PDA

View Full Version : Effects of fish oil on hair?

TheLuckyLurker
May 16th, 2019, 06:46 PM
My doctor just put me on fish oil supplements for my cholesterol. I've heard it can have benefits for the skin, and I was wondering if that also holds true for hair?

Stardreamer
May 16th, 2019, 07:17 PM
You don't put the fish oil on top of your hair?

RottenMango
May 17th, 2019, 01:15 AM
I’ve never taken fish oil, but I know people who have and they said the fish oil pills made their hair shinier. I’m tempted to try them and see if I get good results.

Wusel
May 17th, 2019, 01:28 AM
GREAT EFFECTS!
I put it on my hair, scalp, face, hands... all over my body. I stink a bit for a while but the effects are AWESOME. I do it since years and ppl tell me I look much younger :) From my experience it helps with hairloss and makes hair stronger.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 01:36 AM
Wusel, I think you're supposed to eat it!

Wusel
May 17th, 2019, 01:56 AM
Wusel, I think you're supposed to eat it!

I know. I eat it too. But I also put it on my skin and hair :)

ChloeDharma
May 17th, 2019, 03:16 AM
I know. I eat it too. But I also put it on my skin and hair :)

I thought you were joking at first but hey, if it works then great. I mean, if some people can cope with neem oil then fish is like a fresh breeze!

Wusel
May 17th, 2019, 05:56 AM
I thought you were joking at first but hey, if it works then great. I mean, if some people can cope with neem oil then fish is like a fresh breeze!

I'm tough. ROFL. I put neem oil on my hair too. :D

Servana
May 17th, 2019, 06:17 AM
I used to take fish oil tablets for my eye pains. Not only did it get rid of my pain, it also really sped up my hair and nail growth. It's the only thing I've ever done that's had a noticeable effect on growth. I actually switched to vitamin B6 for my eye pains instead because fish oil was making my hair grow too rapidly (I just wanted to maintain at waist).

Wusel
May 17th, 2019, 11:38 AM
I used to take fish oil tablets for my eye pains. Not only did it get rid of my pain, it also really sped up my hair and nail growth. It's the only thing I've ever done that's had a noticeable effect on growth. I actually switched to vitamin B6 for my eye pains instead because fish oil was making my hair grow too rapidly (I just wanted to maintain at waist).

I have experienced the same but I'm actually happy about my fast growth. I get 2,5cm per month when I take fish oil (internally and externally) OR eat fatty fish every day. Like salmon or sardines. I've just brought 10 cans of sardines and 10 cans of salmon from the supermarket. The canned fish does the job too. :)

Liz_H
May 17th, 2019, 09:38 PM
This must account for my rapid hair growth these days. It's always been faster than normal. It has really surprised me since I've been letting it grow out. These days I take a lot of fish oil on my doctor's recommendation.

ChloeDharma
May 18th, 2019, 12:17 AM
I'm tough. ROFL. I put neem oil on my hair too. :D

Oh yikes! I do want to use neem oil but the smell makes me gag, even diluted in other oils WITH essential oils added. I might give it another go at some point though now use the infused leaves which do a good job for scalp and skin health, with no stink.

I'm thinking I might invest in some fish oils as I have joint issues (among other things) so if it hellps that and then helps hair growth then bonus.

GrowlingCupcake
May 18th, 2019, 12:30 AM
Has anyone tried other omega-3 fatty acid rich supplements, particularly linseed/flaxseed oil? I'm not willing to do fish or krill oil supplements but I've been thinking about adding flaxseed; my cholesterol ratio is great right now, but it can certainly be improved.

Do you guys find that those supplements also help with hair growth? It might be the push I need to make it a habit rather than a when-I-remember thing.

Wusel
May 18th, 2019, 01:50 AM
Oh yikes! I do want to use neem oil but the smell makes me gag, even diluted in other oils WITH essential oils added. I might give it another go at some point though now use the infused leaves which do a good job for scalp and skin health, with no stink.

I'm thinking I might invest in some fish oils as I have joint issues (among other things) so if it hellps that and then helps hair growth then bonus.

Did you try it with peppermint essential oil? For me it helps because the peppermint is so strong. When I have it on my hair with the neem, the whole house smells of peppermint and I don't get much of the neem smell. I have organic peppermint oil you use for flavoring food. You can make peppermint candy with it and only one drop on 100 grams of candy mix is enough. So, it's very strong and covers every other smell.

Begemot
May 18th, 2019, 02:18 AM
Has anyone tried other omega-3 fatty acid rich supplements, particularly linseed/flaxseed oil? I'm not willing to do fish or krill oil supplements but I've been thinking about adding flaxseed; my cholesterol ratio is great right now, but it can certainly be improved.

Do you guys find that those supplements also help with hair growth? It might be the push I need to make it a habit rather than a when-I-remember thing.

I have been using wheat germ oil regularly for over a year and I do think my hair has benefited from it. More in the terms of quality than growth though. Before wheat germ oil I took fish oil capsules. Wheat germ oil could be an option for you if you don't mind drinking up oil instead of taking capsules (I haven't come across wheat germ oil capsules but I haven't actually looked very hard since oil works fine for me). It does not taste good but it's not impossibly bad for me either :)

GrowlingCupcake
May 18th, 2019, 02:31 AM
I have been using wheat germ oil regularly for over a year and I do think my hair has benefited from it. More in the terms of quality than growth though. Before wheat germ oil I took fish oil capsules. Wheat germ oil could be an option for you if you don't mind drinking up oil instead of taking capsules (I haven't come across wheat germ oil capsules but I haven't actually looked very hard since oil works fine for me). It does not taste good but it's not impossibly bad for me either :)

Increasing quality is good :) I'll have to look into wheat germ oil (I don't mind drinking it). Did fish oil give you the same results? Or worse/better? Different?

Begemot
May 18th, 2019, 02:39 AM
Increasing quality is good :) I'll have to look into wheat germ oil (I don't mind drinking it). Did fish oil give you the same results? Or worse/better? Different?

Gotta say I don't think I took fish oil regularly enough to say. I took rounds of it max. twice a year and I also wasn't watching my hair too closely to see difference. I take a tsp of wheat germ oil pretty much daily now and I think my new growth looks smoother and more shiny. My nape hair has grown stronger too.

ChloeDharma
May 18th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Did you try it with peppermint essential oil? For me it helps because the peppermint is so strong. When I have it on my hair with the neem, the whole house smells of peppermint and I don't get much of the neem smell. I have organic peppermint oil you use for flavoring food. You can make peppermint candy with it and only one drop on 100 grams of candy mix is enough. So, it's very strong and covers every other smell.

Oh yes, peppermint EO has been a staple for years. I now like to combine it with spearmint too which goes lovely with it (though I find it hard not to drink the stuff as the smell is so delicious!). I also add lemongrass which has a very strong smell, even stronger than the peppermint. Maybe I'll just start using it and try to get used to it, like I managed with the mustard oil.

Wusel
May 19th, 2019, 02:41 AM
Oh yes, peppermint EO has been a staple for years. I now like to combine it with spearmint too which goes lovely with it (though I find it hard not to drink the stuff as the smell is so delicious!). I also add lemongrass which has a very strong smell, even stronger than the peppermint. Maybe I'll just start using it and try to get used to it, like I managed with the mustard oil.

Yes. I'm a perfume reviewer so I know that you can get used/anosmic to smells or start liking smells you hated before after using for a while. When you use it regularly you won't notice it that much after a while and it won't be that unbearable to you anymore. Just press on regardless! It's worth a try since it's good for your hair :)

LittleHealthy
May 19th, 2019, 03:23 AM
I’ve taken fish oil since I was 18 (I’m 27 now) for eczema. My naturopath put me on it. He said “you’ll love it because your hair and nails will grow faster and healthier, too!” I always remembered that and it’s definitely true for my fingernails, but I’m not sure with hair as I’ve never stopped taking the fish oil to know how my growth would be without it!!

Aerya
May 19th, 2019, 04:13 AM
Because of this thread I just bought a bottle, lol. I have taken it since I was a kid, my dad would always force us to have a spoonful at breakfast, but as an adult I've been on and off mostly in winter. I know they recommend taking it year round now though.

TheLuckyLurker
May 19th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Sounds like fish oil is winner all around. Now, does anybody know why these "mini soft gels" are so f*(&^ big? It's ridiculous!

blackgothicdoll
May 19th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Sounds like fish oil is winner all around. Now, does anybody know why these "mini soft gels" are so f*(&^ big? It's ridiculous!

Well, they have to contain the oil in them. So if they were any smaller, you'd have to take more. I'm not a fan of the size either (which would be why I still have a large bottle in my pantry that I've never finished, won't say how old it is but I should definitely check the exp. date), but at least they are 'softish' and not like solid horse pills.

LittleHealthy
May 19th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Yes - you can take the smaller ones but you would need to take more of them. I’m on a high dose for my eczema so I kind of prefer to take the bigger tablets and less of them.

LittleHealthy
May 19th, 2019, 07:57 PM
You can also get it in liquid form, if tablets are truly just too difficult. The liquid form is ok, some is flavoured with cinnamon etc. But tablets are far more palatable in my opinion :laugh:

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Fish oil comes in tablets? That's the first ever I've heard of that. :D They sell them in soft gel capsules here too.

And gosh TheLuckyLurker thank goodness you don't have a health issue. I have to take a lot of medication and it often is quite big too. LOL. I manage. :)

bparnell75
May 20th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I have been taking fish oil every day for 20 years. One thing I can say for sure. It does not stop thinning hair.

TheLuckyLurker
May 20th, 2019, 07:49 PM
The pills aren't big enough to cause me problems, it just irks me. Especially because I also take a vitamin D supplement and those soft gels are tiny!

Liz_H
May 27th, 2019, 06:38 AM
My nails have gotten weaker and prone to splitting over the past year or two. This thread got me wondering if some of my supplements were out of balance. I looked it up. No supplements trigger this. Apparently nails often dry out as we age. The solution is to put lotion or moisturizer on every time you wash your hands. I'll see if it helps... once I start remembering to do so!

TheLuckyLurker
May 27th, 2019, 07:41 PM
I've found it got easier to both remember and actually do when I started putting a bottle of lotion right there at the sink with the soap.

LittleHealthy
May 27th, 2019, 09:58 PM
Fish oil comes in tablets? That's the first ever I've heard of that. :D They sell them in soft gel capsules here too.

We say tablets here, in my family and town at least. You know I meant capsules :laugh:

Todd
May 28th, 2019, 06:15 AM
I've been taking fish oil tablets for about the last year (my doctor advised it to help with my rosacea). If it helps my hair that's a big bonus! But I haven't noticed any improvement or growth yet.

By the way, I keep the bottle of tablets in the freezer and swallow them frozen. Some people complain of fishy burps or aftertaste and keeping them frozen supposedly eliminates that problem. No complaints here!

Liz_H
May 29th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Excellent idea. Thanks

I've found it got easier to both remember and actually do when I started putting a bottle of lotion right there at the sink with the soap.