PDA

View Full Version : To Trim or Not to Trim

LadyArwen
May 15th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Hey there I wanted to start a post (that anyone can contribute to if they are stuck in the same dilemma) and ask for feedback if they should trim or not, especially with the frequency of trims, how to get rid of damage, etc...

you can tell a short hair story and then ask for feedback if you should trim or not, okay sounds good!

I started growing my hair in 2011 out of traveling out of state for graduate school...but I still used heat and was not a gentle brusher. From 2013 until 2016 I let it grow a lot but was curling it weekly...and cut it back to a clean waist length.

In 2016 I started intentionally growing it and using better conditioners, washing it less, and being more gentle with brushing...in my head I was going to grow long, thick, wavy hair that would float in the wind. I've got rid of all heat (except for wedding hair) I have a lot of length but not the thickness I had anticipated.

Since 2016 I would get two inches off every six months, and in 2018 I removed three inches and have not cut since. My fantasy of long hair is kind of true but not...I am wondering if I need to cut off more to get rid of damage to add thickness, if my hair is thinning due to age, or if genetically I just have finer hair. You can look at my profile or at my avatar. My fear is having long stringy hair...which I do not think looks good. My hope was to have a thick classic length hemline...but...I don't know if that will work?

Should I trim or just keep it as it is? Also feel free to share your own stories and dilemmas on whether to trim or not.
Thanks!

Shorty89
May 15th, 2019, 09:26 AM
I think your hair looks very pretty in your avatar photo! But, I understand about the damage. My hair is fine as well and I have parts that get damaged easily. Do you S&D? That might help. I'd trim slightly each month (maybe 1/2 your growth) and I think you'll be fine. :)

LadyArwen
May 15th, 2019, 09:33 AM
thank you I love yours too. I put it in a braid to get those fun waves. how long have you been growing yours for?

akurah
May 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me and I don't think you need one, but it might make you feel better anyway if you're worried about old damage. I'd give it a few weeks before deciding. You could also trim off a smaller amount instead of what you might usually

harpgal
May 15th, 2019, 10:48 AM
This is what I have done for many, many years....trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the ends every 3 months. That will allow the slow growers to catch up and keep the fast growers under control. There are instances where the thickness will move down, so give it a try and see what happens. Not trimming at all will encourage tapering quicker.

Also, be careful and do not whip off the ends quickly. Just move the brush/comb down your length at the same speed. Fine hair is beautiful but takes a little extra care. Hopefully, this helps you. :)

Begemot
May 15th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Your hair looks lovely to me :) You could microtrim if you feel like thickening up your ends. I trim when I want blunter hemline or when my ends feel more tangle prone than usual.

Shorty89
May 15th, 2019, 09:22 PM
thank you I love yours too. I put it in a braid to get those fun waves. how long have you been growing yours for?

Thanks! I started growing in 2007. But, I went through some time where I wasn't actively growing or taking care of my hair. I'm working on growing out damage and eventually getting back to classic.

Ilyem
May 16th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I personally think your hair looks gorgeous. The taper is very natural and you probably shouldn't set goals of thick ends as its a bit unrealistic with fine hair (I've given up on that dream pretty early on.) Maybe try microtrimming like others have suggested or just get to your goal length and then cut off a bit more.

lapushka
May 16th, 2019, 03:39 PM
If the damage is gone from your hair, then why trim? I wouldn't!

If you are terribly unsure there is the 2-week rule thread. But I wouldn't even consider a trim, if I were you. :)

But it's up to you, of course.

A testament to how thickness can travel down over time is gossamer here on the LHC who now has beyond floor length hair. I would check her out in the beyond floor length thread. Or the knee & beyond thread!

akuamoonmaui
May 17th, 2019, 01:10 AM
This is what I have done for many, many years....trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the ends every 3 months. That will allow the slow growers to catch up and keep the fast growers under control. There are instances where the thickness will move down, so give it a try and see what happens. Not trimming at all will encourage tapering quicker.

What she said.:agree: I have also only cut just a bit about 3 or 4 times a year (dust bunny).

Taliesin
May 27th, 2019, 07:13 PM
Should I trim or just keep it as it is? Also feel free to share your own stories and dilemmas on whether to trim or not.
Thanks!
LadyArwen, I had to comment on all the similarities I see in this post. We have the same hair type, current length, goal length, and thoughts/worries about thickness! hahaha

I just recently came to a decision myself after seriously considering a 2-3 inch trim over the last month: I'm sticking to 1/4 - 1/2" trims every 2-3 months as needed.
I REALLY want to reach classic length and I'm so close I've gotta stay the course. Looking at my length I know that if I cut back to about bcl I'd have the much coveted straight, thick hem, but I can always do that down the road if it comes to it.

My vote goes for "keep it as it is"!

CosmoCat
May 28th, 2019, 04:40 PM
It’s my sides that need trimmed...brittle and broken. The back stays in better condition. So, I sometimes struggle with ‘to cut or not’.

LadyArwen
June 2nd, 2019, 07:09 PM
Ok ladies...so my little sister is getting married at the end of the month, and my mom asked me to get a trim before the wedding. I got off two inches and thought I would miss it, but I do not. Fresh clean ends are nice! I read somewhere that if you struggle with tangles it could be from split ends...and brushing is easier now. My hope is to get to classic by Christmas....and part of me really really wants to try knee length. We shall see!

GrowingGlory
June 15th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Good luck to you! Your hair looks beautiful.