PDA

View Full Version : Onion Juice and Garlic Oil

Wusel
May 6th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Anybody tried this? My scalp takes onion juice and garlic oil pretty well and the smell doesn't bother me at all. I ask myself if it's the IM or the onion and garlic juice which made me grow 1,4cm in 15 days. Would like to read your opinions, how and how often you do it. I'm thinking of doing it twice a week.

spidermom
May 7th, 2019, 01:35 AM
Oh my goodness, no; not for me. I can barely stand the scent of garlic oozing out of his pores after my husband eats it. He loves it; I loathe it. The last thing I want to smell like is onion or garlic, and I'd avoid it even if someone told me I could grow an inch a week if I used it.

Astrid Carlisle
May 7th, 2019, 03:44 AM
Some people say this stuff doesn't work and hair can't get thicker etc from these things. But when I was younger, I didn't have a lot of hair and it wasn't growing well. My mum tried onion juice (we did this method for some time) and we did see improvement in thickness or my hair. I can't say about faster growth, but my hair did get a lot thicker.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Nope - not for me :)

Joules
May 7th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Please note that it's impossible to speed up hair growth from the outside. Hair growth is tied to hormones, metabolism and nutrients (deficiencies, etc.), so unless you have a condition that has a side-effect of slow hair growth, you can't really do anything about it. Just focus on length retention.

I tried onion juice and regretted it very much. I couldn't get the smell out for 6 months and it was quite embarrassing.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Why don't you try eating some peanut butter every day instead? It has good protein and other things which are very good for growing healthy hair - from the inside.

Aerya
May 7th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Why don't you try eating some peanut butter every day instead? It has good protein and other things which are very good for growing healthy hair - from the inside.

This! I think you're way better off taking care of the hair you've already got and otherwise optimizing your new growth by being healthy. Eat good foods, stay hydrated, get your blood flow going and get enough sleep.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 07:04 AM
This! I think you're way better off taking care of the hair you've already got and otherwise optimizing your new growth by being healthy. Eat good foods, stay hydrated, get your blood flow going and get enough sleep.

That's all I do anyway. Butmany girls from India use garlic and onion on their hair regularly and have beautiful, long hair, so, why not trying this too. My hair doesn't even hold the smell of perfume so both garlic and onion smell is gone from my hair after 4 hours after washing it out, so, I'm not really worried about that. :) They also say it prevents hairloss and makes your edges grow back in. Which is always my problem.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Please note that it's impossible to speed up hair growth from the outside.

That's not true. I do speed up my growth a lot by massaging my scalp, Inversion Method, oiling my scalp, using masks with hair boosting ingredients... I get up to 3cm by this instead of my normal 1,5 per month.
In November my hair was chin length and now I can do a pretty long braid already.

Aerya
May 7th, 2019, 07:49 AM
That's all I do anyway. Butmany girls from India use garlic and onion on their hair regularly and have beautiful, long hair, so, why not trying this too. My hair doesn't even hold the smell of perfume so both garlic and onion smell is gone from my hair after 4 hours after washing it out, so, I'm not really worried about that. :) They also say it prevents hairloss and makes your edges grow back in. Which is always my problem.

Many girls from India also have excellent hair genes and have grown their hair for many years. But of course, if you want to experiment with onion juice and it doesn't stink, go ahead - it probably won't hurt! :)

However, if you're struggling with hairloss and thinning edges I'd try to find the cause of that if I were you. Thinning hairline can be caused by too tight updos, hormonal imbalances, etc. so definitely things worth looking into for proper treatment!

-Fern
May 7th, 2019, 07:55 AM
The tough thing about doing so many experiments on your hair at once is that it's impossible to tease out what was effective and what wasn't.

Likewise, with the burning scalp issue you mentioned in the Cantu post, I find it far more likely that it's caused by interaction with the allium juices than by the shampoo alone, but there's no way to single out the cause of negative effects, either.

Hexen
May 7th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Whether it works for this purpose or not, ideally, people should consume raw garlic every day, or at least several times a week for reasons that go beyond anything having to do with hair.
You dont have to actually chew it. Just mince or grate it or whatever you're comfy with. Throw it back like it was a pile of M&M's (not melting) in the palm of your hand, and then wash it down with a drink.

But as has been alluded to already...ravaging raw gahhhlic does come with its side effects. The good of which actually outweigh the bad though. :)

neko_kawaii
May 7th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I tried onion juice once a week for a month. It had no impact on my growth.

AmaryllisRed
May 7th, 2019, 08:37 AM
I love onions and garlic both and I have a pretty good growth rate.
Wouldn't waste them on my hair, though. Too good in my belly.
I agree with -Fern. If you're doing 20 different experiments on your hair at the same time, how do you know what's effective? Why not try like one thing per month?

ETA: 3 cm a month is 1.18 inches? That's well above average. I think you could rub all the cheese in Christendom on your head and never get a better growth rate than that.

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 08:49 AM
That's not true. I do speed up my growth a lot by massaging my scalp, Inversion Method, oiling my scalp, using masks with hair boosting ingredients... I get up to 3cm by this instead of my normal 1,5 per month.
In November my hair was chin length and now I can do a pretty long braid already.

It should be about APL now, right?:)

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 08:55 AM
To answer your question: I would never use onions or garlic on my scalp, and honestly I'd ask someone you trust about the smell, our own senses can sometimes play tricks.

I would maaaybe consider using a shampoo with extracts, or some other product that is scented.

Regular exercise is the best growth tonic for me! :)

Hexen
May 7th, 2019, 09:00 AM
I love onions and garlic both and I have a pretty good growth rate.
Wouldn't waste them on my hair, though. Too good in my belly.
I agree with -Fern. If you're doing 20 different experiments on your hair at the same time, how do you know what's effective? Why not try like one thing per month?

ETA: 3 cm a month is 1.18 inches? That's well above average. I think you could rub all the cheese in Christendom on your head and never get a better growth rate than that.

That would take 20 months...:bigeyes:

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 09:06 AM

Yeah but consider how much growth you'll have by then!

AmaryllisRed
May 7th, 2019, 09:09 AM

It would... but at least then it would be easier to tell what was working, right? And maybe one of the earlier experiments would have miraculous results and no further experiments would be needed.

Hexen
May 7th, 2019, 09:49 AM
It would... but at least then it would be easier to tell what was working, right? And maybe one of the earlier experiments would have miraculous results and no further experiments would be needed.

Yes. Of course. Unless the experiment was specifically based on the combined application of various things. But when it comes to an experiment testing the effect of hair growth, I think a single month is a wee bit brief anyway. Two or even three months per experiment I think would yield a better control time to measure changes. Some people could exist as a living statue on the Las Vegas strip, hardly ever even moving and their hair might still grow a quarter to a half inch in a month. Possibly even more. So lets just say we cut the 20 experiments in half and went with 10. Each spanning three months. That would still take us up to 30 months lol!

Im just being obnoxious....lol. But I do understand the variables involved. And it really is a gamble when it comes to these kinds of experiments. One may work, and one may not. And it certainly doesnt happen overnight :)

Joules
May 7th, 2019, 10:10 AM

I just checked out your youtube channel which is linked in your signature and I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have exactly the same amount of growth as I do from last November to now. My hair grows 1.5cm a month. You either have insane breakage that doesn't allow you to retain length or your measuring isn't correct.

If you're measuring growth by ends your results are gonna be pretty skewed, even if you try your hardest to measure in the right way. That's why I don't measure my hair that often, my ends can be weird and flippy one day and straight the next and it's just impossible to do anything. I had a very vague idea of my growth rate until I started hennaing my hair and could measure my roots, and surprise, the result turned out to be different than I expected (and that I was getting before when measuring by ends).

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 10:57 AM
I just checked out your youtube channel which is linked in your signature and I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have exactly the same amount of growth as I do from last November to now. My hair grows 1.5cm a month. You either have insane breakage that doesn't allow you to retain length or your measuring isn't correct.

If you're measuring growth by ends your results are gonna be pretty skewed, even if you try your hardest to measure in the right way. That's why I don't measure my hair that often, my ends can be weird and flippy one day and straight the next and it's just impossible to do anything. I had a very vague idea of my growth rate until I started hennaing my hair and could measure my roots, and surprise, the result turned out to be different than I expected (and that I was getting before when measuring by ends).

You ARE rude. And I wrote a thread on how I measure. It's my bangs, the middle strand where my widows peak is and it's very precise. And it does grow that much. If you want to accuse me of lying or being to stupid to measure better leave this thread.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 10:58 AM

You ARE rude. And I wrote a thread on how I measure. It's my bangs, the middle strand where my widows peak is and it's very precise. And it does grow that much. If you want to accuse me of lying or being to stupid to measure better leave this thread.

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Yeah I wonder if the thought process is = "my hair once grew 1,5cm in 14 days, therefore it must be steadily growing 3cm per month"

This is unfortunately not quite the case for many people. For some, the hair grows in spurts - there are periods of quicker or slower growth. Some months you might get 1,5cm in 2 weeks then no growth, another month you might get 0,5 cm every week, then you might have a stall and only get 1cm or less ... it averages out. I think there was a thread on LHC where the user measured their hair weekly and this was the result - some weeks they had no growth, other weeks they had significant growth, but in the end it averaged out to "normal" growth rate.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 11:04 AM
It should be about APL now, right?:)

Almost. I'm about 1,5 cm from it. But I have a very long neck, so, it's a longer way downwards.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Yeah I wonder if the thought process is = "my hair once grew 1,5cm in 14 days, therefore it must be steadily growing 3cm per month"

This is unfortunately not quite the case for many people. For some, the hair grows in spurts - there are periods of quicker or slower growth. Some months you might get 1,5cm in 2 weeks then no growth, another month you might get 0,5 cm every week, then you might have a stall and only get 1cm or less ... it averages out. I think there was a thread on LHC where the user measured their hair weekly and this was the result - some weeks they had no growth, other weeks they had significant growth, but in the end it averaged out to "normal" growth rate.

4 years ago when i was growing out I had an average growth of 2,5cm, which I hope to get now too. I don't think that it will grow 3cm every month, that's definitely not possible, but I have fun trying different methods in the beginning to find out which one works best for me and is most comfortable and that one i will continue doing the next years. As for now I didn't decide what is the best. What I only have found out is that my scalp doesn't like coconut oil and that my lengths, like 4 years ago, need cones.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 11:10 AM

And to add some info: my hair grows 3cm since I'm doing things for it. After the cut, the first 2 months I did nothing and it grew 1,5.

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 11:14 AM
4 years ago when i was growing out I had an average growth of 2,5cm, which I hope to get now too. I don't think that it will grow 3cm every month, that's definitely not possible, but I have fun trying different methods in the beginning to find out which one works best for me and is most comfortable and that one i will continue doing the next years. As for now I didn't decide what is the best. What I only have found out is that my scalp doesn't like coconut oil and that my lengths, like 4 years ago, need cones.

Well, if you enjoy onion juice for growth, the "active" ingredient is basically sulfur, which is commonly added to shampoos - maybe it would be a nice support for the onion treatments? :)

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 11:16 AM

And from what I can see in your photos your neck is shorter than mine, so, of course, until my length reaches my shoulders is more centimeters than for you. And no, I don't have any breakage and am able to retain the grown length. Again. You are rude.

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Well, if you enjoy onion juice for growth, the "active" ingredient is basically sulfur, which is commonly added to shampoos - maybe it would be a nice support for the onion treatments? :)

Thank you :) I will look for a shampoo with sulfur.

Libra4
May 7th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I tried garlic with coconut oil applied to the roots and length and left for a few hours. The scent lingered for days, which I didn't like at all, and ended up using shampoo to the point of dryness -> defeated the purpose. So i didn't see a result from doing it once. But I've heard so many good things from those who use it consistently. Especially with regards to growth. :)

Joules
May 7th, 2019, 12:26 PM
And from what I can see in your photos your neck is shorter than mine, so, of course, until my length reaches my shoulders is more centimeters than for you. And no, I don't have any breakage and am able to retain the grown length. Again. You are rude.

None of my pictures show my neck properly. It might be shorter, but your neck isn't twice as long as mine. I thought maybe this was just a measuring mistake on your part, or like another poster said maybe your hair just grows in spurts. You could have just said that you have a solid measuring technique and you're sure in your results, instead you're overreacting, being defensive and way more rude than I was in my original post.

SleepyTangles
May 7th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Lets have some cheese (:cheese:its still a thing here? ;)) and not fight. Photo can be misleading, Im sure Wusel knows how much her hair grows in a month.
I know for certain that my hair grows very fast in spring/early summer, independently of what I eat or apply on the scalp.

I wont be very eager to put onion in my hair, but I can totally see it working. Essential oils are very stimulating for the micro-circulation of the blood, and garlic and onion are very rich in essential oils. Plus I remember taking MSM supplements, which is a sulphur compound, and seeing my hair grow like crazy (expecially unwanted body hair, lol).
A pretty big downside of taking MSM supplements is that your perspiration smells so much like sulphur, like youve been summoned from the deepest firepit of hell ;).

The-Young-Maid
May 7th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Yikes.

I've tried lots of different mixes/treatments on my scalp but they didn't do anything. What I consume and keeping my scalp clean/healthy are the only things that really effect my growth. Your skin/scalp don't absorb everything you put on them, the molecules need to be suuuuper tiny to penetrate, so most things won't effect you. My skin/scalp are very sensitive and get clogged easily, so I only end up losing hair from clogging my follicles. The inversion method seems to be the most promising if anything(no oil necessary). But I'm unable to do it due to health reasons so I can't test it myself anymore.

Even if there is something that truly effects growth, will you have to use it forever? Once you stop will all that new growth slow and shed? I'd rather have consistent growth than shedding because I'm too lazy to continue.

TLDR: Eating it is better than putting food on your scalp.

Also it's unfair to compare growth between two people as everyone's growth and body measurements are different. But understand that people get *confused* when someone claims to grow x amount, may/may not trim, and still appears to be at x length. I wouldn't call it rude.

edit: hair also grows differently all over your head. And natural extracts in hair products do very little; it's just marketing.

Begemot
May 7th, 2019, 01:50 PM

This is how I feel too. I'll rather eat my avocados, onions and such than put them in my hair. Getting the nutrients from food in my hair to make it strong and healthy instead of putting food on top of it makes more sense to me.

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Yikes.

I've tried lots of different mixes/treatments on my scalp but they didn't do anything. What I consume and keeping my scalp clean/healthy are the only things that really effect my growth. Your skin/scalp don't absorb everything you put on them, the molecules need to be suuuuper tiny to penetrate, so most things won't effect you. My skin/scalp are very sensitive and get clogged easily, so I only end up losing hair from clogging my follicles. The inversion method seems to be the most promising if anything(no oil necessary). But I'm unable to do it due to health reasons so I can't test it myself anymore.

Even if there is something that truly effects growth, will you have to use it forever? Once you stop will all that new growth slow and shed? I'd rather have consistent growth than shedding because I'm too lazy to continue.

Also it's unfair to compare growth between two people as everyone's growth and body measurements are different. But understand that people get *confused* when someone claims to grow x amount, may/may not trim, and still appears to be at x length. I wouldn't call it rude.

edit: hair also grows differently all over your head. And natural extracts in hair products do very little; it's just marketing.

There are some ingredients which do penetrate, I am not sure which ones, but a brief google search will surely yield results. There's lots of info on balding boards for men.

The reason behind putting things like onions (sulfur) works in some cases is because it kills the fungi which feed on hair sebum - malassezia overgrowth can hinder hairgrowth.

ETA: I see no reason why new growth should shed ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 02:34 PM
There are some ingredients which do penetrate, I am not sure which ones, but a brief google search will surely yield results. There's lots of info on balding boards for men.

The reason behind putting things like onions (sulfur) works in some cases is because it kills the fungi which feed on hair sebum - malassezia overgrowth can hinder hairgrowth.

ETA: I see no reason why new growth should shed ;)

So wouldn't anti dandruff shampoo be just as good and less stinky?

LadyCelestina
May 7th, 2019, 02:36 PM
So wouldn't anti dandruff shampoo be just as good and less stinky?
Yup, that's what I recommended earlier in the thread :) But if someone feels like using the onions instead - why not?

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Oh my goodness....you are brave to try it :disbelief

I am not a fan of the 'fragrance' of garlic or onions so that's a 'no go' for me :tmi:

You are lucky your hair doesn't smell.... with MY luck mine would reek for months:tbear:

I am glad you have found things that are working for you to increase your growth :cheer:

BTW: I have enjoyed your videos with Hans :)

Climber
May 7th, 2019, 04:08 PM
You could experiment with yourself as the control: only put the onion/garlic on half your head, with the other half as the control. Then you could see how this actually affects/does not affect your hair. :)

AmaryllisRed
May 7th, 2019, 04:50 PM
You could experiment with yourself as the control: only put the onion/garlic on half your head, with the other half as the control. Then you could see how this actually affects/does not affect your hair. :)

This sounds fun! Has anyone here ever done an experiment like that?

Joules
May 8th, 2019, 12:35 AM
A pretty big downside of taking MSM supplements is that your perspiration smells so much like sulphur, like youve been summoned from the deepest firepit of hell ;).

There goes my plan to try MSM :lol: I think I'll wait until winter :lol:

Suortuva
May 8th, 2019, 12:49 AM

I think that's very individual. MSM never affected me that way. Actually I don't know if it ever did anything to me, and I have sometimes used it for longer periods. So if you're curious, just try. You can always stop. But start with s small dose, otherwise you can get stomach problems.

Hexen
May 8th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Gosh...

I always thought smelling like sulpher was the ultimate aphrodisiac...:hmm:

Aerya
May 8th, 2019, 01:23 AM

I never noticed that effect either, and I used to take a fairly high dosage. Not that I asked around about it, but I'm sure my BF would tell me if I smelled bad. It does taste horrible though. :lol:

Suortuva
May 8th, 2019, 01:29 AM
I never noticed that effect either, and I used to take a fairly high dosage. Not that I asked around about it, but I'm sure my BF would tell me if I smelled bad. It does taste horrible though. :lol:

Yeah, DH used it too, and bigger dosages than me, so I would have definitely noticed if he had smelled, but he didn't either.
I used to mix it with juice, because of the taste.

Aerya
May 8th, 2019, 01:36 AM
Yeah, DH used it too, and bigger dosages than me, so I would have definitely noticed if he had smelled, but he didn't either.
I used to mix it with juice, because of the taste.

Did that fully disguise the taste? I think I'll try MSM again and it would be so nice to not have to deal with the taste, haha.

Suortuva
May 8th, 2019, 01:49 AM
Did that fully disguise the taste? I think I'll try MSM again and it would be so nice to not have to deal with the taste, haha.

Maybe not fully, but it worked well. I used mostly orange juice, and I drank it really fast :D

YvetteVarie
May 8th, 2019, 07:15 AM
I can't stand the smells of raw onion and garlic so I'll pass.

Ylva
May 8th, 2019, 08:35 AM

I wouldn't mind the smell, in fact I don't think I even smelled like anything while taking MSM, but the TASTE. Oh gosh, the taste. It was worse than fish oil.

Maybe not fully, but it worked well. I used mostly orange juice, and I drank it really fast :D

Hahah, that gives me flashbacks of when I was a kid and suffered from a lot of UTIs. My mom would always put the medicine in orange juice, and that lead to me refusing to drink orange juice for 10+ years.

MoonRabbit
May 8th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Whenever onion juice pops up on here, I always think about the book Holes lol.

But no I have never tried it, I guess if I was in severe need, like having a really bad shed or a long stall, I would give it a go. But for me the whole point of growing is that I don't have to do anything extravagant. Hmm seems to be a fine line between being patience or just being lazy lol.

I'm happy to hear it is working for you, and I would still like to read your results from it.

LittleHealthy
May 8th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Whenever onion juice pops up on here, I always think about the book Holes lol.

But no I have never tried it, I guess if I was in severe need, like having a really bad shed or a long stall, I would give it a go. But for me the whole point of growing is that I don't have to do anything extravagant. Hmm seems to be a fine line between being patience or just being lazy lol.

I'm happy to hear it is working for you, and I would still like to read your results from it.

That book! Was Onions a character? Such a good story.

I can’t vouch for onion juice or garlic on the scalp, but I will say the only way I’ve ever seen improvement in my own hair growth is from taking foods internally. Fish oils mainly, which I cycle on and off of, for another health reason. The hair growth is just a bonus, though the improvement is only very slight.

I absolutely love garlic and onion on the inside! Wouldn’t be so keen on trying them on the outside.

MoonRabbit
May 8th, 2019, 12:53 PM
That book! Was Onions a character? Such a good story.

I can’t vouch for onion juice or garlic on the scalp, but I will say the only way I’ve ever seen improvement in my own hair growth is from taking foods internally. Fish oils mainly, which I cycle on and off of, for another health reason. The hair growth is just a bonus, though the improvement is only very slight.

I absolutely love garlic and onion on the inside! Wouldn’t be so keen on trying them on the outside.

The character Sam, grew the 'magical' onions and he talked about how they could be used to cure almost everything including baldness.

Wusel
May 8th, 2019, 04:55 PM
The character Sam, grew the 'magical' onions and he talked about how they could be used to cure almost everything including baldness.

Sam? What a coincidence. My son's name is Sam :)
As for my results, I have measured again and it's 16mm now since April 21. I hope it continues like this and I get more than 20mm this month. I didn't put anything on my scalp today though. Want to give it a day off. But tomorrow is onion day again, I think. :)
i really don't mind the smell. It disappears very fast and I spray my hair and scalp with rose water afterwards too.
Unfortunately it looks like there's no real warm summer coming so the growth spurt I get from summer warmth won't come. But it's okay. More onions then. LOL.