PDA

View Full Version : People Who Are Secretive About What They Do To Their Hair?

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Have you ever encountered someone who was secretive about how they kept their hair in good condition and refused to specify what products or methods they used? Did you find it odd or were you understanding of some people being protective over what they regard as their best secrets? Are you generous with hair info when people ask or do you prefer to remain mum? Just curious about your thoughts and if you have ever experienced this. I typically will just answer the question, but I notice some of the women in my family will do the opposite and take pride in having the longest hair in the room.

AmaryllisRed
April 25th, 2019, 08:11 PM
I definitely enjoy having the longest hair in the room.
But I have no super secret hair growth formula. Just genes and patience. I would think it was weird if someone was all secretive about their hair. I can understand just not wanting to talk about hair, though. Most people don't seem to like hair talk as much as the LHC. :)

SurprisingWoman
April 25th, 2019, 08:23 PM
I am the person that if you compliment something I will tell you where I bought it and how much I paid. I will give any recipe you ask for (if there is an actual recipe and not just me making kitchen magic happen) and I will reveal all my best stuff.

Hair is genetics and luck to a large degree. Anyone that acts otherwise is smart to keep their secrets to themselves because there is no magic.

milosmomma
April 25th, 2019, 09:37 PM
I think the secretive-ness may come from them maybe getting judgement about "ew its gross you only wash once a week!" or "How can you NOT use shampoo!?" type of comments. Just my first thought. I am definitely not one of those secretive people and love talking about hair and routines or products whenever I can. And I also don't mind grossing people out so I don't feel any embarrassment that other people may feel if someone racts to something in that way.

maborosi
April 25th, 2019, 09:56 PM
I think the secretive-ness may come from them maybe getting judgement about "ew its gross you only wash once a week!" or "How can you NOT use shampoo!?" type of comments. Just my first thought. I am definitely not one of those secretive people and love talking about hair and routines or products whenever I can. And I also don't mind grossing people out so I don't feel any embarrassment that other people may feel if someone racts to something in that way.

This is so true! I generally don't tell people unless they're open-minded about it what my routine is because it's a bit 'weird' to some.

pinkypoo
April 25th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Generally if someone asks I'll tell them to look up the curly girl method and a basic answer about not using heat and shampoo all the time. I don't really go into depth because most of the time someone asks as a compliment and not to hear an essay on what I do :laugh:

YvetteVarie
April 26th, 2019, 04:58 AM
I am not secretive, but I know that if the answer does not mention a miracle product, most people's eyes will glaze over while explaining my routine. So I give them a basic and short answer

embee
April 26th, 2019, 05:39 AM
I try not to talk about my hair or hair care to people unless I *know* they are interested and will not judge. It's not worth the hassle. Too many people in my life have told me what I "should do" - and I'm tired of it. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2019, 05:53 AM
I try not to talk about my hair or hair care to people unless I *know* they are interested and will not judge. It's not worth the hassle. Too many people in my life have told me what I "should do" - and I'm tired of it. ;)

This^^. About the most I will tell someone if they ask how I get it so long is "I don't cut it." Unless they are really interested, then I'll give them the LHC version :p

Ligeia Noire
April 26th, 2019, 06:56 AM
This is so true! I generally don't tell people unless they're open-minded about it what my routine is because it's a bit 'weird' to some.

This! I completely concur.

LadyCelestina
April 26th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you answer - oh it's genetics, I just (insert something super simple), you get accused of being secretive about your routine.

If you answer - oh, I do x and y and z to maintain my hair, you get told that they couldn't devote so much time to caring for their hair, implying that you're vain or have nothing else to do except care for your hair.

If you answer - oh, I do this outside-of-norm haircare method, people view you as a freak.

Normally I just say something along the lines of "oh, my hair is just naturally like that", because it's not worth explaining the whole curly haircare shebang to outsiders, for all of the reasons mentioned above.

MusicalSpoons
April 26th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Have you ever encountered someone who was secretive about how they kept their hair in good condition and refused to specify what products or methods they used? Did you find it odd or were you understanding of some people being protective over what they regard as their best secrets? Are you generous with hair info when people ask or do you prefer to remain mum? Just curious about your thoughts and if you have ever experienced this. I typically will just answer the question, but I notice some of the women in my family will do the opposite and take pride in having the longest hair in the room.

Nope, never encountered anyone like that, though I've only known one person with truly long hair before finding LHC and after that any other longhairs I could see it was because they kept their hair up and didn't chop it off :shrug:

Myself, I'm happy to share but I know most people aren't as interested as I am so I keep it simple and share the one thing that made all the difference: keep my hair up in a way that protects the ends (elastics, be gone! They destroyed my ends :nono:) and then there's no need to cut it. Simple :) If they press for more info, I'll happily share, but that's only happened once and it was someone who isn't going to stop dyeing her hair or wearing it down so it's not come up again since.

Most people don't know how long my hair actually is, so while I do enjoy having the longest hair in the room there's no judgement attached to it. My hair is a hobby and the length is a result of patience and learning how to take care of it, plus genetics that allow me to still be growing - certainly not a result of any inherent virtue so there's no reason to feel smug or haughty about it. Other people could most likely do the same if they wanted to (depending on where their potential terminal length would be, of course).

littlestarface
April 26th, 2019, 09:45 AM
If someone asks me which is NEVER btw lol they only ask me what shampoo and conditioner I use and I tell them the brand and name. I never ask anyone (unless on this forum and I only asked 2 people here)cuz I know its always genetics and no matter how much I try to copy or beg i'll always be stuck with my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2019, 10:14 AM
If someone asks me which is NEVER btw lol they only ask me what shampoo and conditioner I use and I tell them the brand and name. I never ask anyone (unless on this forum and I only asked 2 people here)cuz I know its always genetics and no matter how much I try to copy or beg i'll always be stuck with my hair.

A great many of us here would love to be "stuck with your hair" including myself.:)

TreesOfEternity
April 26th, 2019, 10:14 AM
I haven’t but again I haven’t really talked to long hairs in real life.

If someone asks me I happily share, my hair is quite mediocre anyways and it doesn’t really happen lol

EdG
April 26th, 2019, 10:22 AM
People are likely thinking that we must be members of some secret Internet society of longhairs. :rollin:
Ed

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Oh thank you so much for reconstituting the text, mods!
I am happy to answer!!!

No, I haven't actually met anyone secretive about their hair care.

And me? I just blurt out whatever I use and how I use it. LOL. No secrets there. I may need to "simplify" it by saying I condition with this or that product instead of saying I double condition or use WCC as a method. I don't go into that much detail, I don't think. People will get that, "is she still talking" look. LOOOL!

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 12:17 PM
I haven't met anyone like that. If I would, I think I'd respect their right to keep their hair secrets. I wouldn't push it if they seemed unwilling to discuss hair care. I love talking about hair so I'll share my routine if someone asks. No one asks though... my hair isn't especially long or pretty at the moment, so no wonder :D But just in general I guess I don't feel much need to compete about who has the longest and prettiest hair. That would make me miserable.

Dendra
April 26th, 2019, 02:17 PM
I'm quite embarrassed of how into hair I am so if anyone mentions my hair I kind of just clam up and say 'oh yeah it is long', as that's usually what people comment on.

Maybe others are shy too, if it's something quite personal to them.

Alila
April 26th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I usually go for a short answer too. I generaly assume that people don't want to listen to me talk about hair for the next 20 minutes XD

If someone asks a more specific question or tells me about a problem they have been having with their own hair I'll go into details on that subject.

sugar&nutmeg
April 26th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I don't know anyone in real life with what I consider long hair.

Since my hair is almost always up, and long hair is not a goal around here, I don't get asked. I'd be glad to share my benign neglect + shampoo bar routine, but it just wouldn't be relatable.

One time semi-recently, my hair was down briefly (I was running late), a few people noted it was getting really long (just above waist; see?). I mentioned that my last haircut was June 2017. Someone with shortish fried hair asked 'Don't you get split ends??' I just said, 'not really' and quickly put my hair up. No point in elaborating. I won't wear my hair down again in that community-service circumstance. I don't want any attention for it. Buns get enough attention.

Agava
April 30th, 2019, 08:07 AM
I am secretive about NOT visiting hairdresser. LOL

Joules
April 30th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I've never talked to a longhair about hair in real life :lol: I have been "that girl with nice hair" a couple of times though, and just like someone already said, giving out all your hair care tips is pointless. People either don't want to bother (just this past week my cousin asked me about oil treatments and then said that she wouldn't even try because olive oil costs more than 2 dollars and she never spends more than 2 dollars on hair care. She isn't poor, she just doesn't want to.),

Or they still think it's genetic and I'm just mocking them (I used to have a friend who would go from black to blonde to red and back to blonde in a matter of a couple of months. She always complained that her thin short hair is genetic because she never had long hair even as a child. Yup. Of course it is. She got mad at me for giving her my tips.)

So yeah. If someone specifically asks me what I do, I'd share, but only if I see that they genuinely want to know. There's nothing to hide really, but still I don't wanna waste my breath.

nycelle
April 30th, 2019, 10:43 AM
It could be because they're uncomfortable about sharing a routine that may include just one wash a week, or being judged on water only washing etc.
But I've also met people who are just secretive about everything. It's as if sharing some basic info. is gonna get them killed. It's crazy.