PDA

View Full Version : How do I conquer my fine, frizzy hair?

technowitch
May 3rd, 2019, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry that my first post is me asking for help; but, I regret to admit that I have grown desperate in my longing for soft, smooth hair.

When I was a teenager, I never had frizz problems like this. Shortly after high school, my hair started getting crazy frizzy. I thought this was odd because I stopped straightening my hair and stopped using chemical dyes. I had a fresh head of hair that had never been dyed and was rarely subjected to a straightener; yet, my hair had become so frizzy, it looked like straw.

I feel like I've tried everything I can find when it comes to frizz... and while I have made minor improvements, my hair still looks like a mess. I have short frizzy hairs all over my head, and the lower half of my strands looks like straw, splitting out and fraying. My hair is super fine and has a tiny bit of a wave to it - a wave which I have been trying to embrace. My hair feels so silky and soft to the touch and brushes/combs with ease, but looks horribly dry and frizzy.

I guess I shouldn't get so emotional over hair; but, I feel like my hair is so much of my identity, especially since I started coloring it red again (henna) and I am growing it long for the first time in my life. I get so discouraged looking at my hair and seeing something that looks so unhealthy.

Please, anyone, if you have advice for me, I'll try anything.

Here are some photos of what my hair looks like. (https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/748b079d-4bb2-4197-95f2-053cbb53ef79/dd63a74-7931cb40-a1c6-4c89-a605-e028248e8261.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzc0OGIwNzlkLTRiYjItNDE5Ny05NW YyLTA1M2NiYjUzZWY3OVwvZGQ2M2E3NC03OTMxY2I0MC1hMWM2 LTRjODktYTYwNS1lMDI4MjQ4ZTgyNjEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.t97B4R7r Mgo_hVhU6n-n0nbyoos71OE3mIuclY3w6pA) Sorry my camera isn't very good.

Here are things I've tried thus far:

I switched to a micro fiber towel years ago. I am careful to squeeze rather than drag it along my hair.
I tried the whole "never brush your hair" thing, one of the suggested "curly girl methods". My hair still dried frizzy, but also looked like a rats nest. So, skipping the brush didn't prevent the frizz.
I've tried many different leave in conditioners and curling milks and curl enhancers and frizz eliminators and serums and dry oils and they either make no difference OR are way too heavy for my hair and leave me with that greasy, wet look.

I tried Devacurl's wavy shampoo and conditioner and hated it. My hair was so gunky and waxy and limp.
I've done the curly girl method's "squish" techniques with leave in products. My hair still dries frizzy.
I NEVER use blow dryers or curling rods or straighteners or any hot tools. I do, however, shower in hot water. I've tried washing my hair with cold water and it made no difference.

I tried a shower head filter... also no difference.
I tried apple cider vinegar rinses and lemon rinses for "clarifying". My hair was still frizzy, but also limp and crunchy.
I've tried multiple oil pre-shampoo treatments. I'll never do coconut oil again. It made my hair so gunky and weighed down that I had to wash aggressively with shampoo to get it out. My hair seems to hate coconut oil - something everyone and their mother recommends. I've tried argan and olive and jojoba. None of these oil treatments seem to do me any good. I don't think my hair absorbs them at all.

I've tried many different hair masks and deep conditioners and none of them do me any good. Some even manage to make my hair look worse.
I color my hair religiously with henna; however, I had frizz issues long before henna.
I wash my hair every other day. I tried only washing once or twice a week and couldn't do it. My hair gets way too greasy. Not just my roots - I do have organic dry shampoo - but even my strands, everything gets greasy and gunky and flat very quickly. I don't think weekly washing works for my hair type.

I also tried a boar bristle brush - a lot of people say it moves the oil down from your scalp to naturally conditioner your hair. I thought this might help my strands look healthier and redistribute my oil so I look less greasy on top. WRONG! It didn't seem to distribute my oil, but multiple it. My hair was so greasy and gross when I used that brush. It also made my hair smell bad.
Even though I sleep on a satin pillow case, I also started putting my hair in a satin night cap when I sleep - I started doing this about a year ago. I don't think that helped my frizz at all - but, my hair would get so limp when I slept... It would look like I rolled over it with rubber tires - would just get so flat and ghastly looking.

Sorry for the long post...

technowitch
May 3rd, 2019, 06:00 PM
Sorry I have no idea why the post ended up green and with different font sizes... It definitely didn't look like that while I was typing it out.

MusicalSpoons
May 3rd, 2019, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Um, I don't have many suggestions right now, as I have frizzy hair and especially after washing, though it does calm down somewhat given time (photos can be found here: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149323&page=4&p=3662124&viewfull=1#post3662124) It almost seems that the healthier and more moisturised my hair is, the frizzier it is!

My first question is, do you brush with your hair wet, damp, or dry?

How long has it been since you stopped dyeing and straightening your hair?

If oils pre-poo don't help, maybe you could try CWC: condition - wash (with shampoo) - condition. There's also a method known here as 'rinse-out oil' which many of us have found works really well even though we didn't get on so well with ordinary oiling.
I CWC, putting the first C on an hour or so before I get in the shower, so basically pre-poo with conditioner :) but that length of time is not always necessary, just trying CWC might make all the difference for you.

What shampoo and conditioner do you use? I'm just wondering if your shampoo has silicones and your hair doesn't like it, OR your conditioner is silicone-heavy and your shampoo isn't getting it all out ... I don't know how much that would explain frizz, though :hmm: maybe more moisture or protein is needed, perhaps.

Cold water won't do much except make you freeze. Warm water is better than hot, and better than cold because it needs to be warm enough to get all of the product out. (I do understand preferring hot showers though, truly! I often find it hard to warm up due to chronic illness, and we don't have heating yet apart from an electric heater in my bedroom and one downstairs - so no heat in the bathroom :wail:)

Oh yeah, BBB didn't work for me, either, just turns my hair into an oil slick. I experimented with scritching and preening one week without washing, and managed to move some oil down to about shoulder-length manually. The furthest it ever got with the BBB was ear/jaw length.

Some hair is naturally frizzy, but the strawness and splitting are signs that your hair is not happy. Hopefully we can help you troubleshoot and start to fix whatever the problem is :)

Edit: when your posts come out weird, before you have the ability to edit, you can 'report' the post using the triangle button just underneath it and ask the mods to fix the colour and sizing if you want :)

technowitch
May 3rd, 2019, 07:23 PM
Hi MusicalSpoons! Thanks for your reply ♥

If my memory is correct, I stopped dyeing and straightening around 2012. So, this is a full head of hair that is untouched by chemical dyes. However, I do color my hair with henna, which I started about a year ago. But, I was fighting frizz long before. I have a photo of my hair before I started using henna - when I was at my worst - and I look like a hay monster.

I've experimented with brushing in different ways. I've tried avoiding brushing entirely. I've tried only brushing after my hair is dry. I don't see any difference no matter when I brush. Most of the time, I brush after I get my curling cream and detanglers in.

I've never heard of the rinse out oil method. Next time I shower, I'll give it a try! If I understand correctly, it appears that the advice is to use it in the shower after shampoo and then follow with conditioner?

I was using Redken for the past couple months. I recently switched to Shea Moisture because I wanted to see if it helped, but I am contemplating returning them since they don't seem to be any better than the Redken products.

Cate36
May 3rd, 2019, 10:27 PM
Your hair looks totally normal to me. My experience only.. but I think henna in hair does make the frizz stand out a little more. Everyone has frizz to some extent (yours looks normal to me),.. basically hair is all different lengths as it goes through its cycle.. so in sunlight, or when artificial light sines on it, it can highlight the hairs that are different lengths and these do stick out slightly. IME Henna has a way of reflecting the light to make them more noticeable. I don't think there is much you can do other than perhaps get a very good serum to smooth over your hair. I find I have less frizz when I use olaplex pre a wash, and avoid brushing too much. I don't think your hair looks thin or that frizzy.... I think maybe you are over focused on it (which we all are when it comes to our hair - me especially :) ) and noticing things that others would not be aware of... If you had not mentioned "frizz".. I would have looked at your photos and thought a) your hair looks thick, and b) what a nice colour and wave it had!

sumidha
May 3rd, 2019, 10:58 PM
What's your climate like? The only thing I can think to try that's not on your list is humectants.

bleu
May 3rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
Have you seen a doc about this? Frizzy, dry hair can sometimes be a symptom of metabolic or other issues. I'd get medical problems ruled out before considering any other cause.

Kalamazoo
May 4th, 2019, 01:20 AM
Humectants. I've read that what they do is move moisture from damper places to drier ones. So, if the relative humidity's high, putting a humectant on your hair will draw moisture in; whereas, if you're in the desert, putting the same humectant on your hair will dry it out, since then, the humectant's busy relocating the humidity in your hair out into the atmosphere.

So, from your own observations, does your hair need to be moister or drier? Then consider the atmosphere & mitigating factors (such as, "Outdoors, it's hot & humid, so everybody runs the air conditioner on full blast, which makes the indoor air extremely dry, & I'm inside all day, so I need to figure I'm in the Sahara!"). So is a humectant a good idea for you, in your situation, today, or not?

I think your frizz looks a tad on the dry side.

Maybe the solution might be to get your hair a very tiny bit damp, and then seal in that moisture with an exceedingly miniscule amount of oil?

Also, avoid plastic combs & brushes like the plague, since they cause static electricity when dragged through the hair, which in turn produces frizz, split ends, & breakage. (The last BBB I had, had hard, spiky, plastic bristles among the boar bristles, I guess to give more strength to the boar bristles? I discarded it.) I've been able to buy both wooden and horn combs (I don't use brushes these days.) very cheaply on eBay, even though I can't find them in any brick-and-mortar stores around here. If you only have plastic combs, I'd suggest not using them & finger-combing instead.

So, hopefully, you can try that out without spending a penny.

technowitch
May 4th, 2019, 12:07 PM
@Cate36: Thank you for your compliments ♥ I do see where you're coming from with the henna. While I love henna, one big negative is the inconsistency with the color. I'll research the olaplex.

@sumidha: I live in Phoenix, Arizona. So, it's very dry here, rarely ever humid. I considered the humectants, since it was something I read about, but a few things made me nervous to try it. For one, I don't live in a humid environment and, I'm afraid that it'll be way too heavy for my hair type.

@bleu: I've had multiple well woman's exams since I started having frizz problems, but the doctors never seemed concerned. I saw a dermatologist a few months ago because I was afraid I was in the early stages of hair loss. My scalp seemed really noticable and I never felt like it was like this before. She brushed me off and basically said I was being paranoid, without flat out saying that. (I was using function of beauty at the time - I stopped and my scalp looks much better now) I don't like going to doctors. Aside from the fact that it's expensive, in my experience, doctors don't care about things they consider cosmedic. I have no doubts I would be brushed off.

@Kalamazoo: I've tried using oil as a leave-in many times and it never works out. Even if I use the tiniest amount, it just sits on the surface of my hair like gasoline on pavement. I do have a bunch of bamboo wood combs. I also use the Denman brush. I was attracted to it because I saw all sorts of curly haired girls using it.

I showered this morning and tried a different approach (as reccomended by MusicalSpoons)...

I conditioned, then shampooed, than rubbed in some argan oil, waited a bit, washed it out, conditioned again, waited a bit, washed it out. My ends still look thirsty and I have some floof frizz going on, but my hair doesn't look as stringy. Not sure if this is good or bad yet. I'll keep it up and see if I notice improvements with time.

Here are the photos (https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/748b079d-4bb2-4197-95f2-053cbb53ef79/dd659n4-f7acac5b-981c-477b-bfcd-1b0685cbc8a1.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzc0OGIwNzlkLTRiYjItNDE5Ny05NW YyLTA1M2NiYjUzZWY3OVwvZGQ2NTluNC1mN2FjYWM1Yi05ODFj LTQ3N2ItYmZjZC0xYjA2ODVjYmM4YTEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.93JC55cq PKoP4Z64PaycEnw1v_qzLlgRY2npJc4y_t0)

Thank you so much for all your responses everyone! It means a lot to me ♥

GrowinIt
May 4th, 2019, 12:18 PM
You seem to have some short frizz are showing up on the top section in the first pictures. The rest of the hair looks quite good in my opinion. Might just require some sort of frizz tamer product or maybe that argan oil that you mentioned you had used, to help the frizzy shorter hairs stick to the other longer hairs. Or that pre wash oiling seems to have worked for you, hmm now I want to try it =).

gingerninja
May 4th, 2019, 12:30 PM
What Is your hair texture? As your description sounds exactly like my hair not damaged but just coarse textured and resistant to moisturizing.

Panthera
May 4th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Looks like you get more frizz around your scalp than the lengths. Maybe the shampoo you're using is a bit too harsh or you might have some products left in your hair, are you sure you're rinsing the shampoo out completely?

Jo Ann
May 4th, 2019, 12:33 PM
The LOC/LCO thread might help you out, TW: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167

In such a dry climate, you need to lock as much moisture into your hair as possible. A light hair serum (some here swear by Biosilk's hair serum) or aloe vera gel (the straight stuff, NOT anything containing alcohol!) might help contain any frizzies.

cjk
May 4th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Take a look around this forum, especially the bedhead thread. what you'll notice is that each of us is our own worst enemy.

You say frizz, others say volume.

I'm going to suggest two things.

Real frizz is often hair calling out for moisture. So condition. And if the conditioner isn't doing its job either try a different brand or try a clarifying shampoo to strip any coatings. Then condition afterwards. half the threads around here have to do with ways to get moisture into your hair. Someone else mentioned the loc thread, definitely read that too.

And the second suggestion is a little bit of an attitude shift. I've found, myself, that working with my hair instead of trying to conquer it provides better results. I don't fight it anymore.

Servana
May 4th, 2019, 04:00 PM
I really don't think your hair is that frizzy. It's less frizzy than mine and the thing is you can use all the leave-in conditioners, oils and other frizz-taming products you want but often it will only make a small difference. Your hair type looks like mine. I am 2A and I have thick unruly Balkan hair. It's just my hair type.

Unless you have super silky 1A hair, typically you will have some frizz. And the more texture you have, typically the more frizz-prone you are.

Things like cold water rinses and post-shower oil will help but at the end of the day you may just have naturally fluffy hair like mine and there's nothing wrong with that.

lapushka
May 4th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Your pictures do not look frizzy at all; that's what hair looks like. Those "bits" are hair constantly growing in. You can smooth over it with a serum or an oil, just a few drops, rub palms together, then lightly smoothed over the entire head.

Hair = not Pantene hair. That's not hair!

The oil rinse method is in my signature, and the LOC/LCO method as well, should you want those links.

Looks like your hair might be 1b/c, even 1c. If those are hairtyping pictures.

MusicalSpoons
May 4th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Glad the ROO helped a bit! :D Most people see cumulative improvements if their hair likes it, so definitely stick with it to see. Your ends do look fluffier and smoother in the second lot of photos :) very pretty, I must say!

Yeah no, don't use humectants in your dry climate. Humectants include honey, glycerin, aloe vera, etc - I don't know if Shea Moisture or Redken tend to include humectants or not. I'd recommend looking at the ingredients just to see what you're dealing with.

One thing that occurs to me is protein - if your hair is feeling dry and protein is in your products (I don't know for sure but I think they might have; Redken is a brand that comes to mind for protein) it might be too much and need more moisture. Protein overload tends to make hair feel dry and brittle, and maybe even start breaking off if it's very overloaded.

I don't know how brushing works after putting in styling products, but the reason I asked is that some hair doesn't do well with damp brushing, only completely soaked and with conditioner, or completely dry. I know mine just tangles and stretches if I try to get a comb through it before it's completely dry, and doing that kind of damage wouldn't help. However every head of hair is different, plus you use styling products so I can't really advise. Have you tried combing (with a completely seamless, even wide-toothed comb) instead of brushing? That's helped a lot of us. Also *how* you comb/brush makes a huge difference; it's best to start from the bottom to gently get tangles out, stopping to gently pull tangles apart with your fingers before resuming with the comb/brush.

(lapushka I doubt those are hairtyping pics as OP says she brushes, and it looks pretty smooth in those pics! None of the clumps you'd expect from untouched hair.)

Btw OP if you did want to find out your hairtype you can find the instructions in this thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252
For some people it's massively important to know exactly what they're dealing with; for others it's virtually irrelevant :shrug: It really depends on whether you're bothered about finding out right now or not :)

lapushka
May 4th, 2019, 04:45 PM
(lapushka I doubt those are hairtyping pics as OP says she brushes, and it looks pretty smooth in those pics! None of the clumps you'd expect from untouched hair.)

We'll have to ask OP. ;)

Kalamazoo
May 4th, 2019, 08:09 PM
You know, technowitch? I think your new pictures look very pretty indeed!

I think it's impotant to remember that you're a real woman, with real hair. You're not a plastic Barbie doll with mechanically perfect plastic hair. You're much prettier than that! Real hair has "flaws", "imperfections", gradations of color, changes in texture. Those variations are the stuff beauty's made of.

Your hair's gorgeous! :agape:

sumidha
May 5th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I have a super dry, humidity free climate and my hair still likes humectants, however, your hair looks fine in the first set of photos and lovely in the second, so it seems like you've found something that works for you. :)

Groovy Granny
May 5th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I agree with possible new growth in the crown area (yay) ... the rest of your hair looks fine, and very pretty as I mentioned before.

I love my BBB version of the Vented Wet Brush (https://www.amazon.com/Boar-Bristle-Hair-Brush-set/dp/B01D3Y6WFG/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwLKCmZOF4gIVAY_ICh1K5 wMEEAAYBCAAEgLZZvD_BwE&hvadid=324345204956&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001772&hvnetw=s&hvpos=1t4&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14615176935739442665&hvtargid=kwd-422381052859&hydadcr=4756_9597129&keywords=boar+bristle+vented+hair+brush&qid=1557085424&s=gateway&sr=8-3) to blend the new growth in.
Sometimes I spritz it with hairspray first, other times I use a serum or texture cream (it takes a personal trial with products).

I went through many months looking like that and it curled to boot on humid days lol (on those days a looser BOHO half up style helped hide them); now it has all grown longer and blends in on it's own.

New growth is cyclic and a GOOD thing....it helps in the long run to accept YOUR natural beauty and find ways to work with it .... not fight it :meditate:

Ylva
May 5th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I think it's impotant to remember that you're a real woman, with real hair. You're not a plastic Barbie doll with mechanically perfect plastic hair. You're much prettier than that! Real hair has "flaws", "imperfections", gradations of color, changes in texture. Those variations are the stuff beauty's made of.

Beautifully said! :)

milosmomma
May 5th, 2019, 06:24 PM
First off I think your hair looks absolutely gorgeous! It's 100% normal to have those unruly bits at the crown, and I agree with what has been mentioned that it's quite possible it is new growth trying to catch up to your lengths. I love the ROO method and think you should continue on with it. Experiment with different oils too, some have more sealing properties, while others will penetrate more but everyone's hair is individual and yours may have preferences for certain oils. LOC or LCO could benefit you as well, but if you said normal oiling of you lengths doesn't normally turn out well then maybe ROO is the answer. For my hair it usually doesn't need more than roo but I am in a more humid environment.

PallasAthena
May 6th, 2019, 11:31 PM
Hi, I live in Phoenix too! I agree with everyone who said your hair actually doesn't look that frizzy, but I do understand if it feels that way to you. Looking at your original post, I think you have already tried everything I would suggest, so maybe just consistency is key. I've been getting improved texture with a Jamaican Black Castor Oil pre-shampoo oiling, Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo and the same line leave-in. This has made my hair smoother than it's been since I was a kid.

Maybe check your porosity and then follow a regime for that. I think porosity is more important than texture when choosing hair care. Also, we have very hard water here, so if you aren't already, adding some sort of chelating wash or treatment every month or so may be beneficial.

Kalamazoo
May 14th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Beautifully said! :)

Thank you, Ylva.

Tinyponies
May 15th, 2019, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry that my first post is me asking for help; but, I regret to admit that I have grown desperate in my longing for soft, smooth hair.

When I was a teenager, I never had frizz problems like this. Shortly after high school, my hair started getting crazy frizzy. I thought this was odd because I stopped straightening my hair and stopped using chemical dyes. I had a fresh head of hair that had never been dyed and was rarely subjected to a straightener; yet, my hair had become so frizzy, it looked like straw.

I feel like I've tried everything I can find when it comes to frizz... and while I have made minor improvements, my hair still looks like a mess. I have short frizzy hairs all over my head, and the lower half of my strands looks like straw, splitting out and fraying. My hair is super fine and has a tiny bit of a wave to it - a wave which I have been trying to embrace. My hair feels so silky and soft to the touch and brushes/combs with ease, but looks horribly dry and frizzy.

I guess I shouldn't get so emotional over hair; but, I feel like my hair is so much of my identity, especially since I started coloring it red again (henna) and I am growing it long for the first time in my life. I get so discouraged looking at my hair and seeing something that looks so unhealthy.

Please, anyone, if you have advice for me, I'll try anything.

Here are some photos of what my hair looks like. (https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/748b079d-4bb2-4197-95f2-053cbb53ef79/dd63a74-7931cb40-a1c6-4c89-a605-e028248e8261.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJ IUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQz NzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZT BkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6 W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzc0OGIwNzlkLTRiYjItNDE5Ny05NW YyLTA1M2NiYjUzZWY3OVwvZGQ2M2E3NC03OTMxY2I0MC1hMWM2 LTRjODktYTYwNS1lMDI4MjQ4ZTgyNjEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIj pbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.t97B4R7r Mgo_hVhU6n-n0nbyoos71OE3mIuclY3w6pA) Sorry my camera isn't very good.

Here are things I've tried thus far:

I switched to a micro fiber towel years ago. I am careful to squeeze rather than drag it along my hair.
I tried the whole "never brush your hair" thing, one of the suggested "curly girl methods". My hair still dried frizzy, but also looked like a rats nest. So, skipping the brush didn't prevent the frizz.
I've tried many different leave in conditioners and curling milks and curl enhancers and frizz eliminators and serums and dry oils and they either make no difference OR are way too heavy for my hair and leave me with that greasy, wet look.

I tried Devacurl's wavy shampoo and conditioner and hated it. My hair was so gunky and waxy and limp.
I've done the curly girl method's "squish" techniques with leave in products. My hair still dries frizzy.
I NEVER use blow dryers or curling rods or straighteners or any hot tools. I do, however, shower in hot water. I've tried washing my hair with cold water and it made no difference.

I tried a shower head filter... also no difference.
I tried apple cider vinegar rinses and lemon rinses for "clarifying". My hair was still frizzy, but also limp and crunchy.
I've tried multiple oil pre-shampoo treatments. I'll never do coconut oil again. It made my hair so gunky and weighed down that I had to wash aggressively with shampoo to get it out. My hair seems to hate coconut oil - something everyone and their mother recommends. I've tried argan and olive and jojoba. None of these oil treatments seem to do me any good. I don't think my hair absorbs them at all.

I've tried many different hair masks and deep conditioners and none of them do me any good. Some even manage to make my hair look worse.
I color my hair religiously with henna; however, I had frizz issues long before henna.
I wash my hair every other day. I tried only washing once or twice a week and couldn't do it. My hair gets way too greasy. Not just my roots - I do have organic dry shampoo - but even my strands, everything gets greasy and gunky and flat very quickly. I don't think weekly washing works for my hair type.

I also tried a boar bristle brush - a lot of people say it moves the oil down from your scalp to naturally conditioner your hair. I thought this might help my strands look healthier and redistribute my oil so I look less greasy on top. WRONG! It didn't seem to distribute my oil, but multiple it. My hair was so greasy and gross when I used that brush. It also made my hair smell bad.
Even though I sleep on a satin pillow case, I also started putting my hair in a satin night cap when I sleep - I started doing this about a year ago. I don't think that helped my frizz at all - but, my hair would get so limp when I slept... It would look like I rolled over it with rubber tires - would just get so flat and ghastly looking.

Sorry for the long post...

Hi there! Just hopping in late - I just read the whole thread and there are lots of excellent suggestions. Your hair is beautiful, reminds me a lot of mine when I was younger.

One thing I don’t think (?) has been mentioned is wearing your hair up in protective styles. This has been a massive help to me, as it minimises tangles and subsequent need for detangling (I’ve gone from mats every day by my neck to nothing, no knots at all, by wearing a bun). It has also really helped to balance out and smooth the hair, as the lengths are tucked away next to each other and close to the oilier scalp hair.