PDA

View Full Version : Hemline: Will it grow into a V or U naturally?

barnet_fair
May 10th, 2019, 05:16 AM
I had layers put in when I was still a "mediumhair" (just above SL), which meant that at WL my ends looked thinner than I'd like, and were beginning to get too damaged for S&D. So I finally overcame my reluctance and my sister kindly helped me with a trim last weekend!

She cut straight across, with the longest piece probably about 2.5". My hemline was V-ish before, and now it's very blunt. It certainly looks thick and healthy now, but I find myself tempted to shape it a bit more. (To be honest, I feel naked at BSL and miss my length, but I think it will now be healthier in the long run.)

So my question is: Will it grow from a blunt hemline into a V or U naturally? I would love to hear people's experiences in exploring their "natural hemline" after a blunt cut, whether positive or negative!

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 06:06 AM
So my question is: Will it grow from a blunt hemline into a V or U naturally? I would love to hear people's experiences in exploring their "natural hemline" after a blunt cut, whether positive or negative!

If it's BSL now & blunt cut, it is going to take at least to waist/hip to taper any, if at all. My blunt cuts stayed blunt however, all the way from shoulder to hip. So you can never tell.

You could try Feye's self-trimming method to shape it the way you want:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Lady Stardust
May 10th, 2019, 06:37 AM
I think it’s different for everyone, but for me, my hair grows faster at the back, so it would shape itself into a U.

LadyAdelina
May 11th, 2019, 12:08 AM
I’ve been growing my hair without any trims from a blunt cut at shoulder. It’s now at APL, and is already starting to take a U shape, but I’m enjoying it.

Hexen
May 11th, 2019, 12:24 AM
A 'V', or a 'U'?

Really?

Y'all are lucky!

Welp, to put it bluntly, whatever the weirdest most elaborate symbol in Kanji is....thats what my hemline always becomes.

RottenMango
May 11th, 2019, 01:31 AM
I trim my hair into a V because I usually take off more from the front and sides than the back since I have more shrinkage in the back. I think the only way to change your hemline is by trimming it the way you want it to look as it grows out.

LadyCelestina
May 11th, 2019, 01:34 AM
Not for me. A blunt hemline just grows out blunt, then starts to taper at the ends, but not into a V or U shape.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 11th, 2019, 02:57 AM
It doesn't for me - though I wish it would.

TreesOfEternity
May 11th, 2019, 04:19 AM
In my case it’s still a blunt cut for the most part, but the ends become see through so it’s not as good looking as a U or V shape haha.

Alissalocks
May 14th, 2019, 02:58 PM
I must be the exception, and last year's photos prove it. I cut 3" to achieve blunt last May, and by August it had shaped itself into a U that's now more V-ish.

Which I hate. Sigh. I long for blunt but must rectify myself to forever fairy tale. Maybe it's a texture related (?) result and my super flat hair isn't going to blunt? :shrug:

trolleypup
May 15th, 2019, 06:48 PM
In the long run (terminal), most hair grows into a V shape, although (with straight hair) careful care and preening can keep a semblance of bluntness for a long time.

Alissalocks
May 15th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Thanks for confirming this trolleypup, I thought that I had learned the same here in threads past. I read the title and thought, "With terminal, and without trims, hair naturally shapes into a U or V" but since others weren't reporting those results, I was doubting myself. :laugh: Mine sure dropped its bluntness fast. :(

trolleypup
May 17th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Thanks for confirming this trolleypup, I thought that I had learned the same here in threads past. I read the title and thought, "With terminal, and without trims, hair naturally shapes into a U or V" but since others weren't reporting those results, I was doubting myself. :laugh: Mine sure dropped its bluntness fast. :(
The last time I did small trims on my near terminal hair I went from a V to a V with the point cut off...and the V shape grew back at my growth rate, that is, the ends at the cut line got 1/2" longer each month and grew back into the exact same shape I had before the trim.

Todd
May 18th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Most of my trims are motivated by my desire to restore some bluntness to my ends; they get see-through otherwise.

spidermom
May 18th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I've seen all kinds of shapes on people who don't trim, including U and V, but also severe slants where one side obviously grows faster and longer than the other, also W shapes. Hair growth pattern is an individual thing.

AmaryllisRed
May 18th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Yeah mine is a W.
Or more accurately WWWWWW

barnet_fair
August 18th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Reporting back more than a year later to say: brushing hip and without further substantial trims, it has grown into the appearance of a V.

Like many people (I think), my hair has two sections, the "bulk", which has full thickness to about BSL and tapers in a V down to HL, and the ends, which are thinner and form a gentle U-shaped hemline at about HL. To me the overall effect reads as "V with extra bits", although I suppose the hemline is technically a U. I did a couple of small U-shaped trims to encourage this but didn't touch the bulk of the hair.

I'm really happy with the effect and will continue trimming as little as possible, as I'm curious about how true fairytale ends would look on 1c hair.

(Friends-only) photo included for illustration.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42329&d=1597774450

AutobotsAttack
August 18th, 2020, 05:53 PM

It'll depend on a few factors:

*Where you manipulate your hair the most, or put the most tension
*Areas that are more susceptible to breakage than others
*Any possible thinning, or sensitive areas
*Growth rate in certain areas
*And breakage in general

And everyone gets breakage. It might not be a lot, or even to any noticeable degree, but every last individual on this planet gets breakage, once their hair reaches certain lengths. Of course the lengths will vary, but nonetheless, it happens.

barnet_fair
August 19th, 2020, 03:06 AM
Thanks, AutobotsAttack. My breakage comes in the form of white dots and <1cm pieces breaking off the ends. I think it happens evenly all the way around. However, ponytails are getting heavier and putting more tension on the hair at the front and temples - I wonder if this contributes to breakage at the sides...

spidermom
August 19th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I've seen hair take all kinds of shapes naturally, slanting sharply from one side to the other, more like a W, etc. All you can do is let it grow and see.

Dark40
August 19th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Not for me. Mine I've been grow mine out for years, and it would always grow out bluntly. I always like to trim it with a blunt trim on the ends.

AutobotsAttack
August 19th, 2020, 02:33 PM
Thanks, AutobotsAttack. My breakage comes in the form of white dots and <1cm pieces breaking off the ends. I think it happens evenly all the way around. However, ponytails are getting heavier and putting more tension on the hair at the front and temples - I wonder if this contributes to breakage at the sides...

I’d say it can contribute. But perhaps the tension can also cause stress towards the temples as well. It definitely happens to me.
There’s lots of variations you can with ponytails and buns to better evenly distribute the weight.

My breakage occurs usually on the left side and the crown area. So those are the areas I tend to baby the most.