PDA

View Full Version : I had cradle cap as a baby - does this mean I have SD?

Ylva
April 29th, 2019, 04:38 PM
The title pretty much speaks for itself. I had cradle cap as a baby, but like usual, it cleared up very quickly. I am confused about one thing however: does the fact that I had it mean I have some kind of underlying seborrheic dermatitis, or would it be diagnosed separately as a adult if I had it these days?

My scalp doesn't react adversely to oils or conditioners, but I do make sure to wash and rinse it very carefully. All in all, I don't think I experience any symptoms of SD now as an adult, but my scalp does prefer to be cleaned properly.

milosmomma
April 29th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Not much help, but interested to hear responses. DD had this as a baby and now almost teenager she is starting to have some dandruff. Will be following :)

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 04:58 PM
The title pretty much speaks for itself. I had cradle cap as a baby, but like usual, it cleared up very quickly. I am confused about one thing however: does the fact that I had it mean I have some kind of underlying seborrheic dermatitis, or would it be diagnosed separately as a adult if I had it these days?

My scalp doesn't react adversely to oils or conditioners, but I do make sure to wash and rinse it very carefully. All in all, I don't think I experience any symptoms of SD now as an adult, but my scalp does prefer to be cleaned properly.

If your scalp is fine now, I doubt you have anything to worry about. There's people who have CC as a baby who grow up to be fine. I didn't and continue to have a problematic scalp. I did have this on and off and as a teen I rarely suffered with it, oddly enough.

ETA/

But if there's flakes, I would keep an eye on it, milosmomma. I get the itch or the flakes first, if I leave that alone too long, I get redness and I can scratch my skin off my scalp if I'm not careful it itches that bad. I would have a derm take a look if you're worried.

Ylva
April 29th, 2019, 05:20 PM
If your scalp is fine now, I doubt you have anything to worry about. There's people who have CC as a baby who grow up to be fine. I didn't and continue to have a problematic scalp. I did have this on and off and as a teen I rarely suffered with it, oddly enough.

ETA/

But if there's flakes, I would keep an eye on it, milosmomma. I get the itch or the flakes first, if I leave that alone too long, I get redness and I can scratch my skin off my scalp if I'm not careful it itches that bad. I would have a derm take a look if you're worried.

Alright. Thank you! I’ll probably stick to the proper cleansing anyway, at least.

Julescarm
April 29th, 2019, 05:45 PM
Cradle cap is just built up sebum and dried skin. Its completely normal for a newborn. Just like their skin shedding. It usually slows down and evens out in terms of oil production.

Ylva
April 29th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Cradle cap is just built up sebum and dried skin. Its completely normal for a newborn. Just like their skin shedding. It usually slows down and evens out in terms of oil production.

That’s what my mom said, too, that it’s very common in babies, but it confused me that it was also referred to as SD.

lapushka
April 30th, 2019, 07:13 AM
That’s what my mom said, too, that it’s very common in babies, but it confused me that it was also referred to as SD.

Because in effect it is the same thing. But plenty of babies have that, and most I guess "grow out of it" as it were.

Even people who never have SD, can suddenly get it due to improper cleansing habits. There has to be a reason for that fungus to overgrow and it can happen in anyone.

Ylva
April 30th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Because in effect it is the same thing. But plenty of babies have that, and most I guess "grow out of it" as it were.

Even people who never have SD, can suddenly get it due to improper cleansing habits. There has to be a reason for that fungus to overgrow and it can happen in anyone.

Yeah, I guess CC could mean there's an increased risk for SD later on, but doesn't guarantee it, just like not having had CC doesn't guarantee that you WON'T get SD later.

lapushka
April 30th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I guess CC could mean there's an increased risk for SD later on, but doesn't guarantee it, just like not having had CC doesn't guarantee that you WON'T get SD later.

Yep, that's exactly it! :)

Kat
April 30th, 2019, 08:51 PM
I never had cradle cap, but I'm pretty sure I have a mild form of SD now.

And yes, it did not ever matter what my "cleansing habits" were. I've had it since middle school. I've had it when I washed my hair every day and my face twice a day and when I used acne treatments for acne, and I've had it when I haven't washed for weeks and when I've rarely washed my face. The only difference cleaning seems to make is that being soggy (as in a long shower where I wash my hair) loosens up the buildup on both hair and face and makes it easier to remove (though it can certainly be removed anyway), and if removed on a regular basis obviously there is less of it built up. But for me nothing I do makes a difference to severity, only weather can do that (as often happens, it is worse in winter, and when I lived in a very humid climate, I had almost no flakes/buildup, but the trade-off was extremely oily skin, more so than even normal for U.S. climate. The oil was still easier to deal with as it's easily washed/wiped/powdered away in the space of about one minute, unlike flakes).