PDA

View Full Version : Fear of headaches again...

Wusel
April 25th, 2019, 05:13 AM
One of the reasons I cut my hair short years ago were the constant headaches. Buns and braids, as soon as they get too long/heavy give me massive headaches... This time I'll have to figure out how to solve that problem. It always starts around the length of between mid back and waist. It was always like that. And my hair grows so fast that it can happen that I'm there in a year... That's why I enjoy my short hair so much. My head feels light and free... but I want the long hair for Oktoberfest and I generally I miss the long braid a lot sometimes.

lapushka
April 25th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Why not just get a wig for October fest?

-Fern
April 25th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Do sectioned buns help? My hair is super thick and I find I have to either do a bunned French braid or a bun that distributes weight really effectively to avoid pulling. Forks also feel a lot more comfortable than sticks to me.

Wusel
April 25th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Why not just get a wig for October fest?

It's a joke, right...?

Wusel
April 25th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Do sectioned buns help? My hair is super thick and I find I have to either do a bunned French braid or a bun that distributes weight really effectively to avoid pulling. Forks also feel a lot more comfortable than sticks to me.

Yes, I will hve to try that. last time I didn't for some reason... dunno why... that's a good idea actually. :)

lapushka
April 25th, 2019, 08:34 AM
It's a joke, right...?

Errr, no. Why would it be a joke? It's easy, you can get colors, and any style you like.

LittleHealthy
April 25th, 2019, 10:46 AM
If you do just want your hair to be long for one day, but don’t mind what it is doing before/after, then a wig doesn’t sound like a bad suggestion at all! :)
My thoughts were perhaps you could get your hair layered once it grows too heavy. That way you get to enjoy length without so much weight on your scalp!

TatsuOni
April 25th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Does milkmaid braids work? They distribute the weight over a bigger area.

Wusel
April 26th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Does milkmaid braids work? They distribute the weight over a bigger area.

Yes, that's my idea for Oktoberfest. Looks great with the Dress.

Wusel
April 26th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Errr, no. Why would it be a joke? It's easy, you can get colors, and any style you like.

I want long hair, not a wig. And I'm with Hans there who wouldn't appreciate me wearing a wig. Men hate that. Me too. It's warm, uncomfortable and looks ridiculous. Wig is not an option. When you had cancer like my aunt and had no hair after chemo, it's an option. But anything else is just stupid to me. And I don't need it. My hair is long enough for an updo already. But I want it longer to get a better updo. The longer the better. Bavarian style is a lot of braiding and the longer the hair the more can be braided. Bra strap length is a good length to do certain braiding styles, so, I want bra strap till October. Minimum. I have a quarter inch of growth since Sunday btw. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 26th, 2019, 04:37 AM
I want long hair, not a wig. And I'm with Hans there who wouldn't appreciate me wearing a wig. Men hate that. Me too. It's warm, uncomfortable and looks ridiculous. Wig is not an option. When you had cancer like my aunt and had no hair after chemo, it's an option. But anything else is just stupid to me. And I don't need it. My hair is long enough for an updo already. But I want it longer to get a better updo. The longer the better. Bavarian style is a lot of braiding and the longer the hair the more can be braided. Bra strap length is a good length to do certain braiding styles, so, I want bra strap till October. Minimum. I have a quarter inch of growth since Sunday btw. :)

Sounds like you are doing well, then. Hope you get the length you are after by October!

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Wusel, there are a lot of people who wear wigs and it doesn't have to involve a disease, either. It's not ridiculous, why on earth would you say something like that? And I would do what I liked, not what a man would want me to be or wear. But that's me.

-Fern
April 26th, 2019, 06:38 AM
I want long hair, not a wig. And I'm with Hans there who wouldn't appreciate me wearing a wig. Men hate that. Me too. It's warm, uncomfortable and looks ridiculous. Wig is not an option. When you had cancer like my aunt and had no hair after chemo, it's an option. But anything else is just stupid to me. And I don't need it. My hair is long enough for an updo already. But I want it longer to get a better updo. The longer the better.

I'm sorry that has been your experience with wigs, chemo is incredibly hard for the one going through it, but also tough for that person's support network. :(

However, I think it's also a little unfair, because there are many affordable and beautiful wigs (https://www.samsbeauty.com/service/product/22/58401602/Sensationnel-Synthetic-Hair-Lace-Front-Wig-Cloud-9-What-Lace-Swiss-Lace-13X6-Solana.html) available, and I have a friend that has a variety to wear because she has severe trich and buzzes her natural hair for her own sanity. Most people would never guess it's a wig, because they really just suit her and look great!

I have considered getting one to wear just to try out a different hair color and hair styles (my natural hair is too thick for several styles).

Anyhow... Naturally we respect that your goal here is to grow your hair, but I don't think Lapushka's suggestion warranted such an aggressive response, either.

DaveDecker
April 26th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Wusel, there are a lot of people who wear wigs and it doesn't have to involve a disease, either. It's not ridiculous, why on earth would you say something like that? And I would do what I liked, not what a man would want me to be or wear. But that's me.

Wusel has repeatedly made it clear that she doesn't want to wear a wig, and wants her own hair (by October) to grow to about BSL.

TreesOfEternity
April 26th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Wusel has repeatedly made it clear that she doesn't want to wear a wig, and wants her own hair (by October) to grow to about BSL.

And then she says long hair gives her headaches. And asks about miracles to grow amounts of hair in a short period of time.

People here aren’t getting paid for giving advice, just say thank you and move along if some advice doesn’t fit your plan but being that rude and demanding solutions... I don’t care about what she has stated before that’s not nice no matter what.

My two cents are just you won’t know until you try. If headeaches start, trim a little and find your sweet spot. Some updos help with scalp ache as well.

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 09:09 AM

How... repeatedly? She just stated it once, I think.

ArabellaRose
April 26th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Lapushka just made a suggestion that some people would find suitable, had Wusel put that she didn't want to wear a wig in the original post then I can understand the response a little more, but still there's no need to be rude to anyone who is just trying to be helpful, I dunno if it's a language barrier thing though so who knows.

Wusel, is your hair really thick? I think the idea of layering as previously suggested might be beneficial in that case.

littlestarface
April 26th, 2019, 10:06 AM
This thread has so much bickering I don't even know what the actual question of the OP is to help?

Wusel you want ideas on how to put it up or how to have long hair without headaches? If its the latter than you can get layers or braids like double braids,french braids, that will take the weight off.

Oh and who the heck is hans? Hans christian anderson?

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Guys don't worry about me, commenting on the delivery of the message is only going to get you into trouble. ;) I got my big girl panties on, I can take it. :p

Other than that, yes keeping it short(er) or layering if there's no other option.

Other question, if you know you are going to get headaches and problems with long hair, then why grow it again? I know there's October Fest, but is it truly worth it if you get headache after headache? :hmm:

Aerya
April 26th, 2019, 11:15 AM
If the problems start at MBL/waist, keep it just shorter? It's not like your options are either hip or a pixie. You say yourself BSL is a good length for braid styles, why not keep it around that length?

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Agreed :thumbsup:

She has stated her preferences and doesn't need to justify any of it; she is only asking for help re: discomfort at longer lengths and style options for an event.

Wigs are personal choices and it is NOT hers; I couldn't stand one either, yet my MIL lived in them even with a whole head of hair.
YMMV...there is no right or wrong and some may have great sensitivity to an association of cancer with them.

Wusel I'd take it a day at a time... your hair seems to grow fast so anything is possible/....ultimately what will be, will be :shrug:.

Personally, I just let mine grow and if it starts getting heavy/uncomfortable I snip an inch at a time....even that can make a difference.

Braids sound like a great option if buns won't be comfy, and they can be done at any length; I am sure you will look amazing :cheer:

Deborah
April 26th, 2019, 04:03 PM
If the problems start at MBL/waist, keep it just shorter? It's not like your options are either hip or a pixie. You say yourself BSL is a good length for braid styles, why not keep it around that length?

I agree with this. As long as you keep it trimmed to a length that does not cause you any pain, you can still wear it long.

Also, if your hair it thick, perhaps layers will allow you to wear it a bit longer yet, and still be physically comfortable. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

LittleHealthy
April 26th, 2019, 04:11 PM
My comment got skipped over, but I did suggest layers! It could be enough to keep your scalp happy just to have some layers through the ends! All the best :)

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 04:36 PM
My comment got skipped over, but I did suggest layers! It could be enough to keep your scalp happy just to have some layers through the ends! All the best :)

I have heavily layered hair. It got "heavy" feeling to me at waist. If not layered I think this would be the max. growth I could get to still be manageable. With layers I can get to classic/FTL, but once over FTL it's no longer doable for me. I have migraines, but they have nothing to do with my hair, or its weight. I just can get along with layers much more easily than without. Between waist & classic is a big gap, so you might be able to grow longer lengths with it layered, Wusel. I think that is a very good suggestion.

Ligeia Noire
April 26th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Most of my scalp aches come from how my hair was up... the way i inserted the stick or fork or if my braid flips over my head at night not by the weight of the hair itself and I concur with what Dave said... that the wig was kind of an akward suggestion since it is clear from this thread and the other one that the OP is interested in growing long hair and ways of avoiding aches not alternatives to the very thing she wants. However, no need to take it so personally. It was a harmless suggestion but out of place.

pailin
April 26th, 2019, 10:39 PM
My hair is neither a long nor a thick as Ligeianoire but I agree with her about how your hair is up. For me position and balance of a bun make a huge difference, and how the toy is inserted is very important. I really can't take anything touching my scalp, especially metal.
Otherwise, I agree about starting by growing to the length you know is still comfortable, then when you're creeping past that length, go ahead and trim back a little as necessary when it starts to hurt. And keep experimenting. Also, unless you're wanting to grow your hair to extreme lengths, there's no harm in wearing your hair down if you enjoy it. There are plenty of people with waist or hip length hair who always wear it down. Do whatever helps you enjoy it. I have a friend who basically grows her hair out to about waist, then chops up to shoulder. Then grows to waist again. You might even enjoy doing that just for the variety.

embee
April 27th, 2019, 04:57 AM
In my experience, what I called "hair aches" or "scalp aches" seemed to depend on how the hair follicles were bent or pulled in different directions. For me, the solution was to *frequently* make buns or braids that lay on different parts of my head: low/nape, medium back of head, high topknots. Also, a lot of brushing helped ease any pain, but not everyone benefits from brushing.

But maybe OP has something else going on, and I'm not understanding. My thought is, not to worry so much, you're gonna be beautiful because you already are. :)

Ophidian
April 27th, 2019, 08:10 PM
For me, the least headache-inducing styles are usually the ones with the most anchor points, like a bun held with several Amish pins.

ETA: I also find that is it really only comfortable to wear buns at ear level or lower. If I try a new placement I inevitably get a headache. But based on embee’s comment, it seems like this may be different for different people.

cjk
April 27th, 2019, 10:51 PM
One of the reasons I cut my hair short years ago were the constant headaches. Buns and braids, as soon as they get too long/heavy give me massive headaches... This time I'll have to figure out how to solve that problem. It always starts around the length of between mid back and waist. It was always like that. And my hair grows so fast that it can happen that I'm there in a year... That's why I enjoy my short hair so much. My head feels light and free... but I want the long hair for Oktoberfest and I generally I miss the long braid a lot sometimes.

How short is your hair?

You mentioned Oktoberfest. Dutch braids and milkmaid braids are classics.

I know you don't want a wig but are you open to braid in extensions? Kanekelon is a great option and ridiculously cheap.

EdG
April 27th, 2019, 11:14 PM
Wusel - I think the solution is to wear your hair loose.

BSL is not long enough to cause much problems when worn loose. I am at BSL right now and I wear my hair loose. I have worn my hair loose even when it was much longer (although in hindsight, that was not a good idea).
Ed

Wusel
April 28th, 2019, 12:56 AM
Thank you very much for the answers, guys :)
I really didn't want to be rude but we are in a long hair forum here, not in a wig forum, so... yes, I really want long hair but fear pain and headaches, so, I'm thankful for ideas what to do about it. Last time it was so long I had the problem with buns and my braid being too heavy. I have very sensitive skin (light urticaria, I can't go out without SPF 100, otherwise I get heavy sunburn after 10 seconds) and it's the same with my scalp. There is no pain when I wear it loose, yes, but then there is the danger of damaging it, because I have little students at work who would pull at it every time, I'm sure. Sometimes I feel like whatever I do with my hair, any kind of moving it or putting in another place than hanging down loose naturally gives me pain. Even now, I'm an inch or so from APL, when I put it in a peacock twist, my scalp hurts after 2 hours and it hurts even more when I take it down. This burning, stinging pain, you know? And it was always like this. Even when I was a kid. So, I always wanted short hair as a kid but my mom wanted it long. And now I want long hair again because I miss it and it's very thick, I have a lot of it (had a huge shed last year but it grew back) and it's just a pity to cut it when there is a good chance to get a thick, long mane again.

Wusel
April 28th, 2019, 01:31 AM
I was also thinking... maybe there is some special mask, oil... whatever to help a very sensitive scalp to deal with heavier hair better? I mean, you can train and soothe your muscles, so, maybe you can train and soothe your scalp too? My scalp has no problem with any oil, even tea tree oil mixed with onion juice is great. Which oils are most soothing to the scalp? I can run around with oil on my scalp all the time. I don't even need to wash it out. I look okay with greasy roots, the 'wet-look' always suited me.

Begemot
April 28th, 2019, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure about soothing oils but I like to use scalp lotion from the brand Sim System 4. It hydrates dry and sensitive scalp. I also use oil-free hydro gel (Dermosil) on my scalp to moisturize it. Not sure if you can get your hands on these particular products but I'm fairly certain you can find something similar. Check your drug store and online stores :)

Corvana
April 28th, 2019, 02:21 AM
I've always found scalp massage to help with aching, and I recently purchased a shampoo brush and it's heavenly.

TatsuOni
April 28th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Hair scarves or snoods with your hair loose under might also work.

FLC1027
November 19th, 2019, 07:33 AM
I totally agree with you, -Fern.:) There are so many beautiful wigs with various colors and styles especially synthetic lace front wigs.

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I totally agree with you, -Fern.:) There are so many beautiful wigs with various colors and styles especially synthetic lace front wigs.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Congrats on your first post. :) :applause

bparnell75
November 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM
You can always thin the hair out or layer it. I have done this for less weight.

bparnell75
November 19th, 2019, 12:29 PM
You can always thin the hair out or layer it. I have done this for less weight.

SleepyTangles
November 19th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Hello Wusel. I'm also prone to headaches and my roots are quite delicate. So, this time I 've decided that I'm wearing it down as much as possible, who cares if I will need to trim more and grow slower.

As a fellow European, I'm also not used at all to good-quality wigs. To me, wigs are mostly for costumes. But in the last few years I was more exposed to American media and I've learned that there are high-quality wigs that look identical if not better than real hair :flower:
So, I can understand lapushka comment. Quite frankly, if I landed a job in a workplace that doesn't allow bright unnatural dyes IŽd probably purchase a brunette wig or hair piece to cover my natural hair.