PDA

View Full Version : Reversing/preventing sun bleach?

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 01:14 PM
Even .5 seconds in the sun makes my hair red/brassy and dull looking. Is there any way to prevent or reverse this? It's not even summer yet and my hair already is looking like I've been sunbathing. :(

Ylva
May 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM
Some conditioners contain sunblock agents like benzophenone. Do you use any such conditioners?

ETA: It was like benzophenone-4 or something, but I don't remember if 4 exactly was the number.

The-Young-Maid
May 2nd, 2019, 01:19 PM
Other than a hat? I don't think so. I've heard of leave-ins for color treated hair that protect from the sun(might be gimmicky). But to fix the color either dyes or henna/indigo.

I actually like the highlights I get from the sun, it gives my hair more dimension and looks lovely.:o

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 01:20 PM
I don't think you can reverse it entirely but you can prevent it. ACV makes my hair darker for some time, some tea rinses could work too. I recommend leave-in conditioners with UVA/UVB filters. I was just today looking at OGX Fade-Defying + Orchid color protect oil that seemed interesting. I'll be using Phyto Phytoplage protective Sun veil spray this summer but would probably prefer oil or a cream. There's lots of products out there!

edit. Oh yeah! Hats and scarves for preventing sun bleaching :)

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 03:31 PM
Some conditioners contain sunblock agents like benzophenone. Do you use any such conditioners?

ETA: It was like benzophenone-4 or something, but I don't remember if 4 exactly was the number.

I don't think you can reverse it entirely but you can prevent it. ACV makes my hair darker for some time, some tea rinses could work too. I recommend leave-in conditioners with UVA/UVB filters. I was just today looking at OGX Fade-Defying + Orchid color protect oil that seemed interesting. I'll be using Phyto Phytoplage protective Sun veil spray this summer but would probably prefer oil or a cream. There's lots of products out there!

edit. Oh yeah! Hats and scarves for preventing sun bleaching :)

I've never heard of these type of products or that ingredient. I'll take a look next time I'm at the store.

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 03:32 PM
Other than a hat? I don't think so. I've heard of leave-ins for color treated hair that protect from the sun(might be gimmicky). But to fix the color either dyes or henna/indigo.

I actually like the highlights I get from the sun, it gives my hair more dimension and looks lovely.:o

Why did I forget that hats exist? lol

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2019, 03:39 PM
Why did I forget that hats exist? lol

Or a parasol 8)

(Oh, that probably won't fit with a gothic vibe, going by your username - your profile pic made me think of it though!)

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Or a parasol 8)

(Oh, that probably won't fit with a gothic vibe, going by your username - your profile pic made me think of it though!)

I'm sure I could find one in black ;)

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2019, 03:48 PM
I'm sure I could find one in black ;)

Edwardian gothic! :D

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 04:02 PM

They could have been used in the Gothic era as well, though I'm no history shrew in the fashion department. It's hard to google Gothic Era fashion without finding Goth fashion, but I think Victorian or Edwardian is close enough. *shrug*

I just like black :D

BerrySara
May 2nd, 2019, 04:24 PM
I think head wraps and turbans are beautiful and can be dressed up and look so pretty. Especially an easy way to add some color too.
I would like to get a head wrap and try it out this summer.

https://youtu.be/8ZO22zmK4w8

I also recently purchased and used one of those Buff headband (https://www.rei.com/product/146017/buff-coolnet-uv-multifunctional-headwear) from REI which is made from a cooling fabric with UV 50 sun protection. It can be worn as a headband or fully cover your head.

I used it while in the desert and plan on using it for outdoor activities throughout the summer to protect my hair especially in cases where hats might not work very well (like going for a run, hike etc). Its not very cheap but seemed worth it to me especially since it has UV protection.

Entangled
May 2nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
I know that Ida at Igor’sbelltower has run some sunscreen experiments before. While i’m Looking for them, here’s an article on sunscreen and hair.
https://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2013/03/sunscreen-for-hair.html?m=1

ETA: here’s the sun protection experiment.
https://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-sun-protection-experiment-2-months.html?m=1

Ylva
May 2nd, 2019, 05:33 PM
I know that Ida at Igor’sbelltower has run some sunscreen experiments before. While i’m Looking for them, here’s an article on sunscreen and hair.
https://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2013/03/sunscreen-for-hair.html?m=1

ETA: here’s the sun protection experiment.
https://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-sun-protection-experiment-2-months.html?m=1

That's very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Pajarita
May 2nd, 2019, 08:50 PM

That could be beautiful!

Dark40
May 3rd, 2019, 08:23 PM
I would suggest wearing a hat but I've never heard of such a product to reverse or prevent it.

pinkypoo
May 3rd, 2019, 10:31 PM
Oh oh! I was actually just looking this up myself trying to prep for a vacation in the Florida sun this summer. I found 3 products that claim to have uv protection and went with the bb hairdresser invisible oil primer that is like a spray leave in. I saw another spray leave in from sun bum too but both these have silicones if you're avoiding those. I also was debating getting the cantu color protect oil that claims to have uv protection but it's hard to find, that one is silicone free I think.

AutobotsAttack
May 3rd, 2019, 10:38 PM
I find that the only thing that truly helps with my sun bleached areas is keeping them covered. All of the front part of my hair is a orangey brass color as well from the sun this year. I’ve come to like it, but those pieces do end up breaking off. I’ve tried everything from conditioner spritz, UVB and SPF creams, leave ins, rinsed, etc. my hair will still enevitably lighten in color. I just keep it covered now. That’s the only true way for my hair to be protected. Espeacially in Texas when the sun is unforgiving during the spring and summer months.

Joules
May 4th, 2019, 07:12 AM
I'm in the "cover it" club. Tuck the ends into a bun and don't expose it. My hair gets sunbleached and damaged even in the winter when the sun isn't even supposed to be that active, that's why I had to stop wearing braids on a regular basis.

Ligeia Noire
May 4th, 2019, 07:33 AM
I don't really think those products work... sprays and shampoos with UV.... and i doubt that you can reverse it.
You could talk to a dermatologist to advise you too.
But in my opinion, living in two very sunny countries, nothing like covering it... opaque sunproof scarf or hat... the sun here is unforgiving, i use a parasol. I love parasols though and have a couple... they are more practical than hats, they don't mess my hair and cover all mt body and hats don't fit with my hair up.
I do wear an opaque large brimmed sun hat for hiking and it works fine because i wear my braid down.
I don't mind a bit of spring sun or evening summer sun but the rest is just too strong. Good luck.