PDA

View Full Version : Hair getting caught in necklaces

MandaMom2Three
November 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
HELP! Every time I wear a necklace my hair somehow gets tangled in it, either in the clasp or even in the chain itself! I mean HOPELESSLY tangled, have to snip the hair tangled :( . Some of my necklaces have sentimental value and I really don't want to have to stop wearing them. Does this happen to anyone else? Any ways to keep this from happening?:confused:

heidi w.
November 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
One idea is to take necklaces to a jeweler and slowly have clasps type changed out to the new magnetic style, if the hair is only getting caught in the clasp and not the chain linkage.

You'll like this idea for when you're old and arthritic. A lot easier to put on a necklace.

It shouldn't be a lot of money to change a clasp type.

Hair getting caught in necklaces and earrings is fairly common, btw.

heidi w.

Tyrinaniel
November 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Do you have a photo of the types of chains/clasps you have? Certain loops near the clasp tend to get tangled in the hair. I make jewelry, and it seems the lobster clasps don't entangle the hair. Normal links, and twisted chains haven't given me trouble in the past. Beaded necklaces are safe.

Try finding a better chain to put your charms on, and see about getting the clasps changed.

HairColoredHair
November 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
You could take off all the chains and store them away and put the pendants on ribbon or somesuch... :)

Anje
November 6th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Another option, on a necklace where your hair is just getting caught on the clasp, is to take a short section of aquarium tubing and slide it onto the necklace. After fastening the clasp, slide the tubing over it to keep the clasp and hair separate.

Otherwise, ribbons are definitely good.

joyfulmom4
November 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I have had this happen before. :-( And I actually have a little wisp of hair at the nape of my neck that I think is due to necklace tangling.

Having said that, it only happens to me rarely. More often, I get my hair tangled on buttons if I happen to wear a shirt that has buttons at the back neckline. (I try never to buy those anymore.) I think it depends some on the jewelry and type of clasp.

One thing I have discovered is that often, it isn't the clasp itself, but those little "jump rings" that connect the chain to the clasp. Ykwim? They are a little "O" shaped ring onto which the clasp connects. The ring is opened and closed to fix the clasp onto the chain. Sometimes, especially with less expensive jewelry (and all my jewelry is less expensive :o) the little jump rings aren't closed perfectly flush and so your hair can slip into the middle of the ring through the gap and get very tangled up. If you take a needle-nosed pliers (and magnifying glass if you have aged eyes like mine) you can gently squeeze the rings closed tightly so the ends are flush and there's no opening to catch hair through. I found that this made a big difference for me.

The type of chain matters too. Most of mine are OK, but the smooth round chains (don't know what they're called, but they're not like individual links, but smooth and solid like a rope) are a big no-no for me. I absolutely cannot wear them b/c the hair catches and breaks in the actual chain, not just the clasp.

AnneAdeline
November 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have a necklace with a boxy chain (not sure how to describe it) and it catches my hair constantly. So I only wear it when my hair is up now. I try to keep my hair up, but sometimes I'll forget that I have my necklace on and get tangles galore.
I like the idea of magnetic clasps...

MandaMom2Three
November 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It doesn't seem to matter what type of clasp (though I will definitely look into magnetic ones, I HATE HATE HATE trying to clasp necklaces!!!! I don't have any of the "rope" chains (sounds like they would be BAD NEWS) but just regular link chains and somehow my hair gets all around there :(. I'm going to look into changing the clasps to magnetic and maybe even apply something to the rings that hold them on (come to think of it, I had one that wouldn't stay on, I applied a bead of regular old elmer glue, it dries clear and it kept it very smooth, I think I'll try that). For those really nice/fancy ones, I'll just save them for when my hair is up and only wear ribbon, bead, string type necklaces when down. Thanks for the sounding board :D

susiemw
November 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Another option, on a necklace where your hair is just getting caught on the clasp, is to take a short section of aquarium tubing and slide it onto the necklace. After fastening the clasp, slide the tubing over it to keep the clasp and hair separate.

Otherwise, ribbons are definitely good.

Great idea!

i have a couple necklaces that eat my hair and while
I'm not sure why only those necklaces eat my hair, this will be a great way to salvage them.

Susan

Anje
November 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Great idea!

i have a couple necklaces that eat my hair and while
I'm not sure why only those necklaces eat my hair, this will be a great way to salvage them.

Susan

Thanks. I don't think it's my idea, though. I'm sure I read it somewhere (perhaps on LHC), unless I dreamt that I read it.

spidermom
November 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Oh yes; I have this problem. I have several types of necklace chain, and my hair seems to snake around all of it. I've gotten out of the habit of wearing necklaces because of that. I forget to put one on even when my hair is up. I love the ribbon idea and will try it; thank you.

aries
November 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I got a new Wheat (I think that's how it's spelled) chain for a pendant I have and it doesn't tangle my hair at all. I do however have problems with the clasp so wear it in the front by the pendant. I don't care if it looks strange as long as it isn't tangling my hair in it. The thing that makes me laugh is that people are always trying to straighten my necklace and I have to stop them. I seriously do not have any problem with the hair getting caught in the chain. Until I got this necklace I hadn't worn one in around 8 or 9 years because of hair breakage. I even sleep in this chain.

I need to check into the magnectic claps because I am getting arthritic fingers. Didn't know there was such a thing. Do they have these at jewelers? If so I wonder why my personal jeweler didn't say anything about them.

seadaughter
November 6th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Happens to me with some of my necklaces...I just wear the hair up with those ones.

sahiba
November 6th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I got a new Wheat (I think that's how it's spelled) chain for a pendant I have and it doesn't tangle my hair at all. I do however have problems with the clasp so wear it in the front by the pendant. I don't care if it looks strange as long as it isn't tangling my hair in it. The thing that makes me laugh is that people are always trying to straighten my necklace and I have to stop them. I seriously do not have any problem with the hair getting caught in the chain. Until I got this necklace I hadn't worn one in around 8 or 9 years because of hair breakage. I even sleep in this chain.

I need to check into the magnectic claps because I am getting arthritic fingers. Didn't know there was such a thing. Do they have these at jewelers? If so I wonder why my personal jeweler didn't say anything about them.

That's what I started doing with my necklaces ... wear the clasp in front . Mostly my hair is up , but when down that's how I wear my chains and guess what ,I call it my style statement :wink:

HairColoredHair
November 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM

If they don't have them at your jewelers they sell them online and in some places with 'as seen on tv' sections (like Target or Younkers.)

Tressie
November 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I have this same problem, and I have enough broken/short hairts at my nape to tangle in the chain when my hair is up or down! It gets really really tangled too, yuk!

I think the aquarium tubing idea sounds like a good possible solution! Thanks for the thread and the suggestions!