PDA

View Full Version : How long can I leave oil on my scalp?

Wusel
May 1st, 2019, 09:30 AM
Still doing the Inversion Method and I'm asking myself how long I can leave the oil mixture on my scalp without clogging follicles. It feels good, I enjoy the sleek-wet-look-updo and so, can I leave it on for longer than 24 hours? Thank you :)

Ylva
May 1st, 2019, 10:13 AM
I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't leave mine in for longer than a couple of hours. It may be that you wouldn't get any adverse effects from leaving it in for a longer period of time, but I can't say anything about that.

Dark40
May 1st, 2019, 10:28 AM
You can leave oil on your scalp overnight. What I usually do is when I moisturize my scalp I leave the oil on my scalp for 3 days, and I don't have any issues. Now, with the inversion method I don't know about that. I don't see why not leaving it on for several hours. Or, and extra day or so.

Wusel
May 1st, 2019, 10:32 AM
I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't leave mine in for longer than a couple of hours. It may be that you wouldn't get any adverse effects from leaving it in for a longer period of time, but I can't say anything about that.

Thank you :) I have it on since 20 hours now and don't feel the need to wash it out.

Wusel
May 1st, 2019, 10:35 AM
You can leave oil on your scalp overnight. What I usually do is when I moisturize my scalp I leave the oil on my scalp for 3 days, and I don't have any issues. Now, with the inversion method I don't know about that. I don't see why not leaving it on for several hours. Or, and extra day or so.

I have stopped the IM and just massage daily for 10-20 min. But I can massage pretty well with the oil which is still on my scalp, don't feel like there is a wash and new oil needed... But not sure if the oil could disturb the growing process? Like, follicles clogged with oil...

Reyn127
May 1st, 2019, 10:44 AM
I think it kind of varies from person to person. For me, more than about 2 hours is too much. I think your scalp will tell you when it wants the oil off - if it’s itchy or uncomfortable at all, or other annoying sensations, it’s definitely time to wash it out, and next time do a slightly shorter length of time so your scalp doesn’t get to that point.

Dark40
May 1st, 2019, 10:46 AM
I have stopped the IM and just massage daily for 10-20 min. But I can massage pretty well with the oil which is still on my scalp, don't feel like there is a wash and new oil needed... But not sure if the oil could disturb the growing process? Like, follicles clogged with oil...

Ok, that's good that you've stopped the IM and just massage daily for 10-20 min. I bet you can massage pretty well with the oil which is still on your scalp. If you hair and scalp starts to look and feel very greasy I would wash it out. Because, the oil could disturb the growing process! Like, follicles clogged with oil....

MusicalSpoons
May 1st, 2019, 11:23 AM
I think it kind of varies from person to person. For me, more than about 2 hours is too much. I think your scalp will tell you when it wants the oil off - if it’s itchy or uncomfortable at all, or other annoying sensations, it’s definitely time to wash it out, and next time do a slightly shorter length of time so your scalp doesn’t get to that point.

This is a good point. Last time I oiled was in anticipation of doing a scalp scrub, to try to protect it and my hair a bit, and my scalp started itching on and off about 2 or 3 hours before I washed. (It was only last week but I can't actually remember if I oiled it the night before or when I first woke up on the day :doh:)

Angela the Mer
May 1st, 2019, 12:33 PM
What's a scalp scrub?:o Is it to clean the scalp?
And I also didn't know people oiled their scalps, though it seems obvious now! I was always told to absolutely avoid the roots as you don't want them to get "greasier" and to just apply oil to the ends/ length.:p

Cg
May 1st, 2019, 12:39 PM
It also depends also on how dry your skin is. I could leave oil on my scalp forever because I have desert dry skin. For someone with naturally moist skin, it might be unnecessary to use oil at all. As so often here, YMMV.

MusicalSpoons
May 1st, 2019, 02:14 PM
It also depends also on how dry your skin is. I could leave oil on my scalp forever because I have desert dry skin. For someone with naturally moist skin, it might be unnecessary to use oil at all. As so often here, YMMV.

My scalp is oily but prone to dehydration, so usually oils don't actually *help* my scalp and they're more hassle than they're worth. Prior to last time (for protection from the product) I don't remember when I last oiled my scalp.

In short: I totally agree with you, YMMV indeed!

cestlavie
May 1st, 2019, 02:19 PM
For me 1-2 hours is more than enough. My scalp isn't dry by all means but I get equal results (shiny and smooth hair and a happy scalp) with 1-2 hours and overnight. But it seems the oil is harder to wash out after leaving it in overnight but everyone and their scalp is different.

Wusel
May 1st, 2019, 04:10 PM
Okay, I have washed it out after 28 hours. It started getting a bit itchy. So, next time I will do less than that.

lapushka
May 1st, 2019, 04:35 PM
What's a scalp scrub?:o Is it to clean the scalp?
And I also didn't know people oiled their scalps, though it seems obvious now! I was always told to absolutely avoid the roots as you don't want them to get "greasier" and to just apply oil to the ends/ length.:p

Some people oil their scalps, some get more shedding (more than would come out naturally), and if you get that, it's not exactly recommended. But a natural oil and not a lot of it (like drops to a small puddle over the entire head, so slowly distributed throughout the palms and then applied), should be fine. You do want to gauge it, because you don't want to be washing your hair 3 to 4 times to get the oil out, so be conservative if you do decide to do that.

And if you have an oily texture, I would not recommend extra oiling.

Knittink
May 1st, 2019, 05:41 PM
I massage in 6-10 drops of 1:1 castor/avocado oil with peppermint EO on my scalp every night, by morning it has disappeared (I don't know where it goes but my scalp doesn’t feel oily and my hair doesn’t look oily). I only wash 2x a week so some is on there 4 or so days I guess.