PDA

View Full Version : Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting - Anybody Here? Hair experiences?

Wusel
April 28th, 2019, 10:26 AM
I'm on a Keto Diet and IF since 2014 for health reasons. I had Diabetes and it's gone on carb-free diet. Sugar levels perfect. Anybody else here who does this and has very long hair? I eat only fat and protein and only in a 5 to max 8 hour window. Not sure if this is good for fast hair growth or not. I mean, there is a ton of benefits from Keto diet and IF. Anti-Aging, clear skin, cells renew faster... I see it on my skin. It looks better than 6 years ago and didn't age at all. But theoretically there is no nutrition for my hair during 16-18 hours... hmm.

akurah
April 28th, 2019, 10:49 AM
If you are eating *enough* food with the right nutrients, I doubt your body cares how you ingest it (ex: if it's between a specific window, or if it's 24 tiny meals over 24 hours) within a single 24 hour period. We, as a species, already generally fast for about 8 to 12 hours anyway when we sleep overnight, and historically, we would fast longer based on food availability. Muslims also fast during Ramadan unless they have a medical exception, so humans can tolerate fasting. Nonetheless I am not knowledgeable enough about IF to speculate on fasts longer than 24 or so hours.

I personally am not a fan of the keto diet for a number of reasons unless you are epileptic, but that's neither here nor there. Insofar as keto's side effects on hair, I was going to suggest googling "Keto side effects", but most of the articles I got were biased heavily, and the ones biased for Keto won't help you, and the ones biased against keto I think would just offend you. This is the least biased looking one from my 5 minute search, and I do not see listing of anything hair, skin, or nail related as a side effect of keto: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317431.php

Frankly, if you have been on it since 2014, if you are not noticing any ill effects in your fingernails, you are unlikely to have any ill effects on your hair. The side effects would have shown up by now, and it would have shown up first in your fingernails most likely as it's generally more obvious and visible there.

cjk
April 28th, 2019, 11:04 AM
The idea of three meals a day is fairly recent and certainly not necessary.

Keto is high in protein and when done right is perfectly healthy. And hair is protein.

Hair changes, commonly loss, are a common side effect but that's due largely to hormonal shifts as your body heals on the earlier stages. Pregnancy is pretty common too. Keto babies are a thing.

You're long term. You're stable. You're healthy. You've got this.

Chromis
April 28th, 2019, 12:12 PM
We have threads here for both with information which you are seeking. I've done both for years and have calf-length hair, but no time to type out more.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 28th, 2019, 12:23 PM
I have been doing IF since January of this year and had no ill effects on my hair. In fact, going from DH's measurements it has gone from 58" last December to 63" now. Unusual though that may seem. I don't know if that is due to the IF or some other reason.

hinabelle
April 28th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Hi! I have been doing keto since early 2016 and all different types of fasting since late 2016.
My skin, hair, and nails are much healthier than they were before I started either of these lifestyles.

At the most basic explanation, the processes which happen most frequently in your body include replacing hair, skin, and nails.
Through keto and/or fasting, your body has devotes less energy to hormonal regulation (insulin), catabolism (breaking down food),
and energy storage (converting glucose to a storage-friendly form of energy).
That means your system is less 'bogged down' by these processes, and has more energy to devote to keeping the rest of your body running at optimal turnover for processes that happen more quickly -- hair, skin, and nails for example.

Source: I just graduated with a life sciences degree and fasting/keto research has been my pet project since I began in 2016 :)

Pajarita
April 28th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Hi! I have been doing keto since early 2016 and all different types of fasting since late 2016.
My skin, hair, and nails are much healthier than they were before I started either of these lifestyles.

At the most basic explanation, the processes which happen most frequently in your body include replacing hair, skin, and nails.
Through keto and/or fasting, your body has devotes less energy to hormonal regulation (insulin), catabolism (breaking down food),
and energy storage (converting glucose to a storage-friendly form of energy).
That means your system is less 'bogged down' by these processes, and has more energy to devote to keeping the rest of your body running at optimal turnover for processes that happen more quickly -- hair, skin, and nails for example.

Source: I just graduated with a life sciences degree and fasting/keto research has been my pet project since I began in 2016 :)

This is really encouraging. I've felt good doing a cyclical keto diet over the last few years as far as energy, blood sugar regulation, and weight, etc. But I was treating my hair too poorly to notice any beneficial effect. Sounds like committing to a vegetable-rich keto diet AND taking care of my hair (for once) will work well to get me to my goals.

ritza
April 28th, 2019, 04:49 PM
I’m currently doing IF,but I just started so I’m learning..I make sure to take my daily vitamins.

Wusel
April 29th, 2019, 02:08 AM
Thank you all very much :) Sounds like I'm on the right path. I mean, I have to do it anyway to keep my blood sugar on a good level, but, yes, since I do it I see tons of positive side effects on my skin, nails, hair too. I went through a huge shed last year, that's another reason why I have cut it, but it was due to stress. I was written sick for months again and finally, after so many years, got the correct diagnosis and know now why I'm so overloaded often. I was diagnosed with high functioning autism (Asperger's) and a 146 IQ. Which makes my life so hard sometimes. So, I'm practically the female version of Sheldon Cooper. LOL! And Keto plus IF help with autism sensory overloads too.

Wusel
April 29th, 2019, 02:14 AM
I’m currently doing IF,but I just started so I’m learning..I make sure to take my daily vitamins.

I take vitamins too. Just in case. And because I don't eat fruit and veg at all. I have to be under 20 grams of carbs per day and don't tolerate fibres from veg and fructose from fruit. So, I get diarrhea when I eat fruit or veg. So, therefore I take Vitamin C and A. Everything else I get from nuts, eggs, meat, fish and dark chocolate (95%, love that).

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2020, 02:30 PM
Resurrecting an old thread - DH and I are going to start a 5 day water only fast tomorrow, is there any chance it could cause shedding? I have previously done 3 day WO fasts with no problems, but never a 5 day fast. Any ideas, or advice?

I hope to continue on afterwards with IF, probably 16:8.

Ylva
May 7th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Resurrecting an old thread - DH and I are going to start a 5 day water only fast tomorrow, is there any chance it could cause shedding? I have previously done 3 day WO fasts with no problems, but never a 5 day fast. Any ideas, or advice?

I hope to continue on afterwards with IF, probably 16:8.

It's best to gradually let your body get used to longer and longer fasts. Have you done any longer (48h+) fasts lately?

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2020, 08:27 AM
It's best to gradually let your body get used to longer and longer fasts. Have you done any longer (48h+) fasts lately?

No, I haven't. I will be taking a supplement of containing 87 vitamins and minerals each day though, it's a powder you mix into a glass of water.

Ylva
May 8th, 2020, 08:55 AM
No, I haven't. I will be taking a supplement of containing 87 vitamins and minerals each day though, it's a powder you mix into a glass of water.

I think that's going to break the fast by raising insulin, so technically you'd only be doing five 24-hour fasts in a row. However, you're not taking in energy, so you'd still be burning your body fat.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2020, 08:59 AM
I think that's going to break the fast by raising insulin, so technically you'd only be doing five 24-hour fasts in a row. However, you're not taking in energy, so you'd still be burning your body fat.

Do you think I would be better to not take the powder and just do water only? I haven't fasted at all since last year when I did IF for several months. I haven't done fasting of any kind this year, in fact more the opposite. And do you still think I should do a shorter fast before beginning IF? I want to break a sugar addiction. Actually today (Day 1 ) has gone very well, I just came home from doing a short bike ride(just a couple of km).

Ylva
May 8th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Do you think I would be better to not take the powder and just do water only? I haven't fasted at all since last year when I did IF for several months. I haven't done fasting of any kind this year, in fact more the opposite. And do you still think I should do a shorter fast before beginning IF? I want to break a sugar addiction. Actually today (Day 1 ) has gone very well, I just came home from doing a short bike ride(just a couple of km).

Hmm, honestly, I think 48-hour fasts are quite amazing. You could do a few of those rather than a prolonged one. Going on a low-carb diet if you aren't yet on one is extremely efficient for breaking sugar addiction. But we should probably talk about this more in the low-carb (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139676) and IF threads. People tend to get angry about this kind of talk over in this sub-forum.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2020, 09:40 AM
Hmm, honestly, I think 48-hour fasts are quite amazing. You could do a few of those rather than a prolonged one. Going on a low-carb diet if you aren't yet on one is extremely efficient for breaking sugar addiction. But we should probably talk about this more in the low-carb (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139676) and IF threads. People tend to get angry about this kind of talk over in this sub-forum.

They do? How does it affect them? And I only put this here in the first place because I couldn't find the IF thread....

Ylva
May 8th, 2020, 09:46 AM
They do? How does it affect them? And I only put this here in the first place because I couldn't find the IF thread....

I know, I'm not blaming you for posting here. I just have bad experiences of talking about dietary choices and fasting over here. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2020, 09:55 AM
I know, I'm not blaming you for posting here. I just have bad experiences of talking about dietary choices and fasting over here. :D

Oh, that's a shame. Thank you, anyway.

cestlavie
May 8th, 2020, 09:56 AM
I started IF a few days ago and was also wondering if that affected hair growth/hair loss. If there is a special IF thread I would gladly join!

Hasse
May 8th, 2020, 11:58 PM
I did IF for two years around 2015 (5:2, sometimes 16:8 or even OMAD) and never experienced excessive hairloss. At the time I was bleaching my hair to death and didn't focus on length, so I can't comment on hair growth :).

I'm going to do IF again though, starting today. I liked the results I got from it and hope for a little bit more energy and mental clarity (which I achieved last time).

Sarahlabyrinth
May 9th, 2020, 04:33 AM
I started IF a few days ago and was also wondering if that affected hair growth/hair loss. If there is a special IF thread I would gladly join!

There is one, but I can't find it.

SpottedBackson
May 9th, 2020, 04:35 AM
From personal experience:

Keto = great for hair growth,

Fasting = caused major hair loss and reduced the quality of hair still growing

Granted, I was not eating nearly enough when I was fasting but I suspect that anymore than a 48 hour fast is going to put you in that zone. Basically, your hair is an extra so if you're not meeting your metabolic needs then your hair will suffer, it won't get any resources. I agree with Ylva, shorter fasts may be the way to go.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 9th, 2020, 04:39 AM
From personal experience:

Keto = great for hair growth,

Fasting = caused major hair loss and reduced the quality of hair still growing

Granted, I was not eating nearly enough when I was fasting but I suspect that anymore than a 48 hour fast is going to put you in that zone. Basically, your hair is an extra so if you're not meeting your metabolic needs then your hair will suffer, it won't get any resources. I agree with Ylva, shorter fasts may be the way to go.

Ok, thank you. :) I will just do IF, then. And try Keto.

Hairkay
January 10th, 2021, 01:53 PM
I've just ventured into the keto thing only mine is low histamine as well. It's all to do with better way to manage my long Covid symptoms. Up until December I was vegetarian because of Covid taste bud problems. Meat (usually chicken) tasted bad but my full taste came back just before the holidays. What's surprised me is how quick there was a change. My muscle fatigue and tremors are going down. That screwed up head and tummy feeling is a bit reduced as well. There's less pain from my swollen lymph nodes too. I am hoping with more time there'll be more progress. I don't know if this is something I have to keep on doing for a long time or just a month or a few months. I also now take high dose vitamin D instead of my regular vitamin D dose. I also have some antihistamine herbal infusions. I used that before this illness to deal with hayfever. Cooking has been fun. I keep it simple so that I don't use up all my precious energy cooking. It's a good thing that I've always like vegetables.

0xalis
January 10th, 2021, 06:34 PM
If you've ever battled with an eating disorder, IF is strongly not recommended for you. That's all I have to say on the matter.

AngelAlly
January 16th, 2021, 06:56 AM
I have been trying intermittent fasting for about a month now and I haven’t noticed any difference in my hair. I mainly stick to 16:8. I did fast for 18 hours once. I don’t do keto but I am trying to cut back on sugar as well. I also take a multi vitamin.

leayellena
January 18th, 2021, 04:44 AM
I can't really understand the fasting thing.
I mean my method: not eating before 8:00 and after 20:00 works good for me. I lost 10 kg in a year.
many times I wake up at 10:00 and eat my first meal at noon or 13:00, then 2 or 3 meals until 20:00. I can't eat too much at once either. onbe big home made sanswich is enough for 3 hours or more, while before I started my method I ate 2 big home made sandwiches.
sleep helps me to fast, while stress, nervousness, being active definitely makes me hungry and I eat more than I should. I just feel too hungry when I'm active.
I drink a lot of tea and water during my fasting hours on daily basis though.

Hairkay
January 18th, 2021, 06:28 AM
I can't really understand the fasting thing.
I mean my method: not eating before 8:00 and after 20:00 works good for me. I lost 10 kg in a year.
many times I wake up at 10:00 and eat my first meal at noon or 13:00, then 2 or 3 meals until 20:00. I can't eat too much at once either. onbe big home made sanswich is enough for 3 hours or more, while before I started my method I ate 2 big home made sandwiches.
sleep helps me to fast, while stress, nervousness, being active definitely makes me hungry and I eat more than I should. I just feel too hungry when I'm active.
I drink a lot of tea and water during my fasting hours on daily basis though.

I'm currently not eating too early because it takes me awhile to get up from bed. Meals fall between 11.30am to 7pm though there are a few days it's been later. I'm more after the low histamine keto thing than fasting.

LadyEliza
January 20th, 2021, 03:20 PM
I was Keto for 4 years with IF during the last 2 at least. Didn't seem to affect my hair, but it wasn't very long at that point. Then 2020 hit and I was sick of feeling deprived and went back to eating LOADS of BAD carbs. All my weight came back, my cough came back (not good in a Covid environment!). After a year I realised that my bad eating was making me sick, weight gain, my rosacea was bad and, as I said, I had a constant cough.
So, December 20 I started to convert back to keto, finally done with all things bad by the end of 2020 and eating moderate protein, very little carbs, and cooking in butter and lard. My cough has stopped, unfortunately my rosacea is still acting up and I hope I'm losing weight (I lost over 30kg last time) but my scales are broken so I don't know.
Through all this my hair just grew the regular 1/2 inch a month. The only time I lost any thickness was when I cut my fringe myself, managing to cut more then intended! So the thickness is really still there....just shorter in spots! (bah humbug)