PDA

View Full Version : I feel inspired for curly hair

Stardreamer
May 10th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Well... this feeling probably won't last. I've seen a few people on this forum stopping brushing their hair, is that right? It defines the curls and makes for better hair.
I just watched a video that showed curly hair gets so frizzy and big when brushed, even when long. I brush my curls everyday, but I know it will still try to go back into curls.

I'm thinking I'll try not brushing my hair tomorrow after washing. It's scary to me because my hair shrinks so much. But do you think it's worth it? For less frizz and healthier hair. ;) Will I ever learn to love curls, lol.

EDIT: I realise never brushing, combing, detangling, etc will lead to matted hair and dreadlocks. I think dreadlocks are cool. I was considering dreadlocks but I was worried never brushing my hair would make it curly as heck, and I'd end up with curly dreadlocks.

YvetteVarie
May 10th, 2019, 02:39 AM
Well... this feeling probably won't last. I've seen a few people on this forum stopping brushing their hair, is that right? It defines the curls and makes for better hair.
I just watched a video that showed curly hair gets so frizzy and big when brushed, even when long. I brush my curls everyday, but I know it will still try to go back into curls.

I'm thinking I'll try not brushing my hair tomorrow after washing. It's scary to me because my hair shrinks so much. But do you think it's worth it? For less frizz and healthier hair. ;) Will I ever learn to love curls, lol.

EDIT: I realise never brushing, combing, detangling, etc will lead to matted hair and dreadlocks. I think dreadlocks are cool. I was considering dreadlocks but I was worried never brushing my hair would make it curly as heck, and I'd end up with curly dreadlocks.

Actually the dreadlocks won't be curly. My sister has type 4a hair. Her dreadlocks are straight unless she manipulates them to produce a curl. Hope this helps with making a decision

Begemot
May 10th, 2019, 02:47 AM
Totally worth it! It should be interesting to see how your curls turns out :) and you can always keep brushing if you feel like it. Just give it a try :thumbsup:

Stardreamer
May 10th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Actually the dreadlocks won't be curly. My sister has type 4a hair. Her dreadlocks are straight unless she manipulates them to produce a curl. Hope this helps with making a decision

How does curly hair go into straight dreadlocks? Wow!

Stardreamer
May 10th, 2019, 03:31 AM
Totally worth it! It should be interesting to see how your curls turns out :) and you can always keep brushing if you feel like it. Just give it a try :thumbsup:

:D thanks!

Begemot
May 10th, 2019, 03:35 AM
Maybe take a pic for us if you try this tomorrow? ;)

Simpscone
May 10th, 2019, 04:22 AM
I've just recently in the past few months stopped dry brushing my curls out, but my understanding is that they would only make dreads if they weren't detangled at all. I still brush out my hair in the shower when its soaking wet to get out any tangles or knots, so unless dreads are what you're going for just do that and you'll be fine!

I'd say definitely try it out! It's not a permanent change, and the worst thing to happen would be you don't like it and can easily brush it out! It's better for your hair just because there is less manipulation, so it's worth trying out and seeing how you feel.

I've almost always brushed mine out, and I really like how they look that way. They aren't frizzy and just turn into loose, smooth looking waves. But I'm trying to do everything I can for my hair health, so for the foreseeable future I'm working on loving my curls as they are!

I'd love to see a picture if you try it out!

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Let us see the results! :)

Also, try watching some wash 'n gos on YT for how to go about it. You typically detangle wet when the conditioner is in there, and then just "mitts off". ;) LOL! Some styling product to define your curls is probably necessary to combat the frizz, so a leave-in or curl cream. And there you go. It's about the same for wavy hair. :)

Hedwig
May 10th, 2019, 07:43 AM
I didn't brush my hair at all for almost a year after getting it bleached, simply because it was almost impossible to get a brush through it (it felt like I was ripping it out) plus it would dry in the craziest curl pattern when I brushed it. Didn't lead to dreadlocks :D I finger detangled it while my conditioner was sinking in. I've recently gone back to brushing it, but I do it right after I get out of the shower when it's still soaking wet and afterwards I scrunch it.

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM
I'm "only" a tad wavy, and I toweldry (30-45min.), then get my hair out, detangle with a Wet brush dupe, and then scrunch my stylers in. It is still damp enough for me, but I often wonder what this would be like on hair that is wetter. Sometimes I leave the towel in less time but IDK it doesn't make that much of a difference for the styling part. :shrug:

Reservechic
May 10th, 2019, 08:00 AM
I only brush my hair when it's wet on my hair wash days, using my Denman brush and I can truly say that it has been an absolute Gidsend for my curly hair. I don't have any issues such with my hair knotting up at all at this time. I do use a Denman Brush to detangle my hair with, Plus, I also don't have any major issues with frizz at all, and the brush helps to keep my curls very well detangled and I don't experience it being too rough on either my hair it scalp.

Plus, the Denman brush, keeps my curls nicely elongated was well, my hair never turns out poofy, also I don't even deal with lots of shrinkage at all to my curls either. I barely have any shrinkage to my hair on my hair wash days after detangling my hair with my Denman brush.And,from that day on until my next hair wash day, my curls appear in a well elongated state. I never brush my hair daily, only when my hair us sopping wet and with a good size if product to it. And, the Denman brush glides through my hair with absolutely no problems at all.

Now, I am subscribed to a very large amount of individuals (of different races, with different curl patterns, and different hair textures) on YouTube at this time. And, there are a lot of individuals that have found great success detangling their curls with a brush. However, no curly have I come across that has the same exact regimen as another. As, even the regimen that I use to tiwards taking care of my own curly hair is like no one else's. Which is why, it's really all about trial and error and find out what works best for your hairs' individual needs overall.

RottenMango
May 10th, 2019, 08:47 AM
I only brush my hair when it is wet and saturated in conditioner. No way in the King of Solomon is a brush going to get through my hair dry anyway. My hair has broken brushes while wet let alone dry. Plus, trying to brush it dry would make it frizz so badly. My hair would look like a bad blowout if I brushed it dry. My hair will also become matted if I don’t brush it out every few days, so yeah, while brushing dry doesn’t work for me, neither would not brushing my hair at all.

BerrySara
May 10th, 2019, 08:56 AM
I agree with lapushka that finding someone on YouTube with similar texture to your own and watching some wash and go and detangling videos will help tremendously. That's definitely how I started. I also found some girls whose styles (clothes, attitude, looks) were in line with what I liked and used them as inspiration to see how they rocked their curls. I felt so awkward with curls as first that it definitely helped seeing what others were able to confidently do with their long curly hair.

Also, your info says you have 3b/3c curls which is what I have as well. And one thing to keep in mind is that the longer our hair gets, the less shrinkage we are likely to experience. Shrinkage can be a little scary to deal with when your hair isn't super long or if you aren't used to it, but it definitely gets better and easier with length. For me, my curls went from very tight when I was at SL and shorter to now they are far more elongated with the added length (weight). <- This was the main reason I first decided to grow my hair long.

Also you don't have to wear your hair a certain way (brushed or curly) all the time. Sometimes its easier to transition and get used to that look by doing it one or two days on the weekends perhaps. And then go from there. There is no right or wrong way to go about it. It comes down to comfort and getting used to it.

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Maybe watch the channel "MAD curls" (mother & daughter curls) on YT. They are fun to watch. I think they are tight 3c.

Panthera
May 10th, 2019, 10:09 AM
I'm "only" a tad wavy, and I toweldry (30-45min.), then get my hair out, detangle with a Wet brush dupe, and then scrunch my stylers in. It is still damp enough for me, but I often wonder what this would be like on hair that is wetter. Sometimes I leave the towel in less time but IDK it doesn't make that much of a difference for the styling part. :shrug:¨

I like to style my hair when it's dripping wet, I get less frizz that way. But less frizz also means less volume and it takes a lot longer to dry too. Oh and you can accidentally put way too much conditioner that way if you don't know what you're doing. Been there done that. :D I would start with drier hair at first, towel dry it a bit and see how it behaves.

BerrySara
May 10th, 2019, 10:41 AM
¨

I like to style my hair when it's dripping wet, I get less frizz that way. But less frizz also means less volume and it takes a lot longer to dry too. Oh and you can accidentally put way too much conditioner that way if you don't know what you're doing. Been there done that. :D I would start with drier hair at first, towel dry it a bit and see how it behaves.

I too style my hair when its dripping wet. I have tried so many different methods of adding the styling products ...(sorry I don't recall the official names) like denman brush, raking, praying hands, twirling each clump of curl strands, robing, scrunching product in etc etc can't think of them all. In the end I felt that the effort some of those took wasn't worth that extra definition. I am now leaning towards easy, I rake it through my hair upside down and then I do the robing method and take out excess water and product with my micro fiber towel.

Btw I only use a microfiber towel or cotton tshirt on my hair as it helps a lot with frizz.

Here is a more recent youtuber whose hair is inspirational to me:

https://youtu.be/-M_LS6DB_tI

And another is HiF3licia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fxA_ZxxQw), I followed her throughout my journey and I have learned a lot from her.

GrowinIt
May 10th, 2019, 10:46 AM
A lot of us had no idea we had any curls or waves because we grew up brushing our hair, we just thought we had frizzy poofy hair. Then one day we use a wide tooth comb on it only while it is wet, and use the correct gel or cream and scrunch it, and wala we have curls! Definitely give it a try!.

Stardreamer
May 10th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thank you all :) I have shown my curls on LHC before but my hair's shorter now so it will look a bit different, I'll take some pics. I really dislike how when it's drying it tickles my neck because it shrinks a lot.

>I think dreadlocks are so awesome, can curly hair really go into straight dreadlocks? :eyebrows: