PDA

View Full Version : What/When was your last impulsive hair decision?

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 01:01 PM
Back in february I had a crisis at 1 am and cut some bangs. I think wispy, straight-across bangs are sooo cute but I hate the way they look on me. That doesn't stop me from trying them out every two-to-three years, :laugh: . This past time, I liked them for all of maybe ten hours before I made the decision to grow them out again, lol. Luckily they were long enough to be pushed to the side and hang right at my eyebrow.

They didn't look bad at all but a lot of the hairstyles (mostly braids) I like to do involve the hair around the face being braided so short bangs really don't work for it. Luckily my hair grows pretty fast so they're already about halfway to being tucked behind my ears, which is long enough to braid back without any shredding.

What about y'all? Any quickly decided cuts or dyes against your better judgement?

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 01:04 PM
Nope...so far so good in my 5+ year grow out journey of chin length layers and fringe to TBL :whistle:

Reading LHC threads/posts like these keeps me from acting impulsively....and the '2 week rule' has been a lifesaver more than once :rolling:

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 01:10 PM
The 2 week rule! I usually make myself wait a month, but on that particular night I was having a bit of a meltdown. :laugh: I'm always really good about waiting to see if it's something I really want to do, but that night I lost my mind a bit.

CampFireTiger
May 2nd, 2019, 01:11 PM
A couple years ago I went from TBL to right around my jawline from a decision I made about an hour earlier for no real reason other than I didn't want to deal with it that day... I would consider that a bit impulsive :bigeyes:

hinabelle
May 2nd, 2019, 01:12 PM
Only once. I ended my transition to natural hair with a big chop at the texture demarcation line well before I wanted. I had super short hair (in my opinion)
after that, which I never wanted to begin with. The chemical damage on the ends of my hair was SO velcro'y and I couldn't take it anymore, so I whacked
it off out of frustration.

Given that I've literally grown out my hair from bald, and I've finally reached waist in total length this month... well, at least getting rid of the damaged ends
made my hair easier to take care of at the time :lol: Otherwise I would have only just now cut off the damage!

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM
I'm not very spontaneous, even less when it comes to my hair. Back when I could trim my own ends (∼2014) I would do it on a whim but never took more than few cm at a time. I do sometimes let my hairdresser trim my bangs according to her suggestions so I have to make the decision then and there. Last time I did that was in March.

Jo Ann
May 2nd, 2019, 03:23 PM
My last impulse was back in 1999--I went from MBL to a Farrah Fawcett inspired 1970's haircut:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/89/d5/a6/89d5a64343815317cbc7f7280cce1dba.jpg

It looked like this until the next morning...

It didn't look bad as it grew out--my waves and curls really liked the layers and it looked like I spent hours getting everything just right, but I was sad about all the length I lost going from MBL to shoulder/APL. I'm happier now with my longer length.

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Nothing/never, unless you count impulsively extra shampooing or using a scalp scrub or something like that when I hadn't initially planned to :p

I'm really not spontaneous generally, and especially not with my hair - not one bit! :tmi:

illicitlizard
May 2nd, 2019, 08:03 PM
A couple years ago I went from TBL to right around my jawline from a decision I made about an hour earlier for no real reason other than I didn't want to deal with it that day... I would consider that a bit impulsive :bigeyes:

Oh my gawd that's one heck of a trim!

I think my last impulsive hair decision was some time in high school, went from around waist length to somewhere around chin-collarbone. Still, no regrets though :P Also pretty sure the hairdresser who shaved my head thought it was an impulse decision but I'd been considering it for like 2 years so, hardly.
The 2 week rule has been great since joining this forum at keeping my trim impulse in check :)

AmaryllisRed
May 2nd, 2019, 08:30 PM
I have cut from almost waist up to chin many times but it was always premeditated. I plan my haircuts months in advance and don't trust myself to do it myself (other than bangs and S&D) so I need money and a babysitter and stuff. That keeps impulsive decisions at bay.

I guess I'm not an impulsive person in general. My brain can come up with some pretty crazy notions but I've learned in recent years not to act on them. (I was a lot more fun when I was younger. ;) )

sugar&nutmeg
May 2nd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Monday last, I cut my hair back from about waist to just below APL. I love it. It's still long enough to braid, and wear up, but also not so long that it's a PITA (for me) to wear loose.

So, less fraught emotional 'impulse', and more the culmination of many smaller frustrations and just finally deciding that yes, I was done.

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 08:44 PM
Monday last, I cut my hair back from about waist to just below APL. I love it. It's still long enough to braid, and wear up, but also not so long that it's a PITA (for me) to wear loose.

So, less fraught emotional 'impulse', and more the culmination of many smaller frustrations and just finally deciding that yes, I was done.

Oh wow....good for you :thumbsup:

TBH some days I wonder about doing that.....then I look at my hair toys and stay away from the scissors ;)
Plus I have less hair per landmark because of my short/shrinking torso = more daily styling needed when I go shorter, vs quick styling with longer hair, more style options, and only 1-2x weekly shampoos.

clandestine
May 2nd, 2019, 08:52 PM
I get bangs on a whim every few years despite not being the type of person to commit to styling them. It's a viscious cycle, right now they are nose length when pulled straight.

Pajarita
May 2nd, 2019, 08:55 PM
Three and a half years ago I bleached my almost APL hair and dyed it peacock blue. I loved it. Loved it for years, but had to keep it chin length or shorter due to damage. I’m halfway to virgin hair now, and excited to keep it long and healthy.

trolleypup
May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 PM
Chewing on a mouthful of pizza and hair prompted my last major cut in 1990.

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 10:47 PM
Chewing on a mouthful of pizza and hair prompted my last major cut in 1990.

:spitting: Oh no lol

How major was the cut (what to what)?

Reyn127
May 2nd, 2019, 10:56 PM
It’s been a while since I’ve done anything drastic to my hair impulsively.... But my problem now is buying conditioner. I just love to buy conditioner, and hair treatments, and hair oils, etc.... The last one was about a week ago.

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 11:02 PM
I don't really make impulsive hair decisions since i was around 17 yo, so i think it was 10 years ago when i chopped my hair off from below waist to SL.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2019, 12:59 AM
My impulsive hair decisions revolve around buying different hair masks to try. As for impulsive cutting, I have felt like it on several occasions but am thankful for the two week rule :D

Simpscone
May 3rd, 2019, 04:18 AM
Oh boy... if anyone is known for impulsive hair decisions, it's me. I will say "I want to do x to my hair" and the next week it's done! I've kind of accepted it as part of who I am, and I think that actually makes it easier to not make the decisions. If I tell myself that if I want to suddenly be white blonde again then I can be, it makes me not want to do it - if that makes sense!

That said... my last impulsive decision was in January - I dyed my (already dyed/previously bleached) ends bright red. But I didn't touch my virgin hair, phew! I then dyed the ends back to brown in February, so that didn't last long :lol:

I haven't done anything impulsive to change my hair since then. Sometimes I get the urge to use heat and in the past have just done it, whereas now I'm going to try and think in terms of my long-term goals (long, healthy hair) to stop myself!

TatsuOni
May 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM
Hmm. Probably when I was 14 or 15. I haven't done anything really impulsive with my hair at all since then :laugh: Not even my hair washes are spontaneous. The most impulsive thing I do now is to wear a braid instead of a bun :p

shelomit
November 20th, 2019, 09:50 PM
I have one lock at the side of my face that grows a little slower, so I keep it wayyy shorter than the rest of my hair and let it curl. As I was doing a trim last week, I decided to try cutting it shorter than I usually would (chin-length stretched out, rather than shoulder-length). I do not like it that short, as it turns out! Still curls nicely, just doesn't frame my face as naturally as it would a few inches longer. Happily, I did have the good sense to leave enough that I can tuck it behind my ear or work it into a bun/braid until it gets back to the length I like.

iforgotmylogin
November 20th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Cutting bangs back in May

6 months an no trimming of them later I'm suffering in the heat

0xalis
November 21st, 2019, 12:35 AM
Chopping my grown out buzz cut- it was very "emo", "skater-boy-ish", looked great on me.
But I had just cut my partner's hair into a bob... and I had scissors in my hands. Now we have matching haircuts hahaha!

I guess the decision to actively grow it out again is also a recent impulsive decision.
I'd been mulling it over in my head for a while, but now that I have a fresh, blunt hemline it feels tangible.

cjk
November 21st, 2019, 05:29 AM
My last impulsive decision was to stop shaving. Been a while.

Usually I consider decisions relating to my appearance, even my hair, quite thoroughly. Considering a modified Ragnar mohawk, and it'll probably be a year before I pull the trigger.

unheardletters
November 21st, 2019, 05:53 AM
I have had far to many hair-related impulsive decisions. I have often cut from hip to super short pixie in the middle of the night. I dyed my hair in the middle of the night back in February. A week later I cut my hair to a asymmetrical bob at 2am.

My most recent was not as dramatic of an impulse. Since the long side of my grown out asymmetrical bob had been annoying me for months. But in those months that it bugged me I never even had the thought of cutting it. Then in September I just suddenly got the notion that I wanted the asymmetrical cut gone, so I booked an appointment for the same day and got it cut. She cut off much more than I asked for and it’s not even. I cried when I got home because I should have just done it myself and saved the $40 and saved my length. Once it gets to waist length I’ll fix it but until then my scissor are locked away so I cannot cut my hair at 2am at least.

elsiedeluxe
November 21st, 2019, 06:15 AM
My last impulsive decision was to do another layer of henna on my understory (pretty sure I just made that term up; what I mean is the part of my hair that would be shaved if I had a pretty dramatic undercut. It's the thinnest, most fragile part of my hair, so I use henna on it in hopes of strengthening the strands.) I literally went from deciding enough was enough on the henna to cutting up the henna block in my kitchen in about three minutes. Not good.

So now there have been, um, I don't know, probably four separate henna applications on that part of my hair, and I'm not entirely happy with it, but of course Henna is Forever. It's pretty dark and doesn't blend in with the rest of my colors as well as the last round, but I also kind of enjoy being able to make my hair look very different with a half-up, so I'm ok with the results. At this point, I Really Must Stop or it will end up much too dark and I will be unhappy.

I think in this case my impulsivity was because I was looking at pictures of really long hair and feeling impatient, so I wanted to do SOMETHING. Fortunately I have had no inclination for a cut of any kind. My haircuts have to be planned way in advance because there's only one person I trust and she's busy and a three-hour drive away, so I have only been going about every 18 months or so.

SleepyTangles
November 21st, 2019, 06:41 AM
Bleaching my underlayer (elsiedeluxe, I love understory as a word! That's exactly what I meant).
It was like a snap. I wanted to be a good girl and wait until hair got to shoulder but noooo... One day I just found myself myself mixing bleach and developer in a frenzy.
Probably that's what is going to happen for my ombre (planned for March). If ya'll see my hair purple by Christmas you know what happened.

Wildcat Diva
November 21st, 2019, 07:27 AM
I don’t do impulsive hair decisions. There was a big chop I had as a young kid, but that wasn’t my call.

lapushka
November 21st, 2019, 07:37 AM
Last AM. 4.15 when I compact cut my last layers in, and fixed my previous compact cut where I cut 3/4 cm off. It's more like 6cm needed to come off, so fixed that. I know. I had to go pee, and suddenly I decided to "fix" my cut. :lol: If that's not impulsive, I don't know what is. But it needed to be done. It bugged me.

I'm classic length and all layered up again (just like in my signature).

Sora Rose
November 21st, 2019, 07:38 AM
I don't think I've ever made an impulsive hair decision. I spend so little time actually thinking about my hair, that it doesn't usually occur to me. The worst thing I've ever done was cut off four inches due to damage, but I'd premeditated it for three months, so I don't think it counts as 'impulsive'.

hannabiss
November 21st, 2019, 07:49 AM
The last time I shaved bald was very impulsive. Within one week I went from virgin waist length hair, to short hair, to short purple hair, to bald. My hair would be APL now but last year I trimmed it from shoulder to ear length because I had cut in a side shave and had a weird mullet going on from growing it out. I'm at shoulder now and really happy to be growing it out.

Faraniel
November 21st, 2019, 08:01 AM
OH, I am a MASTER of impulsive decisions. I always see a picture or a movie where someone has a cool hair color...my brain: I-WANT-THAT! In my life I went through so many impulsive decisions...I had all the haircolors. One month ago I cut my bangs and it took me two hours to decide it looked awful :D Yesterday I needed to cover my roots quickly. I planned to do henna...but did I? NO. I shoved some washout colour on my hair and it doesn't even match my hair :D I just hope it really is a wash out color.

Ylva
November 21st, 2019, 09:40 AM
I think when I had my butt-length hair cut into a bob when I was 6 or so.

I don't make impulsive hair decisions. I do, however, occasionally make very carefully considered bad decisions.

November 21st, 2019, 11:12 AM
The last time I shaved bald was very impulsive. Within one week I went from virgin waist length hair, to short hair, to short purple hair, to bald. My hair would be APL now but last year I trimmed it from shoulder to ear length because I had cut in a side shave and had a weird mullet going on from growing it out. I'm at shoulder now and really happy to be growing it out.

Yeah, tailbone to bob to 1,5 cm hair xDDD.

Laurenhope29
November 21st, 2019, 11:44 AM
I also impulsively cut bangs not too long ago... I've been growing out my natural hair color after bleaching for years, and my line of demarcation was just long enough where if i cut bangs they would be all virgin hair... so i chopped them lol. I literally haven't worn them down once since i cut them, and now they reach the bottom of my nose... but it is cool to have a little chunk of hair that is completely natural and super soft! Lol. :)

jane_marie
November 21st, 2019, 02:32 PM
In Mid August I bleached my hair in order to make henna show up. Then I applied henna. I thought I wanted red hair but despite the color turning out lovely I realized that red hair makes me look sick due to my cool toned coloration. I've since remedied the issue with a semi dye... but now I'm commited to using semi unit all of that WL hair grows out and is cut off. :neutral:

earl grey
November 21st, 2019, 07:27 PM
Never really did anything too implusive. Probably the most impulsive decision I made was after months of planning what sort of cut I wanted I changed to cutting it short days before the scheduled cut.

BethiBerries
November 21st, 2019, 08:46 PM
in march of last year I had tailbone length hair and saw a person with chin length hair. needless to say I had that same hair the next week. it wasn't the most impulsive but it was the most recent.

itskate
November 21st, 2019, 09:14 PM
I used to be super impulsive, i would regularly bleach and dye my hair weird colors on a whim, cut it myself, buzz it, all that. After growing out my last buzz cut, I bleached it and colored it for a few months, then had that dyed back to brown, and then eventually went back to bleaching and dying just my bangs for like a year after. So I guess I would say the last time was...highlighter yellow bangs. FINALLY I decided to just enjoy my natural color, and grow it out at the same time. My first time growing I had so much leftover damage on all of it that I eventually had to do a big chop, so now I'm growing 90% virgin hair. (I still have a few tips that are somehow lighter...I can't believe how long that bleach has haunted me, I thought it was so short when I last did a full bleach!) It feels nice that I got all my impulsive hair years out, and now I feel no desire for any of that. Sometimes I want to cut it short again, but I love the versatility of how you can wear long hair, and it takes so long to grow that I dont want more setbacks.