PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair most of the time?

Haziel
April 30th, 2019, 08:19 AM
So ladies and gentlemen how do you wear your hair most of the time? In a pony? Loose? In a braid? In a bun? Or something I've never heard of? And what do you do when you want it fancy?

Reyn127
April 30th, 2019, 08:38 AM
Most of the time, my hair is in a bun. My favorites are the nautilus and the L-infinity. Sometimes, when I want to wear my hair “down” I will put it in a ponytail with bands every few inches down the length to keep it contained as well. For my hair, that seems to cause less damage than having my hair down in a braid. My hair is only down and loose when I am at home relaxing.

For fancy, there’s a lot of options to choose from. Sometimes I will just do one of my regular buns, pull out my regency bangs (short curls all around the edge of the hairline, even in the back), and add hair accessories. Another one I like to do is a pull-through ponytail, split in two and braided separately, and then wrapped either around my head, or back through the pull-through loop a couple of times. I’ve also done really intricate things like a spiraling crown braid, which looked awesome but took 40+ minutes to do on myself.

So a lot of things can look fancy pretty easily, but it’s also dependent on how much time and effort you want to put in. In general, I’ve found a LOT of hairstyle ideas on YouTube. Look up and watch all sorts of hair videos - styles from actual hairdressers, wedding/prom updos, videos from dedicated hair channels, regular old people, apostolic/Pentecostal styles.... there are so many ideas out there. Just keep an eye out for rough handling of hair in some of the videos, and do your best to adapt gentler methods. And also keep in mind, you don’t HAVE to follow along with a certain style, you can just watch to get various ideas of techniques and sectioning, and build your own style from the things you like.

LadyCelestina
April 30th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Most of the time, I wear my hair in a claw clip held messy bun, or a half up with a claw clip, or just loose!

I love my claw clip. It's small, ornamental, black and doesn't look tacky. I can hide it with my hair and have a bun that looks like it's not held by anything. I can use it to make a perfect fake pony. It never tugs at my hair.

Idk what I'll do when I lose it or it gets damaged or my hair becomes too long for it.

ArabellaRose
April 30th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Nautilus bun with either a stick or a fork for me :)

Ylva
April 30th, 2019, 09:12 AM
In a braid that hangs down. Down-braids have sort of become my signature style, I feel.

Luna Starsetta
April 30th, 2019, 09:26 AM
I normally just wear it down even when I want to be fancy I still wear it down I normally just add a tinge of makeup.

Once a week around wash day I do braid it but because I use a BBB and some oils of choice and normally wash the next morning.

When I clean or have to move around a lot normally a high pony or LWB but I take it right back out when I'm done.

I find it comforting to have my hair down.

Simpscone
April 30th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Down completely, or down with the sides pinned up, or half-up in a pony. I also wear a pineapple a lot in the evening at home.

My hair is nearly APL, so it's still short enough that it doesn't need to go up all the time, and that a lot of protective styles won't work anyway!

Deborah
April 30th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Up in a bun during the day. In a braid at night.

MusicalSpoons
April 30th, 2019, 10:46 AM
In a bun, usually with a fork or flexi.

Fancy = more intricate bun, braid / braided bun, sparkly hairtoy, or something that shows off the length (which is how a ponytail is fancy for me :lol: it takes far more effort to keep my hair safe, and to deal with the aftermath ;))

littlestarface
April 30th, 2019, 11:06 AM
My hair is always always in a braided fake nautilus bun held by my icicle everyday all day.

Fancy? I wear it down with some jewels in it.

spidergoat
April 30th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Buns! Braids seem to cause damage for me, so I bun with a fork, stick, or Ficcare during the day, usually a LWB or a Gibraltar or this strange cinnabun variation. At night I use a sleep bonnet. I do wear it loose when I'm drying it, but once it's only slightly damp, it goes up again. I guess I've been wearing it up long enough that it feels weird to have it down all day.

bparnell75
April 30th, 2019, 12:12 PM
always up in a Spock or Nessa or Posh bun, unless down to dry. I have tried a double wrap LWB lately. [lays flatter to the head] Sometimes I braid for night time.

Dark40
April 30th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Most of the time my is in a pony or it's loose. Sometimes I'll wear it in a bun with jaw clips. I love jaw clips.

MoonRabbit
April 30th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Spock bun every day. Sometimes loose late in the day to give my scalp a rest.

Groovy Granny
April 30th, 2019, 12:16 PM
In cooler temps I enjoy wearing my hair down in half ups and low ponytails; the front is always secured (too wispy) with scrunchies, small flexis and barrettes.

When it warms up I need my hair off my neck and enjoy twists and buns (cinnamon/LWB/nautilus) with forks, sticks, flexis and clips.

It is always bunned for chores and when wearing hats and hoods.

For bedtime my hair is in twin english braids

neko_kawaii
April 30th, 2019, 12:21 PM
During the day it is in a bun, usually Spidermom's, Lazy Wrap, or Nautilus. Held by a stick or fork. At night I either wear a braid or a silk cap.

hinabelle
April 30th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Right now I've been doing wash and go with pineapples and twists (but I avoid it if I can help it). I'm just trying to make sure my ends don't touch anything.

Sora Rose
April 30th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Up in a bun, or in a braid. I rarely wear it down - and in public it's always up.

daisy rei
April 30th, 2019, 12:42 PM
The Nautilus is my go-to bun, usually held with a fork or stick. I like my hair to be up and out of the way, out of sight and out of mind. It’s only down for a brief period when I’m lounging around at home.

ETA: I never experiment with styles - I’m just too lazy and care too little. I’d rather wear a fancy hair toy than an elaborate updo.

Stray_mind
April 30th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Usually in a peacock twist with a claw clip, but as my ends are sticking out more and more, i am considering buns more and more.

I just discovered a wrapped hair stick bun thanks to lovely Luluj and i think it will become my every day style for now.

teeks
April 30th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Knot bun with a simple stick. Braided at night.

JennGalt
April 30th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Usually in a high bun; LWB or nautilus during the daytime, beebutt for sleeping. Bubble ponytail if I need to work or go out while it’s not quite dry (banding method disguised). Fancy is a low LWB with two rosewood hair sticks, but I think perhaps now I can try doing an orchid bun for special occasions.

RottenMango
April 30th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Half of the time down and half of the time in a bun.

HaMalka
April 30th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Usually in a braided lazy wrap bun held by a stick or a braided cinnamon bun held by u-pins.

Special events depend on the type of special. It can be a braided LWB held by a fancy stick. It can be a far more intricate braided bun. It can be a fake crown braid. It can be a regular cinnamon bun. If appropriate, sparkly stuff and other decorations or ribbons get added.

Cg
April 30th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Always bunned. Daytime usually French-braided helix or spidermom's. Nights topknot Gibraltar + sleep cap readjusted practically every time I move.

I use elegant hairtoys to fancify the same ole buns.

Aerya
April 30th, 2019, 02:05 PM
English braid at night and disc bun during the day. Placement varies and sometimes I'll add braid accents or leave some hairs out. Occasionally I go real crazy and wear braids, but they make me look like a little kid and my hair is a bit too short for braids for my taste, so yeah. Bun it is. :)

lithostoic
April 30th, 2019, 03:43 PM
I put it in a bun for work. Which is 5 days a week so I'd call that most of the time lol. At home or on weekends I sometimes wear it down.

AmaryllisRed
April 30th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Braids and buns and braided buns.
Fancy is in the hair toy.

lapushka
April 30th, 2019, 04:32 PM
In a bun, in a Nautilus to be exact. :)

Zesty
April 30th, 2019, 05:15 PM
I wear my hair in a bun the majority of the time. An orchid bun with two hair sticks is my latest go-to, though I also frequently wear a double wrapped LWB, braided bun, cinnamon bun...

I don't wear braids except for short periods of time when my bun would otherwise bump into things. E.g. going to the movies, the dentist, long car trips, etc.

I wear it down when it suits me, though that isn't all that often because it needs to be taken care of if it's down.

For fanciness I usually do a braided side bun.

cjk
May 1st, 2019, 01:43 PM
Lately something like this, twists on both sides joined into a curly ponytail.

Quick but obviously intentional.

https://i.imgur.com/LZFeZyt_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

kidari
May 1st, 2019, 11:29 PM
My hair is usually in a plain bun either higher up on my head or lower down on my head. However, lately I've been liking high or low ponytails (although I know this is not really a protective style). If I'm being fancy I'll wear it down and styled in heat-free curls. At night I usually pineapple my hair or wear it in large foam rollers and a scarf over it.

Begemot
May 2nd, 2019, 01:31 AM
Peacock twist held with a claw clip is how I wear my hair most of the time at the moment. My hair is loose, on a bun or braided during nights.

MadelineMomo
May 2nd, 2019, 10:53 AM
With it basically being summer now (at least by the reckoning of the weather where I am) I basically only wear my hair down with tank tops. All other days, usually a bun or other updo.

With tank tops, I can feel my hair against my shoulders and arms, and I love that. Otherwise, the “costs” (ie how being against the fabric of my shirt pulls the curls apart into frizz, getting caught under bag straps, back of the chair, etc.) aren’t worth it. But when I can feel my hair again my skin, it is. Particularly, feeling my hair brush my elbows, which it’s just starting to reach, makes it feel long to me.

When I was 6, I had long hair, which I ultimately cut because my mom wouldn’t let me wear it unbraided, ever. (To be fair, she was the one brushing it out.) What I’ve taken away from that is that yes, you should protect your hair—but not to the point where you never get to enjoy it.

clandestine
May 2nd, 2019, 08:59 PM
LWB or a low cinnabun held with a springy hair tie are my go to styles lately. My layers make braids annoying.