some conditioner in her hair during her shower before the pool shower in winter. That is a lot of wet hair but she was okay. Enjoy the summer still cold here!

AutobotsAttack
May 21st, 2019, 05:33 PM
So, are you saying you use shampoo every wash? Build up is definitely another concern, which is why I typically like to work in conditioner to help remove some product when I'm not ready to shampoo again. I was thinking shampoo too much will definitely irritate my dry scalp, but I could always do water on my scalp on in between days, and then shampoo on my hair with a non-harsh shampoo. I'm not sure. I will still do my full wash routine once a week, which is a hot oil treatment, shampoo and deep conditioner, so I'll definitely get build up off by the end of the week, but I don't want to accumulate too much during the week.

I typically don't use anything to dry my hair because my hair is in its most presentable, manageable and cooperative state when it is wet. xD So then, I can apply a leave-in, gel, and manuever it into a somewhat presentable bun without tying it too tight, or even a little peacock twist if I don't mind my sides poofing a bit. Once a towel, blow dryer or otherwise is introduced, I may have to be a bit more aggressive to get my hair into a bun. I have gotten into the habit of squeezing water and excess product out with my hands - while that's pretty minimal, it at least helps and my hair isn't dripping. :lol:

Sometimes I use shampoo every wash. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I use conditioner every wash, sometimes I don’t. If I use shampoo I keep it above my ears. Which is why I stated it would be up to you how frequently you wash. My scalp isn’t really prone to dryness, and it gets sweaty and dirty really easily. Hence why I wash frequently.

If you’re comfortable with your routine then keep it. My whole point was to mention hygral fatigue isn’t anything you should be worrying about. Having Damp hair frequently for long periods of time, isn’t the same as having sopping wet hair frequently for long periods of time.

blackgothicdoll
May 21st, 2019, 06:07 PM
Sometimes I use shampoo every wash. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I use conditioner every wash, sometimes I don’t. If I use shampoo I keep it above my ears. Which is why I stated it would be up to you how frequently you wash. My scalp isn’t really prone to dryness, and it gets sweaty and dirty really easily. Hence why I wash frequently.

If you’re comfortable with your routine then keep it. My whole point was to mention hygral fatigue isn’t anything you should be worrying about. Having Damp hair frequently for long periods of time, isn’t the same as having sopping wet hair frequently for long periods of time.

Ah I see what you mean. Good to know - thanks!

pailin
May 21st, 2019, 09:37 PM
I still wash daily at mid thigh. It's hot here most of the year and I sweat a lot in my head. It makes me itch and I don't like how it makes my not-dyed hair look like I have growing-out roots from a dye job (to my eyes at least). So I just wash every evening. I do try to be careful of my hair when wet especially,and I don't detangle wet (for me it's much harder and just generates new tangles, so dry detangling is much gentler on my hair. And my hair tangles so much when wet, I would have never gotten this long before chopping it in frustration).

catoala
May 22nd, 2019, 07:04 AM
As lapushka said, there are people who wash their hair everyday without issues. I'd say many shampoos today are mild and not strong enough to cause any issues (usually) so go for it.