PDA

View Full Version : The non-simple routine thread!

LadyCelestina
May 1st, 2019, 12:46 AM
Post here if your routine is always a little extra! ;)

Let me explain. On this sub, the universally accepted truth is that longer hair benefits from a simple, no-harm routine: do as little as you can manage without harming the hair.

This is a great approach for some types of hair, and some types of people.

Now, I know that simple is subjective, and once you get used to it, even the most "extra" routine can feel simple. There's no point in policing or gatekeeping - I guess if you feel that on a general scale, you do a bit more to your hair than (LHC) average, feel free to post here! Maybe you dye it, maybe you have a dedicated deep conditioning routine, maybe you are a daily washer or do idk, keratin treatments...

Personally, I have curly hair, which by itself requires a little more care. A benign neglect routine is not possible for me, because as little as I can manage without harming the hair ... is still a lot - I can only have the benign neglect mindset! :p Plus I like when it looks nice, so I sometimes do heatless styling, or put a bit more effort into my updos etc.

Begemot
May 1st, 2019, 01:22 AM
Awesome thread! More can be more ;) I love treatments (done home or done by my hairdresser, also DIY recipes) and I like to try different ones. I also have my own weekly regimen for scalp care. Maybe my product junkie habits are a bit extra too.

Reyn127
May 1st, 2019, 10:48 AM
This is a great idea for a thread! My routine used to be super complicated, when I was doing rye flour washes for a year+. Most of my adventures with that are written in my blog here.

Now that I’m back to S/C, it’s much more simple. Although I do use 4 conditioners most times I wash my hair....

MusicalSpoons
May 1st, 2019, 11:49 AM
When I type out my routine with specifications about *how* I do each step, it sounds horrendously overwhelming. But it's really just C-W-ROO-C, with nothing between each wash apart from a scalp wash if necessary! But it also can't really be classed as 'simple' because the first C is pre-poo for an hour or so before washing, and the ROO ... Eh :shrug: maybe it's just plain 'average' by LHC standards, in terms of the total amount of effort - not a huge amount, but more than your basic S&C :lol:

LadyCelestina
May 1st, 2019, 01:09 PM
Awesome thread! More can be more ;) I love treatments (done home or done by my hairdresser, also DIY recipes) and I like to try different ones. I also have my own weekly regimen for scalp care. Maybe my product junkie habits are a bit extra too.

Oooh, scalp care regimen sounds interesting! Mind sharing? :)

This is a great idea for a thread! My routine used to be super complicated, when I was doing rye flour washes for a year+. Most of my adventures with that are written in my blog here.

Now that I’m back to S/C, it’s much more simple. Although I do use 4 conditioners most times I wash my hair....

I also sometimes use up to 3 different conditioners :lol: Usually a lighter and thicker one.

When I type out my routine with specifications about *how* I do each step, it sounds horrendously overwhelming. But it's really just C-W-ROO-C, with nothing between each wash apart from a scalp wash if necessary! But it also can't really be classed as 'simple' because the first C is pre-poo for an hour or so before washing, and the ROO ... Eh :shrug: maybe it's just plain 'average' by LHC standards, in terms of the total amount of effort - not a huge amount, but more than your basic S&C :lol:

Yes it does seem like many people on LHC make their wash day a bit extra, and then do little to nothing to it during the week :thumbsup:

Begemot
May 1st, 2019, 01:32 PM
Oooh, scalp care regimen sounds interesting! Mind sharing? :)

Sure! :) I have two products for my scalp at the moment. I either use both weekly before my wash days or switch between them bi-weekly and use either just once a week. I use an anti-fungal cream (usually diluted with water) that I apply to my scalp and let it sit over night. I use oil-free hydro gel the same way. I also do some scalp massaging before, during and/or after applying product, either with just fingers and palms or with my Tangle Teezer too (just some gentle brushing and massaging). That's about it. The past winter my favorite scalp product was a Sim System 4 Scalp lotion that I'll be repurchasing once I have used the hydro gel. I'm looking for an exfoliating product to use at home. Also my hairdresser does clay cleanse treatments for scalp and hair that I'm dying to try.

BerrySara
May 1st, 2019, 04:20 PM
Yay for this thread! I would say my routine wouldn't qualify as simple either lol

It actually is very simple except for wash day (once a week). BUT wash day sure makes up for it and makes my routine very non-simple.

Wash Day:

Starting with detangling before the shower, applying my high slip conditioner and using fingers + TT to detangle - takes about 20min.

Then hop in the shower, co-wash my hair with another conditioner or no-poo & wash body. Then hop out of the shower (this is my least favorite part of my routine - splitting my shower into two parts) to add Deep conditioner/mask + oil to hair in sections. Add cap and add heat for ~5min and then let sit for min. 20min (typically becomes ~ an hour because I am in the middle of something and I already got dressed). I always do a weekly deep conditioning/mask every time I shower.

Then hop back in shower to rinse out.

Out of shower, add a little bit of a leave in conditioner followed by curly styling cream. Add hair clips to slightly stretch and lift my hair at roots (bangs area) and then air dry. After fully dry, scrunch with argon oil to ends and sometimes massage scalp also with argon oil. If I am in a little bit of rush, I will use a floor fan to expedite the air drying. If I am in actual rush, I will use a diffuser on cold/warm occasionally but that I haven't done that for many months.

Lately I have been trying out fermented rice water rinse (twice so far) after cowashing but before deep conditioner/mask. That just added another layer...not sure if I will keep doing that but will for a little while longer to see how my hair likes it.

Non-Wash Days:

At night time or even when chilling at home, just loose pineapple and go to sleep.

In the morning, I wake up and take my hair out of the pineapple, shake it at the roots, leave it down while I go get ready and then I just either put it up or half up. Done. Litterally only spend less than 5 min on my hair daily...except wash day of course!

monkeelover15
May 1st, 2019, 10:39 PM
I wash once a week and I always use a hair mask even though my hair is straight.
Wash day:
I put oil in my length (jojoba, coconut, argon, etc whichever one is at my disposal) and let it soak for about an hour or more. If I have more time I will mix oil with conditioner as my prewash treatment(jjj long hair does this). When I was I use a shampoo bar first rinse(if I have like alot of oil or cones then I use something to remove it like Neutrogena shampoo)then put more conditioner (cheap like vo5) on my length.Then I use another shampoo and rinse then put a cone conditioner on like Aussie 3 minute miracle and let that sit while I wash everything else. After I have rinsed everything I get out and put my length in a t-shirt and let dry until damp. Then I use a hair mask like the Snowy Moon or store bought both I heat up oil like coconut or jojoba to mix in. I let that sit for as long as I can 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on my mood. Rinse in cold water then comb out and put on leave in conditioner and more cones, maybe some oil.
Non- wash day: comb, style, and maybe oil.
My SO thinks I'm a little too extra with my hair care routine.

monkeelover15
May 1st, 2019, 10:43 PM
Sorry about the typos...I'm on mobile and I didn't see it until after I posted it.

monkeelover15
May 1st, 2019, 10:48 PM
Is a pineapple a type of hairstyle or cap? I'm sorry that I'm a newbie with the lingo.:neutral:

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 12:36 AM
Is a pineapple a type of hairstyle or cap? I'm sorry that I'm a newbie with the lingo.:neutral:

It's a style :) you gently gather all the hair on top of your head and secure.

BerrySara
May 2nd, 2019, 09:45 AM

Yep, what Begemot said. Often used by curly and kinky hair as its a great way to preserve curls. I use a loose satin scrunchie for my pineapple and keep the curl integrity overnight while sleeping this way. Once it gets longer though...ill have to find something else.

https://youtu.be/v3APHCr_F6s

LadyCelestina
May 3rd, 2019, 01:33 AM
Sure! :) I have two products for my scalp at the moment. I either use both weekly before my wash days or switch between them bi-weekly and use either just once a week. I use an anti-fungal cream (usually diluted with water) that I apply to my scalp and let it sit over night. I use oil-free hydro gel the same way. I also do some scalp massaging before, during and/or after applying product, either with just fingers and palms or with my Tangle Teezer too (just some gentle brushing and massaging). That's about it. The past winter my favorite scalp product was a Sim System 4 Scalp lotion that I'll be repurchasing once I have used the hydro gel. I'm looking for an exfoliating product to use at home. Also my hairdresser does clay cleanse treatments for scalp and hair that I'm dying to try.

Thanks! What are your scalp issues? Or is it just preventative care?

LadyCelestina
May 3rd, 2019, 01:36 AM
Then hop in the shower, co-wash my hair with another conditioner or no-poo & wash body. Then hop out of the shower (this is my least favorite part of my routine - splitting my shower into two parts)

lol - this is why I am lazy about deep treatments! My hair likes them, but I just can't bring myself to split my showers :D

Begemot
May 3rd, 2019, 02:26 AM
Thanks! What are your scalp issues? Or is it just preventative care?

It's a bit of both. I had more serious scalp trouble in 2012-2013 and while the doc wasn't entirely sure, it was diagnosed as SD. My symptoms were both dry and greasy flakes but no itching (unless my scalp sweats). My symptoms calmed down for a long period of time but never fully went away until I started to use antifungal cream and other products on my scalp. Just recently realized that my issue is probably a fungal infection that doesn't respond too well to ketoconazol shampoo like Nizoral but antifungal cream does the trick. I also just believe that treating the skin of my scalp should be beneficial even when there's no acute medical condition messing with it. I just like skin care :)

LadyCelestina
May 3rd, 2019, 03:30 AM
It's a bit of both. I had more serious scalp trouble in 2012-2013 and while the doc wasn't entirely sure, it was diagnosed as SD. My symptoms were both dry and greasy flakes but no itching (unless my scalp sweats). My symptoms calmed down for a long period of time but never fully went away until I started to use antifungal cream and other products on my scalp. Just recently realized that my issue is probably a fungal infection that doesn't respond too well to ketoconazol shampoo like Nizoral but antifungal cream does the trick. I also just believe that treating the skin of my scalp should be beneficial even when there's no acute medical condition messing with it. I just like skin care :)

Sounds a lot like what I have, except I have itching too, and I don't respond to Nizoral or any of the strong sulfatey shampoo recommended for SD, they seem to exacarbate the issue. What antifungal cream do you use, or what is it's active ingredient?

Begemot
May 3rd, 2019, 04:11 AM
Sounds a lot like what I have, except I have itching too, and I don't respond to Nizoral or any of the strong sulfatey shampoo recommended for SD, they seem to exacarbate the issue. What antifungal cream do you use, or what is it's active ingredient?

Oh yes, strong shampoos just made it worse for me. Head&Shoulders was a nightmare. I have used two different antifungal creams so far: one has miconazole and one ketoconazole. Both have worked well for me, I haven't noticed any difference so far. I have pityriasis/tinea versicolor on other parts of my body every now and then and have even had oral anti-fungal medication for a moment (it was either ketoconaloze or fluconazole, I think). There's many different anti-fungal creams out there and it shouldn't cost much to give one a try if you suspect you could benefit from it :)

YvetteVarie
May 3rd, 2019, 05:35 AM
My hair routine is simple (for a type 4 head) but I cannot do benign neglect. My wash day routine is:

1. Finger detangle hair and braid it into about 9 - 12 sections
2. Shampoo with a sulfate shampoo
3. Deep condition with whichever hair mask is in rotation
4. Plop until hair is 50-60% dry
5. Detangle each section first using fingers, then a wide tooth comb. Apply my shea butter mix and African thread that section.
6. Airdry fully (takes about 12 - 24 hours)
7. Finger detangle and style for the week. Currently doing 2 Dutch braids, at other time I will keep the 12 braids and wear a wig that week

Extras:
1. I henna once a month in summer
2. I relax once a year
3. I am planning on incorporating rice water rinses during winter this year
4. I do the inversion method for a week every month

blackgothicdoll
May 3rd, 2019, 11:48 AM
I don't think mine is *too* complicated, but it's definitely not easy. I'm working on stretching washes which will be awesome, but with sweaty summer I have a hard time fighting the temptation to cleanse my scalp in cool water. It feels so good! Regardless, this is what my washes look like:

1. Heavily oil hair and massage scalp with oil, braid into 4 sections and leave in for a few hours
2. Hop in the shower, unbraid one section at a time, get fully wet (takes awhile due to oil + porosity) and then shampoo, add treatment and rebraid. Repeat with all braids.
3. If using a deep treatment, hop out of the shower, put on a hot cap and wait for 30 minutes (or longer if I get distracted)
4. Hop back in the shower, unravel one braid at a time and rinse out deep treatment. If the treatment wasn't particularly moisturizing, I add oil to the ends of my braids before rinsing and then follow with another conditioner and rebraid. Otherwise I would keep the hair braided.
5. Rinse hair while still in braids. This step has been life-changing in preventing tangles and keeping hair from drying out the moment I leave the shower. It keeps the moisture from being rinsed right off of the hair by trapping a bit of conditioner in. I only need to use a bit of leave in if some conditioner is left in, too.
6. Get out the shower.
7. While hair is still very wet, separate each braid in half, add leave in and some shea butter and braid again. This leaves me with 8 braids.
8. After all hair is braided, I put a bit of oil on my hands and run them over the braids, squishing out extra water.
9. I leave my hair in these braids for a day, usually wear styles with hats or scarves until the hair is dry.
10. Unbraid and either wear dutch braids, buns, or whatever. I don't tend to wear my hair out due to straight pieces from heat damage.

That wasn't so bad, right? :lol: