PDA

View Full Version : Long Silk/Satin Bonnet for long hair

Ligeia Noire
April 20th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Who is being prolific lately? Yes I know.

So, as my hair has been getting progressively longer I have noticed that it is harder to sleep with it simply on an english braid.
For one, I have always got a lot of braid shred but as my ends get older, the hairs are more fragile and the shred does not help with splits.
Also, because my braid, somehow, flips over my head and down my bed and I sometimes wake up with headaches that started as scalp aches....
So I was thinking about getting a bonnet to get it contained, the problem is I do not want to wear my hair up at night too. I wear it up every single day and I want to give my scalp a rest at night, so a traditional bonnet was not going to work because you have to wear your hair up.
So, I thought, what if I drop by Joann's and buy a couple of yards of silk or a satin weave and make me a bag to slip my braid in.... I do sew a bit and all but then I thought of etsy, let me see what they have and voilą, I have found the Sassy hair cap:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/467132833/sassy-hair-cap-satin-sleep-cap-black-or

Granted, mine needs to be way longer but this would be perrrrrrrrrfect, I have already messaged the seller to see if they can make me one that is at least 70 inches and I know it will probably slip off but I might just tighten it or even just slide it around my nape and not my head, like a scrunchie. I am mostly looking for to protect the length not so much the scalp, the braid would be contained and out of the way and harder to slide over and down my head.... but most of all, less shred and if the shred happens, which it will, it wont be getting as much damage. It does not matter that I have a satin pillowcase, my hair reaches way further than that...
This beautiful curly haired lady made a video on it and it just encouraged me more, if they cannot make me one that long, I ll make it myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM27SasUKpU

I have never really thought about sleeping with a bonnet but old horses can learn new tricks, what about you with hair quite long, what do you think about this sassy thing?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2019, 02:10 AM
I think it's certainly worth a try, if you can get or make one to fit! Those look really good.

ladyfey
April 21st, 2019, 07:48 AM
I bought a hair bonnet for sleeping when my hair was floor length. The bonnet comes down to the middle of my back, but my hair fits in it even while loose. I just put it over my head and push all the hair in. It did pretty well at staying on too!

milosmomma
April 21st, 2019, 09:52 AM
That's a pretty sweet invention there! I think it's worth a shot. You also gave me an idea when you mentioned getting silky fabric from joanns, what about a paranda made from strips of silk/satin fabric? I have a couple coupons for joanns, perhaps I'll give it a whirl :)

MusicalSpoons
April 21st, 2019, 10:11 AM
That's a pretty sweet invention there! I think it's worth a shot. You also gave me an idea when you mentioned getting silky fabric from joanns, what about a paranda made from strips of silk/satin fabric? I have a couple coupons for joanns, perhaps I'll give it a whirl :)

Love that idea - I've recently been trying out satin ribbon as a kind of paranda for my ends, but the ribbon and my ends are so thin they end up looking crimped, rather than paranda waves. Prompted by your post, I looked on eBay for satin offcuts, thinking they might have long but thin remnants, possibly - then realised that all the ribbon listings for 1m would be far too short for a proper paranda! Even a 'sew the top of 3 strips together' kind of thing would be far too short to start at the top of a braid :lol: #longhairproblems

Ligeia that looks a really good idea! Even if you rolled up your braid to fit in the standard size, it would still keep it from strangling you :D I loved my satin bonnet except the elastic rubbed away at my hairline, or if I wore it lower, across my forehead, caused deep wrinkles that took a worryingly long time to disappear every day. You've inspired me to start thinking again about ways a satin bonnet could work, as I liked that my hair could be loose underneath (organised, starting in an unsecured bun, but loose) :hmm:

nycelle
April 21st, 2019, 10:31 AM
The only thing I'd be concerned about, is making sure the inside of that bonnet has the same satin weave as the outside since most don't. I don't know why they make them that way but they do. And the inside never feels nice, it's always rougher and never as smooth.

Ligeia Noire
April 21st, 2019, 10:55 AM
Yeah i think i might be on to something...

*Nycelle* according to the details, the interior is made of ultra smooth satin...

*MusicalSpoons* i was thinking about that but if the bonnet is standard size I'll have too much braid left and it will weigh it down and pull on the head part...
I definetly don't plan on sleeping with it loose because it would be a tangle mess.

*Milosmomma* i thought about that too just wrapping fabric around the braid but i think a bag for it that is secured around my nape or forehead is more practical.

*Lady fey* i am afraid my hair would tangle too much and also weigh the bonnet down til it slips off. My texture is the kind that tangles when i sneeze.

*Sarah* i think it might work but still waiting for their reply...

MusicalSpoons
April 21st, 2019, 10:58 AM
MusicalSpoons i was thinking about that but if the bonnet is standard size I'll have too much braid left and it will weigh it down and pull on the head part...
I definetly don't plan on sleeping with it loose because it would be a tangle mess.

Oh true - I forget that some people have enough hair to actually have some weight to it :grin:

Ligeia Noire
April 21st, 2019, 11:28 AM
But maybe it won't i dont know, never wore one :confused:

hinabelle
April 21st, 2019, 11:57 AM
...I NEED it!!
Thanks for sharing. :D