PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle difficulties

Izzyivy
April 22nd, 2019, 10:14 AM
I am a new member after being a long time lurker for a few years. I have just gotten back into taking good care of my hair and it is starting to sink in that my hair is now TBL which was one of my first goals!
However, even at a longer length I am having endless difficulties in doing the simplest of buns with my hair and I am desperate to start wearing it up with pretty sticks and forks. I have been trying to do the nautilus bun for the past few days and sometimes it works and other times it does not, or it's not secure enough. I have watched plenty of tutorials on youtube and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, wether it's the placement of my stick or what. At the moment I have mostly been wearing my hair in braids or down as I can't get it up. I suppose I just wanted to vent and see if anyone else has problems or advice as most people seem to be able to do this beautiful style.

-Fern
April 22nd, 2019, 10:46 AM
Nautilus is challenging for many folks, particularly if you have thick hair. Cinnabuns and Lazy Wrap Buns might be a better place to start. The trick is to also make sure you are weaving the stick or fork through some scalp hair to help secure it better.

Izzyivy
April 22nd, 2019, 11:22 AM
I think it may be difficult as my hair is very thick. I will watch some tutorials on those two hair styles you mentioned, thank you. I may also try a fork sometime as that might hold my hair better.

Cg
April 22nd, 2019, 11:28 AM
I and several others have always had greater success with forks than sticks. With sticks, I add also 3-4 long Amish pins.

Thick hair may not be long enough for nautilus at TBL. I second the idea of trying LWB.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2019, 12:00 PM
I have been trying to do the nautilus bun for the past few days and sometimes it works and other times it does not, or it's not secure enough. I have watched plenty of tutorials on youtube and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, wether it's the placement of my stick or what. At the moment I have mostly been wearing my hair in braids or down as I can't get it up. I suppose I just wanted to vent and see if anyone else has problems or advice as most people seem to be able to do this beautiful style.

It all depends on how thin or thick your hair is, whether or not you can do a certain type of bun.

I have iii hair and had to wait to hip for a LWB (lazy wrap bun). A nautilus I can only start to do at classic to FTL.

So it might be the thickness of your hair making things uncomfortable or not sturdy enough.

So... how thick/thin is your hair? i, ii, or iii. You simply measure the circumference by measuring around a ponytail (not including the elastic, goes without saying, but I'll just mention it anyway).

ETA/ Just read you have very thick hair - there might be your answer! Maybe try a LWB.

Izzyivy
April 22nd, 2019, 12:44 PM
Good news, I have successfully managed to do the lazy wrap bun! Thanks to everyone for the advice, now I can finally start wearing my hair up for work. I will definitely buy a couple of forks to try as I feel this may be more stable than a stick for my thick hair.

JulyFun
April 22nd, 2019, 01:40 PM
I have the same problem with not being able to do buns... For me it's a mix of reltively thick hair, and a lack of dexterity and spatial awareness. I have managed the Nautilus bun ( with no sticks) since it's quite simple, but it took a while for my hair to be long enough.

Pearly~91
April 22nd, 2019, 03:03 PM
I also suggest anchoring with a couple pins as well as a fork if you want to add support to some buns. Either stiff u pins or spin/screw pins.

MusicalSpoons
April 22nd, 2019, 03:19 PM
My initial problems upon finding LHC and hair-friendly styles were the opposite of yours - too much length for my lack of thickness (and the compressibility) so the middles of any centre-held bun would fall out :lol: for that too, forks were the answer! [Plus double-wrapping, but that's no use to you at the moment with thick hair.]

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations for reaching one of your first goals! :cheer:

zmirina
April 22nd, 2019, 05:55 PM
My braids "shed" a lot, which bothers me greatly. I do not have layers, but my hair is cut in a very defined U, as pieces that frame my face were bleached into oblivion, and at some point crumbled almost to the root, while the rest of the length was more or less intact. I have tried twisting the strands in and applying oils, but my hair is very waywardly straight, so not much can be done.

lithostoic
April 22nd, 2019, 06:02 PM
I can't do many buns with just a stick. I prefer forks bc you can bun looser and more comfortably. Definitely get a fork.

Izzyivy
April 23rd, 2019, 03:43 AM
I have the same problem with not being able to do buns... For me it's a mix of reltively thick hair, and a lack of dexterity and spatial awareness. I have managed the Nautilus bun ( with no sticks) since it's quite simple, but it took a while for my hair to be long enough.

I have the exact same problem, I am no good at the hand movements required. I wish I could do more elaborate stuff but I just can't. For some reason the nautilus bun rarely holds for me but I will continue to practice it untill I get it right. I will get there eventually it will just take lots of practice!

Izzyivy
April 23rd, 2019, 03:45 AM
My initial problems upon finding LHC and hair-friendly styles were the opposite of yours - too much length for my lack of thickness (and the compressibility) so the middles of any centre-held bun would fall out :lol: for that too, forks were the answer! [Plus double-wrapping, but that's no use to you at the moment with thick hair.]

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations for reaching one of your first goals! :cheer:

Thank you for the welcome, I love it here!

Izzyivy
April 23rd, 2019, 03:46 AM
I can't do many buns with just a stick. I prefer forks bc you can bun looser and more comfortably. Definitely get a fork.

I can definitely see a fork being more useful to me, I have one ordered.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2019, 04:35 AM
I can definitely see a fork being more useful to me, I have one ordered.

I always use my 2 prong forks over a stick, it's a little more sturdy but not too much hold that it gives me a headache. ;)