PDA

View Full Version : Outfits/Colors that compliment your hair

Milkchocolate
May 15th, 2019, 10:38 AM
What are your favorite outfits that really compliment or make your long hair/hair color stand out?

Style: Personally, I love elegant looking blouses or dresses that have lace or frills. It adds a regal or “fantasy” like appearance that I adore. I love the juxtaposition of texture, amid my long hair when I go for a straighter look. It’s so complimentary.

Favorite colors: Red seems to really amplify the darkness of my hair..almost making it seem raven-like. I love the red and black color combo ❤️

Patterns: Exotic floral prints are excellent with my dark hair type

Cut: I prefer above-the-knee dresses, because I love the juxtaposition of “long and short”. I love things that contrast eachother.

blackgothicdoll
May 15th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Black.

It compliments everything ;)

JennGalt
May 15th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Black.

Same. It works for everything except hair pix (for me, anyway, lol).

neko_kawaii
May 15th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I really like my hair color, especially the faded ends against dark denim or indigo.

Milkchocolate
May 15th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Black.

O heck yeah ❤️❤️ Black on black is gorgeous

BinaBaby
May 15th, 2019, 11:55 AM
I like royal blue for when I have blonde hair :)

Knightly
May 15th, 2019, 12:02 PM
I think natural/neutral colors really compliment brown hair, or at least my shade of brown. Colors like olive, oatmeal, off white, black, nude, white, light yellow, etc

LadyCelestina
May 15th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Black.

:beerchug:

___

Other than black I really like adding some browns or warmer tones as accessories. I'm a neutral-leaning cool person, so I always try to strike a balance of warmer/cooler colours in my outfits.

If I wear an outfit that's very cool toned (black, white, bright red...), I put my hair to expose the darker underlayer.

LadyArwen
May 15th, 2019, 12:29 PM
In the past I have gone for pastels and grey...still love those colors but they made me look almost sick? These days I do jewel tones like teal, peacock blue, navy, fuschia, aqua, deep purple...these colors make my pale skin light up and give me a rosy glow and they make my hair look more vibrant. For anyone struggling with colors to wear...jewel tones really really work for many skin and hair types. Anyone else do well with those colors?

I wear long flowy skirts in floral patterns that I can "frolic" in. It is very easy and comfortable to have a jewel tone top and colorful skirt! And my long hair flowing in soft waves...conservative yet free spirited at the same time!

lapushka
May 15th, 2019, 12:43 PM
Jeans with a shirt (colorful at times) and a gray hoodie. I'm quite tall, so the jeans take up most of the "space".

My favorite color is gray, though. Ever since I was a child. Can wear it all the time.

MusicalSpoons
May 15th, 2019, 01:29 PM
LadyArwen I enjoy jewel tones too :grin:

To be honest, blue, turquoise, purple, those kinds of colours have answers been my favourites and I think they go well with my hair. I've also recently found a liking for red. Yellow and anything too yellowy-green or yellowy-orange I tend to avoid, and always have even as a child (except for one World Book Day and I had go dressed as an alien :laugh:). I guess it's kind of instinctive :shrug:

As for outfits, it depends on the occasion but usually practicality wins out - including layering ability, because I feel the cold pathetically easily. For instance, ruffles and frills unfortunately don't go well under zip-up cardigans!

Ylva
May 15th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Black, turquoise, most blues actually. I once took a photo where I was wearing my boyfriend's light blue t-shirt and thought to myself that my hair and skin looked mighty good in that photo. Here (https://www.instagram.com/p/BhrREWChMHL/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet) it is, actually.

In terms of style, my hair goes together well with many types of earlier medieval clothes (https://www.instagram.com/p/BlNjXHYBHe_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet) and fantasy-inspired attires.

lapushka
May 15th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Jeans with a shirt (colorful at times) and a gray hoodie. I'm quite tall, so the jeans take up most of the "space".

My favorite color is gray, though. Ever since I was a child. Can wear it all the time.

Yeah. :rolleyes: No wonder I have a gray shirt in my signature. LOL!

TreesOfEternity
May 15th, 2019, 03:41 PM
I like the witchy/country/folk goth style, the combination of traditional and contemporary elements fit my hair pretty well.

My hair is very dark brown, my skin super pale with yellow undertone and colors that fit me (and my style) are black, dark grey, burgundy and army/forest green.

blackgothicdoll
May 15th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Yeah. :rolleyes: No wonder I have a gray shirt in my signature. LOL!

LOL I read that post, looked at your signature and though "well, that makes sense!" haha.

Wusel
May 15th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Red and white :)

Stardreamer
May 15th, 2019, 04:01 PM
this post was edited

Dark40
May 15th, 2019, 05:06 PM
Red is my favorite color in clothes. Or, I like all sorts of colors with jeans and T-shirt. Or, a red dress that is cut to the knees.

AmaryllisRed
May 15th, 2019, 06:39 PM
I tend to wear a lot of black/blue/purple. I do think my hair looks nice against a black or purple shirt.
As for outfits... having long hair that I usually wear in buns, I always think if I wear a skirt, it gives people an inaccurate impression of me. Too bad because I'm trying to wear skirts more. :shrug:

lithostoic
May 15th, 2019, 06:55 PM
My hair looks better on dark backgrounds because the ends tend to disappear otherwise. It also looks nice with blue toned red or blue-green. My hair is neutral toned. Cool ash but with reddish undertones that read warm.

Saunda
May 15th, 2019, 07:19 PM
I like jewel tones as well! I find that light and dark colours really wash me out and make me look like I'm dead. Yellow and coral are a no go for me, they make me look jaundiced shudder:shudder:

Haven
May 15th, 2019, 08:16 PM
My hair looks great against black, it brings out the reddish and golden hues in the brown... However, black doesn't complement my pale yellow-toned skin at all :(

GrowlingCupcake
May 15th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Blues, and burgundies suit my skin tone, and blue is nice with my red-dyed hair. I mostly wear green, blue, burgundy/wine, black, dark grey, and all the purple. Jewel tones, bright/deep or dark; I do not like light, white, red, yellow, orange or pastel. My hair probably looks fairly nice against the green or grey, I would imagine. Since it is usually up, though, hair to tell xD I like lace, too, but also clean/simple/plain. Depends on what it is. Most of my dresses/skirts are floral/patterned, and colourful while my tops are plain, single coloured. I prefer my dresses, skirts, and sleeves long; knee or longer, and elbow or below, respectively, with longer being better. I also do not wear pants other than jeans. I like flowy or voluminous skirts/dresses. Cold-weather outfits are usually jeans + sweater + leggings under jeans. Warm weather outfits are usually dress/skirt + top with or without a jacket/cardigan or tights/leggings depending on length. My favourite is a set of floral print shirts (I have them in multiple colours but I usually wear the pink or the black) over a black dress.

Black is weird on me, though. My skin is an... odd tone. It's grey/ashy, and sort of in between. I am not pale-pale because of my inherent skin tone but I am very pale when compared to people who have a similar skin colour to me; my sister, and partner say I am pale like a vampire. So black ends up being weird like it is both too harsh, and hot harsh enough? This gets a lot worse when my hair is my natural black. I'm neither a pretty brownish shade nor an actual pale shade. It's why my go-to eyeliner is a dark grey, and not black.

enting
May 15th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I like red in my hair, even though I don't generally love red for clothing. White looks pretty good in my hair also. If I'm wearing my hair down, I like it against brown, but generally medium to cooler browns. I don't like to wear it down with any color that makes it look more mousy - black sometimes does that.

Stray_mind
May 15th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Well, i am a soft, muted summer so everything in that color spectrum fits.

But my favorite colors are Teal, Pale and cool pink, burgundy red, dark blue and dark green, light grey, also white looks really good with my hair color.

Aerya
May 15th, 2019, 11:55 PM
I love rich, saturated colours, both jewel tones and warmer shades. Red is an all time favorite, but I think greens and blues might suit my hair colour better. I'm not too sure as it's a long time since I've had only my natural colour, but I think the more subtle golden undertones in my hair are complimented well by blue and green. I have green eyes that really pop whenever I wear those colours and especially forest green does wonders for my skin. I'm not that fond of purple colours but that might be because my mum always put me in purple as a kid, lol, I've been told it suits me well the times I've worn it.

For style, I love the aesthetic of European folk dresses, and I love how embroidery and rich colours look with braided hair.

Begemot
May 26th, 2019, 01:43 PM
For style, I love the aesthetic of European folk dresses, and I love how embroidery and rich colours look with braided hair.

Me too. The folk look with embroidered clothing and long hair is magical to me :)

I always first think about the colors I wear complimenting my skin, then eye color and then hair color. I know muted greens look really good on me, light olive green is probably my best color. Too bad I don't have any green in my wardrobe at the moment. I like to wear blue and white.
I actually can't think of a time that I would have thought about complimenting my hair length. I know I don't like to wear a scarf or anything with a big hood or a collar when I do wear my hair down. It kind of annoys me when my hair isn't flowing freely and rubs against something like that.

lithostoic
May 26th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Well, i am a soft, muted summer so everything in that color spectrum fits.

But my favorite colors are Teal, Pale and cool pink, burgundy red, dark blue and dark green, light grey, also white looks really good with my hair color.

That's funny, when you first posted pics of your natural regrowth in the sunlight I remember thinking you were a great example of soft summer coloring! I was really into color theory for a while but backed out because I don't fit any of the archetypes.

RubberDucky
May 27th, 2019, 12:56 AM
Cooler shades of blue and pink seem to work the best. Also, I have this light grey hoodie with the collar, zipper and lining of the hood done in the perfect shade of neon orange - somehow it makes me look like I've just come back from a really relaxing vacation.

I try to avoid anything in the brown/woodsy range (beige, camel, olive, khaki, mossy etc.), these colors just don't look good on me.

MissBeansy
May 27th, 2019, 04:33 AM
When I had longer hair it would go with everything! Now I feel quite limited.. but I enjoy very feminine outfits and cute skirts with the shorter hair. I loveee the look of long hair and a summer maxi dress, can't wait until I'm there :inlove:

Haziel
June 7th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Red
Blue
Warm gray
Yellow
Brown
Green
Tan
White
Black
Light purple
and especially Orange

Haziel
June 7th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Red
Yellow
Tan
Green
Brown
Light Purple
White
Black
Warm Gray
Blue
and especially Orange

Haziel
June 7th, 2019, 09:40 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post, my internet is so slow it looked like the page refreshed and dumped it.

Ps if a moderator wants to delete the duplicate that would be nice, I don't know how. Thanks

cjk
June 7th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Color wheel. My hair is dark blond, which is basically yellow/brown.

Opposite or adjacent colors are my first choice. Orange green, and purple, and some blues.

MidnightMoon
June 8th, 2019, 01:33 AM
It's more a matter of skin rather than hair, but navy blue looks good, off white, burgundy, forest green... but it also depends on the style of the clothes and material. I have a curvy figure but "delicate", very fine hair, roundish soft face, thin fingers, and a pear shape which makes the upper part of my body look smaller (my arms, you can see my collarbones, etc.), so anything big, boxy, thick or too plain looks bad on me. I need lace, see through materials that hug by body in the the right parts, flowy stuff, A-line dresses and skirts. Embroidery, sparkly things, lots of details... they look good. Oversized stuff is definitely not good because I look heavy and shapeless. Pastels look bad with my skin.
Jeans are horrible and I would ban them from this world if I could.
I think the safest bet of all is dark navy blue, or what appears to be midnight blue according to google.
I actually own a lovely velvet dress with sparkles which everybody compliments whenever I wear it and say it looks like the sky.

Zesty
June 8th, 2019, 09:03 AM
When I wear my hair down, I want to wear stuff that's fitted on my butt so that the public can accurately judge how long it is. :lol:

I almost never think about fashion when it comes to clothes. I'm indifferent to what's "flattering" and just wear what I like or what's comfortable. Like I'm pear-shaped, so I'm supposed to highlight my waist and such, but I like fitted jeans and slouchy sweaters. :shrug: And for colors... I don't have the first clue as to what suits me.

I like purple hair toys and I think white ones don't look good at all in my hair color.

Ligeia Noire
June 8th, 2019, 10:43 AM
I go by what colours I like. So, black and red. Lots of it. That's pretty much the main combination on my wardrobe pallet colour. Most are skirts and dresses. Some blouses, some corsets. I like high waisted everything and form fitting or, more specifically, fitted at the waist that bloom from the waist down. Fifties and sixties kind of attire will compliment best, as I have an hourglass shape. Therefore, wearing my hair up and a nice fitted dress is my everyday look. That's probably what I will go for today, as I have a farewell party to my last job with my ex bosses and coworkers. Red dress and nice updo, seems to go well with my skin complexion and brown hair. Excited to wear this dress outside the house. As I've only worn it once for a video.