PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use flaxseed gel to wash their hair?

H.e.L
May 4th, 2019, 11:30 PM
I've just started using flaxseed mucilage as my primary hair/scalp cleanser of choice. (Just the last couple washes.)
I love how easy it is to make, and how gentle and nourishing it feels. I want to continue using this as my primary method of cleansing, but I'm paranoid I'm going to run into an unforeseen issue.

If you have (or still do) use flaxseed gel to wash your hair, what else did/do you use on your hair?
Example: do you wash with flaxseed gel, then do a vinegar rinse?
Do you use regular conditioner?
Do you oil, and if so with what?
What problems did you come up against, and how did you solve them?
Or did you eventually change methods?
If so, why?

I'm a busy stay at home mom with 2 toddlers, so I need some help idiot-proofing this for myself, hahaha.

Thanks in advance!

Wusel
May 5th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Interesting. I have bought a bag of flaxseeds to try the same. Hopefully someone has experience and tells us :)

H.e.L
May 5th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Here's hoping!
I could only find two threads where people on here were discussing it, and even then they weren't mentioning the specifics of their washing/conditioning routine.
The other thread I found they were mostly discussing flaxseed mucilage as hair gel, not as their no-poo medium of choice.

AutobotsAttack
May 5th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I used to whip up my own flaxseed Gel a lot. Back when I liked doing wash n Gos, and did the plopping method everyday.
I stopped completely using flaxseed Gel because I was getting tired of how crunchy it made my hair. I was getting breakage every time I tried to break that Gel cast. You can add an oil if you’re finding it does that to your hair too.

I also stopped using it because it would set my scalp on fire. Idk what the active component in natural flaxseed Gel is, but it doesn’t vibe at all with my scalp.

I washed with it a few times and the same thing happened. Hugh scalp flareup. Only thing I can think that may or may not help it would be to mix up a peppermint oil with it, and the. Wash/rinse to keep my scalp calm. For what it’s worth you could try that if you run into scalp issues, or just wanna boost your wash days.

That’s all I really have to comment on concerning flaxseed Gel.

H.e.L
May 5th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Thank you for responding!
I haven't had any scalp irritation from it, but I rinse it pretty much all the way out so maybe that's why. I'll keep an eye on my scalp health while using it.
Thanks for the tips!

H.e.L
March 29th, 2021, 02:45 PM
So this is a tiny thread, abandoned a year ago, and it can stay that way if it's not something people are interested in interacting with. But just in case anyone cares or is curious, here's my 1-year results:
I found I could not use flaxseed gel by itself to sufficiently wash my hair, so I added soapwort to the flaxseed while making the gel and that works AMAZINGLY well. My hair gets perfectly clean, and it's so well nourished I almost never have to add oil. Also, because of the gel texture its really easy to use.
My hair is SO soft and SO manageable, and SO smoothed (by which I mean it basically never gets frizzy.)
What I do is:

INGREDIENTS:
• 3 Tbsp fresh (or 1Tbsp dried) Soapwort per cup water
• 6 cups water (calculate to fill your preferred container)
• ⅓ to ½ cups flaxseeds (for the abovementioned 6 cups, depending on your desired thickness.)

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
• 1 Tbsp each other hair herbs for scent/other benefits (I add marshmallow, horsetail, nettle, lavender, & rosemary)
• 5 drops of any desired essential oils

DIRECTIONS:
1) Boil the water
2) Add the soapwort, flaxseed, herbs
3) Cover the pot and lower temp to allow a consistent gentle simmer (15min for fresh soapwort, 20min for dried.) Stir occasionally.
4) Leave to cool (add essential oils, if desired, when the gel is room temperature)
5) Strain with nylons/cheesecloth/fine-mesh sieve (depending on gel thickness)
6) Freeze excess in 1oz ice cube trays
7) Thaw 2 ice cubes per shampoo, I do this once per week.

OBVIOUSLY YMMV.
Treat each unfamiliar ingredient with all due caution in case of skin sensitivities/allergies.
If you read this and end up trying it, I'm interested to hear about your experience.
Good luck, and thank you for your time!

Jane99
March 29th, 2021, 04:34 PM
This is super interesting! Thanks for sharing. I have a soapwort growing in my yard and maybe once it’s broken winter dormancy I’ll try your recipe :)