PDA

View Full Version : Strait hair starting to grow in curly?

toastertroodle
April 22nd, 2019, 07:03 PM
My hair is and always has been pretty darn straight. I had massive postpartum shedding after my now 18 month old was born for about 6 months so I now have a ton of shorter new growth. I’ve recently started using natural shampoo/conditioner (Toadstool soaps to be exact!) and after a close look in the mirror today I noticed that a ton of my new hairs are growing in pretty curly and much more coarse than my fine hair has ever been! Has anyone experienced straight hair suddenly becoming curly? I am 25 years old so it was kind of a shock for me to see.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2019, 04:43 AM
After a big hormonal shift, puberty, pregnancy, menopause, these things can happen, yes. Maybe if your hair is long enough, and nicely grown in you can hairtype again.

Lovely braid in your avatar. :)

Lady Stardust
April 23rd, 2019, 06:39 AM
Yes mine has got much wavier since I had a baby, and I have more silver and white hair too! Hormones are wacky :)

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 06:51 AM
After a big hormonal shift, puberty, pregnancy, menopause, these things can happen, yes. Maybe if your hair is long enough, and nicely grown in you can hairtype again.

Lovely braid in your avatar. :)

Thank you! :)

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 06:54 AM
Yes mine has got much wavier since I had a baby, and I have more silver and white hair too! Hormones are wacky :)

Hormones are SO wacky! My hair definitely changed color during my pregnancies. My daughter made my hair considerably darker then my son lightened it up some again. It’s been an adventure witnessing all of the changes lol!

Lady Stardust
April 23rd, 2019, 07:25 AM
Hormones are SO wacky! My hair definitely changed color during my pregnancies. My daughter made my hair considerably darker then my son lightened it up some again. It’s been an adventure witnessing all of the changes lol!

My hair has changed colour but I’m not sure if that’s down to hormones or just losing some of the red pigment :) It’s weird.

school of fish
April 23rd, 2019, 08:22 AM
My underlayer started growing in 2B/C since weaning my 2nd child about 3 years ago - my canopy remains the 1A I had for 40+ years before that. My ends are still pin straight because the new wavy growth hasn't reached the hemline yet.

So yes, it's absolutely possible for a person's texture to change, sometimes quite dramatically - and I'd be eyeing the hormones with suspicion as the culprit ;)

enting
April 23rd, 2019, 08:25 AM
Changes in texture absolutely can happen. I haven't had any sudden changes, but sometimes they can appear sudden. The hair toward my nape has always been less wurly/pretty straight, but a few months ago all of a sudden the hair below/behind my ears dried in perfect ringlets after a shower. I was like, where did you come from?!

If even my gradual changes can appear sudden, I'm positive that actually sudden changes can happen also.

The most common reports I've heard about texture changes are as mentioned above, with hormonal shifts. (I've also heard that post-chemotherapy hair often grows back in curly and/or with a color difference.)

Begemot
April 23rd, 2019, 08:38 AM
I'm jealous :D Enjoy your new beautiful texture!

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 12:05 PM
My underlayer started growing in 2B/C since weaning my 2nd child about 3 years ago - my canopy remains the 1A I had for 40+ years before that. My ends are still pin straight because the new wavy growth hasn't reached the hemline yet.

So yes, it's absolutely possible for a person's texture to change, sometimes quite dramatically - and I'd be eyeing the hormones with suspicion as the culprit ;)

I feel as if the “surprises” we get from pregnancy and childbirth truly never end lol. If my hair continues on this new curly path I’ll be very interested to see how the curly on top-straight on the bottom look will turn out

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 12:07 PM
I'm jealous :D Enjoy your new beautiful texture!

Thank you!! Crossing my fingers that it will continue to curl. Both of my babies have curly hair so maybe I have some dormant curly hair gene that is just now kicking in :-D

cjk
April 23rd, 2019, 01:45 PM
Curly hair requires different care than straight hair. Moisture, moisture, moisture!

Look up the curly girl method.

And by the way, hello! Welcome to the tribe.

hayheadsbird
April 23rd, 2019, 03:12 PM
Yes! Mine has gone from 1A to a firm 2A borderline B. What's really funny is that it started at the back of my head and over the last few years is slowly spreading 😂

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Curly hair requires different care than straight hair. Moisture, moisture, moisture!

Look up the curly girl method.

And by the way, hello! Welcome to the tribe.

Hello, and thank you! :)

toastertroodle
April 23rd, 2019, 03:29 PM
Excuse the overexposure here but here's a pic of one of these new spirals!

https://i.imgur.com/W0zbOcGl.jpg

StellaStellitsa
April 24th, 2019, 12:25 PM
I had straight hair as a child. During puberty my hair became curly. I had searched for it, when it occured to me that I could find information online, that it can indeed happen. As said above puberty, birth, and emenopause can affect hair in different ways, even changing it completely. And by the way, now that I'm in my twenties, my hair seems to change again. My curls have definitely loosened over the course of the last two or three years, and if this continues my hair will become wavy. Thought I still have plenty of 3a, 3b, and 3c individual curly hairs, it is the majority that becomes straighter. It was very difficult for me to start to love my hair as it was, but, as soon I started loving it and found out how to care for it, it seems to have started changing again. I had found online about one woman whose hair was straight in childhood, curly in puberty, wavy in twenties, straight in thirties, and curly in fourties. Your hair now that it becomes curly it will need a little different care from when it was straight. It's curliness may go away with time, but, believe me, it's better to learn how to care about your curl from now, while they are still short in the roots. You will be better prepared this way. If you want a few basic tips I would be glad to help, but bear in mind that I do nothing special to my hair.

lapushka
April 24th, 2019, 01:26 PM
And by the way, now that I'm in my twenties, my hair seems to change again. My curls have definitely loosened over the course of the last two or three years, and if this continues my hair will become wavy. Thought I still have plenty of 3a, 3b, and 3c individual curly hairs, it is the majority that becomes straighter. It was very difficult for me to start to love my hair as it was, but, as soon I started loving it and found out how to care for it, it seems to have started changing again. I had found online about one woman whose hair was straight in childhood, curly in puberty, wavy in twenties, straight in thirties, and curly in fourties. Your hair now that it becomes curly it will need a little different care from when it was straight. It's curliness may go away with time, but, believe me, it's better to learn how to care about your curl from now, while they are still short in the roots. You will be better prepared this way. If you want a few basic tips I would be glad to help, but bear in mind that I do nothing special to my hair.

This may be due to the weight of the hair as well, since you are now waist length, it seems. So it could also be that. :)

toastertroodle
April 24th, 2019, 06:33 PM
I had straight hair as a child. During puberty my hair became curly. I had searched for it, when it occured to me that I could find information online, that it can indeed happen. As said above puberty, birth, and emenopause can affect hair in different ways, even changing it completely. And by the way, now that I'm in my twenties, my hair seems to change again. My curls have definitely loosened over the course of the last two or three years, and if this continues my hair will become wavy. Thought I still have plenty of 3a, 3b, and 3c individual curly hairs, it is the majority that becomes straighter. It was very difficult for me to start to love my hair as it was, but, as soon I started loving it and found out how to care for it, it seems to have started changing again. I had found online about one woman whose hair was straight in childhood, curly in puberty, wavy in twenties, straight in thirties, and curly in fourties. Your hair now that it becomes curly it will need a little different care from when it was straight. It's curliness may go away with time, but, believe me, it's better to learn how to care about your curl from now, while they are still short in the roots. You will be better prepared this way. If you want a few basic tips I would be glad to help, but bear in mind that I do nothing special to my hair.

Any tips would be GREAT! I’ve never been more confused about how best to take care of my hair. It’s like frizzy and yet greasy at the same time :rolleyes:

Longlegs
April 24th, 2019, 06:47 PM
When I started co-washing my wavy hair got curlier. I have heard people who have had chemotherapy have hair that grows back curlier. Having kids did'nt change my hair much, it's interesting how it can change due to various things - maybe I should be looking forward to menopause.

milosmomma
April 24th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Toasterstroodle, I feel like were almost in the same place :lol: I have been regrowing from a post-partum shed from my 17 month old son. I also notice little spirals like that and they're almost always coarser and darker than my normal hair. Most of my regrowth is around 3 inches but varying from tiny sprouts .5 inch and as long as 4-5 inches, but I find these spirals as long as chin/neck length which would be before post-partum but maybe still from pregnancy hormones(really not sure, I've only noticed them within the last year or so). This has me wondering if I am having a change as well. I used the think my hair was 1c/2a but it's been behaving more 2a/2b lately. I had been attributing more waves to me finding a good routine and tons of moisture, but maybe some hormones are at play as well :hmm:

mackensey
April 25th, 2019, 12:08 AM
I've noticed as my hair is passing APL it is beginning to curl on the ends! I really like it but it doesn't make sense because i thought it would only begin to straighten out more the longer it grows.

lapushka
April 25th, 2019, 06:18 AM
When I started co-washing my wavy hair got curlier. I have heard people who have had chemotherapy have hair that grows back curlier. Having kids did'nt change my hair much, it's interesting how it can change due to various things - maybe I should be looking forward to menopause.

Or maybe it will straighten out during menopause, or go the opposite direction, or stay the same. I'm 46, menopause can stay away a while. ;) :p

StellaStellitsa
April 28th, 2019, 12:18 PM
This may be due to the weight of the hair as well, since you are now waist length, it seems. So it could also be that. :)

Well, it could be. But, I'd swear that when my hair was hipbone length it was curlier than it is now, though my roots and I cannot remember exactly how many of the first centimeters of my hair was extremely flat and almost completely straight. Now that my hair is shorter, my roots have more volume than they had before. Or it could be a combination of the two and my hair has both looser curls that are also weighted down by the length of it.

StellaStellitsa
April 28th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Any tips would be GREAT! I’ve never been more confused about how best to take care of my hair. It’s like frizzy and yet greasy at the same time :rolleyes:

It is oily on the roots only or all the length till the ends?