PDA

View Full Version : Against hair analysis!

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Now this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HpNMA_dLpI

She goes against the grain in the curly world on plenty of issues. It's no wonder she gets that much backlash.

What do you think?

Lady Stardust
May 11th, 2019, 08:17 AM
She doesn’t actually say anything of substance. She wants to put across the message that hair analysis is a scam and that people with questionable qualifications are giving results that are “not right”.

I might have some time for her if she said what sort of qualifications are questionable, examples showing why the results aren’t right, what her credentials are to enable her to comment, but she doesn’t substantiate anything at all.

(I hate saying “she” all the time but I don’t know her name!)

The overall feeling is that she suddenly had a half thought out feeling about something she wanted to say, and stood in the nearest car park to broadcast her views to the world.

I have no idea whether hair analysis is good or bad. I’m just irritated by the need to broadcast incomplete thoughts.

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 08:57 AM
She came on YT quite fierce, and calls herself "the curl ninja". You'd have to watch a few of her videos to really get why she goes against the grain so much. She is for expensive salon brands (well, she's a stylist, she has something to gain from it).

But I agree! ^^ So little to go on!

TatsuOni
May 11th, 2019, 09:10 AM
I have to agree with Lady Stardust! She just shares her opinion but nothing at all to back it.

LadyCelestina
May 11th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I just skipped through it, but I guess it's kinda legit. Most of the hair analysis results I've seen just tell you that you're low porosity at the roots and high porosity at the ends, and whether your hair is coarse or fine. Things you can figure for yourself.

Begemot
May 11th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I have no idea how the curly world in general feels about hair analysis and I'm not very familiar with this vlogger but my understanding is that they're pretty controversial and there's lots of frauds out there :hmm: I wouldn't trust them at least when hair analysis is used in alternative medicine as a method to diagnose something.

The-Young-Maid
May 11th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Wait has her channel name been "Curly Hair Myths Exposed with The Curl Ninja" this whole time?? I thought it was just The Curl Ninja. That's just... cringe lol

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Wait has her channel name been "Curly Hair Myths Exposed with The Curl Ninja" this whole time?? I thought it was just The Curl Ninja. That's just... cringe lol

I thought it was just the curl ninja as well. I think that just might be the full title of one of her videos, that's all. ;)

blackgothicdoll
May 11th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Yeah the Curly Hair Myths.... is her full YT name.

I honestly think hair analysis is a waste of money. They charge somewhere around $100 to tell you things about hair that you could probably discover with enough research, trial and error. For the impatient, I suppose it's beneficial, but I think it's a little over the top for them to look at a strand of hair under a microscope. That's just my opinion, I've never had it done though I've read on another forum where people got results from it. They never checked in later to see if these results changed their hair care over a long period of time.

Ylva
May 11th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Yeah the Curly Hair Myths.... is her full YT name.

I honestly think hair analysis is a waste of money. They charge somewhere around $100 to tell you things about hair that you could probably discover with enough research, trial and error. For the impatient, I suppose it's beneficial, but I think it's a little over the top for them to look at a strand of hair under a microscope. That's just my opinion, I've never had it done though I've read on another forum where people got results from it. They never checked in later to see if these results changed their hair care over a long period of time.

I agree, however, in the video she went ahead and called them scammers or something along those lines - it was a few hours ago that I saw the video so I don't remember exactly. I mean, there's a service that some people are obviously willing to pay for, even though it's not as advanced as some might hope for. Nothing about it is a "scam", though, IMO, even though I also think it's a waste of money.

blackgothicdoll
May 11th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I agree, however, in the video she went ahead and called them scammers or something along those lines - it was a few hours ago that I saw the video so I don't remember exactly. I mean, there's a service that some people are obviously willing to pay for, even though it's not as advanced as some might hope for. Nothing about it is a "scam", though, IMO, even though I also think it's a waste of money.

I've watched a couple videos of her 'styling' curly hair and I'm pretty sure she's the scammer if any of those women paid her.

lapushka
May 11th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Yeah... I have rarely come across a YT channel or video on curly hair that I don't like, but I don't like her channel that much to be quite frank. I rather trust the 100s, and perhaps 1000s, 10,000s of women out there that are natural and do their own hair and put it online. Much more knowledge and how to do things the right way than featured by her. But that's how I feel. :flower:

blackgothicdoll
May 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Yeah... I have rarely come across a YT channel or video on curly hair that I don't like, but I don't like her channel that much to be quite frank. I rather trust the 100s, and perhaps 1000s, 10,000s of women out there that are natural and do their own hair and put it online. Much more knowledge and how to do things the right way than featured by her. But that's how I feel. :flower:

I think it's really just that. She knows how to do her hair. But when I see her style hair of a tighter texture or a looser texture, while she'll talk as if she knows exactly what's happening, the results are not nearly as great as results I've seen of women doing their own hair. And that's understandable because most people have a hard time with hair that's an entirely different texture than theirs, or even slightly different - but her posturing as if she's an expert on all curls is just not accurate or even believable.

desisparkles
May 11th, 2019, 12:08 PM
Well I'm a big fan of hers - I haven't seen the vid yet but I can say, she says she can only recommend DevaCurl bc that's the only brand she has used since she went natural and it makes sense she'd start with a pro brand since she was a pro at the time of transition. She has had great results with the brand so I understand why she would have no need to try another. She probably gets it at about the same price as we would pay for drugstore brands so it makes sense she'd go for higher quality ingredients for the same price. That's why she can't recommend other brands, she hasn't had experience with them.

She does have some negative things to say about some Deva products which didn't work for her, she only endorses the ones that she's had success with and she doesn't provide affiliate links or get sponsored by them so not sure how she can benefit from that unless you buy it directly at the salon she's at.

My hair has much improved since I've taken some of her advices and I form my own conclusions at the end of the day so I feel like I'm defending her here (well bc I kind of am, huh) but I feel she's genuine and only trying to help others. In this case, it sounds like she's trying to get people to save money instead of possibly get scammed. I only get good vibes from her. But... I get how she isn't right for everybody, too.

I agree with part of what Blackgothicdoll just said about how she knows her texture best - when I used to go for pro haircuts I would only pick someone with hair similar to mine in the chance they could relate to what I was wanting and not wanting from a haircut bc I was hoping they would understand from personal experience.

AutobotsAttack
May 12th, 2019, 12:58 AM
Her name is Stephanie.

I’ve been subscribed to her since I saw her first video in my recommendations on YouTube. I fail to see how she’s going against the grain. She does a good job explaining how diverse everyone’s hair is, and does a good job of explaining how things that work for her and what she’s done or has been doing, may not work for her viewers, or others, or even her clients. Everything she talks about, so do a bunch of other women with hair like hers, and well on up into the kinky 4’s.

I remember in one of her videos she mentions certain, finer textures, that are often completely devoid of a medulla. And often times it’s hair in the 3’s and 4’s. That’s straight up grade A, textbook info, backed by research. How exactly is she going against the grain? This is info that a lot of women straight up have no idea about. She even has a video of how low porosity Afro Textured hair behaves when wet. She observing, she’s learning, and she’s sharing her findings with her viewers. Most stylists don’t even care to do that. At least she’s equipping herself with the tools to better understand her clients hair texture.

Of course she knows her texture best. She ought to. It’s her hair. But she also knows how to handle hair way more curlier, and kinkier than her own. And probably other textures too. Is she the absolute best? Course not. But she’s put in time and effort to get an understanding. At least by her crediting products she herself has used, others can see if it works for them or not, and at least what to expect or not to expect.

There’s plenty of natural haired ladies on YouTube, that have had the same length for years, and yet post almost weekly, some new technique they’re trying in order to gain length. Not everyone who’s doing their hair, may be realizing their hair isn’t retaining its length due to their hair care practices. If she’s helping women with their hair, and they are seeing results, then Cudos to her.

Of course she may have an opinion that not everyone agrees with, heck I even don’t agree with some things she says, but that doesn’t discredit her, and whatever work she’s done to get to where she is. She makes it obvious that she’s not some “holier than thou”, worldwide expert, who knows better than everyone else. She’s even voiced that in videos.

On the scamming video, my whole opinion is that at least she cares to try and warn someone. Sure it may not be us, since most of us care for and do our own hair, and are knowledgeable, to some degree, about basic hair care, but what about other women who aren’t well versed with knowing how to care for their own hair? Instagram is notorious for scamming. All it takes, is for someone to stumble across an ad that’s just the perfect amount of persuasive, and they can easily fond themselved conned out of anywhere from 100$-1000$. If she’s helping someone avoid that very real possibility, she’s done a good job already. Yeah, it would’ve been helpful with a bit more detail, or if she mentioned which types of hair analysis, should raise a red flag on their credibility, but at least she said something.

There’s way too many Youtubers with well over 10x the views and subscribers that have no absolute idea what they’re doing, concerning haircare. At least she’s trying to help others find a good way of caring for their own hair.

lapushka
May 12th, 2019, 03:49 AM
AutobotsAttack, I just think given the vast "mass" of naturals out there with their routines and ways of doing their hair, compared to her "ideas", that she knows not that much about curly hair, that's all.

Panthera
May 12th, 2019, 04:39 AM
There she goes again. Criticizing about things without any real proof, only proof she gives is the fact that she is a hairdresser. She claims to be a professional and apparently knows better than scientists. Calling people and companies scammers like that... not the wisest idea. :rolleyes:

mackensey
May 20th, 2019, 02:30 AM
I don't know why she felt the need to make a youtube video about it.. She could've just posted like a small ig story about it. I wish she'd proof in her youtube video.

lapushka
May 20th, 2019, 04:09 AM
I don't know why she felt the need to make a youtube video about it.. She could've just posted like a small ig story about it. I wish she'd proof in her youtube video.

Yes, I would have loved to see something more "substantial" on it, at least.