PDA

View Full Version : White dots

catoala
May 20th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Soo. My hair itself is soft and has no split *ends*.... But my hair has one of those white dots pretty much anywhere if you look at a right light. Sometimes tiny splits but nothing much or at my ends. Should I cut my hair off..?

soldierssong
May 20th, 2019, 09:26 AM
No. Don't cut. You'll be fine. Try doing some S&D right above the white dots, but just try to use scrunchies and not use elastic bands.

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 09:29 AM
How many do you have? And are they up a strand and do they form sharp angles (that's a real white dot), or are they just plays on the light at the very end of the hair (because that's normal and not a white dot).

If almost half your hair has them, I would set to microtrimming.

If it's just a few here and there, I fully agree ^^ with soldierssong, S&D them out.

catoala
May 20th, 2019, 09:31 AM
To be honest, it depends... Since my hair is a light brown ish, on black surface plus sunlight, it looks like there are a few (braid makes all of them "pop" so to speak) and in synthetic light there is zero.

Strwberryfields
May 21st, 2019, 08:30 AM
In my experience white does signify breakage or a split. Split ends have many appearances actually. If you can cut them out yourself go for it. However in my experience I have way too many to find them all on my own so it helps to have a pro cut your hair. A lot of the times they will look sort of “L” shaped with a white dot above. If not now then eventually they will if it’s a true white dot.

milosmomma
May 21st, 2019, 08:40 AM
So if you dont trim the white dot does it become a split? I notice some hairs with the L bend and the white dot in the crease, it's very weak at the bend. So if that hair breaks off at the bend does the white dot left behind turn into a split? My hair usually has more splits and not so many white dots but I had many when I had heat and bleach damage. I also had many splits so it was hard to notice if the dots turned into splits just because the quantity.
Also I'm wondering how bad it is to just pull off the hair that is weakened at the L bend (which I'm guilty of on many occasion :lol: )?

Begemot
May 21st, 2019, 08:45 AM
So if you dont trim the white dot does it become a split? I notice some hairs with the L bend and the white dot in the crease, it's very weak at the bend. So if that hair breaks off at the bend does the white dot left behind turn into a split? My hair usually has more splits and not so many white dots but I had many when I had heat and bleach damage. I also had many splits so it was hard to notice if the dots turned into splits just because the quantity.
Also I'm wondering how bad it is to just pull off the hair that is weakened at the L bend (which I'm guilty of on many occasion :lol: )?

Yeah, they start to split further if you just snap them and leave like that (been there done that lol).

milosmomma
May 21st, 2019, 08:49 AM
Eek, lol guess I should stop doing that! I just figured, its dangling there barely attached and going to fall off eventually, but it's probably best to have a blunt cut end on the strand vs crushed or whatever has caused it to bend in the first place.

lapushka
May 21st, 2019, 09:05 AM

I grew out white dots (half of my head was full of them after heat & perm damage) all the way from shoulder to hip. Some broke off, but I never ever had splits. I just don't get them. And my hair was carefully examined the whole time. White dots can "hang on" (some break off) for a long time so there is time to microtrim if you want.

hayheadsbird
May 21st, 2019, 04:31 PM
I grew out white dots (half of my head was full of them after heat & perm damage) all the way from shoulder to hip. Some broke off, but I never ever had splits. I just don't get them. And my hair was carefully examined the whole time. White dots can "hang on" (some break off) for a long time so there is time to microtrim if you want.

I wonder if because your hair is fine, there's less width of strand to actually split? Still damage to the end, but not as visible in finer strands perhaps?
For me, white dots are absolutely the first sign of damage, and they get s&d on sight. I'd rather cut it out now than have it split later and lose more length then, so I cut them asap.

lapushka
May 21st, 2019, 05:06 PM
I wonder if because your hair is fine, there's less width of strand to actually split? Still damage to the end, but not as visible in finer strands perhaps?
For me, white dots are absolutely the first sign of damage, and they get s&d on sight. I'd rather cut it out now than have it split later and lose more length then, so I cut them asap.

That is actually a good theory! :)

yulia396
May 22nd, 2019, 09:47 AM
Don't cut your beautiful hair!!! You'll surely regret it. Some white dots are better than the terrible regret.

The thing is, I've also noticed crazy white dots on my hair (especially the ends) like a week ago. I applied coconut oil (pretty heavily) , left it in for 2 days, washed my hair, conditioned, ACV rinsed and boom - they're gone. My hair looks so nice, it hasn't looked like this in a long time.

I don't know about others, but for me, white dots sometimes appear. Sometimes(rarely tho) I have them(maybe because of the buildup or I don't know) and sometimes I don't. It can be fixed - my opinion. I was also kinda devastated but this week I realized white dots aren't a biggie. At least for me.

And those dots I had weren't dust. I really tried to smudge on them and get them out of my hair but they didn't move at all. Also,weren't the reflection of the light, they had texture,were a bit bigger than a strand. It was just some odd thing at the end of the strand. I don't know any hair science, but I did what I mentioned and now they don't exist to me at all :D hope this helps you. I believe yours will fade soon as well! Damage doesn't appear just like that in some weeks or months. Must be some buildup or a thing that can be fixed. However, if they persist I'd also recommend S&D. Best of luck :flower:

catoala
May 22nd, 2019, 12:55 PM
Funnily enough, I'm somehow afraid of ACV rinse. No idea why... Today, I put my hair in many sections and have done S&D, good for now...

lapushka
May 22nd, 2019, 12:58 PM
Don't cut your beautiful hair!!! You'll surely regret it. Some white dots are better than the terrible regret.

The thing is, I've also noticed crazy white dots on my hair (especially the ends) like a week ago. I applied coconut oil (pretty heavily) , left it in for 2 days, washed my hair, conditioned, ACV rinsed and boom - they're gone. My hair looks so nice, it hasn't looked like this in a long time.

I don't know about others, but for me, white dots sometimes appear. Sometimes(rarely tho) I have them(maybe because of the buildup or I don't know) and sometimes I don't. It can be fixed - my opinion. I was also kinda devastated but this week I realized white dots aren't a biggie. At least for me.

And those dots I had weren't dust. I really tried to smudge on them and get them out of my hair but they didn't move at all. Also,weren't the reflection of the light, they had texture,were a bit bigger than a strand. It was just some odd thing at the end of the strand. I don't know any hair science, but I did what I mentioned and now they don't exist to me at all :D hope this helps you. I believe yours will fade soon as well! Damage doesn't appear just like that in some weeks or months. Must be some buildup or a thing that can be fixed. However, if they persist I'd also recommend S&D. Best of luck :flower:

White dots don't just disappear from the hair. As I stated before, "real" white dots are breakage points *up a strand*, where the hair has already broken off but is still hanging on by a thread, hence the sharp angle it has right at that dot.

I think you might be talking about something else entirely. :flower: Where the light shines through a little "white" at the end of a hair, that is *normal*!