View Full Version : EMF: another good reason to not use hair dryers!

November 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Magnetic fields are measured in milligauss, and your exposure to them multiplies exponentially with your proximity. For instance, if youíre standing 4 feet from your microwave while itís busy nuking fishsticks, youíre getting between 3 and 8 milligauss. At 12 inches, itís up to 80. And if youíre standing at the entirely unreasonable distance of 1.2 inches from your microwave, itís arguably nuking you, too, with up to 2,000 milligauss.
But is that a lot? For comparisonís sake, here are the 1.2 inch exposures of other household appliances:
Clothes washer: 400
Electric range: 2,000
Flourescent lamp: 4,000
Television: 500
Hair dryer: up to 20,000

Considering that a hair dryer can be five times stronger than a microwave, and youíre much more likely to hold one just inches from your head, perhaps thereís reason to limit exposure. (But keep in mind, exposure drops off radically with distance: at 12 inches, that same hair dryerís only giving you 70 milligauss.)
Another bit of comparison: if youíre standing directly under heavy-duty buzzing power transmission lines, youíre only receiving about 300 milligauss ó the equivalent of sitting on top of your washing machine while itís on its spin cycle.

November 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Wow i never knew that- i did know that the decibel volume can eventually cause some hearing loss if used enough.
cool info

November 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I didn't know about the EMF, but did know about the hearing loss, especially to the right ear of right handed women and left to left handed women. Strange but true.

November 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Oops, I thought this was about that EMF band from the 90's-- you know, the song "You're Unbelievable."

Nevermind me...

November 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Well that's okay, 'cause I despise blow dryers :D
I advise everyone not to use them if they want good hair (and hearing, now) :P

November 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM

November 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hee, we used to have fun in lab putting oscilloscope probes on our temples and reading our 'brain waves' which were really just 60 Hz sine waves from the overheads.


What harms exactly do exposure to a 60Hz magnetic field pose? Now I'm curious (as I sit here surrounded by at least 8 different pieces if electronic gear.)

November 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hmmm. Learn something new every day. That's interesting. So blowdryers can be carcinogenic? :confused: Maybe I do in fact need a better option for the cold wet head/sickness dilemma...