PDA

View Full Version : The moment when you realize: My hair is too long for a Peacock-Twist :)

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 02:18 AM
My hair starts getting too long for a peacock twist and the ends of it start hanging down a bit.
I love Peacock-Twists but I know that on me it only looks pretty when my hair is between neck and a bit above APL. Approaching APL it starts looking strange, the ends hang down (it doesn't suit me when they bend down in the back, looks a bit sad, I like my Peacock-ends to stand, not bend). So, I'm both happy (hair grew) and sad (no 'real' Peacock).
I mean, when the ends hang down it's still Peacock but not what I like on my head, makes the shape of my head look strange too.
What is the styles you miss from when your hair was shorter?
Could you adapt some of your fav shorter-hair-styles to the longer lengths?
When my hair gets even longer I do a HBHP (Half-Bun-Half-Peacock), so the ends stand upwards above a bun or half bun.

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Oh, I wear it even with the ends hanging down, and when they start brushing my shoulders, I just do an extra loop :lol: So basically your half bun half peacock :)

Other than that, the only style I've ever outgrown is the high ponytail, but I usually do a faux version with a hidden clawclip, which is also more hair-healthy.

Stardreamer
May 19th, 2019, 02:33 AM
Oh, I wear it even with the ends hanging down, and when they start brushing my shoulders, I just do an extra loop :lol: So basically your half bun half peacock :)

Other than that, the only style I've ever outgrown is the high ponytail, but I usually do a faux version with a hidden clawclip, which is also more hair-healthy.

How can you outgrow a high pony?

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2019, 02:37 AM

My hair is too heavy to do one comfortably, so it a) pulls, b) the weight pushes the pony down so it sags and is no longer high :)

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 02:43 AM

Oh, that's interesting! Do you have a photo how you do it with the clip? Where do you put the clip? Under it?

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 02:44 AM

I think she means when the high pony starts getting too heavy and pulls too much when it moves. For me it's from mid-back when i can't wear it anymore. Too heavy and every bounce of it gives me headaches.

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2019, 03:01 AM
Oh, that's interesting! Do you have a photo how you do it with the clip? Where do you put the clip? Under it?

I have 2 versions:

Either I admit the clip so I just gather half of my hair (from the top) and clip it over the loose bottom half, it's basically a half up but with a lot more hair. I usually do this, because to the general population it looks like a pony even though it's not.

Or (and sorry if I don't remember this precisely, I don't usually wear this type of ponytail and right now my hair is drying so can't try one to remember better) I basically clip the upper part into a peacock twist (keep the twisted base very small so that you have more length at the ends), then clip the lower part into another peacock twist with the ends hanging down, hiding the claw clips with hair from the upper peacock twist.

But keep in mind that my hair is curly and on the thicker side, so there's enough volume to hide the claws.

It's a variation of this https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5_t05q_AV2t2KkipVjvNCDrVbxkpJU WePGsafGin0da_LWsptzg

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2019, 03:08 AM
Of course you can also put the upper half into a peacock twist and leave the bottom part loose, but then you'll sometimes have a pretty stark jump between the 2 lenths if you place your ponytail very high, so this method is better for medium level ponytails.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 03:47 AM
Thank you LadyCelestina! I will remember it for when my hair is longer :) Sounds like I'll like it :) Looking forward to it :)

LittleHealthy
May 19th, 2019, 03:50 AM
The quick, easy peacock twist is the one I miss most!! Sometimes I try to do it and somehow wrap the hair around a second time, but it never holds. I don’t miss anything else. I can’t do a ponytail now as it feels so heavy, but I never wore that style very often anyway.

luluj
May 19th, 2019, 04:52 AM
When my hair gets even longer I do a HBHP (Half-Bun-Half-Peacock), so the ends stand upwards above a bun or half bun.

I am trying to picture the Half-Bun-Half-Peacock, Wusel. Do you have a photo of how it looks?

I love the peacock twist, but I know what you mean about the ends starting to droop when you gain more length.

lapushka
May 19th, 2019, 04:59 AM
When my ends started to hang down too much, I just made it a log roll (folded it over). No biggie. ;)

luluj
May 19th, 2019, 05:04 AM
When my ends started to hang down too much, I just made it a log roll (folded it over). No biggie. ;)

I am not able to picture a log roll, either.

I need to brush up on updos. :laugh:

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 05:09 AM
I am trying to picture the Half-Bun-Half-Peacock, Wusel. Do you have a photo of how it looks?

I love the peacock twist, but I know what you mean about the ends starting to droop when you gain more length.

I don't have a picture, unfortunately, I never made one, but will remember when my hair is longer again, in about 6 months it should be the HBHP length again and I can make it and will try to make pictures of all my styles. I didn't do enough pics 4 years ago.

luluj
May 19th, 2019, 06:07 AM
I don't have a picture, unfortunately, I never made one, but will remember when my hair is longer again, in about 6 months it should be the HBHP length again and I can make it and will try to make pictures of all my styles. I didn't do enough pics 4 years ago.

That's okay, Wusel. I will be able to wear the peacock twist for a while yet, probably about another six months for me as well.

I enjoyed your song, "Through Hell." You have a lovely voice.

CopperButterfly
May 19th, 2019, 07:12 AM
The only one I miss is the high ponytail. Love that from about cbl to apl, but now it's just too heavy. But I can do buns now, so it all works out.

AmaryllisRed
May 19th, 2019, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I miss ponytails.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 08:05 AM
That's okay, Wusel. I will be able to wear the peacock twist for a while yet, probably about another six months for me as well.

I enjoyed your song, "Through Hell." You have a lovely voice.

Thank you! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ligeia Noire
May 19th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Same here. High ponytails. Le sigh.

lapushka
May 19th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Same here. High ponytails. Le sigh.

I used to love those even though mine sagged after about 15 min. LOL! I remember always pulling the sides apart to hoick it up.

Ligeia Noire
May 19th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Yes. I stll miss it though. I would use a upin to secure the elastic in place. So, it would take longer to sag.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Yes. I stll miss it though. I would use a upin to secure the elastic in place. So, it would take longer to sag.

How did you do it with the upin? Where did you put it?

Ligeia Noire
May 19th, 2019, 10:43 AM
I would grab the last loop/turn of the elastic (on the top) with the Upin twist it and slide the Upin on the base of the ponytail, so it would lift it up and prevent fast sagging.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 11:06 AM
I would grab the last loop/turn of the elastic (on the top) with the Upin twist it and slide the Upin on the base of the ponytail, so it would lift it up and prevent fast sagging.

Thank you :) That's a good trick :)

Kat
May 19th, 2019, 03:38 PM
I had to google a peacock twist... how is it different from a French twist?

I did. Or, maybe I never could do it in the first place, I dunno; I didn't start trying it until my hair was at least waist-length. It simply sags. Maybe I could put in an elastic tighter, but I haven't figured out how; if it's loose enough to double the hair through for the final wrap, it's too loose to hold the ponytail.

What I do is wrap my hair as if for a bun, but only do one loop; then I pull the rest of the hair through the hole in the middle. It looks like a bun with a ponytail coming out of it (the ponytail part is still about waist length). The bun is held with pins as normal, and it's all well-supported (though throughout the day, even this tends to slowly start sagging, possibly because the bun slowly rotates as it tries to untwist). (The only problem with that is, then the ponytail comprises the thinner ends of my hair, and doesn't look nice and fluffy like a ponytail should.)

One can also "outgrow" a ponytail simply because the ponytail might be longer than is practical. Like, if I put my hair (nearly-classic-length; time to trim!) into a regular high ponytail right now (not the bun-base type), the ends are still almost tailbone-length.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I had to google a peacock twist... how is it different from a French twist?

In a french twist you fold the ends under the twist, in a peacock you let them stick out, upwards, like a crown in the back of your head, or hanging down, when your hair is longer.

MusicalSpoons
May 19th, 2019, 04:08 PM
I'd love to see a clear tutorial for a log roll with very long ii hair; yeah the peacock twist is long gone for me (somewhere way back in my childhood) but I feel like I ought to be able to do a log roll!

For a high ponytail, you could do one or more wraps as if to do a LWB but leave a long tail and secure with a stick / sticks / fork / flexi / whatever - the LWB base is much more stable than trying to keep an elastic or scrunchie in place. Not as swingy as a proper high ponytail, granted, (I do miss that) but shouldn't sag and you can also shorten it as much as you need :)

AmaryllisRed
May 19th, 2019, 05:33 PM
I'd love to see a clear tutorial for a log roll with very long ii hair; yeah the peacock twist is long gone for me (somewhere way back in my childhood) but I feel like I ought to be able to do a log roll!

For a high ponytail, you could do one or more wraps as if to do a LWB but leave a long tail and secure with a stick / sticks / fork / flexi / whatever - the LWB base is much more stable than trying to keep an elastic or scrunchie in place. Not as swingy as a proper high ponytail, granted, (I do miss that) but shouldn't sag and you can also shorten it as much as you need :)

This is how I do a log roll. Idk if that helps you. :)
https://youtu.be/Q7XKBUtl7O0

bparnell75
May 19th, 2019, 05:43 PM
Being able to back comb for a style and then comb it out easy. back combing is jut too much tangles to comb through tailbone + hair!

Wusel
May 20th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Being able to back comb for a style and then comb it out easy. back combing is jut too much tangles to comb through tailbone + hair!

Backcombing is too much tangles for my almost APL hair already... no way I can do that with my generally always tangly hair... I love some 50s hairstyles but they are only possible to accomplish when my hair is SL and shorter. Will miss that too.