PDA

View Full Version : My hair is acting up- I need help!

toastertroodle
April 26th, 2019, 07:23 PM
I am still pretty new to haircare and I’m at a bit of a loss currently. My hair is virgin save for tiny bits of old highlights and I almost never heat style my hair so overall it’s very healthy, yet it’s been feeling really gross for the past couple of months or so. My roots are getting greasy quickly but are frizzy at the same time, and my length has been feeling so dry and not soft regardless of my attempts at moisture. I had been using Herbal Essence Bio Renew Naked Volume shampoo and trying various conditioners (Mane and Tail, Vo5, Herbal Essence LTR) and the occasional deep treatment with Aussie 3MM. I recently tried switching to Toadstool’s natural shampoo and conditioner and it has seemed to make my hair feel even worse. I’ve tried ACV rinses and it used to help a lot when my hair had that dry feeling but it hasn’t seemed to be as effective lately. I’m really just at a loss and am feeling very frustrated and unhappy with my hair :/

Ylva
April 26th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Have you clarified your hair lately? Do you use any leave-ins? Have you tried ROO?

Dark40
April 26th, 2019, 07:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your hair lately. Sounds like it to me that your hair needs a good protein treatment or conditioner. Not anything too heavy of protein but like a light protein conditioner. You can try the ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has a light protein ingredient in it, and at the same time it is also very moisturizing as well. Now, to tame the frizz I would use Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream. Or, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Humidity Hair Milk. I think that's what they call it. Also, at times it's always good to use a heavy or thick deep moisturizing conditioner on your hair too. About a couple of weeks ago my hair was looking and feeling gross too. Especially, at the ends. But I've been trying out a couple of different shampoos, conditioners, masks. They've all been helping me to tame my frizzy dry looking hair.

Ylva
April 26th, 2019, 07:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your hair lately. Sounds like it to me that your hair needs a good protein treatment or conditioner. Not anything too heavy of protein but like a light protein conditioner. You can try the ORS Replenishing Conditioner. It has a light protein ingredient in it, and at the same time it is also very moisturizing as well. Now, to tame the frizz I would use Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream. Or, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Humidity Hair Milk. I think that's what they call it. Also, at times it's always good to use a heavy or thick deep moisturizing conditioner on your hair too. About a couple of weeks ago my hair was looking and feeling gross too. Especially, at the ends. But I've been trying out a couple of different shampoos, conditioners, masks. They've all been helping me to tame my frizzy dry looking hair.

If her hair is feeling dry, protein isn't the first thing I'd reach for. I'd try other routes first.

Dark40
April 26th, 2019, 07:42 PM
If her hair is feeling dry, protein isn't the first thing I'd reach for. I'd try other routes first.

Oops, oh yeah....that's right. She may want to go for more moisturizing products then.

toastertroodle
April 26th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Have you clarified your hair lately? Do you use any leave-ins? Have you tried ROO?

I don’t think the Herbal Essence shampoo I’ve been using is a clarifying shampoo so no, I’ve not clarified. Sometimes I will use a leave in from the assortment of random Ipsy samples I’ve gotten but it’s not a regular thing. And no I’ve not tried ROO! These are great suggestions, thank you! I’ve always had a pretty simple hair routine and never really needed much care aside from just shampoo and conditioner so this is all new for me.

Ylva
April 26th, 2019, 07:56 PM
I don’t think the Herbal Essence shampoo I’ve been using is a clarifying shampoo so no, I’ve not clarified. Sometimes I will use a leave in from the assortment of random Ipsy samples I’ve gotten but it’s not a regular thing. And no I’ve not tried ROO! These are great suggestions, thank you! I’ve always had a pretty simple hair routine and never really needed much care aside from just shampoo and conditioner so this is all new for me.

Oh, and do you know what your water is like? Is it hard by any chance?

Begemot
April 27th, 2019, 01:15 AM
Clarifying before a deep treatment could help. Try doing a deep treatment mask regularly, once a week maybe. I would add oil after your hair starts to feel less dry. ROO or sealing a spray and/or cream leave-in with oil (I'd suggest avoiding coconut oil for now).

milosmomma
April 27th, 2019, 03:49 AM
Clarifying before a deep treatment could help. Try doing a deep treatment mask regularly, once a week maybe. I would add oil after your hair starts to feel less dry. ROO or sealing a spray and/or cream leave-in with oil (I'd suggest avoiding coconut oil for now).

This. I'm pretty sure clarifying is a sulfate shampoo which I think HH has, at least that's what I've been using and counting as clarifying? But I also have been using roo with a deep conditioner every wash and my hair is the most moisturized I can ever remember it feeling in my life.

lapushka
April 27th, 2019, 06:52 AM
When is the last time you clarified with a "regular" sulfate shampoo? Often that can make the biggest difference. The Toadstool shampoos are sulfate-free hence not "really" clarifying. Maybe a double cleanse is even better. Just strip it all out and start afresh.

Suave daily clarifying is a good one or the Neutrogena clear one.

ETA/ oh, and *how* do you wash your hair? Do you distribute the shampoo enough? Use enough? A dime-size is far too little to use, you need to coat your hair with shampoo, or else dilute it with water to reach every inch of your scalp. The suds can run down, but if you wash upright, don't forget the underneath (back) of your head, and if you wash bent over, don't forget the top of your head.

Haven
April 27th, 2019, 11:15 AM
oh, and *how* do you wash your hair? Do you distribute the shampoo enough? Use enough? A dime-size is far too little to use, you need to coat your hair with shampoo, or else dilute it with water to reach every inch of your scalp. The suds can run down, but if you wash upright, don't forget the underneath (back) of your head, and if you wash bent over, don't forget the top of your head.

I've used very small amounts of shampoo and "forgot" the underneath of my head for a long time, and it feels better than if I thoroughly wash, especially the neglected parts that never see shampoo (very soft and light)... so I think this is a very YMMV thing.

A thorough shampoo would be a good thing to try, though, if you don't usually do that.

Lady Stardust
April 27th, 2019, 11:22 AM
A chelating shampoo might help if there’s a possibility of mineral build up - something like a swimmers shampoo.

Are some of your products sulphate free? It could be that there are silicones in your other products and they’re not getting removed by a sulphate free shampoo.

MusicalSpoons
April 27th, 2019, 11:30 AM
To properly clarify I'd recommend actually sudsing up along the lengths of your hair (I haven't personally done this, granted, but my hair hasn't ever felt truly yucky, only a bit tangly), even letting it sit for a few moments to really get to work on any gunk. Usually a sulphate shampoo will do, but do make sure it doesn't have silicones or polyquats or any real film-forming ingredients. Herbal Essences are usually good but just double-check the ingredients to make sure. Then follow up any clarifying with a moisturising treatment that you already know your hair likes, it could even simply be your favourite conditioner left on for a while.

The conditioners you mention, at least 2 of them contain silicones which can build up; depending on how your hair does with them it could be that just letting the sulphate-y shampoo suds run down your lengths *may* not be enough - or it might be generally enough, and you just need an occasional thorough clarifying at the point just when your hair starts to feel a bit 'iffy'.

If you intend to go with the Toadstool products, then I'd advise clarifying, doing a silicone-free moisturising treatment (could be an SMT, could be a mask, could just be leaving the conditioner on for ages) and go from there :)

Also yes, with everything YMMV, but the problems you mention sound typical signs hair needs clarifying, hence that being the first line of troubleshooting.

lapushka
April 27th, 2019, 11:35 AM
To properly clarify I'd recommend actually sudsing up along the lengths of your hair (I haven't personally done this, granted, but my hair hasn't ever felt truly yucky, only a bit tangly), even letting it sit for a few moments to really get to work on any gunk. Usually a sulphate shampoo will do, but do make sure it doesn't have silicones or polyquats or any real film-forming ingredients. Herbal Essences are usually good but just double-check the ingredients to make sure. Then follow up any clarifying with a moisturising treatment that you already know your hair likes, it could even simply be your favourite conditioner left on for a while.

The conditioners you mention, at least 2 of them contain silicones which can build up; depending on how your hair does with them it could be that just letting the sulphate-y shampoo suds run down your lengths *may* not be enough - or it might be generally enough, and you just need an occasional thorough clarifying at the point just when your hair starts to feel a bit 'iffy'.

If you intend to go with the Toadstool products, then I'd advise clarifying, doing a silicone-free moisturising treatment (could be an SMT, could be a mask, could just be leaving the conditioner on for ages) and go from there :)

Also yes, with everything YMMV, but the problems you mention sound typical signs hair needs clarifying, hence that being the first line of troubleshooting.

I do do this weekly, and weekly wash but I feel I need to because of the styling products.

YMMV of course, but clarifying is among the first things people actually recommend here when things go awry. ;)

milosmomma
April 27th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I think that giving your hair the moisture back after using the sulfate shampoo is just as important as the cleansing part. It will most likely have a bit of drying effect, but it is also a great opportunity for your hair to drink up moisture once it is naked and striped clean.

toastertroodle
April 29th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Thank you to everyone who suggested clarifying! I double washed with the Suave daily clarifying shampoo and followed with letting some Vo5 conditioner sit for a long time- my hair actually feels like hair again! It’s softer, fluffier, and even looks lighter in color. Now I just need to figure out how to care for all of my newly curly hairs that are poking through! Thank you everyone!

Begemot
April 29th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Glad to hear your hair is feeling better! :thumbsup:

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 07:57 AM
That is awesome, toastertroodle (such a cute username BTW). I'm glad the "old" clarifying trick worked. :D

toastertroodle
April 29th, 2019, 08:03 AM
That is awesome, toastertroodle (such a cute username BTW). I'm glad the "old" clarifying trick worked. :D

Thank you! I used to have a dog named Trudy and toaster “Troodle” was one of my nicknames for her haha :D

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Thank you! I used to have a dog named Trudy and toaster “Troodle” was one of my nicknames for her haha :D

That's so neat!!! :D