PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my hair less messy and scraggly when worn down???

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 01:57 PM
My hair is tailbone length, and is naturally wavy. Every time I try to wear it down, within a minute it gets all messy and scraggly looking.

But then I see other girls who wear their hair down and their hair looks so beautiful and put together, so soft and shiny. And then mine just looks so blah and messy

What kinds of styling products are they using to get their hair so nice looking when it's down? Because they don't brush their hair every two seconds, which is pretty much what I would have to do in order to keep my hair looking nice when it's down. Every time I move my hair it just looks scraggly.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2019, 02:02 PM
It's pretty normal for hair to look a bit dishevelled when worn down. The only way for it not to would be if you sat completely still and never moved around. The best way would be regular detangling and you already do that. I don't know what others do but I would also have to detangle regularly if I wore mine loose. You say your hair is wavy, your waves probably want to clump together, which is what waves like to do, and that's not bad. It's just what wavy hair does.

Hair doesn't come like the shampoo advertisements. If you know any of these other girls maybe you could ask them what they do?

Milkchocolate
May 16th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I would say it’s a bit of a process for us girls with naturally frizzy hair :) first in my opinion, it starts during the washing. perhaps a sulfate-free shampoo that’s not overly drying, followed by a deep conditioner. After drying, detangle!! Then use a moisturizing/shine oil or serum. It’s all about the moisture!!

nycelle
May 16th, 2019, 02:18 PM
They either have their hair cut in a way that allows it to look good down, or they style it.. or both.

Very long, same length hair (unless it's very healthy with no damage and has some decent thickness) can generally look a bit scraggly. I'm not saying this to offend anyone, it's just my opinion and how it looks to me.
My own hair is now waist length, and I think it looks messy too.

TreesOfEternity
May 16th, 2019, 03:07 PM
For me is exactly the same, and my hair is almost pin straight. The only time in my life it hasn’t looked messy when worn down was when I flat ironed it and used gel or hair spray.

I prefer my messy but healthy hair to be honest hahaha. Maybe it looks all over the place, but once you touch it you can really tell which really is scraggly and which isn’t :) I try to embrace the natural look of hair instead of trying to make it look like and advertisement, but it’s a process yes, it can be difficult not comparing to other people.

And as Sarah said, asking those girls is always an option! We may learn something new.

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2019, 03:20 PM
Honestly, I'd assume they blow-dry it straight (using the normal 'hot' setting) and/or use straighteners. My hair clumps when it's down and I'm only a 1 texture*, and yes I think it looks stringy - coming here and learning why it does that really helped, not to solve the problem but to understand what's happening and accept it. (Not that I wear my hair down, but if I comb my hair for a length shot then move too much it's all clumped again; it helps to know that's just how hair is, and also helped me accept the memories from my younger self and know there wasn't anything wrong with my hair for not being smooth and shiny like the other girls who did blow-dry and straighten theirs.)

*Edit: I didn't look at your stats, just assumed you were in the 2s because you said 'naturally wavy' :)

Edit 2: Just gonna creep back here and say my hair turns out to be wavier than I thought, so anyone reading please take my above message with a pinch of salt. Apparently my 'stringy' ends actually did want to be waves :doh:

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 03:20 PM
My hair is tailbone length, and is naturally wavy. Every time I try to wear it down, within a minute it gets all messy and scraggly looking.

But then I see other girls who wear their hair down and their hair looks so beautiful and put together, so soft and shiny. And then mine just looks so blah and messy

What kinds of styling products are they using to get their hair so nice looking when it's down? Because they don't brush their hair every two seconds, which is pretty much what I would have to do in order to keep my hair looking nice when it's down. Every time I move my hair it just looks scraggly.

Are you sure you're not just being too hard on yourself? :)

Also have you hair typed yourself correctly, as you are saying it's wavy, but your stats say 1b, which is basically a straight type. This might help us with our answers because if you're a 2, you actually need quite a bit of moisture to make it behave. Ask me how I know. LOL!

What's your routine like now? Do you put anything in after washing? How do you wash, with what kinds of products?

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Are you sure you're not just being too hard on yourself? :)

Also have you hair typed yourself correctly, as you are saying it's wavy, but your stats say 1b, which is basically a straight type. This might help us with our answers because if you're a 2, you actually need quite a bit of moisture to make it behave. Ask me how I know. LOL!

What's your routine like now? Do you put anything in after washing? How do you wash, with what kinds of products?

Oh, that 1b is wrong, I had some people type me in this forum before and I can't remember what they said it was. It was WAY curlier than I thought though, it's just that when I brush it when damp which I usually do, sometimes I can get it to dry pretty straight, because it's very easy to mold into whatever waves or shapes I put it in. When I leave my hair to dry normally without brushing it, it gets very curly. My birth dad has extremely curly hair, so I get it from him.

I just shampooed and conditioned with some new products I'm trying out, the Shea Moisture brand, it has no sulfates or added chemicals etc. The shampoo is clarifying/purifying with charcoal, and the conditioner I thought was going to be moisturizing, but it didn't feel as moisturizing as I hoped. Then I put a bit of avocado oil on and some new moisture creams from the same brand. I'm trying something new in hopes of taming my hair a bit. My hair still hasn't dried yet so I don't know how that will turn out yet.

Because before this I was using avocado oil and those hair oils after shampoo/conditioning, like moroccon oil, and it didn't work very well, just made my hair look oily, and I still ended up with waves and messy scraggly hair lol.

My hair gets very dry feeling so it would be nice to find something that moisturizes without making it greasy looking.

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Oh, that 1b is wrong, I had some people type me in this forum before and I can't remember what they said it was. It was WAY curlier than I thought though, it's just that when I brush it when damp which I usually do, sometimes I can get it to dry pretty straight, because it's very easy to mold into whatever waves or shapes I put it in. When I leave my hair to dry normally without brushing it, it gets very curly. My birth dad has extremely curly hair, so I get it from him.

I just shampooed and conditioned with some new products I'm trying out, the Shea Moisture brand, it has no sulfates or added chemicals etc. The shampoo is clarifying/purifying with charcoal, and the conditioner I thought was going to be moisturizing, but it didn't feel as moisturizing as I hoped. Then I put a bit of avocado oil on and some new moisture creams from the same brand. I'm trying something new in hopes of taming my hair a bit. My hair still hasn't dried yet so I don't know how that will turn out yet.

Because before this I was using avocado oil and those hair oils after shampoo/conditioning, like moroccon oil, and it didn't work very well, just made my hair look oily, and I still ended up with waves and messy scraggly hair lol.

My hair gets very dry feeling so it would be nice to find something that moisturizes without making it greasy looking.

Maybe let us hair type you again? If you feel up to it, though, because I do get that making a hairtyping picture isn't the easiest (having to let your hair dry a certain way, etc.)

I would try a leave-in after you wash, and if it is wavy/curly, I would only brush when washing (loaded with conditioner), and not after anymore. That might make it all very different.

You can't compare yourself to smoother textures, that is literally the downfall!

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Maybe let us hair type you again? If you feel up to it, though, because I do get that making a hairtyping picture isn't the easiest (having to let your hair dry a certain way, etc.)

I would try a leave-in after you wash, and if it is wavy/curly, I would only brush when washing (loaded with conditioner), and not after anymore. That might make it all very different.

You can't compare yourself to smoother textures, that is literally the downfall!

I can't figure out how to post pictures , but here's a link to a pic of my hair recently when I had gone swimming, it dried naturally, and I didn't brush it. It's so terrible and messy in that picture lol.
https://imgur.com/DgZdxfn

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 04:12 PM
thunderseed, that's lovely! Don't be so hard on yourself. OK, it's a bit rough after swimming, but nothing a good styler can't fix!
I think that's about 2a/b.

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 04:13 PM
They either have their hair cut in a way that allows it to look good down, or they style it.. or both.

Very long, same length hair (unless it's very healthy with no damage and has some decent thickness) can generally look a bit scraggly. I'm not saying this to offend anyone, it's just my opinion and how it looks to me.
My own hair is now waist length, and I think it looks messy too.

Yeah my hair is fine, and could be thicker, so maybe that's why it ends up looking scraggly too lol and I am prone to split ends

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 04:15 PM
thunderseed, that's lovely! Don't be so hard on yourself. OK, it's a bit rough after swimming, but nothing a good styler can't fix!
I think that's about 2a/b.

Ok thanks! What is your fave moisturizer?

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Ok thanks! What is your fave moisturizer?

I love the Jamaican Black Castor oil leave-in by Shea Moisture. I only need like a tiny dollop, or two for classic length, about 2 small coin sizes and that is more than enough, so actually a tub will last you a long time. They recently changed the formula, but it is still a good product! Some people say it smells like play doh, but I smell a nice warm vanilla, and it and the scent lasts in your hair an entire week!

thunderseed
May 16th, 2019, 04:29 PM
I love the Jamaican Black Castor oil leave-in by Shea Moisture. I only need like a tiny dollop, or two for classic length, about 2 small coin sizes and that is more than enough, so actually a tub will last you a long time. They recently changed the formula, but it is still a good product! Some people say it smells like play doh, but I smell a nice warm vanilla, and it and the scent lasts in your hair an entire week!

Oh good that is the one I just bought! Except I put in way more than you recommend lol hopefully it doesn't look all greasy once it dries.

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Oh good that is the one I just bought! Except I put in way more than you recommend lol hopefully it doesn't look all greasy once it dries.

Yes, this one can get oily quite fast. Hope it dries OK!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 01:57 AM

Is it an actual oil, Lapushka, or is it more like a paste? What' it's texture? Is it hard to spread through your hair? Would it stain light coloured hair?

LadyCelestina
May 17th, 2019, 02:02 AM
If you brush your waves and don't do anything to reset them, it's going to be messy and grabby.

Most curlies/wavies who do use a brush alse set their hair again, for example by dampening and doing a braid or a cinnabun for a while :) Sometimes I brush through some parts of my hair with a TT, and then re-set the wave by doing a cinnabun.

Of course there's also the option of not brushing!

Begemot
May 17th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself! Your hair looks just fine :)

In the past my hair would get scraggly and webby the second I wore it down and I felt it only looked good just after brushing or when I styled it. My hair was dehydrated and damaged (not very but still somewhat and it went away completely only after I grew the damage out). What helped me was doing regular deep conditioning treatments. Knowing what ingredients your hair likes is important. It kinda matters what type of leave-ins you use, since some hair enjoys water based, some like creamy and some require oils. Experiment LOC and LCO methods.

GrowinIt
May 17th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Wear it as it is proudly =). I just accept the fact that my hair looks the way it does, and wear it like it is.

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Is it an actual oil, Lapushka, or is it more like a paste? What' it's texture? Is it hard to spread through your hair? Would it stain light coloured hair?

It's a leave-in, so like all other leave-ins out there, it's a cream, *but* this one is quite runny. They have changed the formula on them and it has gotten "thicker" in consistency since.

I do think it would stain lighter hair, as it has black castor oil in it. And I thought, I might be mistaken, that castor oil did stain lighter hair?

You can't use too much of this, though, because it kind of does act like an oil in the hair, best comparison I can give; it is *very* moisturizing.

ETA/

I find it quite easy to spread through the hair.

At first, when I got the tub, I was surprised it was that runny. Because I have less runnier stuff and they put that into a pump bottle, or regular bottle.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 04:58 AM
It's a leave-in, so like all other leave-ins out there, it's a cream, *but* this one is quite runny. They have changed the formula on them and it has gotten "thicker" in consistency since.

I do think it would stain lighter hair, as it has black castor oil in it. And I thought, I might be mistaken, that castor oil did stain lighter hair?

You can't use too much of this, though, because it kind of does act like an oil in the hair, best comparison I can give; it is *very* moisturizing.

ETA/

I find it quite easy to spread through the hair.

At first, when I got the tub, I was surprised it was that runny. Because I have less runnier stuff and they put that into a pump bottle, or regular bottle.

Thanks for this. I don't know if castor oil stains lighter hair or not, but maybe I shouldn't risk it.

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Thanks for this. I don't know if castor oil stains lighter hair or not, but maybe I shouldn't risk it.

If you are looking for a good leave-in, I would try the Cantu shea leave-in, Sarah. I like it as well. I mix my stylers a lot, I use my curl creams this week, then another week I do a leave-in. But the Cantu one I like as well. It's thicker, a dollop is enough, spread through palms and I then scrunch it in. You don't need much of this one either, but it is less prone to getting "too much" too fast.

milosmomma
May 17th, 2019, 07:00 AM
You have alot of nice waves in the picture thunderseed, I agree with those who think work with your texture. Bring out the waves even more, only brush when wet and see how they come out. Scrunching or plopping might help a bit, I personally get some extra tangles that way but if you're planning to wear it down then I assume you know there will be some tangles anyways. You've already had good product recommendations but I'll mention one more, kinky curly knot today. It really helps me with frizz at the crown and ends of my hair where my waves try to separate. I think we have a similar wave pattern :) Also I'll suggest sealing in moisture if you plan to wear down, I think I saw the LOC or LCO method mentioned already but sometimes all that is too heavy for my hair personally and just a bit of oil is all that's needed. Happy experimenting! I hope you post pictures if you wear it down again :)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 07:06 AM
If you are looking for a good leave-in, I would try the Cantu shea leave-in, Sarah. I like it as well. I mix my stylers a lot, I use my curl creams this week, then another week I do a leave-in. But the Cantu one I like as well. It's thicker, a dollop is enough, spread through palms and I then scrunch it in. You don't need much of this one either, but it is less prone to getting "too much" too fast.

Well, see, I don't use leave-ins, so I was being curious and now I don't know if i should try one or not. I'm not sure that I need one since my hair is always bunned - but your is too, so....ETA: Do you put something in your hair every day, or just once a week?

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Well, see, I don't use leave-ins, so I was being curious and now I don't know if i should try one or not. I'm not sure that I need one since my hair is always bunned - but your is too, so....ETA: Do you put something in your hair every day, or just once a week?

If you don't need it, don't rock the boat!

I put it all in my hair once, weekly, after my wash, on damp (toweldry) hair. And that's it for the week. I have moisturized ends the week through, but I use the LOC/LCO method and end with a serum these days.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 07:48 AM
If you don't need it, don't rock the boat!

I put it all in my hair once, weekly, after my wash, on damp (toweldry) hair. And that's it for the week. I have moisturized ends the week through, but I use the LOC/LCO method and end with a serum these days.

Oh, ok. :D Sometimes I wonder about other products and methods. But I am happy with my routine, so wisdom tells me it's probably best to stick with it. Wouldn't want to upset my hair! :laugh:

pailin
May 17th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Mine ends up frizzy to my eyes no matter what I do, but I still get compliments all the time if I do wear it down. So I suspect that it's to a large extent in the eyes of the beholder.
They generally say wavies should only detangle wet, but mine is a nightmare to detangle unless it's dry. So sometimes I wear it down without detangling at all after washing, then detangle later.... No one ever seems to notice that I didn't even comb my hair.

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 08:14 AM
Oh, ok. :D Sometimes I wonder about other products and methods. But I am happy with my routine, so wisdom tells me it's probably best to stick with it. Wouldn't want to upset my hair! :laugh:

I think you could try, but to specially buy something for this purpose? Nah! You could just use a good (not to oily) rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in (it's done all the time). It's that I have so many "stylers", or I would probably be doing that too.

Mine ends up frizzy to my eyes no matter what I do, but I still get compliments all the time if I do wear it down. So I suspect that it's to a large extent in the eyes of the beholder.
They generally say wavies should only detangle wet, but mine is a nightmare to detangle unless it's dry. So sometimes I wear it down without detangling at all after washing, then detangle later.... No one ever seems to notice that I didn't even comb my hair.

Totally! :agree:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 08:17 AM
I think you could try, but to specially buy something for this purpose? Nah! You could just use a good (not to oily) rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in (it's done all the time). It's that I have so many "stylers", or I would probably be doing that too.

Totally! :agree:

Do you have a suggestion for a conditioner I might try. Lapushka?

Obsidian
May 17th, 2019, 08:26 AM

Johnson and Johnson make a leave in for kids that is pretty nice. If you shop around, you can find it for around $5 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Johnson-s-No-More-Tangles-Leave-In-Conditioner-6-7-Fl-Oz/51989165

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Whatever you have on hand, should be fine.

What do you have?

Lady Stardust
May 17th, 2019, 11:56 AM

I’ve seen some posts over the last few months where people are reporting sensitivities to certain ingredients. The ingredients in question have been limited (within the EU) to rinse out products, because they are a known irritant. Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone come to mind, and there was also one that I had problems with - I think it was Behentrimonium Chloride but I’m not entirely sure if that was the culprit.

As some people are reporting problems with these ingredients even in rinse out products, I would avoid using a rinse out conditioner as a leave in without checking the ingredients first. Not to say that it can’t be done, but just something to look out for.

nycelle
May 17th, 2019, 12:38 PM
I’ve seen some posts over the last few months where people are reporting sensitivities to certain ingredients. The ingredients in question have been limited (within the EU) to rinse out products, because they are a known irritant. Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone come to mind, and there was also one that I had problems with - I think it was Behentrimonium Chloride but I’m not entirely sure if that was the culprit.

As some people are reporting problems with these ingredients even in rinse out products, I would avoid using a rinse out conditioner as a leave in without checking the ingredients first. Not to say that it can’t be done, but just something to look out for.

I had this issue with a product that claimed it could be used as a rinse out or leave-in, and contained the two M ingredients. No issue when I rinsed it out, but when I used it as a leave-in, it irritated my neck.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 12:42 PM

How do you use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in, do you just apply as usual in the shower and then not rinse it out as thoroughly as usual? Or do you put a little on your hand and stroke it through your hair?

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 12:57 PM
How do you use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in, do you just apply as usual in the shower and then not rinse it out as thoroughly as usual? Or do you put a little on your hand and stroke it through your hair?

Just like a leave-in, so last option. But maybe do be careful with the ingredients. I had no idea of reported sensitivities, but it might be worth it then investing a little in a true leave-in product.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Just like a leave-in, so last option. But maybe do be careful with the ingredients. I had no idea of reported sensitivities, but it might be worth it then investing a little in a true leave-in product.

Maybe I'll try it. I have some Olive Mythique conditioner, maybe that will be ok?

I went to buy some more this week and the store had the shampoo but not the conditioner, I hope they haven't stopped stocking it :(

Should I dampen my hair before stroking it through?

SleepyTangles
May 17th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Hey there. My hair is rather fine and it just is not in his nature to look nice and put together after half an hour down. The single hair strands just disperse and start playing around. If the weather is bad and loaded of statics, it can happen in minutes.
They never look picture perfect, unless I sleep with rollers in my head (ouch!). Product can help, but can also cause build up, and for whatever reason my hair always looks "scraggly" and frizzy with build up.
I personally handle the situation with mild, very diluted ACV rinses, that discourage hair from dispersing and catching statics so easily, but usually I try to embrace the "wild" look as far as I can. After all, if girls spray salty water and crunch their hair in hope to have the (almost) same results, it means that its not so ugly, is it? ;)

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Maybe I'll try it. I have some Olive Mythique conditioner, maybe that will be ok?

I went to buy some more this week and the store had the shampoo but not the conditioner, I hope they haven't stopped stocking it :(

Should I dampen my hair before stroking it through?

I would wait until wash day, Sarah. To try it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I would wait until wash day, Sarah. To try it.

Oh, ok. Thanks! :D

lithostoic
May 17th, 2019, 03:26 PM
My hair is like that. I've been asked "do you ever brush your hair?" before lol. What I find helpful is spraying my hair with a moisturizing leave-in and brushing through it. This settles it down so it's not as frizzy or grabby. More soft and fluffy.

Ylva
May 17th, 2019, 03:46 PM

It did not stain my hair, and my ends are platinum blonde and high porosity.

This is a very valid point. I am one of those that are sensitive to methyl(chloro)isothiazolinone and I would have to look out for that if I was to use a regular rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in, even though it already gives me trouble in rinse-out products, too.

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 04:48 PM
It did not stain my hair, and my ends are platinum blonde and high porosity.

Oh great! That's good to know. But would it "act" the same on dye as on virgin hair? :hmm:

Ylva
May 17th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Oh great! That's good to know. But would it "act" the same on dye as on virgin hair? :hmm:

I think it comes down to porosity and lightness only. My hair is what's most prone to staining.

lapushka
May 17th, 2019, 05:07 PM
I think it comes down to porosity and lightness only. My hair is what's most prone to staining.

Oh OK. I was wondering. :) Of course bleach is different than dye. But it's puzzling to me.

Ylva
May 17th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Oh OK. I was wondering. :) Of course bleach is different than dye. But it's puzzling to me.

Yeah, it can actually be a bit weird. Some hair returns very close to its natural porosity while other hair's porosity is greatly affected by the peroxide in bleach or dye, so it's not always so straight forward. :) But I know for sure my ends are highly porous - there's no way they could be anything else considering all they've been through as well haha.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 18th, 2019, 02:42 AM
It didn't stain your hair, Yiva? I would have expected that it would. So do think it's a good product? Do you still use it?

Ylva
May 18th, 2019, 08:30 AM
It didn't stain your hair, Yiva? I would have expected that it would. So do think it's a good product? Do you still use it?

Nope, no staining for me! But it's worth noting that I do mostly use sulfate shampoos and even though I don't wash all of my hair with them often, it still runs through the lengths, so maybe that helps prevent staining. However, my hair is so light and my ends are so porous that I'd expect to get staining either way if I was to get any.

I do think it's a good product, but it's very unforgiving in terms of how much you can use. Right now I'm using a different one but I do plan on giving it a shot again in the future. It's just so hard for me to judge how much to use and I always end up making my hair sticky with it, especially if I don't use a serum afterwards. It's powerful stuff!

littlestarface
May 18th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Some people just have perfect looking hair :( I see a few girls whos hair looks absolutely perfect and i'm like, why not me too?

yahirwaO.o
May 18th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Some people just have perfect looking hair :( I see a few girls whos hair looks absolutely perfect and i'm like, why not me too?

I always assume this!!! and it kinda saddens me from time to time. :( I envy people with naturally very straight smooth hair frizz free or people with soft gentle natural waves. I know they dont use heat I've seen them wash and air dry it and looks picture perfect without anything..... Me on the other hand, I have to tame frizz with products, iron it to the heavens, put it up or just embrace the wild look!!! The last option and wrapping it to make it straighter is what I tend to go for, but honestly I will flat iron it everyday if damage wasn't a problem.

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Nope, no staining for me! But it's worth noting that I do mostly use sulfate shampoos and even though I don't wash all of my hair with them often, it still runs through the lengths, so maybe that helps prevent staining. However, my hair is so light and my ends are so porous that I'd expect to get staining either way if I was to get any.

I do think it's a good product, but it's very unforgiving in terms of how much you can use. Right now I'm using a different one but I do plan on giving it a shot again in the future. It's just so hard for me to judge how much to use and I always end up making my hair sticky with it, especially if I don't use a serum afterwards. It's powerful stuff!

For sure it is. I use 1 to 2 tiny dollops (tiny coin sizes, one big coin or 2 tiny cent coins) for classic length, and only ear down, more than ear down in fact (about half the hair).

GrowingGlory
June 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Since I have been using Garnier Fructis Sleek&Shine Fortifying Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave-in Conditioner my hair has not been scraggly at all.

Kalamazoo
June 13th, 2019, 01:16 PM

I read (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265&page=260 See JennGalt's comment.) that "black" castor oil darkens the hair, because it contains roasted castor seeds; but regular castor oil does not.

ETA:
I have only tried one black castor oil product, & it contains no other ingredients. Perhaps if it were in a product, the other ingredients might dilute it to where no darkening would be noticeable. Or perhaps it's something that has to be used multiple times before the darkening effect builds up.

desisparkles
June 13th, 2019, 04:13 PM
I also have very fine hair and it can look so tangly with just the slightest breese let me tell ya.

I also feel this way. I try to wear my hair down, leave the house feeling like I am looking fly then maybe 20 minutes later I catch a glimpse in a reflection and up it goes again. I always feel scraggly but the funny thing is, when I take a pic - I take lots of hair pics these days - it's to track my growth, different products, different curly girl methods, etc. - I almost always love the way the pics look. It makes me wonder, why do pics and the mirror translate so differently to me? I dunno how but they certainly do.