PDA

View Full Version : Gaps in hair

Cate36
May 4th, 2019, 11:39 PM
Since damaging my hair, the back lost a lot of volume. Now when I stand against light, the light shines through the length of my hair that hangs behind my shoulders and it really really upsets me.. I want to know if anyone else has this post damage/loss and how long it takes to recover? :( I'm three months into recovery...

Wusel
May 5th, 2019, 12:56 AM
I shed like hell regularly and lose up to 50% of my hair but I recover quite fast from it. 6 to 9 months and my hair looks fuller since the regrowth covers tha bald spots and lifts the old hairs. Don't worry, it will get better. Just be patient :)

Cate36
May 5th, 2019, 03:02 AM
thank you XX.. I really needed those words.. I know the longest bits will have to be micro trimmed, but was dearly hoping that it would thicken down to my shoulders.. it looks pretty much the same as it did Feb..

Wusel
May 5th, 2019, 03:17 AM
thank you XX.. I really needed those words.. I know the longest bits will have to be micro trimmed, but was dearly hoping that it would thicken down to my shoulders.. it looks pretty much the same as it did Feb..

Since February it's only 3 months, so, it's too early to see a major improvement. What I did after the last shed was giving me a chin length blunt cut bob. That helped a lot. You can see it on my channel here https: https://youtu.be/xPqy0r-IXHY This was 2 months after the chop already, so grown out 3,5cm (my hair grows that fast), the bald spots grew in and because the new hairs lifted the old hairs and it was cut straight without any layers my hair looks very thick there, even though my ponytail was VERY thin. Like half of what I usually have. And now it grows out and looks quite good, the short hairs lift the whole hair and it looks very thick. Here's how it looks now. https://youtu.be/B3tcsG1HLvE It takes time but for me the blunt cut helped a lot to make it look thicker while growing back. I don't know if this would be an option for you. It was for me because I wasn't so stressed seeing the gaps in my lengths.

lapushka
May 5th, 2019, 03:45 AM
Since damaging my hair, the back lost a lot of volume. Now when I stand against light, the light shines through the length of my hair that hangs behind my shoulders and it really really upsets me.. I want to know if anyone else has this post damage/loss and how long it takes to recover? :( I'm three months into recovery...

3 months is a little short on time for damage to recover. You might want to think about 1 year at least. I know how it was when I recovered from bald patches when I was 13/14 years old.

Have a little more patience, Cate! Maybe it's easy to say, but I have been there. It takes *time*!

Cate36
May 5th, 2019, 03:48 AM
TY.. no bald spots.. just.. thin on the length... but you can see it around my neck.. it's scary still to look at.. scary when I wash my hair and feel it.. I'm getting stronger inside, I do affirmations on it every day like a mantra.. that helps me get through.. but it's been a long journey.... I just keep praying it will fully recover in time.. X

lapushka
May 5th, 2019, 04:54 AM
TY.. no bald spots.. just.. thin on the length... but you can see it around my neck.. it's scary still to look at.. scary when I wash my hair and feel it.. I'm getting stronger inside, I do affirmations on it every day like a mantra.. that helps me get through.. but it's been a long journey.... I just keep praying it will fully recover in time.. X

That sounds like your hair is very, very important to you. Maybe try and deter your attention from it by exerting some of your energy other ways. Like putting attention towards your hobbies or something like that. :flower:

milosmomma
May 5th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Maybe join a "wear it up" challenge? Like everyone else said it's going to take a good while to see the new hair travel down and fill in the thinner spots. If you wear it in a bun/twist for a month and then look and compare you will see much more improvement than if you look every morning and inspect the thinner areas. Hoping you and your hair quick recovery aand send you good hair vibes! I'm sorry you have to deal with the hair issues and hope they come to a speedy recovery.

lapushka
May 5th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Maybe join a "wear it up" challenge? Like everyone else said it's going to take a good while to see the new hair travel down and fill in the thinner spots. If you wear it in a bun/twist for a month and then look and compare you will see much more improvement than if you look every morning and inspect the thinner areas. Hoping you and your hair quick recovery aand send you good hair vibes! I'm sorry you have to deal with the hair issues and hope they come to a speedy recovery.

Very good idea, milosmomma! I agree. Out of sight is out of mind. What you can't see, you can't worry over. And that is a lot if you tend to "focus" on the damage and how it's going.

Happy growing & good luck, Cate!

Cate36
May 6th, 2019, 01:39 AM
Thank you.. The thing is, my hair used to hang as a curtain over my shoulders.. now the light shines though...do you know what I mean? I'm reluctant to tie it up as I don't want to put anything in my hair that may pull at the root... so... I'll keep going I think.. and meditate on it to try and relax myself.. :( X

Lisa Long4Life
May 6th, 2019, 04:36 AM
Mine was like this, I was at hip length but thin at the ends. I tried small trims and waiting for it to catch up but it wasn't getting there so I ended up cutting off about 4" back to just above waist length and it looks better.

https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53684100_10156311871508435_3765029345979006976_n.j pg

https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53684100_10156311871508435_3765029345979006976_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn2-1.fna&oh=353f30db579d10f92e771648ba2bc9ac&oe=5D5BEF3B

That was in March so it's just below waist length now.

BerrySara
May 6th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Mine was like this, I was at hip length but thin at the ends. I tried small trims and waiting for it to catch up but it wasn't getting there so I ended up cutting off about 4" back to just above waist length and it looks better.

https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53684100_10156311871508435_3765029345979006976_n.j pg

https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53684100_10156311871508435_3765029345979006976_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn2-1.fna&oh=353f30db579d10f92e771648ba2bc9ac&oe=5D5BEF3B

That was in March so it's just below waist length now.

That looks really great Lisa Long4Life, that's a really nice improvement! Your hair is lovely in either photos but sometimes its worth cutting off some length if the ends are bothering one.

Lisa Long4Life
May 6th, 2019, 12:22 PM
Thanks. I haven't missed it too much :) I think waist length is my sweet spot, I am happy at around there. If I can't get it to grow beyond hip I will keep it between the 2.

Deborah
May 6th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Wow Lisa, those four inches made a really beautiful difference. Great choice.:flower:

spidermom
May 7th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Good result, Lisa L4L.

Cate36
May 7th, 2019, 02:34 AM
Looks good.. I'm not willing to cut any off, so waiting it out re the ends.. :) But your hair looks beautiful!

Cate36
May 21st, 2019, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone - searching for information on this again. I'm not sure if people on this thread know what I am referring to.. I found another thread on the forum with exactly the same title by a Heavy Raindrops that doesn't seem to be around any more? A few things.. I am not losing hair.. the hair on my scalp is good.. but obviously I have been through a lot since Jan. Recovery started in Feb.. and I have lost a lot of volume.. and it needs to recover.. I stopped using conditioner, which actually helped! I now just use a very gentle shampoo, wash every other day with cold water, and us a very very mild leave in. The issue is the hair as it hangs at the back of my neck. Obviously the breakage has caused it to become thin at the ends (I'm at tailbone), but I can accept that.. I just want it to look thick around my neck.. as it is, the hair clumps together .. in waves.. and therefore, if I stand against light behind me, it looks mega thin as there are a lot of gaps in-between the clumps. I never noticed it so much before.
I have just moved house, and the mirrors in my apartment all have a light backdrop which accentuates it.. and it is affecting my confidence so so much.
My fears are that my hair won't recover thickness.. I hope it will because I am doing everything possible to assist in diet, care, scalp care, vitamins, herbs etc etc.. I exercise every day, and say mantras daily on my hair (yes folks, I'm obsessive, as some of you who know me are aware :) .)
I am wondering if anyone else has this.. understands what I am talking about..I wanted to post an image I found online that demonstrates what I mean but on my PC when I click on the link from the google image search, it doesn't show the pictures.. https://layersmagazine.com/fixing-gaps-in-hair.html
Can anyone see them on the link above? If not, I'll copy/save the picture and post here (how do I post pictures on this thread? Am I allowed to do that yet? Cannot see how to do it from this message box.. Xx Love you all X

maborosi
May 21st, 2019, 09:42 PM
Three months isn't that long to really recover from damaging habits- what all were you doing? Chemical, heat, mechanical damage?
For most people, that's about 1.5" worth of growth, which won't affect your thickness even at the nape of your neck that much.

I'd honestly say just carry on with your good habits and routine that you've found, and try putting your hair in protective styles and ignoring it for a while.

Cate36
May 21st, 2019, 09:50 PM
Three months isn't that long to really recover from damaging habits- what all were you doing? Chemical, heat, mechanical damage?
For most people, that's about 1.5" worth of growth, which won't affect your thickness even at the nape of your neck that much.

I'd honestly say just carry on with your good habits and routine that you've found, and try putting your hair in protective styles and ignoring it for a while.

Long story.. It started when I tried to rip henna out my hair with over use of colour removers.. causing a lot of breakage.. but that was only the start.. the stress/panic/poor advice triggered a greater disaster. Thankfully on the road to recovery now.. I guess it's a long road ahead :( X

maborosi
May 21st, 2019, 10:12 PM
Oh man, that's rough. I'm really sorry to hear that.

In some ways, yeah, it's a long road, but really just being gentle and letting your hair do its thing is the best thing you can do for it, I think.

Wusel
May 22nd, 2019, 01:03 AM
Have another adivice: :) Do it like I do it. Imagine yourself in 12 months with beautiful, thick hair and try looking forward to it. I have counted the months till In reach my fav length (waist) again and am looking forward to it. Happily, like looking forward to a great vacation or buying a new car when you are saving for it. It works for me. And until then I enjoy what I have, enjoy having shorter hair and being able to do hairstyles I won't be able to do when it's waist long.
I also enjoy having more time now... because my hair tangles so easily that I used to spend an hour daily to detangle it when it was waist long.
There is also positive sides of having thinner hair. For me, when it was thinner I finally got the chance to give me a short bob (which I always wanted) because when it's my normal thickness, like it is now, there is no way I can have that short hair. I'm sure you can do some interesting updos with your thinner hair now which you won't be able to do when it's thick. So, find out, wear it up and be patient. :)

Henrietta
May 22nd, 2019, 01:33 AM
I've scanned the thread and I haven't seen it mentioned, so: have you tried scalp treatments? Herbal ones can be great, as long as you really use the conscientiously, before and/or after every wash. You have to decide if your scalp likes the ones that are based on alcohol or those that are alcohol free.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone - searching for information on this again. I'm not sure if people on this thread know what I am referring to.. I found another thread on the forum with exactly the same title by a Heavy Raindrops that doesn't seem to be around any more? A few things.. I am not losing hair.. the hair on my scalp is good.. but obviously I have been through a lot since Jan. Recovery started in Feb.. and I have lost a lot of volume.. and it needs to recover.. I stopped using conditioner, which actually helped! I now just use a very gentle shampoo, wash every other day with cold water, and us a very very mild leave in. The issue is the hair as it hangs at the back of my neck. Obviously the breakage has caused it to become thin at the ends (I'm at tailbone), but I can accept that.. I just want it to look thick around my neck.. as it is, the hair clumps together .. in waves.. and therefore, if I stand against light behind me, it looks mega thin as there are a lot of gaps in-between the clumps. I never noticed it so much before.
I have just moved house, and the mirrors in my apartment all have a light backdrop which accentuates it.. and it is affecting my confidence so so much.
My fears are that my hair won't recover thickness.. I hope it will because I am doing everything possible to assist in diet, care, scalp care, vitamins, herbs etc etc.. I exercise every day, and say mantras daily on my hair (yes folks, I'm obsessive, as some of you who know me are aware :) .)
I am wondering if anyone else has this.. understands what I am talking about..I wanted to post an image I found online that demonstrates what I mean but on my PC when I click on the link from the google image search, it doesn't show the pictures.. https://layersmagazine.com/fixing-gaps-in-hair.html
Can anyone see them on the link above? If not, I'll copy/save the picture and post here (how do I post pictures on this thread? Am I allowed to do that yet? Cannot see how to do it from this message box.. Xx Love you all X

I think maybe the mirrors and the better looks at the back of your head are putting this stress on you? You just recently posted about the damage, but from then until now, not that much can have changed. It is a matter of continued patience; a few months is a good starting point, but the road to recovery is a long one. Give it at least 1 to 2 years. And don't do stuff on impulse in the mean time. Benign neglect is the best thing you can do for your hair. As little manipulation as humanly possible. Good luck! :flower:

Liz_H
May 23rd, 2019, 07:11 PM
At the nape of your neck, your hair is still damaged. It will take 5 to 8 inches of growth before you have mostly new hair at your neck. It should be significantly improved by September, though not back to normal fullness until about February. You could take a photo now, and only look at it every 3 months. That's a better comparison than what you see every day. Someone with more experience may suggest a different time frame.