PDA

View Full Version : protective hairstyle when excercising (male)

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hello, I have to admit I have stopped doing certain excercises such as running, because i can't think of a way to way my hair during running, (it would be simpler to wear a braid but i do not feel comfortable wearing a braid). I used to wear a simple ponytail but my hair is getting much longer so it gets very tangly, too tangly to keep it let down or in a ponytail. I tried a bun the other day but worry that this will cause much friction on my hair cuticles. I am in a bit of a dilema, maybe i will have to just stick with home weights? lol

Sherri
November 6th, 2008, 09:47 AM
You do not feel comfortable wearing a braid as in it hurts or as in you don't like the way it looks?

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
You do not feel comfortable wearing a braid as in it hurts or as in you don't like the way it looks?

I suppose i just don't feel comfortable with the way it looks, i have only just got comfortable wearing a bun, but being a young male in a big university I am not comfortable wearing a braid until it is at an extreme length.

mommy101405
November 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Could you do a banded ponytail? Just put it in a ponytail like you normally would. Then add a few more bands down the length the keep it from tangling.

harley mama
November 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I was going to suggest a banded pony tail, too. But, I think a braid would be the best way to keep the tangles at bay. Or, a bun covered by a do rag maybe.

spidermom
November 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Or take a leather shoelace thingy and criss-cross it down the length of your ponytail.

NightDaemon
November 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Second the banded tail idea. I wear one for my Taekwon-Do training, and if it can stand up to 115 kg bouncing around and doing flying kicks without tangling in the slightest, it should do well for you. I use about a palm-width seperation between each band, it's a nice consistent measure that doesn't require me to see the back of my head, and seems to do the job quite well. (I use this style for sleep, too, and I hit nary a tangle when I do fancy things with it in the morning.)

Leabhar
November 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
What's wrong with a bun? If you secure it properly it won't come loose on a run. You can use little jaw clips, or a stick. (I use a stick, personally).

Or you could try and do several small braids, and make a ponytail from the small braids.

pdy2kn6
November 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
i usually wear headband type things and wrap them around my bun, but i worry that iif i am bouncing around lots running, the cuticle may get damaged by the rubbing of the headband (cotton). thanks guys, thats a good idea (wearing a banded ponytail), i did try that once but then ended up losing all my bands during my run haha. i ended up running back the way i came looking for my ponytail bands (they were a good kind). Luckily i found them. I will just have to wear them tighter. Thanks so much guys. God Bless

mommy101405
November 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
My fil used to wear his hair like that when he rode his motorcycle. He said it worked for him. If it works on a motorcycle I'm sure it'll work for running. Maybe just make them tighter or look for some smaller bands. Happy Running!

BittSweetCherry
November 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I'd say a braid is a very safe option, which you can always hide under a good ol' masculine bandana (are do rags the same thing?) I frequently use bandanas for exercising, outdoor assignments, or hiding oiling days and failed hairstyles - nobody is any the wiser to what lies beneath :P

Anje
November 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Personally I think braids can look very masculine, but it's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with.

I think a banded ponytail is probably your next best bet. If it slaps you uncomfortably when you run, you might want to fold it in half after banding it, and shove the ends back through the first band. That will also prevent the extra bands from falling off while you run, if you can get the ends sufficiently secure.

Gumball
November 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Braids would work pretty well along with a banded ponytail. Stylistically I wear braids all the time. If you're willing to wear a headband around your bun a la scrunchie might I ask why a braid would be a big deal? Either way as long as you find something that works for you then that will be awesome!

trolleypup
November 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Predictable suggestion from me:

Pony scrubs (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/pony-scrub-hats/?p=5)

Addy
November 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
What about a rope braid?

I love the way they look. Just my opinion... :D