PDA

View Full Version : Hair Protection for a Camper! Bonfires n no showers n all that!

OhSuzi
May 8th, 2019, 05:02 AM
So through out Spring to Early Autumn I camp every other / every 3rd weekend (up to about 4 days if its a bank holiday) doing reenactment stuff all over the country.

I ll wash just before we go, so its nice the first day, then by the second day it already reeks of bonfire smoke & if it's a long holiday with no washing facilities by day 3/4 its windswept n tangled, a bit bedraggled & usually had a bit of dry shampoo in it - it looks kind of cool in a don't care boho way.

But I usually have to go to sensible work the day after

- so are their any tips for gently detangling matty dirty camping hair
& the bonfire smell doesnt come out for a bout 3 washes & I prefer to keep my washes stretched to every 4 days ish.
- anything that might get the smell out quicker /
- anything to protect from being smoked & submitted to the harsh environment of the wild in the first place!

LadyCelestina
May 8th, 2019, 05:38 AM
1. Loading it with silicones and keeping it braided. Maybe you could bring a spray-in detangler?
2. STRONGLY perfumed products. If the smell doesn't come out, the only thing you can do is cover it. Try not to manipulate your hair too much around people so the smell doesn't waft. Also, some people report that vinegar gets smell out of clothes, so maybe an ACV rinse?
3. I like buffs! I see reenactment, not sure about the time period, but I think you could make your own out of linen or some similar material?

spitfire511
May 8th, 2019, 06:00 AM
We camp and do outdoorsy things rather a lot in the warm months as well - though I'm not trying to hit a 'period' mark for clothing or appearance (just backpacking/motorcycle riding etc) so it's probably easier. Hats and buffs are my go-to as well for protection as I can. (Mountain biking is my exemption - nothing for it but an oiled/serumed braid and a helmet - buffs are too hot when it's 90+F outside!)

Dry shampoo usually makes everything worse for me as I get angry scalp.

Braiding as appropriate should help - and I would absolutely be using a coney serum before and possibly reapplying during to keep tangles at bay and possibly some of the smoke smell out. A spray in detangler as LadyCelestina mentions is a fantastic idea.

Any period head coverings, scarfs, veils etc (I have no idea what period you're shooting for so ignore this if it doesn't work) is something I'd be doing at least part of the time too.

I'm interested though why the smoke smell is lingering for you - I typically come home and shower (long one with lots of time massaging scalp and letting water onto my hair) with my strongest scented shampoo (have a coney Herbal essences rose one that's a favorite for this) and have never had it stick around past that shower!

Personally while I do love the wild look (my hair can get Merida from 'Brave' -esque though not quite as curly) the detangling and resulting damage isn't worth it (for me) as I endure too much breakage! So it's up or protected at least part of the time with regular brushing to try to keep that at bay!

HaMalka
May 8th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Baking soda might help to remove some scent.

I agree with the braiding and covering as potential preventative measures.

Aerya
May 8th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I'd just use a coney serum and updos/braids to avoid tangles, and maybe cover it in some way too. As for the scent, maybe look into vinegar rinses? It works great to remove smell from clothing so it might work on hair too.

spitfire511
May 8th, 2019, 07:18 AM
I'd just use a coney serum and updos/braids to avoid tangles, and maybe cover it in some way too. As for the scent, maybe look into vinegar rinses? It works great to remove smell from clothing so it might work on hair too.

I like the vinegar rinse idea! (Though I've personally had that scent stick around if I didn't dilute properly! LOL

Baking soda might help to remove some scent.

I agree with the braiding and covering as potential preventative measures.

Hey HaMalka - might be wrong here (and happy to be) but I thought it's generally not recommended to do baking soda anymore because it's more likely to be super damaging than it is to help? (maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing?)

neko_kawaii
May 8th, 2019, 07:27 AM
You might also benefit from a simple deep treatment before washing. Apply diluted conditioner (add honey and aloe for a SMT) to dry hair, clip it up for minimum 20 minutes, rinse out and then wash as usual.

This is used to wash out leave in oils, and I suspect it may help to remove scents too.

Also repeating braids and some sort of covering.

Hellebore
May 8th, 2019, 07:38 AM
So through out Spring to Early Autumn I camp every other / every 3rd weekend (up to about 4 days if its a bank holiday) doing reenactment stuff all over the country.

Are you in SCA by chance?

My boyfriend and I do a lot of SCA stuff, but our big camping trip is in the fall. We're out for about six days. There are showers at the facility but they get packed towards the last few days of the event, especially with the HEMA people needing a shower after they've been fighting in the sun all day. So I try to keep my showers to once or twice while I'm there. I always wash my hair the day I'm going to drive up and keep it in braids/protective styles while I'm down there (also sleeping in braids). Period-appropriate hats protect it from the sun (and I *hate* wearing hats, but it is what it is). As far as the campfire smell, I've never had much success with that. Sometimes dry shampoo helps with the smell, and brands like Pacifica make hair perfume sprays that are really nice.

Hellebore
May 8th, 2019, 07:39 AM
As for the scent, maybe look into vinegar rinses? It works great to remove smell from clothing so it might work on hair too.

Oh wow, this is a really good idea!

Cg
May 8th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Braided buns and buffs, for sure.

HaMalka
May 8th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Hey HaMalka - might be wrong here (and happy to be) but I thought it's generally not recommended to do baking soda anymore because it's more likely to be super damaging than it is to help? (maybe I'm not thinking of the right thing?)

I thought the baking soda damage was from frequent/constant use instead of shampoo. Every other/every 3 weeks for less than half a year might not be so bad. I was also thinking along the lines of using it as a dry shampoo to absorb the smell over time.

enting
May 8th, 2019, 09:54 AM
I'm going to echo everyone else, though I don't think it needs to be braided, but I do think it needs to all be covered and stay covered to prevent smells from getting in. Bunned should be fine, too. If it were me I'd probably layer a couple of scarves, one of them being a thin tichel kind, the other probably being a more sturdy fabric - either a buff or a thicker fabric headscarf. And I'd make sure to tuck in all the open ends. Leaving the back open like a bandanna won't protect your hair from smoke.

OhSuzi
May 9th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Gosh thanks guys lots of tips already.

700 - 1100 AD depending on where abouts in UK we are Viking Saxon type stuff.
Braids & head covering whilst doing shows are the norm, so thats fine. Ill try sticking some coney serum in see if that helps keep it detangly for longer!
If have to wear helmety fighting gear or sleep on a braid it it tends to pull & break more hair & look more of a frizzle frazzle then if its just down.
So I like to take it out of a braid for the evening after the shows to literally & metaphorically let my hear down ! & I guess its my fault, Vanity & a tiny femininst rebellion
– I grew it long to show it off & its frustrating having to hide it under a covering all day because medieval women werent allowed to show their hair.
& we’re around a smokey camp fire for pretty much the whole evening everynight, so smoke kind of just penetrates everything through all my layers of clothing to the skin.
After one wash its not soo bad but I can still smell it in my hair.
Will try a deep condition first for the tangles and the ACV rince at the end for the smell!

spitfire511
May 9th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Gosh thanks guys lots of tips already.

700 - 1100 AD depending on where abouts in UK we are Viking Saxon type stuff.
Braids & head covering whilst doing shows are the norm, so thats fine. Ill try sticking some coney serum in see if that helps keep it detangly for longer!
If have to wear helmety fighting gear or sleep on a braid it it tends to pull & break more hair & look more of a frizzle frazzle then if its just down.
So I like to take it out of a braid for the evening after the shows to literally & metaphorically let my hear down ! & I guess its my fault, Vanity & a tiny femininst rebellion
– I grew it long to show it off & its frustrating having to hide it under a covering all day because medieval women werent allowed to show their hair.
& we’re around a smokey camp fire for pretty much the whole evening everynight, so smoke kind of just penetrates everything through all my layers of clothing to the skin.
After one wash its not soo bad but I can still smell it in my hair.
Will try a deep condition first for the tangles and the ACV rince at the end for the smell!

OH_KAY - sidebar! We need pics of this! :D Sounds amazing!