PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair ?

BinaBaby
April 30th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Hi,
So how does the hair best like being worn? Ive always thought it was down, but after reading some its one of the worst (?) way to wear hair?

So how do you wear it day to day and when you sleep?

<3

FennFire911
April 30th, 2019, 05:48 PM
In the daytime it's usually a lazy wrap bun. At night I either wear it loose with a sleep cap on, or in a wound up bun up on the crown of my head held with a silk scrunchie.

milosmomma
April 30th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Usually my hair is in a bun most days, usually a bun for sleeping as well just higher up in my head. Always held with a fork or stick. Less often I will wear a braid or double braids. Very rarely down but mostly just while drying.

Groovy Granny
April 30th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Welcome to LHC :waving:

My silver is fine and wispy and I love wearing it down in cooler temps.
The front is always contained in a half up or in a low ponytail with a hair tie of sorts (barrette/scrunchie/flexi etc)

For protection with chores/hats/hoods and in hot weather I wear it in a bun with a variety of fun/pretty hair accessories.
At bedtime it is put into twin english braids.

Enjoy the forum :cheer:

mackensey
April 30th, 2019, 11:02 PM
I wear it in two braids and then twist the two braids into one bun. I'm really trying to become better at braids so this has been my go-to for the last few weeks.

hayheadsbird
May 1st, 2019, 12:09 AM
Quick lazy wrap or nautilus bun with a stick for 80% of the time. Down to air dry, very occasionally for going out. Sometimes a braided variation of a bun. Sometimes just braided. Depends what im up to and how much time I have! I sleep in a single plait unless its been in more during they day, then I just leave them in.

Jo Ann
May 1st, 2019, 12:12 AM
I usually wear a LWB at work, but sometimes I'll change up the bun--wrap it a different way or just do something different. Sometimes, if my day has gone REALLY badly, I'll take my bun out for the last 20 minutes of my work day (and use it as a signal that I'm getting OUTTA here :p ). On my days off, it's usually down or in a bun.

One rope braid usually does me well (alternating shoulders) for sleep at night.

Glitch
May 1st, 2019, 12:19 AM
My hair is pretty much always down :) I'm pretty careful with it though, like making sure it's safe when I'm driving (seatbelt), tucked in during extreme cold weather or windy days, etc. Along with really good S&D sessions here and there, it's generally always in nice condition.

I really love cute buns though, I just wish I was skilled with them and that my hair wasn't so slippery.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 1st, 2019, 03:00 AM
My hair is nearly always bunned (sometimes braided) during the day, and loose but confined in a sleep cap for bed at night so i don't strangle anyone in my sleep with my hair. :p It also keeps my hair smooth and practically tangle free :)

ravenheather
May 1st, 2019, 05:56 AM
Daytime I'm usually wearing a nautilus bun or Dutch braid. Once or twice a week I'll wear it down. Single English braid to bed, unless I plan to wear it down he next day, then it's a pineapple to preserve the waves.

Danglish
May 1st, 2019, 07:38 AM
I almost always wear my hair up in a claw clip,(got a lot of them, in different colours and styles) since it's really short and slippery with plenty of layers. I've got some flexi's waiting for me, though, and I think I'll bun it with those when the shortest length is a bit longer

Haven
May 1st, 2019, 08:34 AM
I wear it down during the day (while being careful to not let it get caught in clothes or bag straps or the like) and in a bun while I sleep. When I take the bun out in the morning, I have pretty waves. :)

lapushka
May 1st, 2019, 09:18 AM
Hi,
So how does the hair best like being worn? Ive always thought it was down, but after reading some its one of the worst (?) way to wear hair?

So how do you wear it day to day and when you sleep?

<3

Down for sleep.
Up in a Nautilus for day.

My hair is classic length ATM.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :)

PatchouliSoleil
May 1st, 2019, 10:18 AM
9/10 times I wear it in two french or dutch braids on either side of my head - both during the day and while sleeping.
There is of course the odd time that I'll wear it in a pony tail, messy bun, or just down, but my hair seems to retain the most length and be the healthiest when I just braid it and leave it.

CampFireTiger
May 1st, 2019, 11:35 AM
Mine is only shoulder length so keeping it down isn't overly harmful, it just causes wear and tear once you have it longer because of mechanical damage from things like seat belts, purse straps, leaning back while sitting, etc. Right now I keep it down most of the week and put it in oiled double dutch braids or a peacock twist when it gets close to my wash day twice a week.

Angela the Mer
May 1st, 2019, 12:20 PM
I usually wear my hair in a simple plait (I think they're called in English plaits?), or in a low pony, or I wear it up using a large hair clip. I'm more partial to the plait as it feels protective and I am trying to reach waist as quick as possible.

daisy rei
May 1st, 2019, 12:22 PM
I'm confused. Didn't we all just answer this question.....? (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149714)

milosmomma
May 1st, 2019, 03:02 PM
I'm confused. Didn't we all just answer this question.....? (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149714)

I think you're right, a very similar thread is bumping around "how do you wear your hair MOST OF THE TIME?' :lol: oh well maybe they can be combined?

Edit: sorry I just noticed you linked the thread! My backlight is down really low and I missed it.

MusicalSpoons
May 1st, 2019, 03:44 PM
I think you're right, a very similar thread is bumping around "how do you wear your hair MOST OF THE TIME?' :lol: oh well maybe they can be combined?

Edit: sorry I just noticed you linked the thread! My backlight is down really low and I missed it.

So glad it's not just me noticing! In fairness they have different supplementary questions - fancy, and sleep ;)

Mine is bunned almost always. Even for sleep, but it's looser at the scalp for my sleep bin and I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Down is definitely one of the worst ways to wear hair of certain types and always beyond a certain length. It gets caught, rubs against clothing or chairs, gets caught in bag straps, gets blown about and tangles (or just tangles because it feels like it), etc. Some of us find that the ends literally float about in the air and get into things we walk or move past!

A plait/braid can be protective for some people; for others it's not if it hangs down and runs against clothing, chairs, gets caught in bag straps ... for me it is almost no more protective than a ponytail, apart from stopping the ends floating :lol: Also anything you tie off with a hair elastic can cause damage where the hairtie goes - however for hair too short to bun, braids can be the best option until buns are doable. There are also some hairtypes that do better in braids than in buns, for whatever reason (I have no idea, but I've read others saying theirs does). The relevant length threads will have suggestions for suitable styles to minimise damage :)

Edit: how long is your hair right now, BinaBaby, if you don't mind me asking?