PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with CANTU shampoo?

Wusel
May 5th, 2019, 01:10 AM
It says there is no sulfates, silicones, parabens and mineral oil.
The ingredients are:
Aqua, Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Acrylates Copolymer, Cocamide DIPA, Glycerin, Glycoldistearate, Steareth-4, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum, PEG-150 Distearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Polyquaternium-39, Polyester-11, Sodium Hydroxide, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, EDTA, Panthenol. Ethylhexylglycerin, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Benzyl Benzoate.
Why does it lather so extremely? From what?
I have to give it back since it gave me a headache, itchy scalp and my hair felt like hay, ready to break off.
What ingredient there is so harsh?

Joules
May 5th, 2019, 01:16 AM
Probably it's Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate. Technically it's not a sulfate, but it's still quite a potent detergent (according to science-y hair blog it's even better than SLS in removing silicones and conditioner buildup). So yeah, not every sulfate-free shampoo is gentle.

Wusel
May 5th, 2019, 01:27 AM
Probably it's Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate. Technically it's not a sulfate, but it's still quite a potent detergent (according to science-y hair blog it's even better than SLS in removing silicones and conditioner buildup). So yeah, not every sulfate-free shampoo is gentle.

Okay... thank you, I didn't know that. There was so much lather, the whole bath tub full, and I took the normal amount I take always. I mean, my hair was VERY clean afterwards, but my scalp hurt like I had washed it with muriatic acid or so...
It's written on the bottle that its 'Gentle Formula Prevents Breakage'... wow. This stuff is 100% the opposite of gentle. Horror...

lapushka
May 5th, 2019, 03:47 AM
Some sulfate-free shampoos can lather, even the gentler ones.

Personally I see nothing wrong with this shampoo, but if you don't like it, try something else.

Joules
May 5th, 2019, 03:48 AM
Okay... thank you, I didn't know that. There was so much lather, the whole bath tub full, and I took the normal amount I take always. I mean, my hair was VERY clean afterwards, but my scalp hurt like I had washed it with muriatic acid or so...
It's written on the bottle that its 'Gentle Formula Prevents Breakage'... wow. This stuff is 100% the opposite of gentle. Horror...

Yeah, never trust what's written on shampoo bottles :) sulfates aren't bad unless you're allergic to them, so I'm inclined to not trust sulfate-free shampoos. They're either too mild and not cleansing enough for most people, or they use something even worse than regular sulfates.

If you want a gentle shampoo, look for those that have sodium laureth sulfate and cocamidopropyl betaine as detergents. No sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). It's quite a gentle combination, but it still cleanses hair and scalp decently. Like Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish (https://www.amazon.com/TRESemmé-Botanique-Shampoo-Nourish-Replenish/dp/B0199WNJE8) shampoo for example (I could give you more suggestions, but I have no idea what shampoos are available where you live)

Stardreamer
May 5th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Some sulfate-free shampoos can lather, even the gentler ones.

Personally I see nothing wrong with this shampoo, but if you don't like it, try something else.

What's wrong with lather? My shampoo has it, is it bad?

illicitlizard
May 5th, 2019, 10:19 PM

Lather is fine, some ingredients that cause masses of foam are too harsh for some people. If you've had no issues with your shampoo it's likely fine for you. I kinda hate it when shampoos don't foam up, the texture feels far nicer when they do...

Ylva
May 6th, 2019, 04:14 AM
Lather is fine, some ingredients that cause masses of foam are too harsh for some people. If you've had no issues with your shampoo it's likely fine for you. I kinda hate it when shampoos don't foam up, the texture feels far nicer when they do...

Me too - I find that I end up manipulating my hair more when they don't lather. But luckily there are different kinds of shampoos out there to accommodate every preference. :)

Begemot
May 6th, 2019, 04:18 AM
It feels like there's no shampoo in my hair at all if it doesn't foam. With that type of shampoos I just add more and more and scrub my hair too much :grin:

lapushka
May 6th, 2019, 05:34 AM

Nothing. As the other ladies said, it's preference. Like Ylva said, I find that the manipulation is bigger (far bigger) when there's no lather. Lather gives a *ton* of slip for you to be able to clean your hair properly and without much effort.

Wusel
May 6th, 2019, 09:04 AM
My problem with the lather was that it was very much, way too much, and very dense, thick, not little foam bubbles but like thick whipping cream. And it was very harsh and my scalp hurt afterwards. Like after putting acid on it. And the next day I had three pimples on my scalp. It was not normal shampoo lather. I gave it back. It costs 7,95 Euros here and so, I expected something much better. Especially when it's written 'gentle lather' on the bottle. And there was no slip at all. I had pudding on my head I couldn't really work with.

Astrid Carlisle
May 7th, 2019, 02:56 AM
Maybe you just need to use a smaller amount than usual, for this shampoo. So then you will get less lather?

Astrid Carlisle
May 7th, 2019, 02:57 AM
the next day I had three pimples on my scalp.

Oops I just saw that. Then maybe it's a ****ty shampoo

Wusel
May 7th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Maybe you just need to use a smaller amount than usual, for this shampoo. So then you will get less lather?

Yes, should have done that.