PDA

View Full Version : Hair style you'd love to try?

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 12:47 PM
Are there any hair styles you'd like to try but are a little shy about wearing in public? I do a Rapunzel inspired braid from Tangled all the time (it's one of my favorite movies!) and I would loooove to actually wear flowers in the braid like Rapunzel does in the movie. However I've heard from someone that used to wear flowers in her hair all the time that she got made fun of for it, so I'm perpetually scared of the judgement, lol. :laugh:

What about y'all?

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 01:16 PM
That sounds pretty :)

:wigtongue: to the naysayers and rock those flowers girl :rockerdud

I shy away from braids in public because of my age (aside from buns); I am an odd duck being long and silver at almost 70 as it is :o

It would be nice to be able to do more braided styles in general besides buns, but my wispies :slap: lol

Ylva
May 2nd, 2019, 01:20 PM
I've been made fun of for numerous style-related things, so these days, if something about my looks DOESN'T make someone go ":disbelief Why would anyone wear/do that?!", I feel like I've failed. ;)

cjk
May 2nd, 2019, 01:23 PM
Ragnar, side shaved and plaited, viking Mohawk.

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 01:34 PM
I dream that my hair texture will change spontaneously in the future. In case that doesn't happen, I will probably end up getting a perm :eek: I want to have that dream hair at least once in my life. Not planning on doing it any time soon. I'm hopeful that there will be extremely gentle and effective perming techniques when I decide to go for it :redgrin:

softheartedandl
May 2nd, 2019, 01:36 PM
I've been made fun of for numerous style-related things, so these days, if something about my looks DOESN'T make someone go ":disbelief Why would anyone wear/do that?!", I feel like I've failed. ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I feel this, but with my outfits! I dress really girly and feminine and most people nowadays seem to like more of an edgy "baddie" look, lol.

CampFireTiger
May 2nd, 2019, 01:39 PM
I used to do a dutch crown braid when I had the time, then I wore it to work one time and half the staff said I looked Amish. Haven't worn it much since but I do still embrace some crazy styles sometimes like space buns or a fake mohawk made by tightly french braiding the hair on the sides of my head. This thread reminded me I shouldn't care about what others think about my hair as long as it brings me joy.
Wear the flowers, I am 100% positive they would look super cute and you shouldn't give a damn if a couple people don't like it.

littlestarface
May 2nd, 2019, 01:55 PM
I always wanted to have my hair like in memoirs of a geisha, sadly i'm not talented enough for that not even when the hair is half uped loool.

And another way I always wanted to wear my hair since I was little was like the ancient queens with those beautiful headdresses. Even aztec headdresses I wish I could wear that everyday. I think this is why I grew my hair long so when I ever got to dress like this my hair would so cool long and fancy.

Sadly tho I never became a queen of a ancient empire.

AmaryllisRed
May 2nd, 2019, 02:23 PM
I say wear the flowers!
I'm wearing a Dutch crown braid at the zoo today. Honestly I forgot what my hair even looked like. I doubt anyone cares. :shrug:

milosmomma
May 2nd, 2019, 03:19 PM
I dream that my hair texture will change spontaneously in the future. In case that doesn't happen, I will probably end up getting a perm :eek: I want to have that dream hair at least once in my life. Not planning on doing it any time soon. I'm hopeful that there will be extremely gentle and effective perming techniques when I decide to go for it :redgrin:

Hey, you should try bantu knots! I've gotten some great results and you don't have to leave them overnight, if you start with lightly/barely damp hair the curls stick after an hour or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwG3WWKDCx8
I don't use alot of product when I make them either, helps them set faster. Honestly I'm not sure how anyone could sleep with these but more power if you find a way! :lol:

Personally I've always loved dreads but never made the leap. I think I would want to brush them out after a month. Box braids are one I still want to give a try though.

Eta Heres a pic from the last time I did bantu knots, I only did about 6 so the more you do the tighter the curls
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35087&d=1547828548
Sorry for horrible quality pic

Arciela
May 2nd, 2019, 03:20 PM
Crown braid and waterfall braid. No matter how much I try I just cant do them :(

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2019, 03:45 PM
No - the styles I don't do or try are due to physical limitations, mainly in doing them but also my scalp is not fond of sectioning (it just about tolerates a very rare single french or dutch braid).

I used to wear a flower on a hair elastic every day, to the point where it was kind of my signature style and one of the children in my class gave me a flower hairclip as a present from her holiday :o If you really want to wear flowers, go for it! Maybe start with one or two if you're too wary of going full out, then gradually add in more over time :)

Stardreamer
May 2nd, 2019, 04:39 PM
The L-infinity bun fascinates me.
I would love to be able to wear my hair down, super-long, in public sometimes. I was thinking I might like my hair straightened somehow. Right now it's shoulder-length, a bad shape, and still fluffy. Dream on :hmm:

lithostoic
May 2nd, 2019, 04:57 PM
Half ups but my ends are so thin.

BerrySara
May 2nd, 2019, 04:59 PM
The L-infinity bun fascinates me.
I would love to be able to wear my hair down, super-long, in public sometimes. I was thinking I might like my hair straightened somehow. Right now it's shoulder-length, a bad shape, and still fluffy. Dream on :hmm:

Stardreamer have you ever tried the CG method (or wash and go, not brushing out the curls etc) and left your hair down curly using the curly girl method?

Stardreamer
May 2nd, 2019, 05:39 PM
Stardreamer have you ever tried the CG method (or wash and go, not brushing out the curls etc) and left your hair down curly using the curly girl method?

I tried washing and not brushing my curls once. The shrinkage was very real, and the look just didn't suit me. Plus the feel of curlies annoys me. If I could, I would get my hair straightened permanently...

I do think your curls are lovely and you suit them, totally.

BerrySara
May 2nd, 2019, 06:11 PM
I tried washing and not brushing my curls once. The shrinkage was very real, and the look just didn't suit me. Plus the feel of curlies annoys me. If I could, I would get my hair straightened permanently...

I do think your curls are lovely and you suit them, totally.

I hear ya, I find that I relate a lot to your hair journey/story.

I used to hate my curls and dreamed of straight hair all through childhood and teens. I was the only one I knew with curly hair growing up (neither of my parents had any clue how to deal with it) and was teased & bullied a lot for it. No one really looked like me where I grew up. And then when I turned 17 and got my first job, I paid to "permanently" straighten my hair (chemically straighten it using the Japanese hair straightening method). It was really expensive for me at the time but I didn't care, to me I had found the holy grail! I finally had stick straight hair. That was at 17.

Then the years passed and I had to keep it up. I had to go in to get my new growth roots straightened every 3-4 months and I started to really hate the process. I hated sitting in that chair for hours and hours at the salon feeling ****ty about my hair. After 10+ years, I knew I couldn't keep this up forever but I wasn't quite ready to face it yet..

My hair got really damaged over time and the older I got (though still in my late 20's) the more it seemed to thin out. I would have chemical cuts between APL and BSL. Could never grow past that. But to me going back to curly was dreadful and I thought I was so unattractive with curly hair.

It wasn't until 15 years after the first treatment that I decided to cold turkey grow out my curls (no heat, no straightening, just leave it be) and decided that no matter what I was just going to deal and accept with whatever I would grow out. I had no idea at that point what my natural hair looked like. It was definitely quite the journey to rediscover my hair and come to terms with it. If anyone had told me in my 20s that one day I would come to enjoy and appreciate my curls, I would have dismissed them before they finished the sentence. But here I am in my mid 30's and finally feel at peace.

Do I think I look better with straight hair? Sure. But I also think I look cute with curly hair, just to a lesser degree. And that's a small loss for what I gain in return; healthy hair that can grow, lots of volume, not spending hundreds of dollars on a process that I hated, not fighting it and most importantly I gained freedom.

Anyway, everyone is on their own journey - no doubt. And everyone has their own likes and dislikes. And everyone gets to choose how they want to wear, grow or treat their hair. Just figured I would share because it is possible to like one's hair in its natural state even if it take a long while or lots of trial and error before that happens.

Sorry for over sharing, I know you didn't ask. You are very sweet and I do wish you the best on your hair journey :)

Begemot
May 3rd, 2019, 01:12 AM
Hey, you should try bantu knots! I've gotten some great results and you don't have to leave them overnight, if you start with lightly/barely damp hair the curls stick after an hour or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwG3WWKDCx8
I don't use alot of product when I make them either, helps them set faster. Honestly I'm not sure how anyone could sleep with these but more power if you find a way! :lol:

Personally I've always loved dreads but never made the leap. I think I would want to brush them out after a month. Box braids are one I still want to give a try though.

Eta Heres a pic from the last time I did bantu knots, I only did about 6 so the more you do the tighter the curls
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35087&d=1547828548
Sorry for horrible quality pic

Oh wow, your hair turned out amazing :love: Thanks for the link, that video was really well done and the end results are beautiful. I have experimented with different heatless curling methods through years but I don't think I have tried bantu knots like these. To be honest I haven't even tried curling my hair in a long time since it just never comes out right :( It's probably partly because I didn't have the patience to master the curling styles and partly because my texture just won't hold a curl without heat. Maybe I used wrong products too? Because I remember always having either too little product = waves/curls didn't form at all or straightened in minutes, or too much product = my hair was left feeling horrible because of the styling product(s) and any possible wave/curl still loosened. But maybe it's time to try again! :D

Simpscone
May 3rd, 2019, 04:09 AM
I hear ya, I find that I relate a lot to your hair journey/story.

I used to hate my curls and dreamed of straight hair all through childhood and teens. I was the only one I knew with curly hair growing up (neither of my parents had any clue how to deal with it) and was teased & bullied a lot for it. No one really looked like me where I grew up. And then when I turned 17 and got my first job, I paid to "permanently" straighten my hair (chemically straighten it using the Japanese hair straightening method). It was really expensive for me at the time but I didn't care, to me I had found the holy grail! I finally had stick straight hair. That was at 17.

Then the years passed and I had to keep it up. I had to go in to get my new growth roots straightened every 3-4 months and I started to really hate the process. I hated sitting in that chair for hours and hours at the salon feeling ****ty about my hair. After 10+ years, I knew I couldn't keep this up forever but I wasn't quite ready to face it yet..

My hair got really damaged over time and the older I got (though still in my late 20's) the more it seemed to thin out. I would have chemical cuts between APL and BSL. Could never grow past that. But to me going back to curly was dreadful and I thought I was so unattractive with curly hair.

It wasn't until 15 years after the first treatment that I decided to cold turkey grow out my curls (no heat, no straightening, just leave it be) and decided that no matter what I was just going to deal and accept with whatever I would grow out. I had no idea at that point what my natural hair looked like. It was definitely quite the journey to rediscover my hair and come to terms with it. If anyone had told me in my 20s that one day I would come to enjoy and appreciate my curls, I would have dismissed them before they finished the sentence. But here I am in my mid 30's and finally feel at peace.

Do I think I look better with straight hair? Sure. But I also think I look cute with curly hair, just to a lesser degree. And that's a small loss for what I gain in return; healthy hair that can grow, lots of volume, not spending hundreds of dollars on a process that I hated, not fighting it and most importantly I gained freedom.

Anyway, everyone is on their own journey - no doubt. And everyone has their own likes and dislikes. And everyone gets to choose how they want to wear, grow or treat their hair. Just figured I would share because it is possible to like one's hair in its natural state even if it take a long while or lots of trial and error before that happens.

Sorry for over sharing, I know you didn't ask. You are very sweet and I do wish you the best on your hair journey :)

Thank you for sharing this, BerrySara.

I think it's super important what you said about thinking you look better with straight hair. I think there is a lot of pressure on people who go natural to love their hair no matter what and be happier with how it looks natural, but that isn't always going to be the case.

My BF asked me the other day why people seem to be getting "obsessed with getting their hair curly" - it came up purely because two people we know have also just started the CG method, and wasn't intended to be negative at all. But queue me explaining that it's not about being obsessed with curly hair, it's about being able to accept and work with your own texture without feeling like you have to constantly fight with it. I explained how a heck of a lot of people who do CG have always hated their natural texture - felt it "messy" or "unprofessional" or too "difficult". Or just downright not pretty. And the method just encourages hair health above all, and tells you that what naturally sprouts from your head is totally fine the way it is.

He had never thought of it that way - his hair is naturally straight and it didn't occur to him that he's always been able to just step out of the shower and go, whereas I had never been able to just "leave" my hair before.

It's true some people get obsessed with curly hair, but I think it comes from a place of excitement at finally accepting yourself and seeing other people who feel the exact same!

cjk
May 3rd, 2019, 05:53 AM
https://i.imgur.com/GtKmJ0U_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I'd do this in a heartbeat. But I'm terrified of shaving the sides.

One day. Perhaps one day.

milosmomma
May 3rd, 2019, 06:46 AM
Begemot, I think using too many products can actually hinder curling, in my case for sure anyways. I would just try misting and then maybe some light aloe gel if you try it out. And thank you so much for the kind words. I always wished I had texture somewhere in the 3's, the grass is greener right? :)
Cjk I love ragnars hair style, super hair crush! :lol: When I did my son's hair in a mohawk I found out that the shaved sides are like velcro to the longer strands, never would have thought that'd be the case.

Ligeia Noire
May 3rd, 2019, 06:49 AM
Always had a thing for neat updos more than loose hair... so i tried lots of them but but but never tried the ever classy French twist and now i am way too late for that party.

Begemot
May 3rd, 2019, 11:59 AM
Begemot, I think using too many products can actually hinder curling, in my case for sure anyways. I would just try misting and then maybe some light aloe gel if you try it out. And thank you so much for the kind words. I always wished I had texture somewhere in the 3's, the grass is greener right? :)

Definitely, so painfully true in my case :D Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to share the results if and when I try the bantu knots :)