PDA

View Full Version : ladies who have grown out bangs... HELP

EMMV1012
April 23rd, 2019, 12:23 PM
I have some serious hair PTSD after a TRAUMATIC haircut that happened in 2016. Fast forward to about a month ago... I was finally loving my hair and the "worst haircut in history" seemed so long behind me. I decided to treat myself and see my usual stylist for a little balayage and trim. BAD IDEA, SO SO BAD. My color turned out terrible (lots of bleach damage and was in no way balayage) but the worst thing was she cut me in unwanted "side swept bangs" which are short, choppy, way too thick, and farther back than they should be. I've seriously cried, whined, and obsessed over my hair for a month and hate is just as much as I did after the first bad cut. Can any of you ladies tell me about how long it took your bangs to grow out? or at least how long it took for you be able to tuck them behind your ear? When gathered forward, mine mostly touch the tip of my nose. Hoping it wont be too terribly long before I can tuck and forget about them! Any personal experiences, advice, or words of encouragement would be most appreciated.

SwanFeathers
April 23rd, 2019, 12:33 PM
Its temporary, and now you can check that off your style bucket list. I've grown mine out twice and it took 3-4 months to tuck securely for me. (Then of course I realized I love bangs on me and cut them back in) the fringe may be the really annoying part, but the damage is the bigger problem. Basically some babying and primo self-care until it grows out.
Sorry you had that experience more than once.

AmaryllisRed
April 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM
I think you'll be able to tuck them sooner than you think. But in the meantime, can you pin them back with bobby pins? Maybe get some cute ones to help you feel better about it.

Wendyclaire
April 23rd, 2019, 01:31 PM
Sorry you’re going through this. My hair was layered all over at about shoulder length. It took about four years to grow them all out to one length and a couple more to get to almost waist. Its so distressing when our hair isn’t what we want but we’ve all done it! A mad moment of wanting a change! Boy have I had my share of those!

GrowinIt
April 23rd, 2019, 01:33 PM
Until you can do the tuck, I'd go with bobby pinning the middle part of the bangs back to one side, and then let the rest of it just flow around as it wants to. I had a haircut at the end of December that I had asked for long layers (I didn't ask for anything in the front) but right at the end, she went snip and cut a little bit of a long side bang, aghh (longer than yours, down to chin not nose). It happened so fast I didn't have time to stop her if you know what I mean. I ended up finding a different stylist that I prefer after that. Anyways, fast forward to now, I know that short bit is still there, but unless I pull it forward and look at it, I don't really notice it.

Also, if it is choppy now, it should get less choppy over time as your hair grows out, because individual hairs all grow at different rates, so it won't just grow straight out, it should grow sort of randomly and soften it up.

I also have a ton of naturally short "baby hair" that reaches my nose, and it's basically part of the hair that I regularly bobby pin back. Sometimes I don't need the bobby pin, just depends on how my hair is that day (dryer/frizzy day needs it more). You just need to find a way to position it so you like the way it looks.

Even when I didn't have any layers and was all one length, I pretty regularly would tuck my hair behind my ears and use "hidden" bobby pins to hold it in place, so it wasn't getting in my face, I feel like bobby pins are generally a good hair tool =) to help control it.

sumidha
April 23rd, 2019, 01:47 PM
Two words, bobby pins.

BerrySara
April 23rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
After one too many times getting traumatized by stylist I have sworn them off entirely and now I just trim my own hair. Worth learning even with the trial and error that comes with it, at least you can control how much comes off.

I agree with the bobby pin solution until you can tug it away. You can also braid your bangs (https://www.google.com/search?q=braid+bangs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAs8WYhefhAhVJMqwKHTCjCrIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1453&bih=899).

ladyfey
April 23rd, 2019, 04:25 PM
I'm growing out from a buzz cut, and I very much agree with everyone who recommended bobby pins. They make all the difference.

zmirina
April 23rd, 2019, 04:48 PM
bobby pins and braiding. and hats :o

bparnell75
April 23rd, 2019, 05:36 PM
Use those bobby pins to make a front "pouf" by gathering all the bangs to the top of your head and twist the ends. Then push forward a little to pouf them and bobby pin them in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mY5djsXlk

amiraaah
April 24th, 2019, 01:07 AM
I had side fringe and it took me 5 months to be able to tuck my hair behind my ears and 8 months to reach chin length.

lapushka
April 24th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Headbands can be a cute style! Especially the broader/thicker headbands.

Hair grows 1/2 of an inch a month, so you are on your way out of the bad cut. Slowly does it. And chalk it up to experience. Lesson learned. At least you won't do that again (trust a stylist implicitly). We've most of us learned our lesson with that.

In about half a year it's all going to look very different for you! Just give it time!

I know it's difficult (BTDT over and over), but you'll get there! :flower:

floralgem
April 24th, 2019, 11:17 AM
I always feel like I'm still growing out my bangs, even though I got them cut over 8 years ago. There's always some new hair growing out :(

Dung Beetle
April 24th, 2019, 11:51 AM
My bangs are just beyond my chin now, and it kind of feels like it's taken forever to get here but it probably hasn't. The hell of it is, when the things have all grown out, I'll probably cut them back in. It's the CIRCLE OF LIFE!

One thing I didn't see mentioned that may help, is play with how you part your hair. You may be able to get a different look that you like better, and of course as they grow you'll get some other options.

LoveHeart33
April 24th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I'm so sorry! I can definitely relate to the feeling of despair after the aftermath of certain hair cutting experiences at salons! A friend of mine was growing out bangs and she pinned them back everyday with bobby pins and they grew really fast. Maybe try pinning them going to the left one day and then to the right the next? I always felt like changing the position of how the hair sits stimulates growth. Also maybe try massaging that area specifically to stimulate growth... hope this helps!

val.
April 24th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Use those bobby pins to make a front "pouf" by gathering all the bangs to the top of your head and twist the ends. Then push forward a little to pouf them and bobby pin them in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mY5djsXlk

I second the poof. Grabs some pins and clips and just start experimenting.

Knittink
April 24th, 2019, 08:00 PM
I have bangs but I don’t cut them as often as I should. When they get a bit on the long side I do a kind of two strand lace braid that starts at a side part and clip it back with a hair color snap clip. It keeps even the shortest pieces under control. I do it pretty loose so it doesn't pull on my hairline. (My hair doesn't show the texture very well and pardon my shiny head.)

https://i.imgur.com/oTOYsu5.jpg

mackensey
April 24th, 2019, 11:49 PM
my bangs always grow out very fast! like after 1 month they'll be super easy to style! i find doing twists and braids really helps keep them out of your face, as long as you do thinner strands so that they stay tucked in. I also like doing a braid flat against my head and then wearing a cloth hairband ontop of it!

Joules
April 25th, 2019, 10:55 AM
I trimmed my bangs for the last time on October 5th 2015. I trimmed them way too short, unfortunately, so short that they reached wearable length only in December. Hiding bangs that were way too short was a whole different horrorstory. In May 2016 I was finally able to incorporate them into a high ponytail or a bun, by August I was able to tuck them behind my ears. Judging by the fact that your bangs already touch your nose, I'd say you're just a couple of months away from tucking them behind your ears :)

My advice here would be to learn how to French braid. Honestly, French braids are sooo underrated, with enough skill you can hide literally any hair disaster beside a buzzcut into one or two French braids and no one will ever know something's not quite right. Bobby pins and hair bands are useful too, but a good French braid is priceless.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 01:02 PM
I have bangs but I don’t cut them as often as I should. When they get a bit on the long side I do a kind of two strand lace braid that starts at a side part and clip it back with a hair color snap clip. It keeps even the shortest pieces under control. I do it pretty loose so it doesn't pull on my hairline. (My hair doesn't show the texture very well and pardon my shiny head.)

https://i.imgur.com/oTOYsu5.jpg

That looks really good. I need to try it =).

spidermom
April 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM
I liked doing a lace braid from about ear level on one side, across the top of my head, and down to ear level on the other side. With a bit of gel, there wouldn't be too many sticky-out bits. Even though my bangs have completely grown out, I still sometimes style my hair that way.

EMMV1012
April 26th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Thank you all SO SO much for the kind words and tips. Everyone's comments have truly made me feel quite a bit better about the whole experience.

quinnhues12345
April 15th, 2020, 10:38 AM
You can use headbands or bobby pins to keep them back while they are still growing

Bellalla
April 15th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Bangs to your nose will grow out very, very quickly. Try to ignore them for a bit, and from here on out have a strict list of "never ever do this" items for your stylist, lol

Dung Beetle
April 15th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Interesting. I see I last posted in this thread about a year ago, saying my bangs were at my chin. They're now about six inches past that, so that seems legit... the thing is, I still feel like I'm growing out my bangs because they aren't as long as the rest of it!

And also, I saw some pictures of myself recently from when I had bangs. They were cute! Maybe I should...NAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

kinnyuu
April 15th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I'm in the process of growing out bangs (again).
I first got them cut 2017 to above eyebrown and it took 1 year to get past my chin.
Forgot how much it sucked and then cut baby bangs early 2019 and kept some sort of bangs until Nov 2019.
Since then it's been about 5 months of growing them out and they're about nose length now.
Big advice is to visit a salon when you can and slowly get them blended in every 4 months, they will remove weight and help it blend better. I got face framing layers and it all flows seamlessly now.

In short: about a year of growth and a few haircuts to blend things into a more seamless style.

Sora Rose
April 15th, 2020, 03:02 PM
I had bangs all my life and randomly decided to grow them out. If it's any comfort, it didn't take that long to grow them far enough to tuck behind my ears, although they rarely stayed there for long. I think it was about a year or so before they'd stay in my buns with the rest of my hair (more or less, they'd pop free a lot). I never used bobby pins or hats or headbands though. I just left them loose until they'd grown long enough to stay up - but that's only because I don't mind hair in my face.

I think it's about three years since I started growing them, and they're about BSL now, with the rest of my hair at TB. They stay in buns and braids and rarely poke out.

Lucy McLucyFace
April 15th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Interesting to see an old thread like this. I've always had bangs but I grew them out when I was 11 or so and cut them back in at 14.
Back then headbands were trendy (they're coming back this year) so I owned several of them and used them to keep my bangs back. The only issue is that I also wear glasses so with the thicker headbands I'd have a serious pain behind my ears by the end of the day.
I recommend fabric bands/bandanas/wraps/scarves rather than plastic headbands to avoid this. But on the bright side with headbands you don't despair because you never even see your bangs

Decemberrose
April 23rd, 2020, 06:58 AM
When I’m growing out very short bettie bangs (about every 2 years!!) I keep my hair in a high bun for 3 months. Pretending they don’t exist. Using hairspray to keep them in place. It takes me about a year to go from above eyebrow to chin. Good luck to everyone growing out bangs!

Afanen
April 23rd, 2020, 11:50 AM
Hey it doesn't take too long to get them to a blendable length! I had V shaped goth baby bangs for over a year and decided to grow them out, a little over a year later they're at shoulder length.

Stardreamer
April 24th, 2020, 02:44 AM
Hey, when I had bangs (side bangs if I remember correctly) I would braid them and clip them back. I can't remember how long it took me, but eventually I got there. My "bangs" had a few lighter, almost blonde highlights and my hair's brown so I like the look of that. I'd have a little braid on the top of my head and I liked it. I enjoyed that so growing out my bangs didn't bother me, although my bangs were longer than yours probs. Good luck

plonter
April 24th, 2020, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry you had a horrible experience :( bangs do grow out, trust me. I cut myself some gawd awful bangs (pulled in way too much hair and forgot that they turn greasy and wavy mere hours after washing/styling them) about a year into growing out my pixie. They were so bad I threw out my hair scissors to avoid temptation (and then foolishly had to re-purchase a couple years later). I did a lot of pushing them back with headbands and twisting+pinning them out of the way. I got some cute clips in addition to bobby pins; it's possible to have fun with bangs. When they grow out a bit, getting the ends thinned a bit helps them blend with the rest of your hair even while they're short. I would probably guess that within 6 months they'll be more manageable.