PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this haircut???

desisparkles
May 9th, 2019, 09:15 PM
What do you think about this method? Has anybody done similar??
It's basically 2 cuts - 1 with hair combed back. 1 with hair combed forward.

I know about the unicorn method/compact cut but curious about this one.

I'm thinking of trying it on myself next year with hubby's help but only cutting off an inch from the back, then an inch from the front. No point cutting for me though.

Preface: she tugs at this poor girls hair and is pretty jerky to her during the vid.

https://youtu.be/f-v2oyfSNG8

Cuts are at

https://youtu.be/f-v2oyfSNG8?t=48

&

https://youtu.be/f-v2oyfSNG8?t=199

result :

https://youtu.be/f-v2oyfSNG8?t=360

-Fern
May 9th, 2019, 09:38 PM
:rollin: LMAO, I love when she first glances up into the mirror and her eyes widen dramatically, then she looks back down.

I think the "After" pic at the very end looks adorable on her!

desisparkles
May 9th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Right?! She def took off wayyy more than the girl wanted - but she kept saying, you need this, stop worrying blah blah blah..

I just wonder if I could mess it up by only cutting off a small amount. I want to have a little layering to show off my waves but still want to try braids and buns without hassle and possibly grow to TBL.

Crystawni
May 9th, 2019, 11:34 PM
This is basically how I cut layers into my own hair and have done for many years. I don't point cut, and I tend to use a hairtie for the back bit, though, sliding it down a'la Feye's method, and blend the front at the end in the same method shown but on a steeper angle to marry in with my length. It's getting much harder doing the front flip now, though, as my ends are out of reach and drag on the ground when I bend over, so I have to step it up a notch, if you know what I mean, :p while also grabbing the curtain of hair carefully and working my way evenly to where I want to cut.

My last trim two months ago gave me these results:

https://i.imgur.com/8iVb2Oz.jpg

And this is how the front normally hangs:

https://i.imgur.com/MEBRPc5.jpg

Crystawni
May 9th, 2019, 11:53 PM
Right?! She def took off wayyy more than the girl wanted - but she kept saying, you need this, stop worrying blah blah blah..

I just wonder if I could mess it up by only cutting off a small amount. I want to have a little layering to show off my waves but still want to try braids and buns without hassle and possibly grow to TBL.

It's always a good idea to start small, and work your way up. :grin: That last cut I did was to re-introduce layers into my hair after a few years of growing them out, so I cut a few centimetres from that front flip (the part that adds the layers) all up. But when I'm maintaining my layers once they're in and I'm still trying to gain overall length, I only trim off enough to even up the front flip "hemline", aka snipping the racers, or around the same amount I've snipped from the back.

desisparkles
May 10th, 2019, 01:43 AM
Thank you Crystawni!

Love that cut on you! I like how the layers are long but you still have some framing your face.

I just put it together in my head that if she had used hair ties (because you mentioned you use a hair tie for the back) instead of just going freestyle with it when it's pulled forward - it actually looks like the unicorn method. Duh, lightbulb moment I just had here.

I'm thinking since my hair is so much shorter than yours it's not going to come out the way I'm wanting - Although I like the volume it gives the girl in the vid. I guess I have a lot of time to think on it since I'm holding off on a cut until I just can't take it anymore.

Begemot
May 10th, 2019, 01:54 AM
I feel so bad for the hair model :bigeyes: How that woman rips her wet hair, the styling... But anyway! The cut looks nice :) OT but I notice you have thick hair, desisparkles, and I wonder if it might be better to let someone else do the cutting. I've seen people cutting their thick hair and it looks like a tough job. Mine is just average thickness and I barely had the patience to cut my own hair and get it nice and even :D Maybe TLHC folks here have good tips for cutting thick hair.

Crystawni
May 10th, 2019, 02:10 AM
Ta, desisparkles! I've done this on myself and others at your length no worries. Just be aware that the more you compact it (i.e. like the unicorn or compact cut methods), the more your haircut will shape into an inverted u-shape once released, especially as the hair overextends over the shape of your head. So going freestyle keeps it "straighter" in the scheme of things, but still requires some touching up afterwards. As for what Begemot mentions about amount of hair, and as I have a buttload of the stuff myself, smaller, finger-clamped cuts are the key, as well as decent, sharp hairdressing shears (no sawing :p). Just use a few hairs from the previous snip as your guide for your next snip, and try to remain as level as you can.

Begemot
May 10th, 2019, 02:17 AM
I applaud you thick haired people who have the patience to cut your own hair! :grin: :bowtome:

desisparkles
May 10th, 2019, 02:19 AM
I feel so bad for the hair model :bigeyes: How that woman rips her wet hair, the styling... But anyway! The cut looks nice :) OT but I notice you have thick hair, desisparkles, and I wonder if it might be better to let someone else do the cutting. I've seen people cutting their thick hair and it looks like a tough job. Mine is just average thickness and I barely had the patience to cut my own hair and get it nice and even :D Maybe TLHC folks here have good tips for cutting thick hair.

Thank you Begemot, that's great advice (and I agree she was so rough with her, it was hard to watch).
I have been cutting my own hair for a decade now - I have had a handful of professional cuts in there but I just don't seem to have good luck with them and I always leave with regret.
Yes you are so right, I've learned so much on here already, I'm sure by the time I'm ready for a cut I'll be much more knowledgeable.

Begemot
May 10th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Wow, a decade! I'm sure you know your hair best by now and how to cut it to your own liking :)

Wusel
May 10th, 2019, 05:22 AM
I can't watch that all... can't stand this stupid woman ripping half of her hair out, pulling on in and handling the woman's head like a football... damnit. That makes me aggressive. That's why I NEVER go to salons. She's damaging her hair... I hear it break all the time... can't stand that. Hairdressers like that should go to hell...

Wusel
May 10th, 2019, 05:28 AM
Watched till the end... sorry, I don't like the result at all. It looks like all women on TV looked in the 1980s and, even when I was a kid, I didn't like it at all and was making fun of it. She only needs huge shoulderpads and we have it. Not for me. Before was much better. But that's only my personal opinion.

Joules
May 10th, 2019, 05:40 AM
I can see how layering can add volume to fine hair, but the end result in the video seemed overdone. Any hair would have volume if you curl it and tease it into oblivion. Besides, that hair with that makeup just made the girl look like a prostitute, and she looked so pretty in the very beginning!

The cut does look nice though, and I bet it would look even nicer when the hair grows out :)

Do hairdressers even have a class on brushing the hair properly in cosmetology school? Who in their right mind would ever try to brush fine wet hair to the front with a comb like that? I wanted to punch this psycho woman for the entirety of the video!

lapushka
May 10th, 2019, 06:08 AM
Hmm. :hmm:

I think I'll just stick to my ponytail on the forehead method. ;) Just one snip and that's it. But not until next January!

Ylva
May 10th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Do hairdressers even have a class on brushing the hair properly in cosmetology school? Who in their right mind would ever try to brush fine wet hair to the front with a comb like that? I wanted to punch this psycho woman for the entirety of the video!

My personal experience is that younger hairdresser these days know better, but then again, I don't have that much data on the subject either. I had one middle-aged female hairdresser with hair above her shoulders tangle my hair into oblivion in the sink and then try and brush it from the root down. She kept tugging and tugging, and the brush would always get stuck at around ear length. My scalp hurt so much and I was just watching the blonde hairs pile up on the brush. I'm glad I'm not that stoic anymore.

ETA: Thinking about it, this was only about two years ago, so I'm probably still experiencing unnecessary thinness in my ends because of this experience.

Panthera
May 10th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Watching the video didn't help with my hairdresser phobia. Poor girl. shudder:

GrowinIt
May 10th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Overall it's probably good, except in that particular video she takes a lot off the front, but I think if you only do 1 inch on back and front, it will be ok for the first time you try the cut. I wouldn't take as much off as she did in that video for sure, just because I'd prefer much longer front layering/framing.

Here is a video from a stylist about how he thinks you should cut your own hair - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5HH5z3z4o - this utilizes the pull all front and snip , this might help you visualize a little better what that will do to your hair.

Some guy showing how you can cut your own hair evenly in the back - pretty brilliant idea with the tape and mark to make sure the 2 sides are even, and he does a flip and trim too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhPPsRiMJg4

yahirwaO.o
May 10th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Watched till the end... sorry, I don't like the result at all. It looks like all women on TV looked in the 1980s and, even when I was a kid, I didn't like it at all and was making fun of it. She only needs huge shoulderpads and we have it. Not for me. Before was much better. But that's only my personal opinion.

Me neither. The final result is beyond outdated and quite frankly straight from the worst 80s hair catalogue. :couch:

Ohhhh yezzzz hairdresser ripping hair off...... I dont need that negativity in my life!!!!!!! :guns:

The haircut itself is good so go for it. Work your own texture and be gentle while cutting it.

desisparkles
May 10th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Overall it's probably good, except in that particular video she takes a lot off the front, but I think if you only do 1 inch on back and front, it will be ok for the first time you try the cut. I wouldn't take as much off as she did in that video for sure, just because I'd prefer much longer front layering/framing.

Here is a video from a stylist about how he thinks you should cut your own hair - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5HH5z3z4o - this utilizes the pull all front and snip , this might help you visualize a little better what that will do to your hair.

Some guy showing how you can cut your own hair evenly in the back - pretty brilliant idea with the tape and mark to make sure the 2 sides are even, and he does a flip and trim too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhPPsRiMJg4

Thanks for the links gonna check them out!!!

I know that was such a rough vid! That is pretty much how I get treated when I get my hair cut so that's why I do it myself. I do hope to find a pro one day who will be gentle and really listen to me and take their time but not holding my breath.

I have done a cut which is basically like a unicorn but you just only take a diamond piece from the crown of your head and that way you get a little layering not too much and no length gets removed. It came out very nicely and I'm still rocking that cut more than 7 months later.

oh and I like the result and I love the 80's so there's that hahaha

-Fern
May 10th, 2019, 06:22 PM
This is the after picture that I think looks awesome on her:
https://youtu.be/f-v2oyfSNG8?t=427

spidermom
May 10th, 2019, 07:04 PM
I've done a similar cut, too, except that I'd bring half in front of each shoulder and combine into a ponytail in front of my neck, sliding a second hair tie toward the ends until I'd gotten to the amount of length I wanted to cut off to establish the hem as I wanted a more rounded U type of hem rather than straight across. Then I'd flip over, make a ponytail about on the center top of my head, then comb the ponytail very smooth and slide a hair tie toward the ends until I had reached the amount that I wanted to cut. It gave a result similar to Crystawni.

I've had heavily layered hair in the past but a stylist did it. Now I like more subtle layers toward the ends and around my face.

Crystawni
May 10th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Gawd, if only hair was this simple to cut back in the early 80s when I first started cutting hair! :rollin: Back then, most cuts were heavily and evenly layered with the top sections starting at about 3" to accommodate perming rods, or shorter on guys with the mullet back (business/party look), with a longer, straighter fringe/bang bit over the forehead and eyes that meant growing the style out was an absolute PITA! And then there was the fashion of cutting sideburns in, and the punk cuts (Cyndi Lauper-esque)...

Anyway, the actual style and technique in the opening vid are fine and work for many lengths. Just ignore the hairdresser's heavy handedness. This is why we cut our own hair, yeah? :cool:

*off to check out the other two vids* :grin:

ETA after watching vids: the tape guideline idea is great--and him keeping the hair straight down instead of bunched and stretched towards the tape gives it a straighter hemline. I also used to flip my hair over from one side to the other to trim a shoulder-length bob, and sometimes add it as a step when doing my hemline now. Fisting the hair--not so much. He's relying on the scissors when his fingers should be doing all the talking.

AutobotsAttack
May 10th, 2019, 08:44 PM
I like the look. Since my hair is naturally layered, but that stylist.....

I’m pretty sure I heard her say 2 inches, when she took off nearly 3-4, in the back, and a whopping additional like 5 inches when she brought her hair to the front. But if the hair model likes it, more power to her. I like the big barrel curls too.

I have fine hair, buts very thick, so it tapers a bit around waist/hip length. But I like it.

2gaits
May 10th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Well I like big ole Texas hair even though I never wear mine that way. LOL
I did trim my own hair for the first time about a week ago. I used the ponytail/unicorn cut and it worked beautifully. I think it looks better than what a professional did. I only trimmed maybe half an inch. Gave me just enough layers in my almost reaching bsl hair.

GrowinIt
May 11th, 2019, 12:40 PM
I wonder if there is a way to do the ponytail/unicorn cut for a side part, so it isn't shorter in the middle, resulting in a shorter side when parted, but rather angled toward the side where the part is, so it is longer in the middle to go along with the part. Everyone seems to just do it in the middle.

This website has some pictures showing some various results from cutting the pony in different ways

https://roxiejanehunt.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

desisparkles
May 11th, 2019, 04:11 PM
I wonder if there is a way to do the ponytail/unicorn cut for a side part, so it isn't shorter in the middle, resulting in a shorter side when parted, but rather angled toward the side where the part is, so it is longer in the middle to go along with the part. Everyone seems to just do it in the middle.

This website has some pictures showing some various results from cutting the pony in different ways

https://roxiejanehunt.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

I stumbled across that page a year ago when I was looking into unicorn cuts and that's when I decided I wouldn't prefer that look on me. But I did use the unicorn to give a little more layering to my crown area - to give a little lift. I just took a diamond section - comparable to my fist and snipped just a bit unicorn style. But I can't find the vid I used that gave me that idea so I wouldn't advise that since I can't provide the visual at the moment.

I've done some cuts from this girl I found on youtube - she speaks portugese but I just follow her cuts by pulling in the same direction she does and I always only snip a little even if she does more than that and I don't do bangs like her - I do mine in a triangle shape if I do them at all but I'll leave this vid here in case you want to check it out - although her style may totally be different than what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/aTD6O2Fgwhc

leayellena
May 13th, 2019, 02:09 AM
gah! now I see why hairdressers talk so much about breakage. yeah wwe learn from hairdressers to damage our hair and keep it short. this video is so cringe though.

ReadingRenee
May 13th, 2019, 08:10 AM
I stumbled across that page a year ago when I was looking into unicorn cuts and that's when I decided I wouldn't prefer that look on me. But I did use the unicorn to give a little more layering to my crown area - to give a little lift. I just took a diamond section - comparable to my fist and snipped just a bit unicorn style. But I can't find the vid I used that gave me that idea so I wouldn't advise that since I can't provide the visual at the moment.

I've done some cuts from this girl I found on youtube - she speaks portugese but I just follow her cuts by pulling in the same direction she does and I always only snip a little even if she does more than that and I don't do bangs like her - I do mine in a triangle shape if I do them at all but I'll leave this vid here in case you want to check it out - although her style may totally be different than what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/aTD6O2Fgwhc

Wow, really interesting technique she has. I wonder what that cut would look like on someone with hair that is not as curly.

GrowinIt
May 13th, 2019, 01:49 PM
I wonder what the twisting does, does it give it more natural/textured looking ends, as opposed to blunt maybe? I've seen that done for bangs, but not sure what that will do for hair pulled forward from the back or sides.

Hellebore
May 13th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Wow, Jessica went from normal to 80's pageant contestant real quick. I was not prepared for that much curl.

The technique looks really cool, but like a lot of the commenters here I was horrified by how the stylist was manhandling her. I think I had some breakage just watching.