PDA

View Full Version : For fine hairs..

miyeena
May 20th, 2019, 11:41 AM
What is your routine?

Do you find it difficult to keep up with the length due to a fact fine hair is usually fragile?

When do you wash?

Brush or comb: which breaks less hairs?

Thanks! I'm purely curious, it's very interesting to see fine haired people with also long hair since I myself know only people that jeep it short because of damage.

cestlavie
May 20th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I wash with a sulphate free shampoo (3 times a week), clarify once a month, using masks and conditioners that suit my hair type (a healthy balance between moisturizing and strengthening, aka protein, to avoid protein/moisture overload = breakage). All silicone free too. I also use the LOC method to keep the moisture in (detangler spray with protein, 3 drops of oil, garnier fructis air dry cream). I oil my hair once a week and co wash it out followed by my regular shampoo, condition like normal. Then I always let my hair air dry.

I brush my hair with a wetbrush or tek wooden brush when my hair is dry. When my hair is wet or very tangled I use a wide tooth comb. I don't experience excessive breakage this way.
Also, what really helped me to grow my hair where it is now (never had it longer than shoulder length), is to find the right products that suit my hair and keeping my hair up in a bun to protect the ends. Having it up every day helped me to brush less, I was addicted to brushing because I couldn't put it up before. I experienced much more breakage back then.

I never sleep with my hair loose and/or wet, use a blowdryer or iron and I stopped dyeing my hair 3 years ago which really helped as well!

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Here is my routine as posted in my Bio ~

~ Weekly washes/scalp diffused & ends air dried
~ Joico Moisture or Neutrogena Triple Moisture S&C/ROO/leave ins ~ Biosilk Lite Serum
~ Full Moon dusting/clarifying/Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask
~ Quarterly/seasonal change hemline maintenance & Silver S/C
~ Biosilk Serum > bedtime braids
~ Updos for protection (chores/hats/hoods) and in hot weather
~ Half ups & ponytails in cool weather
~ BBB Vented Wet Brush AM/PM detangles & Regular Vented Wet Brush for shower and quick detangles.
~ Wood bristle brushes and combs for quick styles

I love my long hair :heart:
I have no problem with splits or damage and brush at will to style or detangle; I only comb for sectioning or a real quick style with a wood comb..
There is never a bad hair day as it is easy to style and maintain, and lots of fun trying different styles with my hair toy collection :flower:

AmaryllisRed
May 20th, 2019, 12:25 PM
My hair is very fine and I have had no trouble growing it to classic length.
I have a very simple routine. Three nights a week, I wash with shampoo and condition the length. I comb it and let it air dry. I wear it up almost all the time.
I never brush it. I think that helps prevent breakage.

harpgal
May 20th, 2019, 12:51 PM
What is your routine?
I wash once a week and only my scalp. I then condition the hair from my ears down. Then I gently pull the wet “ropes” apart while it is still wet. I do not comb until it is completely dry. I haven't brushed in years. The most important thing I do is not whip off the ends with a comb. It is very important to move slowly with the teeth of the comb slightly pointed up.

Do you find it difficult to keep up with the length due to a fact fine hair is usually fragile?
Yes, my hair is very, very fine and even though I made it to ankle, it was very hard to de-tangle from knee on down.

When do you wash?
See above...

I use my fingers or a comb, however I think a brush would be OK if you do not use it to de-tangle or whip off the ends.

miyeena
May 20th, 2019, 01:12 PM
I actually use a brush to detangle which works very nicely. I found no matter which comb, my hair snapped. Thank you for sharing routines (:

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 03:16 PM
What is your routine?

When do you wash?

Thanks! I'm purely curious, it's very interesting to see fine haired people with also long hair since I myself know only people that jeep it short because of damage.

Maybe check out the fine/thin hair thread for lots of tips & tricks as well:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115&highlight=fine+thin

I have F hair, but I have lots of it, so that makes it less "fragile", still I have to be careful with it. I wash weekly & detangle weekly, pre & post wash.

My mom has i and fine hair, she washes every month, few months or so (this past wash was 6 weeks ago). She has a really dry scalp (no flakes). She even went to the doctor for it and he told her to wash as less as possible. So she does just that. She brushes every morning and night when her curls have faded (she roller sets it after a wash). Her hair in front is very very fluffy and thin, so she has to be really careful with it.

Strwberryfields
May 20th, 2019, 07:44 PM
I find that my hair breaks quite terribly. However it’s also been dyed for the last 15 years. I have no clue if it breaks as virgin hair. Does anyone have fine virgin hair that was once dyed? I’m curious if it’s less fragile. Sounds dumb but im worried i just have extremely fragile hair and the damage isn’t the cause.

Strwberryfields
May 20th, 2019, 07:44 PM
I actually use a brush to detangle which works very nicely. I found no matter which comb, my hair snapped. Thank you for sharing routines (:

You’re not alone. I feel like anything that touches my hair breaks it. I have non stop splits! What about you?

desisparkles
May 20th, 2019, 11:26 PM
I find that my hair breaks quite terribly. However it’s also been dyed for the last 15 years. I have no clue if it breaks as virgin hair. Does anyone have fine virgin hair that was once dyed? I’m curious if it’s less fragile. Sounds dumb but im worried i just have extremely fragile hair and the damage isn’t the cause.

I have fine hair and stopped dying 17 months ago and my virgin hair does break quite easily, yes. I get most of my breakage because my toddler pulls at it - especially at the nape hairs and the breaking sounds are terrible but she does the same to her fine hair as well - all done with not much effort at all.

LittleHealthy
May 21st, 2019, 03:36 AM
Mine is extremely thin and fine.
I rarely brush it, only when I need to. When I do, I finger comb and then use a brush sometimes.
I wash every 2-3 days, and always oil the ends while they’re still damp post-wash.
I don’t always wear my hair up in a protective style though... I wish I did!! I do sometimes. If it’s down I oil the tips again as I feel like that’s some kind of protection :laugh:

bparnell75
May 21st, 2019, 09:49 AM
My hair is very fine and I have had no trouble growing it to classic length.
I have a very simple routine. Three nights a week, I wash with shampoo and condition the length. I comb it and let it air dry. I wear it up almost all the time.
I never brush it. I think that helps prevent breakage.

If you never brush, what instrument do you use? I have to make sure no sheds come off i the shower.

AmaryllisRed
May 21st, 2019, 12:22 PM
If you never brush, what instrument do you use? I have to make sure no sheds come off i the shower.

I comb with a plastic comb when it's still wet from the shower. Other than that, just my fingers. :)

vpatt
May 21st, 2019, 05:37 PM
I make sure to comb, finger comb or brush very gently. I prefer to only wash once a week. I had been playing with water only for about 3 months or so and liked it for the most part....But due to a scalp issue I am trying CO right now. I have psoriasis so that may be the problem. Buns and braids keep it out of trouble. Sometimes I oil the ends.

AutobotsAttack
May 21st, 2019, 05:45 PM
What is your routine?

When do you wash?

It differentiates during different times of the month. I wash rather frequently. Either daily, or every other day. But I usually use shampoo on my roots only. Mostly when my hair is dry to specifically target my scalp, rinse with conditioner, deep condition maybe 1-2x a week, throw a protein treatment in there as needed, and use Butters such as Shea Butter, Bacuri Butter, Cupuaçu Butter, etc. from roots to tip.

Keep my hair in some sort of protective style. Buns, or braids.

I don’t find it difficult to retain my length, but I agree fine hair is fragile in nature. Especially with hair types such as mine. There’s a few challenges with fine hair, but I don’t find them hard, I just have to diligent and pay attention.

I choose to use neither a brush nor a comb. I have Afro Textured hair, and it’s baby fine. I can fit approximately 24-26 hairs within 1mm, so a brush or a comb can cause unnecessary breakage for me even if I’m using the lightest weight/touch possible.
I just flip my head upside down and gently run my fingers through my hair, and find as many shed hairs as I can, and shake my hair a bit so it can dry after I wash. Then I put it up.

Currently I am 2 inches from Classic, so I’m doing alright having long fine hair.

pailin
May 21st, 2019, 09:31 PM
I wash daily with sulfate shampoos (to keep my scalp happy), condition twice with mineral oil (baby oil) rinse out oil in between and a silicone serum after washing. Usually I sleep on it loose while still wet. Then I detangle in the morning when it is dry. Dry detangling really helped me; it's much less tangly. I switch around with methods but now I'm back to mostly finger detangling, with a little wide tooth combing at the end.
I do keep it up most of the time during the day. But this has gotten me to mid-thigh despite frequent washing, so it's good enough for me. I have no plans to grow longer than knee (if I even get to knee).

Ilyem
May 22nd, 2019, 04:55 AM
I wash my hair usually with a sulphate shampoo and a silicone-free conditioner but I've realised that it doesn't really matter what I use as I have an oily scalp and can wash regularly with no negative effects on my hair. I wash it every 2, sometimes 3 days. I then use a serum with silicone on the ends of my hair and I've noticed that that has really helped with breakage which I had TONNES of. I brush my hair when wet so that it can dry nice and straight the way I like it and I haven't noticed any breakage when I do that even though everyone says its bad. I just make sure to always detangle using my fingers so that I don't rip chunks out (even though I brush very carefully - as if my hair is strands of gold.) I use a brush for the sole purpose of having everything look smooth.

I wear my hair in a high braid at night because I've noticed its the only hairstyle that can keep my "fringe" in without having to resort to using clips. I call it a fringe but in reality its just the strands around my hair that just keep breaking due to mechanical damage. Because of that they're shorter than the rest of the hair and much thinner. I do see improvement though: some parts have definitly grown especially due to the fact that I haven't cut them in about 2 years as I want it all be one length eventually.

During the day I wear English or French braids usually but very occasionally also ponytails or hair down if its not windy and its looking nice after a wash. My hair isn't long or thick enough to do buns and look good.

My hair isn't as long as other people on this thread have: I'm only now at APL (well 0.5cm away) but I know that my hair is very thin as I've had lots of trouble growing it out for the last almost decade.

TL;DR:
1) use a serum on the ends of hair to stop breakage
2) wear protective styles

leayellena
May 23rd, 2019, 06:20 AM
so... :) 10 characters :P

What is your routine?
wcc, co-wash, first 3 days with argan oil, then the rest of the week every day coconut oil
no. I oil my hair every day, so my hair doesn't have much breakage (like 10 splits in 3 months or so)
When do you wash?
when I feel my hair is way too greasy, my scalp itchy or when I have to look presentable
comb. I have more control on a straigh line rather than a lot of pins spread around my hair.
keep it at the length it feels good to you. for me, the longer it gets, the more natural it feels, like a part of my body. my braid still does feel unnaturally short but I know and feel that the real feeling of my hair as part of my body will happen when my hair reaches terminal. I s&d for 3 years from now on and hopefully I will reach knee length :P

Sarahlabyrinth
May 23rd, 2019, 10:28 AM
What is your routine?

Wash it once a week with diluted shampoo, then use the ROO method before conditioning. Sometimes I will add oil to my hair after it's dry, and sometimes I will clarify and do a deep moisturising treatment on it.

No, you just adapt to the increasing length as it grows longer.

When do you wash?

Usually on a Friday morning.

It depends how gentle you are. I find finger combing to be excellent, but I also have a deluxe detangling brush similar to a Tangle Teezer and that's good, too.

I hope you find the information which will suit you the best, and good luck with growing your own hair :D

ursaV
May 23rd, 2019, 10:43 AM
I would say my hair is rather resilient despite being fine, though it only became that way when all the dyed ends were gone. I don't have long hair by LHC standards but I've gained a lot of length from good practices learned here and am longer than ever before in my life.

I typically wash once a week with sulfate free shampoo, I usually don't use conditioner but if I feel the need I'll use a silicone free one. It's important for me to have a balance of protein and moisture; overconditioning leads to hair strands that are stretchy and break easily. I only use a brush, it gets out tangles the most thoroughly. Getting the Tek brush was a game changer for me because of the straight pins- I had a wooden brush before with the balls on the ends of the pins, and i could hear little *snip snaps* every time I ran that through my hair. For fine hair simple seems to be the best for me- no over-handling or product overloading. I'm still going strong at BSL+ from CBL and want to see my terminal length!

Taliesin
May 23rd, 2019, 07:56 PM
I wash ~ every 3 days, sometimes 2. I alternate between sulfate and sulfate-free shampoo, I find if I use sulfate-free too much it gets kinda greasy looking up top. My hair doesn't do well without a silicone based conditioner. Oh, and coconut oil once every couple of weeks.

Since my hair reached the top of my butt it's been more of a challenge. The ends don't look quite as good and they curl a bit when they never used to, but it's still growing! I'm within about a half inch to classic and the plan is to grow a couple of inches beyond and re-evaluate, probably trim back to classic for a straighter hem again. I am wearing it up more and micro-trimming more over the last year or so to try to mitigate damage at this length.

I use a wide-toothed comb 95% of the time and brush occassionally but rarely.

poli
November 19th, 2019, 02:05 AM
I love to find a fine hair thread because growing fine hair can be discouraging. I got to hip and I consider it a success although for many it's just starting length for a longhair. Main things that help me is regular trimming, henna and not wearing it down too much. Other than that if you find a routine that keep your scalp happy and ends moisturized it's a win IMHO.

Laurab
November 19th, 2019, 07:42 AM
I don't really have trouble with my hair breaking, just with it getting oily quickly. My hair also gets really fluffy with lots of flyaway because there's a lot of it but not enough weight to hold it down, but if I leave anything on it then it looks greasy fast (Leave in oils or conditioners are a no go for me)
I just started doing a weekly oil treatment and that's been helping to keep it calm.
Ivr always just used a wide toothed comb to get the tangles out, but I still have shorter hair so they don't get too bad.

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I don't really have trouble with my hair breaking, just with it getting oily quickly. My hair also gets really fluffy with lots of flyaway because there's a lot of it but not enough weight to hold it down, but if I leave anything on it then it looks greasy fast (Leave in oils or conditioners are a no go for me)
I just started doing a weekly oil treatment and that's been helping to keep it calm.
Ivr always just used a wide toothed comb to get the tangles out, but I still have shorter hair so they don't get too bad.

If you are oily, you don't want to be using conditioner or leave-in on your scalp/root area. Just ears down. :flower:

0xalis
November 19th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Same as Laurab, I don't experience much breakage but my hair gets oily so fast. I just wash every other day. I only use as much shampoo as I need to clean my scalp, and when my hair is long enough I only condition from ears down.
Right now I just condition everything as it's very short. And of course, I very much prefer to use as gentle a shampoo as possible, over washing is really not natural. I have to admit that my hate for grease is entirely because of societal pressure.
If my hair isn't greasy enough to need a wash, I don't wash it. And, once my hair is long enough to braid or do an updo, I can cut my washes by up to half.

Cg
November 20th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Those flyaways are worse in dry winter air too. I run damp hands down the length before bunning. Kind of reduces the flyaways, or anyway I choose to think so. And always I finger-detangle with damp fingers in winter.

earl grey
November 20th, 2019, 06:41 PM
No breakage here either, but my scalp gets very oily and gross while my ends get dry. I only wash the scalp and use a lightweight conditioner on my ends or else it gets weighed down. I've also found that a boar bristle brush helps with distributing oils so my ends can stay hydrated.

macyann
November 21st, 2019, 09:25 AM
Right now I wash twice a week, using conditioner before shampoo. Lightweight scalp oils every other day and a weekly hair mask.

I used to find it hard to grow out but I think thats because I simply wasnt taking proper care of it. I went blonde-ish when I was 16 and it took years and years for my hair to recover from that. Additionally, anemia took a toll on my hair health. Its my opinion that too many products are made to "volumize" fine hair now, instead of keep it healthy, and I think thats part of the reason people struggle growing out fine hair. For years hairstylist were selling me volumizing shampoos/powders/sprays ect. that really just added to buildup and resulted in breakage :/

I only wash once or twice a week! Used to wash every day... It took awhile for my hair to get used to spreading out washes but it was SO worth it.

So many sites say to only use a comb or finger combing with fine hair- I dont know about everyone else, but finger combing my hair definitely results in way more snapping than like anything else??? I feel like my fingers are just too wide or something, :shrug: the best way to brush any hair is starting at the ends and working up and other than that I havent found a difference in what brush i use.

I love threads like these because I feel like fine hair is a whole different species and im ALWAYS looking for tips on how to take care of it.

sillyme
November 21st, 2019, 05:07 PM
I shampoo and condition daily, roots to ends, with sulfate shampoo and a light cone free conditioner (vo5).

Then, I comb through with a shower comb and let it air-dry until about 90% dry. I use my blow dryer and round brush to finish off the drying and to give my hair more volume since I wear it down.

For me, the less products I use, the better my hair behaves.

My hair isn't long. It's still at the collarbone/growing out layers stage, but it's staying healthy with this routine.

leayellena
November 24th, 2019, 03:00 AM
What is your routine?
WCC or CWC or co-wash/deep condition every week or 2 weeks depending on how my scalp and hair feels. bunned outside, in a braid or bun at home depending on how rough my t-shirt/pullover is.
no, my hair actually had 2(!) fairy knots since july, I cut them yesterday. in summer my hair needs more conditioning on the ends and less scalp manipulation but more head covering. in summer I find more split ends than in winter. it's 10 every month or 2 months but in winter is like close to zero split ends.
comb - for me. I can't control each and every pin of a hair brush/tangle teaser, etc. if my comb is stuck, it's time for a finger detangling, then comb again. I saw people on youtube, with floor length hair or longer, they use only combs because a brush woould practically be impossible to slide trough the mass of hair.

kikuhoshi
November 24th, 2019, 05:02 AM
What is your routine?
I finally have a pretty good routine going. Starting on wash day, I DC for at least an hour, preferably longer, with some sort of mask. I've been alternating between the Finesse Keratin mask in the blue package and Palmer's Coconut Oil Protein pack, but I just got a pot of the Garnier Banana Hair Treat and I can't wait to try it.
After that, I shower with Suave Professional Rose Oil Shampoo, then use Garnier's Sleek Shot In-Shower Styler to help with flyaways, then normally condition with the Rose Oil conditioner. Once I'm out of the shower, I wait until my hair is damp and then spray it with African Pride Moisture Miracle Coconut Milk and Honey Leave-In Spray. It's lightweight, not greasy, and my hair adores it (a miracle, since my hair hates leave-ins, but it's getting too dry not to use something).
After that, I toss it into a bun, secure it with my favorite clippy, and off I go. At this point, I may brush the roots to make it look more presentable, but not the length. Generally speaking, I brush my hair one or twice a week now, with a Nightmare Before Christmas Tangle Teaser knockoff I bought last month (before that, it was my plastic/boar bristle combo Wet Brush. My hair tends to stay in a clip bun due to my line of work and not wanting to bring home critters, but also because I've found it a most comfortable hair style, even when for sleeping. Besides occasional spritzes of my leave-in and re-bunning as needed, that's basically it until my next was day, when it starts all over.

Do you find it difficult to keep up with the length due to a fact fine hair is usually fragile? Nope.

When do you wash? Once a week, usually Saturday mornings, although Friday nights and Sundays are also an option depending on how busy/not busy I am that weekend. I wash my (cheek-length, side-swept) bangs about every other day, though.

Brush or comb: which breaks less hairs? I hate combs with a passion and won't use them, so I'm going to compare brushes. I use a TT now and I wish I had started years ago. It's absolute awesome, and while I do feel hair shed has gone up, I have to remind myself that I'm keeping my hair up and not brushing nearly as much, which means fewer daily shedding opportunities. My Wet Brush did pull some hairs out, but my TT does not, at all. I love it.

AutobotsAttack
April 3rd, 2020, 07:53 AM
What is your routine?

When do you wash?

Nah I don’t find it difficult at all really. I suppose understanding and working with your own hair texture would prove beneficial in determining what you can and can’t do to/with it.

I wash as needed. 3-4 times a week usually. Shampoo roots only, condition the rest.

I currently use a brush in the shower once a week just to help the shed hairs come out. Other times I’ll go for months without using a brush or a comb and just finger detangle under running water with conditioner.

A comb can cause just as much breakage as a brush depending on how you use them. So I’d say it’s up to technique.

Ylva
April 3rd, 2020, 08:08 AM
What is your routine?

WCC + leave-ins, which right now are a cream product and a natural oil blend. Sometimes I'll pre-poo oil.

I had length retention issues in the past but they were not due to fineness but the numerous chemical processings. Now, with my ends having gone through perhaps "only" three bleachings, I retain length quite well again.

When do you wash?

Usually every other day, in the evening so that it air-dries overnight.

I don't think it matters too much as long as you are gentle and detangle sensibly. I prefer a detangling brush like the Tangle Teezer.

arprice
April 3rd, 2020, 08:23 AM
I am new to hair care, but I have fine, blonde hair. I wash once a week now and use hair masks weekly. Ive been brushing with a wide tooth comb. I might brush less to avoid breakage. I'm still learning.

Bri-Chan
April 3rd, 2020, 10:26 AM
What is your routine?
Shampoo, mask, mousse or gel. I scrunch my hair with a microfiber towel, I apply the styler, I diffuse for about 20 minutes and then I let it airdry. Restyling with just water or with fenugreek's gel. Sometimes I pre-poo with coconut oil.

I'm having some struggles with my ends but not because my hair is fine: they were bleached and dyed several times. I never had problems in getting long hair.

When do you wash?
Twice a week, in the afternoon.

Brush, Tangle Teezer's type of brush.

Belgrade Beauty
April 3rd, 2020, 10:43 AM
Hi!
I think it depends how much hair you have, if you're an 'i' I guess it would be easier to break than 'iii'.
Washing: every other day:
sulphate shampoo,
conditioner/mask
apple cider vinegar rinse (3 cups distilled water ,1 tablespoon acv) and
condition again after washing out the acv.
Prepoo oil: once a week on scalp, twice on length usually olive but it's a personal preference.

I have bad quality water that drys my hair additionally , that's why I use acv. It helps with product buildup, keeps it of the hair.(at least that's what I read) It makes my hair soft even on the ends, which need a trim badly, so it stops me from cutting them off. I guess since you have dye,like me, it would probably be good to try.
I sometimes detangle before wash, but not always, honestly. I dry it with turban, and than air. I don't use any products after wash constantly, but sometimes I put some serum for split ends. I use a detangling brush almost always, cause it gentler to my hair than the combs I have.
I don't use protein,cause my hair is mostly dry so it needs good moisturizer. I use Garnier Hair food masks and Pantene hair food masks, as well as conditioner from those lines. My hair likes them so..That's that.

Siv
April 3rd, 2020, 11:15 AM
What is your routine?
- Brush in the morning, put it up. Brush in the evening, braid.
- Pre-poo oil, shampoo (SLS), conditioner, DT (OWCC)

- Nah. I've definitely noticed more breakage when I brush since I hit HL, but I'm at BCL now and don't want much longer hair. It's fine (lol, unintended pun!).

When do you wash?
Sometimes every other day, sometimes twice a week.

Brush with TT. Comb might be better but for me that means more finger detangling and with super tangly hair that would take eons.