PDA

View Full Version : Wavy, detangling

miyeena
May 19th, 2019, 01:39 PM
When growing long hair that is wavy, do you think that detangling while wet is better/healthier? I personally brush my hair everyday: but I am afraid that my hair will look "unkempt" and be very tangled if I did not.

I also often see many long hairs here that have amazing hairs, and I'm so so curious about their routine. Mine is just weird.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 19th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Well, I only detangle when my hair is almost dry. Remember, wet hair is much more fragile (though some people swear by wet detangling). It's really a matter of knowing what your hair copes with best.

Dark40
May 19th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Yes, I think detangling wavy hair while it wet is better/healthier than when it's dry. That's good that you are brushing your hair everyday to detangle and keep it smooth. I also brush mine everyday as well, and I have 2c/3a hair type. But I get that kind of hair type relaxed 2 or 3 times a year.

Groovy Granny
May 19th, 2019, 01:50 PM
YMMV :shrug: I feel it is personal preference; some my have more delicate hair than others.

My hair is fine and wispy, and I detangle in/out of the shower, and on dry hair with no damage or split ends.

I swear by the Vented Wet Brush and use the regular version for wet hair/quick detangles....and the BBB version every AM/PM.

HaMalka
May 19th, 2019, 02:17 PM
I detangle when conditioning and brush my hair pretty much daily.

lapushka
May 19th, 2019, 02:18 PM
When growing long hair that is wavy, do you think that detangling while wet is better/healthier? I personally brush my hair everyday: but I am afraid that my hair will look "unkempt" and be very tangled if I did not.

I also often see many long hairs here that have amazing hairs, and I'm so so curious about their routine. Mine is just weird.

I only detangle with a brush pre-wash and post wash, once a week, when I wash it.

The rest of the week (as of Tuesday through Saturday), I finger detangle, which means I "separate" strands and get sheds out that way (over the sink).

I never brush my hair dry, except right before a wash.

I also put stylers (curl cream; gel; serum) in my hair after the wash, so you can't even begin to brush that unless it wears off during the week.

Servana
May 19th, 2019, 02:56 PM
For my thick 2A hair I detangle with my fingers when conditioning but I also brush my hair every morning when it's dry. I've tried finger detangling on dry hair but it makes my hair look so messy like I haven't brushed it at all. Personally I need brushes. They help smooth my hair because otherwise it's really frizzy and clumped. I never use combs.

MusicalSpoons
May 19th, 2019, 03:57 PM
How wavy is your hair? I would say that as long as your hair is getting all the moisture it wants and needs, it's probably okay to brush every day (assuming you're doing it carefully and gently). If you wanted to start wearing it wavy, you'd need to leave it alone once it starts drying - but you probably knew that anyway :)

MoonRabbit
May 19th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I wash once a week, before the shower, I will finger detangle to get any big knots out, then use my brush. In the shower I use my fingers again to comb through all the conditioner and get any knots out that have formed from the shampoo. Finally when I am out of the shower I soak up most of the water with a t shirt and then gently gently gently brush my wet hair. I usually don't have a single knot by this time and my hair is super slippery from the conditioner, so I use the brush mostly to get out any sheds that didn't fall out in the shower.

For the rest of the week, it really depends on how my hair is behaving. I usually will only finger comb on days 1-3 post wash, after that my waves are already falling and buns kill texture. Days 4-6 I will brush once a day since this is when my hair tangles the most.

lithostoic
May 19th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I fingercomb in the shower with conditioner. And I use a wetbrush on my hair when it's fully dry. Ironically, the wetbrush works best on dry hair for me. If my hair is wet it just bends the bristles and they skip right over my hair.

Haven
May 19th, 2019, 08:35 PM
I try not to detangle dry unless I have to, since it breaks up my waves and produces frizz/flyaways. I detangle pre-shower and I detangle in the shower with conditioner, both just with fingers. I stopped brushing altogether and I think it actually looks better, because I'm not breaking up my waves like I said before.

Ligeia Noire
May 19th, 2019, 09:43 PM
I am a 2b detangle only once a week and only when wet.

paulownia
May 20th, 2019, 12:29 AM
I detangle with wide-tooth wooden comb after the wash, after applying leave-in.
I finger comb dry every day, usually in the morning but that sometimes involves re-wetting some parts of hair to refresh the wave pattern. I try to not comb dry because it leaves my waves stringy. Brushes are a no-no, I don't even have one :D

Wusel
May 20th, 2019, 01:54 AM
I don't have curls but very tangly hair and have to detangle wet because otherwise I get knots over knots and break too much hair detangling dry.

spitfire511
May 20th, 2019, 07:09 AM
So think it totally depends on how you're trying to wear your hair! If you're going to wave definition, obviously there is no detangling once it's dry.

I'm with lapushka here when I'm going 'curly'. I use leave-ins and etc, so it just has to be left alone until I'm ready to wash again.

If I'm wearing it 'straight' - which I do by partially cool blowdrying and smoothing with my hairs (without fingers 'in' it) as it dries the rest of the way. Then I use a tangle teezer at least twice a day, morning and night, and definitely right before shower.

I also attempt detangling with fingers in shower, but ONLY if it's being pretty slippy and I'm using cones. If I start to run my fingers through and there's ANY drag I stop immediately!

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 07:27 AM
I'm with lapushka here when I'm going 'curly'. I use leave-ins and etc, so it just has to be left alone until I'm ready to wash again.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one waiting it out until a wash!

spidergoat
May 20th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I've got wavy hair and I detangle when my hair is slightly wetter than damp (if that makes sense). I used to only detangle when dry, but I got a Wet Brush and it's the most wonderful thing for detangling without breaking hairs. I've noticed that even when my hair has been detangled, I still have to go over it with a Tangle Teaser every morning VERY slowly and carefully to get the little knots out. I've never been able to successfully detangle my hair in the shower because of the way it clumps when wet. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I wear my hair up in a bun every day (usually have to re-do it a few times) and wear a silky sleep bonnet at night. Doing that definitely helps keep the amount of tangles down.

ETA: I don't use leave-ins but I do CWC with ROO when I wash, which is every 2-3 days.