PDA

View Full Version : BBB on curly and/or hair???

blackgothicdoll
May 5th, 2019, 11:41 AM
So my favorite hair style has always been to smooth my hair back while damp with a BBB and gel. It would usually be a pretty tight bun, but it is probably the best way I can wear it while in uniform or for corporate events to pull off a very neat look. But I've seen people say BBB shouldn't be used on curly hair or wet hair, so using it on both is probably bad...? I know I had issues with nylon brushes giving mid-shaft splits, but I'm not sure about BBB since those aren't sharp. Does anyone else use a soft or hard BBB on hair or curly hair when wet to smooth it down and has it caused damage?

blackgothicdoll
May 5th, 2019, 07:42 PM
bumpity bump

hinabelle
May 5th, 2019, 08:15 PM
I used to use a BBB dry when I was relaxed, which was absolutely incredible for it. Once I began transitioning and the new growth came in, my hair did NOT like the BBB dry. I threw it out.
I think as long as your hair is wet or damp, it should be fine. I was just thinking about how maybe I'd be able to pick up another one to use on my soaking wet hair to move the insane amount of sebum I have down my hair.
If it's working for you and you don't have splits or hear ripping while using it, I don't see any problem!

RottenMango
May 5th, 2019, 08:46 PM
I had a boar bristle brush used on my dry hair as a little girl, and even though my stepmom and dad did ridiculous things in caring for my hair, it was still long and somewhat healthy. I do think that brush used to hurt a little when it would catch on my hair, though.

I would never use one on my hair now because I feel like those hard bristles would chip away at my hair’s cuticle and cause split ends and maybe even mid shaft splits. However, I may just be paranoid. I choose to only brush my hair when it is wet with a paddle brush that has long, flexible bristles.

If boar bristle brushes have been working nicely for your hair, I don’t see why you can’t implement them in your routine. Every curly head is different so some things that would destroy my hair may actually work beautifully for yours. Perhaps you can do a trial run on a small section of hair first to see if you get good results compared to what you regularly do.

Deborah
May 6th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you have had good success using the BBB, so maybe 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

lapushka
May 6th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Shouldn't is a big word. I personally don't use it anymore because I found out it frayed and frazzled my hair and I didn't like it. It gave me even more frizz, and I have F hair, I have to be careful.

LadyCelestina
May 6th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I feel like it snags more if my hair is damp. When dry it sort of glides through my hair, when damp I feel a slight resistance ...but then again my hair is straightish at the roots. I guess most BBB info comes from people with straight to wavy hair (at least on LHC), so when they say that a BBB is no go for wet hair, the slight "drag" of the brush on wet hair is what they mean. On 4a it could be entirely different.

If you don't hear or feel it snagging I'd say its fine.