PDA

View Full Version : Funny conversation with my dad

ChloeDharma
November 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM
My father was just on his way out and asked if i'd get something in for dinner tonight. So after a brief pause i go "i was thinking about salmon" he goes "what's that?" i looked at him and was like "um...it's a kind of fish!" he goes "i know that! But what's it for??" i go "are you having a laugh??! :confused:" and he goes "no, what do you want it for?!" (we tend to get quite animated when we talk) so i'm like "to eat you plank!" he goes "well i never know with you what you want things for, i thought you might be putting it on your bleedin 'air or something!"

I found this so funny because it's true and actually really reasonable for him to not know with food if i want to eat it or use it in some hair or skin potion. I thought maybe some of you could relate to this :p

By the way, it may sound rude me calling my dad a plank, but that's how we are in my family and it's understood there's no nastyness in it.
Anyway, just thought i'd share :)

Addy
November 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
That's funny.

The other day, DH wanted to use some of that oil stuff in the bathroom to cook with! :D

longhairedfairy
November 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM
That's funny!
What does it mean when you call someone a plank? It obviously means something a bit different here, lol.

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Hee hee! Thanks for sharing, that is FUNNY!

ChloeDharma
November 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
That's funny!
What does it mean when you call someone a plank? It obviously means something a bit different here, lol.

Um, i'm not sure exactly how to explain it...i guess "fool" or it's like calling them stupid.

burns_erin
November 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hmmm...fish....Does your father know something we do not know? Anywho, with a mother who puts mushed cauliflower in her hair, I'd have to say i definitely know what you mean when it comes to hair and food.

SHELIAANN1969
November 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
That is so funny, my hubs kind of does the same thing, I will ask him for oil and he thinks I need it for my hair not to cook something with! haha

Alaia
November 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM
LOL! I can imagine using salmon in hair stuff (for the oils!) but the SMELL. To have your hair smelling of salmon would suck.

Nice conversation hehehe...

embee
November 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm not a product junkie, so this conversation would not happen in my home (being minimalist), but your post made me laugh out loud! I've read so many astonishing things on THLC about what to put on hair, use for hair, etc., that salmon might indeed be "a product"....

Tabitha
November 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Your dad is not daft Chloe: may I present to you JF Lazartigue Salmon Protein Hair Restorer (http://www.spasanctuary.com/jfl001.html). :D

I suppose we say plank because of the phrase "Thick as two short planks"?

Hypnotica
November 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hmmm...fish....Does your father know something we do not know? Anywho, with a mother who puts mushed cauliflower in her hair, I'd have to say i definitely know what you mean when it comes to hair and food.

Mushed cauliflower? :D

NightDaemon
November 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I don't know about the Mother Country or the New World, but at least in Australia, 'as thick as two short planks' is another way of saying stupid, so it could have evolved from that. Or it could be Cockney rhyming slang, you get some odd things from that.

Stagecoach
November 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
lol, that gave me a good laugh!

bunnii
November 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Lol BF always asks permission to use the EVOO :D

I love the word plank, it's one of my favourites, along with wally, berk. They all describe someone who's being silly or can't see the obvious :silly:

Newniepg
November 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
That is VERY funny! I tried egg yolk and yoghurt on my hair a while ago- my husband found it a bit strange that I was trundling up to the bathroom with edibles, he very sensibly refrained from mocking me though. :)

burns_erin
November 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Biotin/Vitamin B, she firmly believes it can "get into hair" and thicken it up, like some people take it orally. I do not know about absorbtion in hair, but there has been conflicting research saying it can be absorbed topically, so I guess it is possible it would be able to get in through the scalp. Personally I have added it to various mixxes.

spidermom
November 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Chromis
November 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
*chuckle* In the Pacific NorthWest saying "plank" and "salmon" in the same sentence will make people think of this:

ETA: Rats, photo didn't work, but basically picture a chunk of fish...on a plank!

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
That is so funny!

"You know you are a long hair when..." :wink:

joyfulmom4
November 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Too funny. That's a cute story.

Speckla
November 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM

mmmmmm...with grated cheese?:cheese:
________
Buy no2 vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/no2-vaporizer.html)

Xanthippe
November 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Haha! That's awesome! :lol: My dad once used my hair olive oil to cook with too.

CopperHead
November 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
:laugh: I love this story, ChloeDarma. I can imagine what your father was thinking. You with a salmon sitting on top of your head!

gdimoonbeam
November 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
That's a great story. The worst of it is how many of us stoped and thought hummmmmmmmmm......

ChloeDharma
November 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
That's a great story. The worst of it is how many of us stoped and thought hummmmmmmmmm......

Lol including me just after he said it! ;)

I'm glad the story gave you all a laugh....the "plank" thing like was suggested i think is from the saying "thick as 2 short planks" i'm just so used to it being used that i didn't really think much about it.

Tressie
November 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Ha, ha, ha! It sounds like you and family have a good time! This gave me a good laugh!

Amara
November 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM
HAHAHAH! That's hysterical.

MermaidGirl
November 7th, 2008, 02:46 AM
OMG that made me laugh out loud! Cute!

florenonite
November 7th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Hehe, I got "Canadians will put anything in their hair" the other day because I asked my flatmate where our flat beer had gone (we had a party last week), he told me he'd chucked it, and I'd said I'd wanted to try it in my hair. I then decided I'd have to settle for ACV instead, and that was when my flatmates decided that Canadians will put anything in our hair :D

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
sounds fishy to me!

neon-dream
November 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hahahha I love the expression 'plank'
My mam always asks me what I want food for hehe, my hair or to eat!
xxxx

longhairedfairy
November 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Just imagine the mess if you substituted broccoli. I bet all those little bits would be hard to get out!

mellie
November 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Haha, I can totally relate. DH was at a standstill at the grocery store the other day because I asked him to pick up some honey - he wasn't sure what to get because he knows I sometimes use it on my hair too, and the sweetie he is, he remembered that I like a certain kind when I use it for my hair.

He made the right guess though! I just wanted some regular clover honey to eat, and that's what he got! :-)

NiAosSi
November 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Lol! My husband doesn't know what's what at home... He is reluctant to touch ANYTHING. He thinks I might be doing something "special" with it. Even a glass of water in the sink, he asks to dump. What a "plank" lol. :p

gdimoonbeam
November 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Just imagine the mess if you substituted broccoli. I bet all those little bits would be hard to get out!

LUSH has a poo that has little pices of coconut. When I stand up after combing my hair out there are littel pices all around that makes me think of bugs.

Mishka_84
November 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Lol. That is hilarious! DH hasn't started assuming everything is for my hair yet, but he's beginning to enjoy the side benefits; he likes me to use my coconut oil to massage his shoulders with!

RoseRedDead
November 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
This is hilarious.... My family isn't to the point where they think that much about my hair, but they swear up and down that they will forever think of me when they smell vinegar...

mellie
November 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
NiAosSi said:

Lol! My husband doesn't know what's what at home... He is reluctant to touch ANYTHING. He thinks I might be doing something "special" with it. Even a glass of water in the sink, he asks to dump.

Haha, yes, it is like that in our house too!! It must be tough to be the SO of an LHCer!!

Forever_Sophie
November 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
LOL That's cute! :)

danacc
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Yep, grocery shopping does not necessarily have anything to do with meals!

Interesting on the origin of "plank". Where I live, "thick" can equate to stupid or slow-thinking. I wonder if it has origin in the same phrase and we just shortened it to the first part instead of the latter?

ETA: I hadn't heard the phrase "thick as 2 short planks" before, either.