PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends

LillyoftheValie
May 4th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Hello all.

I started my healthy growing of my hair last May (Shoulder length) and I am now between armpit and bra strap. No heat, no colour in my hair, and wash once a week, oil before washing with coconut oil. Wore my hair up with claw clip almost everyday until recently. I have noticed split ends forming, even after some trims- any advice?

Ylva
May 4th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Sometimes split ends just happen. I know I have them, I just trim regularly (can be very small amounts, like less than 0.5 cm) and whatever is left after that, I just ignore. You don't necessarily need to do anything about them, but you can S&D (search and destroy, as in cut off individual split ends without trimming all of your hair) them out with good, sharp hair scissors if you want.

LillyoftheValie
May 4th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Sometimes split ends just happen. I know I have them, I just trim regularly (can be very small amounts, like less than 0.5 cm) and whatever is left after that, I just ignore. You don't necessarily need to do anything about them, but you can S&D (search and destroy, as in cut off individual split ends without trimming all of your hair) them out with good, sharp hair scissors if you want.

Thanks! I have been doing that with the individual hair trims. I also want to start wearing my hair down 3/7 days of the week, hopefully thats ok

Ylva
May 4th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks! I have been doing that with the individual hair trims. I also want to start wearing my hair down 3/7 days of the week, hopefully thats ok

See how your hair fares and judge based on that. What's your goal length?

milosmomma
May 4th, 2019, 08:01 PM
I'm growing out my natural no bleach no dye no heat and I have them as well. I dont think you can stop them all together but you can limit then with protective styles and products. Do you use any other oils besides coconut? You could probably use a lighter oil to protect your ends on days you wear down but coconut may be too heavy. Another option is the ROO method, I feel like it adds a lit if moisture for me anyways. Dryness can cause splits as well as mechanical damage from wearing it down. If you're not opposed to silicones, a serum would be suited to coat your ends and protect a bit from friction. I would just check in with your ends and make sure they're handling it ok.

lapushka
May 6th, 2019, 05:01 PM
If it is just a few, there is no need to trim, just S&D (search & destroy) them out. It is a method - you just take the individual split(s) & cut a tiny bit above the split end. No more split(s). There you go!