PDA

View Full Version : What/When was your last impulsive hair decision?

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 01:01 PM
Back in february I had a crisis at 1 am and cut some bangs. I think wispy, straight-across bangs are sooo cute but I hate the way they look on me. That doesn't stop me from trying them out every two-to-three years, :laugh: . This past time, I liked them for all of maybe ten hours before I made the decision to grow them out again, lol. Luckily they were long enough to be pushed to the side and hang right at my eyebrow.

They didn't look bad at all but a lot of the hairstyles (mostly braids) I like to do involve the hair around the face being braided so short bangs really don't work for it. Luckily my hair grows pretty fast so they're already about halfway to being tucked behind my ears, which is long enough to braid back without any shredding.

What about y'all? Any quickly decided cuts or dyes against your better judgement?

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 01:04 PM
Nope...so far so good in my 5+ year grow out journey of chin length layers and fringe to TBL :whistle:

Reading LHC threads/posts like these keeps me from acting impulsively....and the '2 week rule' has been a lifesaver more than once :rolling:

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 01:10 PM
The 2 week rule! I usually make myself wait a month, but on that particular night I was having a bit of a meltdown. :laugh: I'm always really good about waiting to see if it's something I really want to do, but that night I lost my mind a bit.

CampFireTiger
May 2nd, 2019, 01:11 PM
A couple years ago I went from TBL to right around my jawline from a decision I made about an hour earlier for no real reason other than I didn't want to deal with it that day... I would consider that a bit impulsive :bigeyes:

hinabelle
May 2nd, 2019, 01:12 PM
Only once. I ended my transition to natural hair with a big chop at the texture demarcation line well before I wanted. I had super short hair (in my opinion)
after that, which I never wanted to begin with. The chemical damage on the ends of my hair was SO velcro'y and I couldn't take it anymore, so I whacked
it off out of frustration.

Given that I've literally grown out my hair from bald, and I've finally reached waist in total length this month... well, at least getting rid of the damaged ends
made my hair easier to take care of at the time :lol: Otherwise I would have only just now cut off the damage!

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM
I'm not very spontaneous, even less when it comes to my hair. Back when I could trim my own ends (∼2014) I would do it on a whim but never took more than few cm at a time. I do sometimes let my hairdresser trim my bangs according to her suggestions so I have to make the decision then and there. Last time I did that was in March.

Jo Ann
May 2nd, 2019, 03:23 PM
My last impulse was back in 1999--I went from MBL to a Farrah Fawcett inspired 1970's haircut:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/89/d5/a6/89d5a64343815317cbc7f7280cce1dba.jpg

It looked like this until the next morning...

It didn't look bad as it grew out--my waves and curls really liked the layers and it looked like I spent hours getting everything just right, but I was sad about all the length I lost going from MBL to shoulder/APL. I'm happier now with my longer length.

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Nothing/never, unless you count impulsively extra shampooing or using a scalp scrub or something like that when I hadn't initially planned to :p

I'm really not spontaneous generally, and especially not with my hair - not one bit! :tmi:

illicitlizard
May 2nd, 2019, 08:03 PM
A couple years ago I went from TBL to right around my jawline from a decision I made about an hour earlier for no real reason other than I didn't want to deal with it that day... I would consider that a bit impulsive :bigeyes:

Oh my gawd that's one heck of a trim!

I think my last impulsive hair decision was some time in high school, went from around waist length to somewhere around chin-collarbone. Still, no regrets though :P Also pretty sure the hairdresser who shaved my head thought it was an impulse decision but I'd been considering it for like 2 years so, hardly.
The 2 week rule has been great since joining this forum at keeping my trim impulse in check :)

AmaryllisRed
May 2nd, 2019, 08:30 PM
I have cut from almost waist up to chin many times but it was always premeditated. I plan my haircuts months in advance and don't trust myself to do it myself (other than bangs and S&D) so I need money and a babysitter and stuff. That keeps impulsive decisions at bay.

I guess I'm not an impulsive person in general. My brain can come up with some pretty crazy notions but I've learned in recent years not to act on them. (I was a lot more fun when I was younger. ;) )

sugar&nutmeg
May 2nd, 2019, 08:43 PM
Monday last, I cut my hair back from about waist to just below APL. I love it. It's still long enough to braid, and wear up, but also not so long that it's a PITA (for me) to wear loose.

So, less fraught emotional 'impulse', and more the culmination of many smaller frustrations and just finally deciding that yes, I was done.

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 08:44 PM
Monday last, I cut my hair back from about waist to just below APL. I love it. It's still long enough to braid, and wear up, but also not so long that it's a PITA (for me) to wear loose.

So, less fraught emotional 'impulse', and more the culmination of many smaller frustrations and just finally deciding that yes, I was done.

Oh wow....good for you :thumbsup:

TBH some days I wonder about doing that.....then I look at my hair toys and stay away from the scissors ;)
Plus I have less hair per landmark because of my short/shrinking torso = more daily styling needed when I go shorter, vs quick styling with longer hair, more style options, and only 1-2x weekly shampoos.

clandestine
May 2nd, 2019, 08:52 PM
I get bangs on a whim every few years despite not being the type of person to commit to styling them. It's a viscious cycle, right now they are nose length when pulled straight.

Pajarita
May 2nd, 2019, 08:55 PM
Three and a half years ago I bleached my almost APL hair and dyed it peacock blue. I loved it. Loved it for years, but had to keep it chin length or shorter due to damage. Iím halfway to virgin hair now, and excited to keep it long and healthy.

trolleypup
May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 PM
Chewing on a mouthful of pizza and hair prompted my last major cut in 1990.

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 10:47 PM
Chewing on a mouthful of pizza and hair prompted my last major cut in 1990.

:spitting: Oh no lol

How major was the cut (what to what)?

Reyn127
May 2nd, 2019, 10:56 PM
Itís been a while since Iíve done anything drastic to my hair impulsively.... But my problem now is buying conditioner. I just love to buy conditioner, and hair treatments, and hair oils, etc.... The last one was about a week ago.

Stray_mind
May 2nd, 2019, 11:02 PM
I don't really make impulsive hair decisions since i was around 17 yo, so i think it was 10 years ago when i chopped my hair off from below waist to SL.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2019, 12:59 AM
My impulsive hair decisions revolve around buying different hair masks to try. As for impulsive cutting, I have felt like it on several occasions but am thankful for the two week rule :D

Simpscone
May 3rd, 2019, 04:18 AM
Oh boy... if anyone is known for impulsive hair decisions, it's me. I will say "I want to do x to my hair" and the next week it's done! I've kind of accepted it as part of who I am, and I think that actually makes it easier to not make the decisions. If I tell myself that if I want to suddenly be white blonde again then I can be, it makes me not want to do it - if that makes sense!

That said... my last impulsive decision was in January - I dyed my (already dyed/previously bleached) ends bright red. But I didn't touch my virgin hair, phew! I then dyed the ends back to brown in February, so that didn't last long :lol:

I haven't done anything impulsive to change my hair since then. Sometimes I get the urge to use heat and in the past have just done it, whereas now I'm going to try and think in terms of my long-term goals (long, healthy hair) to stop myself!

TatsuOni
May 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM
Hmm. Probably when I was 14 or 15. I haven't done anything really impulsive with my hair at all since then :laugh: Not even my hair washes are spontaneous. The most impulsive thing I do now is to wear a braid instead of a bun :p