PDA

View Full Version : Wavy hair, looking "stringy"

catoala
May 18th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Haven
May 18th, 2019, 12:50 PM
For me, using plenty of conditioner has been key in keeping my texture defined and detangled. How exactly do conditioners make your hair "weird?"

catoala
May 18th, 2019, 01:04 PM
For me, using plenty of conditioner has been key in keeping my texture defined and detangled. How exactly do conditioners make your hair "weird?"

No matter which one I use, my hair gets tangled, without it it's relatively fine. And dry ends...

hayheadsbird
May 18th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Sounds like it might be build up, have you tried clarifying?

catoala
May 18th, 2019, 03:05 PM

Panthera
May 18th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Could you show a picture?

MusicalSpoons
May 18th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Hmm. What shampoo do you use, and have you tried all different kinds of conditioners - silicones, silicone-free, non-buildup silicones, with/without humectants, protein, etc.? It sounds like your hair dislikes *something* in the conditioner and if you can identify it, you'd then be able to try conditioner without.

Alternatively, you could try the rinse-out oil method, or condition then shampoo, or even conditioning herbs.

Edit: forgot to ask, how quickly after using it does your hair get tangly and dry?

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Yes, list the products you use. How long your hair is, maybe it all adds up to something.

And a picture (of the back of the head) would be nice.

catoala
May 19th, 2019, 04:06 AM

Panthera
May 19th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Maybe your hair just doesn't need conditioner or the one you're using isn't right for your hair. What kind of conditioner have you been using, what brand? Do you rinse it out or leave in? All it needs is one wrong ingredient in the conditioner or shampoo and it can give weird results.

lapushka
May 19th, 2019, 05:57 AM
I use a normal basic shampoo I have: always been, no issues. Since I did not use conditoner before, but started about a few months ago, since then my hair just gets all weird and dry at the ends. So since I stoppęd, it's far better. I also oil them up, so no issues either.

I'm pretty sure those are tangles, and I have no idea how to keep them "at bay"

What kind of conditioner? What kind of shampoo?

Is it a sulfate based shampoo or a sulfate-free one, if sulfate-free, have you clarified with a sulfate lately?

catoala
May 19th, 2019, 06:21 AM

EdG
May 19th, 2019, 10:01 AM
I use a normal basic shampoo I have: always been, no issues. Since I did not use conditoner before, but started about a few months ago, since then my hair just gets all weird and dry at the ends. So since I stoppęd, it's far better. I also oil them up, so no issues either.

I'm pretty sure those are tangles, and I have no idea how to keep them "at bay" Persistent tangles and hair clumping together are signs of lint. Check the comb and shed hairs for lint. You will need to look closely under a bright light.

The conditioner may be giving enough slip to cause lint and waxy sebum to move towards the ends of the hair. if this is the case, the solution is to get the lint out.
Ed