PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand hair serums

CampFireTiger
May 1st, 2019, 12:09 PM
So.. this is a stupid question, but what are hair serums for? I've looked at some threads about them, but all I've really learned is that they're lighter than oils and what brands people like, but what do I use them for? Frizz control? Moisture for dry ends? Styling? Ease of brushing since some have silicones? Should you put them on right after showering or once it's dry? Or do you only use it on a non-wash day? Or everyday?
You don't have to answer all the questions I was just looking for an explanation since I've never used them before.

spidermom
May 1st, 2019, 12:14 PM
I use them to make combing easier. My hair has a lot of texture and tends to tangle up. It's a careful balancing act though; too much serum, and my hair tangles even more. Serums also help control frizz, although it seems that if hair is prone to be frizzy, there isn't much that will totally tame it.

I've used on both freshly washed, damp hair, also on dry hair. Both work equally well.

If you want to try a serum, start small. 1 drop rubbed between palms, then over hair is a good starting point.

Groovy Granny
May 1st, 2019, 12:18 PM
There are no stupid questions in the learning process :)

I don't have the hair intel others do here :o so.....personally, I use them to cut frizz on my fine wispy silver, and they also are an aid in styling (for me).

My hair only needs a few drops ~ rubbed between palms then over the ends, or crown etc; I raely tangle so that is a non issue.

I apply it to my ends on almost dry hair post shampoo/air drying.

At night I apply it to the ends before doing up my night braids.

In the morning I apply it after I take out my braids and bun them while I get dressed for soft/defined wurls.

Any time I have wispies or humidity poof I apply some to dry hair for a little definition.

It is a matter of trial and what your hair needs and loves. YMMV.

Good luck :cheer:

CampFireTiger
May 1st, 2019, 12:28 PM
Yeah my hair has just a small amount of wave but the frizz factor is real and nothing stops it except brushing them down with hair-spray on a toothbrush (not one I've used haha). What's your favorite serum to use spidermom?

nycelle
May 1st, 2019, 12:33 PM
I use them to get rid of frizz and tame flyaways. They're lighter than oils (at least the one I use) so didn't leave my hair greasy, and I think work much better on frizz.
I went back to my favorite hair serum (Ouai hair oil) a few months ago when I couldn't take the crazy dry winter we were having, and nothing I did was working to keep the flyaways tame.

Begemot
May 1st, 2019, 12:55 PM
You can use them to lock moisture in your hair (LCO and LOC methods). They also help when detangling and they give nice shine.

Fairy13
May 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM
I use them to get rid of frizz and tame flyaways. They're lighter than oils (at least the one I use) so didn't leave my hair greasy, and I think work much better on frizz.
I went back to my favorite hair serum (Ouai hair oil) a few months ago when I couldn't take the crazy dry winter we were having, and nothing I did was working to keep the flyaways tame.

Hi.. Have heard a lot about the Ouai hair oil. Is it too heavy? And which one do you use as there is another variant which is the silicone free rose fragnanced one...?

nycelle
May 1st, 2019, 02:25 PM
Hi.. Have heard a lot about the Ouai hair oil. Is it too heavy? And which one do you use as there is another variant which is the silicone free rose fragnanced one...?

It's very light. I use the This One (https://theouai.com/products/hair-oil?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh6XmBRDRARIsAKNInDFUcqvTUpcBHWWY 8cz4B9W34L73gzgcUVf-rjENvOdMlN_tSHhcKIkaAutdEALw_wcB) .
The other one they have, the Rose oil for hair and body, I've never tried (not a fan or rose scents) and I don't know if it's silicone free.

Hair oils made of just "oils", are heavy. I have one from Briogeo and I can't use it more than once before washing my hair. But I hate the way heavily oiled hair looks.

lapushka
May 1st, 2019, 04:44 PM
I use a serum as the last step in my LCO method (see signature). So: for styling purposes.

LadyAdelina
May 1st, 2019, 08:04 PM
I use it on wet hair to lock in moisture, and occasionally dry hair as needed to tame frizz or dry ends. I’ve noticed I have to put on way less when dry to avoid making it look oily.

RottenMango
May 1st, 2019, 08:19 PM
I use a serum everyday to seal in the moisture from my leave in or leave ins. It helps eliminate frizz and makes my hair soft.

pailin
May 2nd, 2019, 02:53 AM
I think they're marketed mainly for frizz and for hair health (hence the popularity of including tiny amounts of special oils), but work well for detangling. I think most non lhc folks don't have long enough hair to need the detangling as much though, which is why they don't usually emphasize it.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2019, 10:01 AM
My favorite so far is the CHI Silk Infusion.

Milkchocolate
May 2nd, 2019, 10:26 AM
I use them for adding moisture to my hair and making it have a sleeker look

Fairy13
May 2nd, 2019, 12:49 PM
It's very light. I use the This One (https://theouai.com/products/hair-oil?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh6XmBRDRARIsAKNInDFUcqvTUpcBHWWY 8cz4B9W34L73gzgcUVf-rjENvOdMlN_tSHhcKIkaAutdEALw_wcB) .
The other one they have, the Rose oil for hair and body, I've never tried (not a fan or rose scents) and I don't know if it's silicone free.

Hair oils made of just "oils", are heavy. I have one from Briogeo and I can't use it more than once before washing my hair. But I hate the way heavily oiled hair looks.

Thank you so much.. I hate my hair to be oily too, I anyways have fine hair.. Definitely going to try this one ...

leayellena
May 3rd, 2019, 02:14 AM
My opinion about serums: "don't use cony conditioners, they are not good for the environment". *Applies cony serum*. C'mon people I use a cony conditioner and I don't need to buy extra products. My hair is healthy except it's fairytaled

renia22
May 3rd, 2019, 07:14 AM
Thank you so much.. I hate my hair to be oily too, I anyways have fine hair.. Definitely going to try this one ...

If you go to Sephora, they have testers of these for to try. I have fine hair, but it’s wavy, and tend to get a little surface frizz Although I do use regular/ conventional types of conditioner that incorporate lighter silicones for my hair type, there’s still just this little halo I get, especially if it’s humid out. So I use a tiny bit of serum on dry/ almost dry hair to help smooth it out.

The ones from Ouai weigh my hair down no matter how little I use, but I’ve had better luck with Aveda Light Elements Smoothing fluid, or Keihl’s silk groom serum. All of these are on the pricier side, but if there is a mall around you with any of these stores, they have testers out, so you can see if any of them work on your hair type or not.

Entangled
May 3rd, 2019, 07:38 AM
I don't use serums (or maybe I do? Maybe my detangler counts?), but here's my two cents. A serum seems to be a liquid substance with multiple ingredients applied to the hair outside of the shower for leave-in purposes to achieve a desired result. The result achieved depends on what you're going for. So, some people might want less frizzy hair, and choose a serum that helps with that. Others might want shinier hair, or softer hair. I think serum is a catch-all term and it doesn't seem to have a standard formula or purpose, so all of the reasons you mentioned might apply.

lapushka
May 3rd, 2019, 07:53 AM
My favorite so far is the CHI Silk Infusion.

I still have an old bottle of that somewhere, I think I'll dig it out!

hollygolightly
May 5th, 2019, 06:45 PM
I like to use it when my hair is completely dry to preserve moisture, even if it already looks shiny and moisturized. This is because I don't want to lose that the next days before washing day