PDA

View Full Version : Hemline: Will it grow into a V or U naturally?

barnet_fair
May 10th, 2019, 06:16 AM
I had layers put in when I was still a "mediumhair" (just above SL), which meant that at WL my ends looked thinner than I'd like, and were beginning to get too damaged for S&D. So I finally overcame my reluctance and my sister kindly helped me with a trim last weekend!

She cut straight across, with the longest piece probably about 2.5". My hemline was V-ish before, and now it's very blunt. It certainly looks thick and healthy now, but I find myself tempted to shape it a bit more. (To be honest, I feel naked at BSL and miss my length, but I think it will now be healthier in the long run.)

So my question is: Will it grow from a blunt hemline into a V or U naturally? I would love to hear people's experiences in exploring their "natural hemline" after a blunt cut, whether positive or negative!

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 07:06 AM
So my question is: Will it grow from a blunt hemline into a V or U naturally? I would love to hear people's experiences in exploring their "natural hemline" after a blunt cut, whether positive or negative!

If it's BSL now & blunt cut, it is going to take at least to waist/hip to taper any, if at all. My blunt cuts stayed blunt however, all the way from shoulder to hip. So you can never tell.

You could try Feye's self-trimming method to shape it the way you want:
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Lady Stardust
May 10th, 2019, 07:37 AM
I think it’s different for everyone, but for me, my hair grows faster at the back, so it would shape itself into a U.

LadyAdelina
May 11th, 2019, 01:08 AM
Iíve been growing my hair without any trims from a blunt cut at shoulder. Itís now at APL, and is already starting to take a U shape, but Iím enjoying it.

Hexen
May 11th, 2019, 01:24 AM
A 'V', or a 'U'?

Really?

Y'all are lucky!

Welp, to put it bluntly, whatever the weirdest most elaborate symbol in Kanji is....thats what my hemline always becomes.

RottenMango
May 11th, 2019, 02:31 AM
I trim my hair into a V because I usually take off more from the front and sides than the back since I have more shrinkage in the back. I think the only way to change your hemline is by trimming it the way you want it to look as it grows out.

LadyCelestina
May 11th, 2019, 02:34 AM
Not for me. A blunt hemline just grows out blunt, then starts to taper at the ends, but not into a V or U shape.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 11th, 2019, 03:57 AM
It doesn't for me - though I wish it would.

TreesOfEternity
May 11th, 2019, 05:19 AM
In my case it’s still a blunt cut for the most part, but the ends become see through so it’s not as good looking as a U or V shape haha.

Alissalocks
May 14th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I must be the exception, and last year's photos prove it. I cut 3" to achieve blunt last May, and by August it had shaped itself into a U that's now more V-ish.

Which I hate. Sigh. I long for blunt but must rectify myself to forever fairy tale. Maybe it's a texture related (?) result and my super flat hair isn't going to blunt? :shrug:

trolleypup
May 15th, 2019, 07:48 PM
In the long run (terminal), most hair grows into a V shape, although (with straight hair) careful care and preening can keep a semblance of bluntness for a long time.

Alissalocks
May 15th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Thanks for confirming this trolleypup, I thought that I had learned the same here in threads past. I read the title and thought, "With terminal, and without trims, hair naturally shapes into a U or V" but since others weren't reporting those results, I was doubting myself. :laugh: Mine sure dropped its bluntness fast. :(

trolleypup
May 17th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Thanks for confirming this trolleypup, I thought that I had learned the same here in threads past. I read the title and thought, "With terminal, and without trims, hair naturally shapes into a U or V" but since others weren't reporting those results, I was doubting myself. :laugh: Mine sure dropped its bluntness fast. :(
The last time I did small trims on my near terminal hair I went from a V to a V with the point cut off...and the V shape grew back at my growth rate, that is, the ends at the cut line got 1/2" longer each month and grew back into the exact same shape I had before the trim.

Todd
May 18th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Most of my trims are motivated by my desire to restore some bluntness to my ends; they get see-through otherwise.

spidermom
May 18th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I've seen all kinds of shapes on people who don't trim, including U and V, but also severe slants where one side obviously grows faster and longer than the other, also W shapes. Hair growth pattern is an individual thing.

AmaryllisRed
May 18th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Yeah mine is a W.
Or more accurately WWWWWW