PDA

View Full Version : How to thicken: airy and see-through ends

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Okay.. So I take good care of my hair overall and it has grown well. It's around thigh-length and I'm happy about the length but it's so thin and airy. Should I cut it or wait for it to grow, it's very see-through, and I don't put it in a braid because the end of the braid will be like a thread of wool. Has anyone had success with thickening up their ends? It's about over 15 cm of thin ends.

Routine:
CWC, leave in with oil every 2-3 days as it gets oily
in a bun mostly
brush regularly with shedding

It looks similar to this lady I found on google:
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2014/12/longest-hair-loss-free-period.html

Any tips with anyone who got through this problem? Thanks

spitfire511
May 7th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Hey - welcome libra4! :flower:

So I'd say (and there will be others with more experience than I on this certainly) but that the best way to do that is to pick a length to maintain and just do little trims consistently to keep it there until that thickness can travel down your length since it sounds like your routine is pretty good!

enting
May 7th, 2019, 01:37 PM
A member here, Gossamer, recently noted on her hair anniversary post that she thought her ends were just going to stay thin, but pictures proved that they thickened up tremendously, and she's past floor length!

You may also want to check out the Microtrimming and Maintaining thread, many people there have thickened up their ends.

Sometimes it's just a matter of perseverance and letting slower hairs catch up. Sometimes it's a matter of reducing damage to the ends.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 01:58 PM
A member here, Gossamer, recently noted on her hair anniversary post that she thought her ends were just going to stay thin, but pictures proved that they thickened up tremendously, and she's past floor length!

You may also want to check out the Microtrimming and Maintaining thread, many people there have thickened up their ends.

Sometimes it's just a matter of perseverance and letting slower hairs catch up. Sometimes it's a matter of reducing damage to the ends.

Her ends are still thin, but the thick hair has grown downwards, so that instead of her thin ends being at, say, calf length, they are now at past floor length. So the hair at calf which looked thin before is now thick. The thin ends are now lower down. But you can micro trim your ends, just a tiny trim every month and it's amazing how it gives progress in thickening up your ends. Not ony are the thin parts gradually being trimmed away, but the thick hair is growing downwards to take their place.

MsPharaohMoan
May 7th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Another vote for microtrimming, it's amazing how little amounts taken off add up over time!

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Hey - welcome libra4! :flower:

So I'd say (and there will be others with more experience than I on this certainly) but that the best way to do that is to pick a length to maintain and just do little trims consistently to keep it there until that thickness can travel down your length since it sounds like your routine is pretty good!

Hello, spitfire511,
To come to think of it, I haven't trimmed in a while, so I think I will stay at this length and micro trim and hopefully the ends will start to thicken.. ������ I really hope so!

MusicalSpoons
May 7th, 2019, 03:18 PM
If you like braids but feel insecure, you can use a paranda to thicken the braid :)

As for success in thickening thin ends, I'll let you know in a couple of years' time! ;) My hair lives in buns so the thin ends don't usually bother me right now; I am considering the paranda option though for a bit more variety. But once I reach a happy length I'll maintain with trims in the hope some thickness does catch up.

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Her ends are still thin, but the thick hair has grown downwards, so that instead of her thin ends being at, say, calf length, they are now at past floor length. So the hair at calf which looked thin before is now thick. The thin ends are now lower down. But you can micro trim your ends, just a tiny trim every month and it's amazing how it gives progress in thickening up your ends. Not ony are the thin parts gradually being trimmed away, but the thick hair is growing downwards to take their place.

That makes a lot of sense, I will need to give it a chance to grow longer and also micro trim along the way. Hope it gets thicker in the ends, thank you !:pray::pray:

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 03:25 PM
If you like braids but feel insecure, you can use a paranda to thicken the braid :)

As for success in thickening thin ends, I'll let you know in a couple of years' time! ;) My hair lives in buns so the thin ends don't usually bother me right now; I am considering the paranda option though for a bit more variety. But once I reach a happy length I'll maintain with trims in the hope some thickness does catch up.

Hello! Yess braids do make me feel insecure and keep noticing how thin it is. Never thought of a paranda, very interesting!! But I think I'll stick to my low bun for now, until it thickens! Good luck to you :D

spitfire511
May 7th, 2019, 03:27 PM

Oooh - libra4 this is a great idea if you've never played with paranda - they can be SO much fun!! (There's a thread on them, as well as swordwomanriona wears them quite a bit and they're cool!

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Another vote for microtrimming, it's amazing how little amounts taken off add up over time!

Microtrimming it is, I will try to figure out how how often and how much I need to take off. Thanks!

Corvana
May 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Okay.. So I take good care of my hair overall and it has grown well. It's around thigh-length and I'm happy about the length but it's so thin and airy. Should I cut it or wait for it to grow, it's very see-through, and I don't put it in a braid because the end of the braid will be like a thread of wool. Has anyone had success with thickening up their ends? It's about over 15 cm of thin ends.

Routine:
CWC, leave in with oil every 2-3 days as it gets oily
in a bun mostly
brush regularly with shedding

It looks similar to this lady I found on google:
http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2014/12/longest-hair-loss-free-period.html

Any tips with anyone who got through this problem? Thanks

That post is actually by an LHCer! I recognized the photos in that post, and this one: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2014/05/why-i-havent-cut-my-hair-despite-hair.html

But I just can't remember her name... Anyway, she microtrimmed if I'm not mistaken!

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Here she is Emichiee ~ https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4812
and her youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/DieSushiBitch

Yes she micro trimmed...and I second that :thumbsup:

If you aren't happy to wait then cut back a bit to a happier spot and start trimming...the thickness work it's way down in time.

Khristopher
May 8th, 2019, 12:00 AM
Hi Libra4! Just to add my two cents, I'm on the same boat as you, and microtrimmed monthly for 2 years, and didn't notice a change on my hair. In fact, it's even thinner than when I started, so now I'm just being neglect and letting it do it's thing. I read Emichiee's blog posts a while ago, and noticed her hair thinness was similar to mine. After trying microtrimming (and being very consistent at it), I now think that the thin ends are more related to shedding cycles. I get a big shed on new year ever since I started paying attention (2013 if I remember correctly). This year the shedding is worse, starting on feb and still going.
So, I would suggest you to revise if you have shedding cycles or if there's some deficiency on nutrients in your diet, which is crucial for having healthy hair. And have patience, embrace what you have, thin ends are handy sometimes :p Parandas are great as well, but I'm sure your braid is beautiful as is!

Libra4
May 9th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Hi Libra4! Just to add my two cents, I'm on the same boat as you, and microtrimmed monthly for 2 years, and didn't notice a change on my hair. In fact, it's even thinner than when I started, so now I'm just being neglect and letting it do it's thing. I read Emichiee's blog posts a while ago, and noticed her hair thinness was similar to mine. After trying microtrimming (and being very consistent at it), I now think that the thin ends are more related to shedding cycles. I get a big shed on new year ever since I started paying attention (2013 if I remember correctly). This year the shedding is worse, starting on feb and still going.
So, I would suggest you to revise if you have shedding cycles or if there's some deficiency on nutrients in your diet, which is crucial for having healthy hair. And have patience, embrace what you have, thin ends are handy sometimes :p Parandas are great as well, but I'm sure your braid is beautiful as is!
Hello !
With regards to shedding cycles, I will need to do some observation but I do feel like sometimes I get unusual shedding for unknown reason.. but thankfully no deficiencies that I'm aware of. Thank you so much for that insight, hope your shedding stops/reduces soon and you get closer to your goal! Thank you!! And goodluck :)

lapushka
May 9th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Hello !
With regards to shedding cycles, I will need to do some observation but I do feel like sometimes I get unusual shedding for unknown reason.. but thankfully no deficiencies that I'm aware of. Thank you so much for that insight, hope your shedding stops/reduces soon and you get closer to your goal! Thank you!! And goodluck :)

No deficiencies = great! One less thing to worry about! :)

Are you by chance using oil or conditioner on the scalp. Some don't tolerate it well and shed more due to this (even more than would come out normally). If you're not doing any of that, it might be seasonal shedding?

Libra4
May 9th, 2019, 06:46 PM
No deficiencies = great! One less thing to worry about! :)

Are you by chance using oil or conditioner on the scalp. Some don't tolerate it well and shed more due to this (even more than would come out normally). If you're not doing any of that, it might be seasonal shedding?

Hello :)!

Oh my, I do use coconut oil on my scalp.. :o could that be a cause of shedding?? I'm learning more everyday :cry::cry: I will need to observe in the next few weeks, so that I know for sure the cause of why it's happening. I'm very grateful for the insight.. thank you so much :blossom:

Ylva
May 9th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Hello :)!

Oh my, I do use coconut oil on my scalp.. :o could that be a cause of shedding?? I'm learning more everyday :cry::cry: I will need to observe in the next few weeks, so that I know for sure the cause of why it's happening. I'm very grateful for the insight.. thank you so much :blossom:

Coconut oil is a particularly heavy oil, which increases the chances of your scalp not getting along with it and it possibly causing shedding. Stopping that and seeing what happens (you'll need months to see any results) could be a good idea.

yahirwaO.o
May 9th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Here she is Emichiee .

Queen EMICHIEE :thud::thud::thud:

I'm seriously her biggest secret fan oh gee probably..... since her old nickname which was so eloquently "diesushibitch" :eek: back in 09.

She is an idol for anyone that was feeling like crap with see through ends and feeling like a misfortune. I wonder where she is now or what she is up to.

Heres another link to her blogspot where she continue to show her progress. http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/

... and yes i'm another fanatic of micro trimming, fine hair grows beautifully when ends are controlled!!!! :cool: