PDA

View Full Version : Do you think wearing hair-sticks everyday will damage my hair?

kendyl
May 10th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Are hair sticks less damaging than hair ties, and if so would you say it's safe for me to wear my hair with two hair sticks in a low bun everyday?

Ylva
May 10th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Yes, they are much safer than hair ties, and no, I don't think your hair is going to get any significant damage from that - at least the damage will be much lesser than if you wore your hair loose or used ties. :)

kendyl
May 10th, 2019, 02:53 PM
I see! Thank you for the response. :D

hayheadsbird
May 10th, 2019, 02:54 PM
D say as long as sticks are smooth, you'll be fine. There is much less pressure and friction caused by a stick than a tie.

milosmomma
May 10th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Sticks and forks are probably the LEAST damaging way to secure hair that I've come across so far. I agree they must be smooth. I have had some snags and snaps if it's a rough wood or something similar, but even so, much less damaging than anything else I have found.

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 03:36 PM
I have worn my hair up when I'm up in a bun with a 2-prong (aluminum) fork since... years. No damage whatsoever. It is awesome wearing sticks or forks!

AutobotsAttack
May 11th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Mostly yeah. Depends on your hair type. My hair stays up in a bun without any type of assistance from hair accessories, so for me personally, I typically do my buns with nothing holding them.

Certain sticks will cause damage if they’re too thick, and certain forks will cause damage if there are too many prongs. For me personally. So again, depends on hair type.

rhosyn_du
May 11th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Last time I grew my hair out, wore my hair bunned with sticks, forks, or a Ficcare for six straight years except for the occasional wedding, and I never noticed any damage from it.

cjk
May 12th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Everything damages your hair to some extent.

Smooth hair sticks and forks are probably the least damaging ways to secure your hair.

You asked this for a reason. Are you noticing damage?

LadyCelestina
May 12th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Very low buns (nape level) might get some damage from rubbing against your neck and collars or scarves, so if, as cjk noted, you're seeing damage, that could be it.

Personally, I like those telephone cord elastics, especially those which are made of thinner "wire" and are more pliable. Never had any issues with them, as they don't pinch the hair, more like wrap around it.

Some hairsticks and forks might cause snapping when you insert them, it's a hit or miss really. Also, sometimes the issue is how you insert them - ideally there should be no tension going on anywhere in your hair (ie. feeling that some strands are stretched), and def not at the scalp. Some people do sectioned buns to avoid this.

lapushka
May 12th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Mostly yeah. Depends on your hair type. My hair stays up in a bun without any type of assistance from hair accessories, so for me personally, I typically do my buns with nothing holding them.

Certain sticks will cause damage if they’re too thick, and certain forks will cause damage if there are too many prongs. For me personally. So again, depends on hair type.

I have been wearing forks, even sticks some days, year in year out, and I have yet to get damage from them.

How can you get damage from a fork or a stick? And how do you know if you don't use them?

LadyCelestina
May 12th, 2019, 08:55 AM
I have been wearing forks, even sticks some days, year in year out, and I have yet to get damage from them.

How can you get damage from a fork or a stick? And how do you know if you don't use them?

Well, they have presumably used them at some point in their lives :)

You can get damage when you're inserting or taking it out (snapping), or from the weight/tension of the bun putting pressure on certain parts of the hair (usually scalp hair). It can of course be remedied by choosing smooth tools and making sure your buns are balanced.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM
They should be fine in your hair. Just make sure your buns aren't too tight.